NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-03-2020, 11:26 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default Prewar v. Postwar & Big Names...?

For those of you who find most of your posts to be either on this section of the boards, or at least equally divided between prewar and postwar - this is a thread to discuss how you feel about “big name” cards from either era:

I occasionally wonder about my collection, as I realize from time to time that while I have a treasure trove of stars and HOF’ers from the 1950’s and later - the same is not true of my prewar collection. While I do have some type-stuff for prewar and a couple of nice cards here and there - yeah, there are no Goudey Ruth’s or T206’s Cobbs. The issue of how / if folks choose to afford these is what is intriguing to me at the moment. For some that predate my time in the hobby this will not apply, but I started collecting as a kid at age 9 in 1986, getting into “old” cards a few years after that. Old at the time meant anything from 1950 to 1980, generally. Basically I have always thought of the situation as me being priced out of “big name” prewar cards from the getgo. Yes, Goudey HOF’ers were much cheaper in the 1980’s and 90’s then they are today, but as a kid with a limited budget then, it was always relative. When I was a kid, one sometimes saw cards like that at shows, but for the most part, the multiple LCS’s in every town back then did not have a huge inventory of prewar cards. It was the ‘50s on with Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Koufax, Williams, etc. etc. that was most popular, so as a kid this is what I got into, despite a limited budget. Postwar will always be my first love because of this, and I’m fine with that - but every so often I get to daydreaming, and thoughts like “Well, I could sell these 4 or 5 cards here and probably afford a low grade Goudey Gehrig...” start creeping into my head. Funny enough I’ve never been able to pull the trigger in that vein, though. I think subconsciously at least for me, it’s the idea of a certain amount of $$ tied up in one card, or maybe a couple of cards, and what I am comfortable with. Even in lower grade, many of those marquee prewar names are going to be “comma cards” as I recently saw them referred to, insinuating that they are over $1,000. I’ve just never been able to go for that really. I have on rare occasions spent sums approaching that for a key postwar card, but most of my purchases are much smaller than that. A $100 card is still a big deal to me for postwar. Also another factor - not that I’m a condition snob, but I do like midgrade cards for postwar and not beaters. Doing this with prewar names is going to be virtually impossible on my budget, sans you seeing my face on the news for winning the latest Powerball. I guess the idea of spending that much on a card, and knowing it’s still apt to be creased or beat up is a turnoff for me - whether subconscious or not. I routinely find myself looking at T206 HOF’ers on eBay and thinking jeez, they want that much for a PSA 2?

All this to ask - thoughts? Have you been in this boat yourself? Have you ever liquidated a large postwar collection for prewar dollars or vice-versa? Were you happy with your decision?

An odd topic maybe, but this kind of thing intrigues me...

Happy New Year!
-John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-03-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:31 PM
Steve Birmingham

For me it has been mostly luck and a lack of much caring about condition.
Both T206 Cobbs I have were $50 each, but are beaters.

The big names have always been a bit expensive, I really should have bought more 50's and 60's stars back in the late 70's. But to me, they were not only "expensive" (Hardly any were even over $50 when I started) But seemed to be pretty much available whenever I might decide I wanted one.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:35 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
For those of you who find most of your posts to be either on this section of the boards, or at least equally divided between prewar and postwar - this is a thread to discuss how you feel about “big name” cards from either era:

I occasionally wonder about my collection, as I realize from time to time that while I have a treasure trove of stars and HOF’ers from the 1950’s and later - the same is not true of my prewar collection. While I do have some type-stuff for prewar and a couple of nice cards here and there - yeah, there are no Goudey Ruth’s or T206’s Cobbs. The issue of how / if folks choose to afford these is what is intriguing to me at the moment. For some that predate my time in the hobby this will not apply, but I started collecting as a kid at age 9 in 1986, getting into “old” cards a few years after that. Old at the time meant anything from 1950 to 1980, generally. Basically I have always thought of the situation as me being priced out of “big name” prewar cards from the getgo. Yes, Goudey HOF’ers were much cheaper in the 1980’s and 90’s then they are today, but as a kid with a limited budget then, it was always relative. When I was a kid, one sometimes saw cards like that at shows, but for the most part, the multiple LCS’s in every town back then did not have a huge inventory of prewar cards. It was the ‘50s on with Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Koufax, Williams, etc. etc. that was most popular, so as a kid this is what I got into, despite a limited budget. Postwar will always be my first love because of this, and I’m fine with that - but every so often I get to daydreaming, and thoughts like “Well, I could sell these 4 or 5 cards here and probably afford a low grade Goudey Gehrig...” start creeping into my head. Funny enough I’ve never been able to pull the trigger in that vein, though. I think subconsciously at least for me, it’s the idea of a certain amount of $$ tied up in one card, or maybe a couple of cards, and what I am comfortable with. Even in lower grade, many of those marquee prewar names are going to be “comma cards” as I recently saw them referred to, insinuating that they are over $1,000. I’ve just never been able to go for that really. I have on rare occasions spent sums approaching that for a key postwar card, but most of my purchases are much smaller than that. A $100 card is still a big deal to me for postwar. Also another factor - not that I’m a condition snob, but I do like midgrade cards for postwar and not beaters. Doing this with prewar names is going to be virtually impossible on my budget, sans you seeing my face on the news for winning the latest Powerball. I guess the idea of spending that much on a card, and knowing it’s still apt to be creased or beat up is a turnoff for me - whether subconscious or not. I routinely find myself looking at T206 HOF’ers on eBay and thinking jeez, they want that much for a PSA 2?

All this to ask - thoughts? Have you been in this boat yourself? Have you ever liquidated a large postwar collection for prewar dollars or vice-versa? Were you happy with your decision?

Happy New Year!
-John

Hi John,

Yes I have been exactly where you are now. I was lucky enough to pick up a bunch of my expensive cards years ago when they weren't as expensive. I have also sold many cards (post war) to fund pre-war purchases. My thought was the post war cards I'm selling would be easier to replace in the future. 50's HOF'ers don't seem to have the explosive price growth as pre-war. Therefore those cards shouldn't be a lot more expensive when I try and track them down in the future.

There have been a couple cards I've sold that I wish I hadn't (a really nice '48 leaf Jackie SGC 3 right before the huge price explosion) but overall there aren't many regrets. I think you would not regret selling some post-war and turning those into an iconic pre-war card of Ruth, Gehrig or Cobb etc. It will be tough deciding what to sell, but go through your cards and decide which ones you are willing to move and which ones you want to keep. Most post-war cards should be doable to replace. And don't worry to much about the grade of any iconic pre-war card. Many low grade examples have really nice eye appeal. I say go for it!!

And one final thought. I've been coming around full circle a bit. I've been buying more mid-grade Aaron, Koufax, Jackie and Clemente recently and have been enjoying hunting for really nice eye appeal examples. So once you get and iconic pre-war card, or two, you will be able to go back find those post-war gems when you decide the time is right.

Good luck John!
Old 01-03-2020, 06:10 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
Hi John,

Yes I have been exactly where you are now. I was lucky enough to pick up a bunch of my expensive cards years ago when they weren't as expensive. I have also sold many cards (post war) to fund pre-war purchases. My thought was the post war cards I'm selling would be easier to replace in the future. 50's HOF'ers don't seem to have the explosive price growth as pre-war. Therefore those cards shouldn't be a lot more expensive when I try and track them down in the future.

There have been a couple cards I've sold that I wish I hadn't (a really nice '48 leaf Jackie SGC 3 right before the huge price explosion) but overall there aren't many regrets. I think you would not regret selling some post-war and turning those into an iconic pre-war card of Ruth, Gehrig or Cobb etc. It will be tough deciding what to sell, but go through your cards and decide which ones you are willing to move and which ones you want to keep. Most post-war cards should be doable to replace. And don't worry to much about the grade of any iconic pre-war card. Many low grade examples have really nice eye appeal. I say go for it!!

And one final thought. I've been coming around full circle a bit. I've been buying more mid-grade Aaron, Koufax, Jackie and Clemente recently and have been enjoying hunting for really nice eye appeal examples. So once you get and iconic pre-war card, or two, you will be able to go back find those post-war gems when you decide the time is right.

Good luck John!
Solid advice on how to do it, but I'm still not sold. Here would be an example for me right now...

Say I give up:

'68 Ryan RC SGC 5.5
'63 Rose RC PSA 5
'48 Leaf Ted Williams PSA 2.5
and maybe 2 midgrade Mantle base cards from the late 60's...

I get for that $$:

...a PSA 1 '33 Goudey Ruth. And like a beater 1, probably not a 1 with strong eye appeal.

That's not a trade I would come close to making today, I can tell you that for sure. I don't know. Maybe years or decades from now, if I want to get rid of a lot more smaller-priced postwar cards, or get just tired of them or something. But I haven't gotten tired of them in more than 30 years...

To me multiple nice, mid-grade postwar cards > 1 beater prewar legend. At least right now, anyway. I suppose I might could be convinced otherwise for a really eye-appealing low grade or altered card.

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-03-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:15 PM
J0hn Collin$

PS - I do have a vague memory of seeing a yellow '33 Goudey Ruth PSA 1 at a show probably 20 years ago, I think for like $900. At the time I was in my early 20's and thought good grief - that much just for a 1?

Silly me. Oh btw, I also once had an E92 Cy Young in EX condition that cost me "only" about $500. You guessed it, I was not smart enough to hold onto it...

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-03-2020 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:16 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:

Happy New Year!
-John

John, I respectfully ask you to stay out of my head. Seriously though, your post is EXACTLY what I have been thinking about.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2020, 06:29 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
John, I respectfully ask you to stay out of my head. Seriously though, your post is EXACTLY what I have been thinking about.

LOL it's well established by now that you and I...uh, do this. Very similar collecting tastes. With the exception that I don't care for football.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:33 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
LOL it's well established by now that you and I...uh, do this. Very similar collecting tastes. With the exception that I don't care for football.
Well, I got bored with it as well. So I think that makes us exactly the same again. I am in the process of selling off the football, and I am really thinking about putting that money into some T206 HOFers or possibly Ruth or Gehrig.

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 01-03-2020 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:52 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

I collect (not invest) in baseball cards. I enjoy owning and looking at my cards. They give me joy. I won't make much on them, but shouldn't lose money.

I own several pre-war cards that are attractive 1.0 and 1.5s. They were very affordable and look great for the grades. Same is true with the 3.0s that I own for my 1950s and 60s collection.

Liquidate your 5.0 and 6.0's and buy the low grade pre-war cards. Then replace your 1950s/60s stars with good 3.0 grades. That is how I've come to terms with your dilemma. I'm happy with my decision. I have more cards to enjoy.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:58 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Quote:
Solid advice on how to do it, but I'm still not sold. Here would be an example for me right now...

Say I give up:

'68 Ryan RC SGC 5.5
'63 Rose RC PSA 5
'48 Leaf Ted Williams PSA 2.5
and maybe 2 midgrade Mantle base cards from the late 60's...

I get for that $$:

...a PSA 1 '33 Goudey Ruth. And like a beater 1, probably not a 1 with strong eye appeal.

That's not a trade I would come close to making today, I can tell you that for sure. I don't know. Maybe years or decades from now, if I want to get rid of a lot more smaller-priced postwar cards, or get just tired of them or something. But I haven't gotten tired of them in more than 30 years...

To me multiple nice, mid-grade postwar cards > 1 beater prewar legend. At least right now, anyway. I suppose I might could be convinced otherwise for a really eye-appealing low grade or altered card.
It's a tough decision for sure. You gotta do what makes you happy. But don't give up on the idea. You might be able to snag a nice eye appeal Goudey Gehrig. The cards in your example are great cards. However, I would guess they will be easier to replace down the line. Just a thought. Again, do what makes you happy. That's what this is all about. But, owning an iconic Ruth, Gehrig or Cobb, etc likely won't get any cheaper. Good luck John!
Old 01-03-2020, 08:29 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
I collect (not invest) in baseball cards. I enjoy owning and looking at my cards. They give me joy. I won't make much on them, but shouldn't lose money.

I own several pre-war cards that are attractive 1.0 and 1.5s. They were very affordable and look great for the grades. Same is true with the 3.0s that I own for my 1950s and 60s collection.

Liquidate your 5.0 and 6.0's and buy the low grade pre-war cards. Then replace your 1950s/60s stars with good 3.0 grades. That is how I've come to terms with your dilemma. I'm happy with my decision. I have more cards to enjoy.
Good advice. I have increasingly adopted this outlook and am essentially targeting the types of cards that would have made me happy when I first approached vintage many years ago.

Old 01-04-2020, 04:37 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
It's a tough decision for sure.
I would agree the prewar icons aren't getting any cheaper. Thanks again for the perspective. It would be much more doable if I could get comfortable with the idea of VG or lower for both prewar and postwar. I'm already there for the former, but not for 1950's and 60's cards. Not sure why that is, as Robert pointed out - as a 13 year-old in 1990, I was happy often even with creased-up postwar vintage star cards. I've seen other posts where people come full-circle, starting out collecting lower grade as a kid, moving up to nicer and even investment grade cards as adults when they have the money - and then later realizing they were just as happy with VG cards. I'm not there yet, although I have gone past the need to have PSA 7's or above in postwar vintage, realizing often times that I'm just as happy with a 4 or 5. We'll see, I guess.

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-04-2020 at 04:50 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:58 AM
Howard Chasser

Default It's about taste and eye appeal...

My focus for about 30 years had been postwar till I got my kids involved. To get them interested I had decided we would collect Pirate team sets from 1952-1973 (Clemente is the focus of my collection) which would include the early Topps sets through Clemente's last year of inclusion. After going to a bunch of card shows - my older son said "dad can we collect the old cigarette cards - they are really cool". I think my biggest hurdle was being very unfamiliar with all the nuances, pricing and variations in pre war - I didin't know the marketplace like I know post war. I used his request as an opportunity and quickly started learning. We now have a complete 33 Goudey Pirates set and are on our way with T206 (minus Wagner), T205, T207 and 1914-15 Cracker Jack. I have also decided that I really want to own a Ruth and Gehrigh card (maybe Cobb). I'm in no hurry, continue to watch the market and will pull the trigger when the time is right (right card for the right price).

Your question intimates that you don't put "new" money into cards as your example states you would sell off what you have for the potential new purchase? Is that true? If not, why not just save till you can buy the post war card (s) you speak of.
As others have mentioned numerous times - we should always collect what we enjoy! From your posts it sounds like you are enjoying post war right now a lot more than the thought of prewar.
Regarding grade - I echo the sentiment already expressed - eye appeal vs scarcity! In the case of certain rarities I am not very picky about condition. All of the cards you are speaking about are readily available any day of the week. I would hold out for one with great eye appeal - let the 3rd party grade be secondary - in the lower to mid grade ranges, Eye appeal varies widely!

Happy collecting
Old 01-04-2020, 07:47 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I feel for the Millennials. I was lucky enough to become aware of vintage cards as a kid in the late 1970s and to go to shows every weekend and collect prewar cards in the early 1990s when I was just out of school, still living like a student, but had a job that left me a lot of disposable income, so most of my valuable cards have been with me for decades. Most in slabs were self-submitted. As an Exhibit collector I also got lucky with some purchases in the late 1990s and early 2000s when I thought that Cobb, Gehrig, Johnson and Ruth were underpriced and bought a bunch of them. I honestly don't think I'd have the stomach to pay the prices of some of those cards today. Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled that cards I own have risen in value so substantially, but I have trepidations spending $500 on a card, so I get real indigestion over a four-figure purchase, which is where so many prewar HOFers are.

All that said, I don't know that I would sell cards that are stagnant and plow the money into cards that have skyrocketed of late. I might instead sell off as much as I wanted and establish a cash reserve either to go after well-priced auction lots or to buy on the downturn when the economy craps the bed again. Patience in this regard may be the real virtue.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-04-2020, 08:09 AM
Mel Quatt.lebaum

In line with this conversation, wondering How many actual collectors put a lot of “new” money into purchases or mainly just sell in order to purchase more desired cards.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:27 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mq711 View Post
In line with this conversation, wondering How many actual collectors put a lot of “new” money into purchases or mainly just sell in order to purchase more desired cards.
This is a fair point. I was putting new money into my collection for years. However, I have been in the process of retooling. By the time the process is over, it will have taken a year or a little more. I am selling off sets, including a bunch of 60s football, and plugging that money back into baseball card stars and rookies. This is going to enable me to pick up a few significant names that I have always wanted to own. It will also make my collection far easier to handle and view. Plus it is fun spending that money all over again!!

Old 01-04-2020, 08:56 AM
Ben North

Quote:
To this great question. I was gifted a few handfuls of mainly 60's cards as a little kid. They sat untouched till the mid 80's when I got into collecting. From those cards I now have a room full of a few 100k cards plus several bats and a lot of miscellaneous odd ball items. I have never spent a penny out of pocket for anything I now have through trading and selling of items I already had.

As to modern, post war and pre war collecting. I have collected all of it at one time or another as my focus is always changing. I am currently trading/selling off stuff to add to my Eddie Mathews collection and Wade Boggs bat collection.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:03 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
Your question intimates that you don't put "new" money into cards as your example states you would sell off what you have for the potential new purchase? Is that true? If not, why not just save till you can buy the post war card (s) you speak of.
I do, it's just not a ton. Recently I used part of an inheritance to pickup some higher priced postwar cards that had always been on my list - and this is not a regret, as I said it's my first love and there were some things I wanted to take care of there first. But in terms of my normal spending, it's maybe a couple hundred dollars a year on cards. I could do more, but don't really want to make my hobby any large part of the family budget or anything like that. As a result, in my normal spending mode it's rare that I will spend more than $100 on a single card. Saving is of course an option, it just feels like such a long shot.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:06 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I feel for the Millennials.
I'm 42, so technically at the tail end of Gen X, but feel kind of in that boat. I missed out on 70's and early 80's shows when things were somewhat reasonable. By the time I got into old cards it was the early 90's, and while certainly cheaper than today - price trends were already outlined and generally on the rise. I never knew a "cheap" Mantle card, and the same can be said for many of his contemporaries. Things like Goudey and tobacco cards were rarely seen outside of shows when I was a kid, and of course there they were not in line with my budget as a teenager.

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-04-2020 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:09 AM
J0hn Collin$

Just as an FYI - my "stopgap" to this dilemma with prewar right now, is that if I can't go after the biggest names, I will go after my favorite team, the Cubs. This has worked out nicely so far, even though as basically a huge type collection, I have almost an unlimited amount of things I can go after. I picked up a nice 1915 Cracker Jack Hippo Vaughn for Christmas...

Time will tell I guess if this proves as fulfilling to me in the long run as postwar stars.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:37 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
I've been on a kill-eat basis for several years. College costs are really high.

Or not...
Old 01-04-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I'm 42, so technically at the tail end of Gen X, but feel kind of in that boat. I missed out on 70's and early 80's shows when things were somewhat reasonable. By the time I got into old cards it was the early 90's, and while certainly cheaper than today - price trends were already outlined and generally on the rise. I never knew a "cheap" Mantle card, and the same can be said for many of his contemporaries. Things like Goudey and tobacco cards were rarely seen outside of shows when I was a kid, and of course there they were not in line with my budget as a teenager.
I’m 43...I often say “I’m not a millennial, I’m a bicentennial” (not many laugh).

But I hear you...I feel like we were late to the game. And the money we spent on junk wax? Ugh!

My collection has gone through a number of transitions over the years, plus plenty of quite times of inactivity.

I don’t put a lot of “new money” into my collection. Of course, I don’t often spend more than $50 on a single card (and over $100 only a handful). My ‘76 and ‘77 projects are exceptions, but most of what I’ve been doing the last few years is selling off ungraded stuff and buying graded.

The “new money” I put in is mostly paying my eBay monthly fees and buying some stamps for shipping small lots. Other than that I *try* to only buy out of sales.

So, for 30+ years of collecting, I don’t have a super collection to show off, but it’s been a lot of fun and I’m constantly consolidating and getting more and more cool stuff.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:14 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
I feel like we were late to the game. And the money we spent on junk wax?
Oh, tell me about it. I'm still waiting for all those Jose Canseco, Gregg Jeffries, Todd Van Poppel, Jerome Walton, and Kevin Maas cards to suddenly skyrocket in value so I can payoff my mortgage and retire early. Fraud! The only thing our generation really got to show for our efforts was the '89 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr.

I'll be 43 next month, so right there with you. I was lucky growing up to have a mother who indulged my vintage card habit, even if that meant making my father mad at the money she would spend on me. Back then that was beat up 1950's and 60's cards, but there were some Mantles and Aarons and the like in the mix just the same. That's part of the reason this type of decision is so hard for me. I grew up that way, and honestly am just very invested in a lot of the classic postwar cards.

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-04-2020 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:40 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Oh, tell me about it. I'm still waiting for all those Jose Canseco, Gregg Jeffries, Todd Van Poppel, Jerome Walton, and Kevin Maas cards to suddenly skyrocket in value so I can payoff my mortgage and retire early. What a gyp! The only thing our generation really got to show for our efforts was the '89 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr.

I'll be 43 next month, so right there with you. I was lucky growing up to have a mother who indulged my vintage card habit, even if that meant making my father mad at the money she would spend on me. Back then that was beat up 1950's and 60's cards, but there were some Mantles and Aarons and the like in the mix just the same. That's part of the reason this type of decision is so hard for me. I grew up that way, and honestly am just very invested in a lot of the classic postwar cards.
Along with my vintage efforts, I have gone back and picked up some of those 80s cards/sets (like '84 Fleer Update) that were out of my reach back then.

Old 01-04-2020, 01:51 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
I have gone back and picked up some of those 80s cards/sets
Oh I know, me too. I finally got an '84 Donruss Mattingly this year. And for like 20 bucks!

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-04-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:54 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Oh I know, me too. I finally got an '84 Donruss Mattingly this year. And for like 20 bucks!
Good stuff! I think that '84 Donruss may be my favorite 80s set! Just a lot of memories from childhood wrapped up with it. Topps was all I had ever known. The first few times I saw Donruss and Fleer cards, I didn't know what to think! I need to get back to some 80s pick-ups soon.

Old 01-04-2020, 02:20 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Good stuff! I think that '84 Donruss may be my favorite 80s set! Just a lot of memories from childhood wrapped up with it. Topps was all I had ever known. The first few times I saw Donruss and Fleer cards, I didn't know what to think! I need to get back to some 80s pick-ups soon.

For me that's like the '87 Fleer set. They were hard to find, and cost more. Oooh, an '87 Fleer Bo Jackson... LOL.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:26 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
(like '84 Fleer Update)
Robert, speaking of which -

I have been after an '84 Fleer Update Kirby Puckett for some time. I love that card. Haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. That was always one of those "out of reach" 80's cards for me.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:26 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
For me that's like the '87 Fleer set. They were hard to find, and cost more. Oooh, an '87 Fleer Bo Jackson... LOL.
Bo Jackson was an absolute stud! The only '87 set I have is Topps, but I have always liked the looks of the Fleer set from that year. '86 Topps Traded Tiffany would be sweet....(especially the Bo)

Old 01-04-2020, 02:28 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Robert, speaking of which -

I have been after an '84 Fleer Update Kirby Puckett for some time. I love that card. Haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. That was always one of those "out of reach" 80's cards for me.
I understand totally. I always wanted that one and the Clemens. That particular set was always mysterious to me as a teenager in that I hardly ever actually saw it and, when I did, those cards were way out of my reach. It was satisfying picking up that set a couple of years ago.

Old 01-04-2020, 06:56 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

I have collected lower grade pre-war for so long now, I guess it has allowed me to have a higher acceptance for lower post-war grades. I've found 4's even 3's to be very pleasing and not really expensive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img163.jpg (79.4 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg img111.jpg (79.6 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg img216.jpg (80.4 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg img208.jpg (79.1 KB, 142 views)
Old 01-04-2020, 07:28 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
I have collected lower grade pre-war for so long now, I guess it has allowed me to have a higher acceptance for lower post-war grades. I've found 4's even 3's to be very pleasing and not really expensive.

Nice cards...

Old 01-04-2020, 07:30 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Sweet stuff, Dean! I have started collecting in a similar fashion. I used to think I had to have high grade but have changed. One of my favorites is a PSA 3 Koufax rookie. Acceptance for lower grades has been very liberating for me personally.

Old 01-04-2020, 07:51 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Thanks guys! I feel the same way too Robert. It is liberating to be more accepting of lower grades. I'm still a centering snob though.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:02 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Thanks guys! I feel the same way too Robert. It is liberating to be more accepting of lower grades. I'm still a centering snob though.
Lol! We all have our bottom lines and standards. Centering are noticeable creasing are mine.

Old 01-04-2020, 08:11 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I also meant to add that this goes back to the old quantity vs. quality debate. Not that cards with low technical grades and high eye appeal aren't quality. I'm referring to the hypothetical "If you had $5000 (or whatever) to spend, would you rather have one card, two cards, five, etc. " You know how it goes. If there's one thing I have learned about my collecting self over the years is that I like to have a taste of a wide variety of cards. For example, my Banks rookie is a 4, Aaron a 3, and Koufax a 3. I personally would rather have it that way than one of these in higher grade. Others may differ, and that is fine. That's what makes the collecting world go around.

I hope to land both a red and green portrait T206 Cobb in the next few months with the proceeds of some sales. I am aiming at a 2 or 2.5 for each most likely. Frankly, I am suspicious of anything that old that looks too good anyway...

Thanks for this thread, John!

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 01-04-2020 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I understand totally. I always wanted that one and the Clemens. That particular set was always mysterious to me as a teenager in that I hardly ever actually saw it and, when I did, those cards were way out of my reach. It was satisfying picking up that set a couple of years ago.

Was just looking at graded versions of the Clemens the other day on eBay...maybe some day!
Old 01-04-2020, 08:40 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
Was just looking at graded versions of the Clemens the other day on eBay...maybe some day!
That's a dream card for us 80s guys. Good luck!!!

Old 01-04-2020, 10:13 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

If I had 5K to spend, I'd buy 1-2 cards that I otherwise would not be able to buy. The lower cost cards will be easier to cobble together over time.

Good luck on landing your Cobb. I don't think you'll regret it.

Wanted to add. The red Cobb can be deceptively tough to land with nice centering and registration. But well worth it when one surfaces.

Last edited by DeanH3; 01-04-2020 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:09 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
If I had 5K to spend, I'd buy 1-2 cards that I otherwise would not be able to buy. The lower cost cards will be easier to cobble together over time.

Good luck on landing your Cobb. I don't think you'll regret it.

Wanted to add. The red Cobb can be deceptively tough to land with nice centering and registration. But well worth it when one surfaces.
Regarding the spending of the hypothetical $5K, I agree. That is a level I am rarely at and would probably only be the result of having made a lot of sales. I have told myself if I ever got in that position that I would acquire a card or two that I otherwise couldn't touch. The smaller, lower grade stuff I can probably afford any time.

I have set my sights on the two Cobbs at this point. There are plenty of other candidates. A nice Clemente rookie or a Ted Williams rookie also cross my mind as do one of the '33 Goudey Ruth's (especially 53 or 149). Gehrig ('33 or '34 #37) is also someone who I would spend big on. And there's always Mantle...'53 Bowman and '56 Topps.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:15 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

One exercise that might be interesting is to attend a large show like the National and walk the floor to get a feel for how much material is around. You will see a ton of high-graded slabbed postwar, a ton of postwar raw, and limited quantities of prewar. The more obscure prewar issue and postwar regional stuff will be few and far between. If rarity is your thing, that's the focus. It is for me. I would rather own one of a handful of known cards than one of thousands of known cards.

The corollary discussion of course is the relationship between rarity and demand. The 1952 Topps Mantle is the most extreme example. It is an easy card: every major auction has one and there are dozens at every National. Just a matter of shelling out the cash. Demand drives that card. A 1952 National Tea label is hella rare in any circumstance, way more than the Mantle, but no one except a few player and type collectors have even heard of them.

Or not...
Old 01-05-2020, 12:37 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
One exercise that might be interesting is to attend a large show like the National and walk the floor to get a feel for how much material is around. You will see a ton of high-graded slabbed postwar, a ton of postwar raw, and limited quantities of prewar. The more obscure prewar issue and postwar regional stuff will be few and far between. If rarity is your thing, that's the focus. It is for me. I would rather own one of a handful of known cards than one of thousands of known cards.

The corollary discussion of course is the relationship between rarity and demand. The 1952 Topps Mantle is the most extreme example. It is an easy card: every major auction has one and there are dozens at every National. Just a matter of shelling out the cash. Demand drives that card. A 1952 National Tea label is hella rare in any circumstance, way more than the Mantle, but no one except a few player and type collectors have even heard of them.
Good point. I actually had this same observation last April at Leon's big show in Texas. About 200 tables. Tons and tons of 50s Topps...absolutely staggering. Not much prewar to be had. I purchased a couple of Cobbs and Lajoies. That show had quite an impact on my thoughts on collecting. I was shocked at how common even the significant cards of the 50s are. I have mostly had a prewar mindset since as a result.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:45 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default Prewar v. Postwar & Big Names...?

Well I did pick this up today, after not quite fully poor-mouthing in this post about the lack of anything substantial in my prewar collection...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-08-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:15 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Quote:
Well I did pick this up today, after not quite fully poor-mouthing in this post about the lack of anything substantial in my prewar collection...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well done John. That's a truly iconic card. Great choice! Congrats!
Old 01-08-2020, 01:53 PM
David M.

Quote:
Good point. I actually had this same observation last April at Leon's big show in Texas. About 200 tables. Tons and tons of 50s Topps...absolutely staggering. Not much prewar to be had. I purchased a couple of Cobbs and Lajoies. That show had quite an impact on my thoughts on collecting. I was shocked at how common even the significant cards of the 50s are. I have mostly had a prewar mindset since as a result.

I know what you mean. I used to think all of that stuff was rare because I certainly never found any of it "out in the wild". But between auctions and all the ebay listings, nothing from this era seems really rare to me anymore. It's just not common, like 1990's cards, and it's going to cost you a lot more to acquire.