NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-05-2013, 04:53 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Default Horizontal t206's

Anyone know how many there are off the tops of their heads? I know there are these 6 but I'm not terribly familiar with the set and don't know if I missed any.

Birmingham, Cleveland
Mullin, Detroit
Murphy, Phila Amer.
Pattee, Brooklyn
Pelty, St. Louis Amer.
Powell, St. Louis
Old 02-05-2013, 05:08 PM
MikeHealer

I believe some consider the Dunn, Baltimore a horizontal card. However the six you mentioned are the accepted ones.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehealer View Post
I believe some consider the Dunn, Baltimore a horizontal card. However the six you mentioned are the accepted ones.
I consider Dunn a vertical card when buying one and a horizontal one when I sell one

(Though I have never done either. I still need him)

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 02-05-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
I consider Dunn a vertical card when buying one and a horizontal one when I sell one

(Though I have never done neither. I still need him)
So true. +1
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Dunn is a vertical card.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 02-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Jim R

some consider Dunn horizontal but the 6 in the op are the only six horizontals in the set.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Mike

Yes Dunn is a Vertical card... just having a little fun.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:40 AM
Mike C@.v3

Something to think about...

Let's say for arguments sake, Dunn is in fact in a vertical pose. However, can we argue that although it may be a vertical pose, it was meant to be looked at horizontally? I know I am not alone in my thinking that it looks a lot better horizontally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 01-15-2014, 12:00 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
Something to think about...

Let's say for arguments sake, Dunn is in fact in a vertical pose. However, can we argue that although it may be a vertical pose, it was meant to be looked at horizontally? I know I am not alone in my thinking that it looks a lot better horizontally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can never assume intentions. For me though the card looks strange horizontal, but everyone can display as they like.

Whether you see the card as horizontal or vertical may never really be changed.

Sort of like Optical Illusions:
Old 01-15-2014, 12:46 PM
Miguel Sz@b@nĄ&

Maybe this has been talked about already but - the cards from this set were all based off of photographs right? I'm not sure that camera technology such as telephoto lenses and fast shutter speeds were available in the early 20th century. The ability to capture an action shot of a player diving for a ball would have been difficult if not impossible.

Just a thought. I personally enjoy seeing the card displayed horizontally, I'm just not convinced that was the intention.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:50 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
I have been wondering if there has been a single picture of a diving catch prior to the web being put on the glove? I haven't seen one (that is not saying much as I am young and don't collect vintage photos). I have seen posed images on Old Judge, but those have always seemed more of sliding for a fast ground ball. Too me it seems that without the web of the glove a dive for a ball would not be the smarter move as I would assume the impact of the ground would knock the ball loose more times than not. Especially if you aren't going to brace for the fall as you would have to assume Dunn is not doing if you want to believe this is horizontal.

Again. I am not saying they didn't dive but I haven't seen evidence that they did.
[QUOTE=bn2cardz;1228184]
Even if I am wrong and it is a diving catch, I would love to see a vintage photo of a diving catch because, as stated previously, I haven't seen one.QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julz24 View Post
Maybe this has been talked about already but - the cards from this set were all based off of photographs right? I'm not sure that camera technology such as telephoto lenses and fast shutter speeds were available in the early 20th century. The ability to capture an action shot of a player diving for a ball would have been difficult if not impossible.

Just a thought. I personally enjoy seeing the card displayed horizontally, I'm just not convinced that was the intention.

I had brought it up, but not for the sake of the Cameras (but I agree for that reason also). I really just can't imagine trying to dive for a ball with a finger glove and be expected to catch the ball. I would love to see a non staged photo of it happening. It would be a neat find.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:27 PM

A fellow board member and collector pointed out yet another card where the artist took the liberty to rotate the image (once again) about 20-25 degrees counterclockwise. Found at T206resource.com, you can also see the same artistic tilt effect used on the Patsy Dougherty card.

Although the debate of horizontal vs. vertical might be getting a bit old, this discussion does give a little insight into how these cards were originally laid out and cropped by the artists who helped create what we call The Monster.

It seems like in each case (Bender, Dunn, and now Dougherty) the guy laying out the artwork on the card rotated the image about 20 degrees counterclockwise. In the case of the Dunn, it creates an odd effect if you view the card vertically, but with Bender and Dougherty it fits the card.

I can also see why the artist took these liberties -- he/she had a fairly narrow window to work within, so these changes were possibly made to make the player "fit" on the image space of the card, without having to show a bunch of dead space above the player.

In conclusion, I believe the original image used for the Dunn was a shot of him standing upright to make a basket catch. However, it is possible that the intention of the artist was to give the viewer the effect that Dunn is diving -- it's possible.

Here's the Dougherty comparison, and what I think the Dunn card would've looked like if the artist did not use the tilt effect (notice all the dead space I had to leave above Dunn, almost making it look like an E card)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DoughertyAIAComp.jpg (56.6 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg 1909_1911_t206_jack_dunn_baltimore.jpg (24.9 KB, 265 views)
Old 01-16-2014, 08:18 PM
Belltown Vintage

Last edited by Runscott; 01-19-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Ad@m Be11

This thread has me losing my mind. I have 5 Dunns sitting on my desk right now, all positioned at different angles, and have completely lost it. It's my opinion that the diagonal theory is probably correct, but that the original artist knew he'd be messing with all of us when he designed the card. Seriously though, by using the diagonal pose, it allows the artist to include more of his arms. If Dunn was physically unable to lift his arms high and they would have included a normal vertical image, his glove would be off the print area of the card. The distance from his right shoulder to the end of the glove is longer than the width of the print area. This is why they tilted the image to allow his full arms to be depicted.
E106: 4/48
E210-1: Completed December 2013
R319: 43/240