NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Steve Birmingham

Default Piedmont 150 plate scratch(es) progress II

Finally made the puzzle out of the ones seen so far. Made a bunch of paper P150 backs, and drew the known scratches in by hand. That gives me something concrete to work with.

It's looking promising.

A bunch of pairs or blocks, nothing huge but decent so far.

Enough to now know the damaged plate was used for at least 3 different sheets.

This is almost certain.
There are scratches for some 150 only subjects, as well as many from those printed with some 350 backs.

There are also pairs with the same scratch, indicating that they were not on the same sheet.

Those pair are
Walsh /Ames hands at chest
Powell / Goode
Durham /Crawford
Durham /Oldring

That last pair leads me to believe that at least 4 sheets were involved.

Here's the blocks so far, in no particular order.
Note that Durham might be interchanged with Crawford, but I don't yet have a scan of crawford with that particular scratch.
I also have a horizontal strip of 3 I'm looking at, but I'm not positive enough yet to tape them together.

Steve B

Last edited by steve B; 02-07-2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: fixed something that wasn't clear.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:52 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default Wow! Interesting

I honestly didn't think this was going to lead anywhere... but I'm digging what you've got so far. I'm impressed!
Old 02-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Great work Steve,

I haven't found any new scratches (other than the Doyle-throwing that I posted originally), but I've been looking. This looks like a sheet might be taking shape!!
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:58 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default another thing

And another thing, if this placement is correct, then we have at least three rows of each player on a sheet...

Again, I'm very impressed (and glad I provided a few scans)...
Old 02-07-2013, 01:06 PM
nels0n aud.et

I have a covaleski P150 with a printer line on the back.. do you want to see a scan ? This can help you in your research?
Old 02-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Excellent work so far! Please keep checking your P150 backs everyone
Old 02-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_vezina_c55 View Post
I have a covaleski P150 with a printer line on the back.. do you want to see a scan ? This can help you in your research?
Yes, any mark can help.

Steve B
Old 02-07-2013, 01:44 PM
nels0n aud.et

Old 02-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Steve Birmingham

Another interesting thing is that many of the lines only extend to the edge of the design and not into the edge of the card. That seems like they made some attempts at fixing whatever happened. I have scans of a couple cards that look as if a scratch might have been almost completely erased.

Small bits of plate damage can be fixed with a special crayon that fills in the damage. It also can scuff off the ink holding areas to repair mistakes in a small area.

Steve B
Old 02-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Andy Garden

Default Here is one...

Not sure if I have more, but this is the one I remembered having.

Good luck, Steve!

Best,

ag
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Keeler1.JPG (70.9 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg Keeler2.JPG (60.6 KB, 216 views)
Old 02-09-2013, 03:22 PM

On ebay right now

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T206...721c43b&_uhb=1
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 02-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Hey Jantz, hope all is well.

These cards as you know we're stacked 2+ per player and each had their own back plate up/down the column. A scratch on the lower Durham should be different then a scratch on the top one. Every sheet printed with Durham using the damaged plate should show the same scratches in the same spot. Until they ran a second print with a repaired plate.

If we can catalogue each unique front per identifiable back plate we can know those players were located in the same spot on the sheet. This indicates a unique sheet layout with that player in that location and could give us potential # of sheets used to run the series.

If there were 5 players with the same scratch then its plausible 5 sheets were used to print the 150 cards. 150/5 would indicate 30 unique cards per sheet.

Fun stuff.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:14 PM
P@trick R.omolo

There are actually five different Durhams.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b durham (1).jpg (50.6 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg b durham (2).jpg (65.3 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg b durham (3).jpg (43.5 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg b durham (4).jpg (74.9 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg b durham (5).jpg (76.2 KB, 235 views)
Old 02-10-2013, 03:46 PM

Just saw the Shipke in this auction(in the pictures)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T206...fb6aff9&_uhb=1

Just saw this Donohue too...may be more, stay tuned

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T206...91fff53&_uhb=1

Kleinow

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T206...91fff37&_uhb=1
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS

Last edited by z28jd; 02-10-2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: My reasons for editing have been edited
Old 02-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
Hey Jantz, hope all is well.

These cards as you know we're stacked 2+ per player and each had their own back plate up/down the column. A scratch on the lower Durham should be different then a scratch on the top one. Every sheet printed with Durham using the damaged plate should show the same scratches in the same spot. Until they ran a second print with a repaired plate.

If we can catalogue each unique front per identifiable back plate we can know those players were located in the same spot on the sheet. This indicates a unique sheet layout with that player in that location and could give us potential # of sheets used to run the series.

If there were 5 players with the same scratch then its plausible 5 sheets were used to print the 150 cards. 150/5 would indicate 30 unique cards per sheet.

Fun stuff.
I am very impressed by the thought that went into this. What made you get the idea in the first place?

Again, why hasn't anyone contacted Alan Ray (the only person I know of who may have actually seen an uncut sheet)?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

This plate scratch idea is 100% Steve's. From a few discussions we have had I realized that having an identifiable back marking linking a unique card to a specific position on a sheet could provide enough information to determine how many sheets were used to print the series.

If there is an identifiable marking on a back plate and confirmed on multiple examples of whomever is on the front, let's say Bates. We can then look for the exact marking on other cards. If multiple examples of Elberfeld has this same marking, then we can assume that the Bates and Elberfeld are in the same position on a sheet, but are not sheet mates.

If we can do this for several back markings, cataloguing every P150 card with that identifiable marking, a common denominator should show up. This # is highly likely how many sheets were used to run the series. Unless half way through the series they fixed the plates then we are out of luck.

With the number of sheets used in a 150 card series, we can get the number of unique players per sheet....that is if they didnt mess with the configuration and kept to the two rows consistent.

Then we can put together the back markings, two namer and side by side cards and maybe this will be enough to start to place a sheet together.

It is a lot of work to get there.

Last edited by atx840; 02-11-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
I am very impressed by the thought that went into this. What made you get the idea in the first place?

Again, why hasn't anyone contacted Alan Ray (the only person I know of who may have actually seen an uncut sheet)?
Hi Alex-

I've often wondered the same thing after reading "The Card",,,in the very back of the book, it states that Mr.Ray didn't return numerous calls during the research phase of the book. I guess he did admit to them that the Wagner wasn't cut by a machine & that he tried to tell people but no one would listen.

It would be nice for him to tell the whole story about whether or not it was cut from a sheet or a strip, and if it was a sheet, who was on it and how was it configured. Ray did say he was going to write a book about it all, but I am not aware of such a book yet.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 02-15-2013, 03:30 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Looking for your opinion on this Steve. Two different seymours with the
same Criss. I tried to line up the top marks as close as I could.
The first one the bottom mark on Criss is lower and the 2nd one
is higher but the tops line up on both fairly close.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seymour-criss back.jpg (75.8 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of seymour-criss back (2).jpg (76.3 KB, 176 views)
Old 02-15-2013, 04:30 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Regular scan of 2nd seymour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seymour-criss back (2).jpg (76.4 KB, 169 views)
Old 02-16-2013, 07:59 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
Hi Alex-

I've often wondered the same thing after reading "The Card",,,in the very back of the book, it states that Mr.Ray didn't return numerous calls during the research phase of the book. I guess he did admit to them that the Wagner wasn't cut by a machine & that he tried to tell people but no one would listen.

It would be nice for him to tell the whole story about whether or not it was cut from a sheet or a strip, and if it was a sheet, who was on it and how was it configured. Ray did say he was going to write a book about it all, but I am not aware of such a book yet.

Sincerely, Clayton
Ray is not the only person to see a sheet or partial-Bill Mastro and the late Bob Sevchuk did as well. Doesn't matter I guess as neither one is talking.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:04 AM
P@trick R.omolo

I have found many of matching marks with different players on the
front which could be because they were in the same placement
on another sheet. I think we should also consider the possibilty that some
were on the same sheet in another area. Many of the marks are on
the same angle and when you extend that angle you come up with
some very similar marks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of img424.jpg (83.4 KB, 140 views)