NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Barry Sloate

Hi Leon- spooning will cause a shiny spot, but I have heard stories (maybe they aren't true) of creases coming back some time after they were spooned out.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Hi Leon- spooning will cause a shiny spot, but I have heard stories (maybe they aren't true) of creases coming back some time after they were spooned out.
Exactly and that shiny spot would still be there, regardless. That was my point as I didn't see any instance of that from the large scan. I think it just got missed....Graders are human, and while it shouldn't happen, it does and will continue.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Paul

Spooning is to crease removal as scissors are to trimming.

Really good crease removal is done without a spoon and does not leave a shiny spot; same as really good trimming is not done with common household scissors.

Whether a crease can return is anyone's guess, but I don't think so. The more logical explanation is that PSA missed the wrinkle.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 06-28-2011, 02:01 PM

Default disclose....

Hey everyone

absolutely disclose....the cooler we are as collectors to each other, to treat each other with respect, and be honest about our cards(we can't take 'em with us), the better the hobby will become..

I want my son one day(waiting still to have one thats why i am able to buy a few cards LOL) to enjoy my passion like i have since i was a child......this hobby needs to be weeded out of fraud.....i believe reputation is everything!!we all make mistakes, and if some collectors would actually admit when they did something wrong, or just shady behavoir, i'm sure other collectors would accecpt them back...noone is perfect.....some of these collectors who have tarnished their rep should come forward and say, "hey guys, i was a dxck, i screwed up and ect ect, please give me another chance."....admit when they did something stupid, and move on...sure we can forgive and maybe not forget, but everyone imo deserves a second chance...(must be the Libra in me)

IMO- i would not even really touch a card at all, the way it came, is the way it would come/go....

if a card is labeled wrong, or missed graded, or a wrinkle is spotted and not disclosed, and the seller is aware of it, it's just shady to me....

thanks for listening to me spew, this is something i feel pretty strong about..

BTW- i would like to thank all of you fellow collectors who i consider friends for making my hobby as enjoyable as it is to me, for helping with my collecting...and for meeting some great friends and awesome people

Peace

Johnny V
Old 06-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Robert Williams

This is one that I recently won from Heritage auctions. I can't believe I missed it. If you were me, would you be happy with this card????

Old 06-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Barry Sloate

Looks like they took a little too much off the top. Also looks like the Duke is sporting a little facial hair. What's the deal with that one?

Last edited by barrysloate; 06-28-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Robert Williams

LOL...It's not trimmed, and there is no facial hair. I am talking about the Lake Michigan type stain/discoloring that is taking up the left half of the card!!!!! Look at the top border and notice where the stain starts and then follow it all the way down to the bottom border.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 06-28-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:24 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
This is one that I recently won from Heritage auctions. I can't believe I missed it. If you were me, would you be happy with this card????

That is a classic! Wouldn't be happy at all with the grading company or a seller/auction house that did not disclose the obvious stain. Maybe you should have caught it but that does not relieve either of the other parties of their obligation to catch it or to point it out IMO. I can see how it would be easier for the seller to have missed it than the grading company.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 06-28-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:38 PM
J.O.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
That is a classic! Wouldn't be happy at all with the grading company or a seller/auction house that did not disclose the obvious stain. Maybe you should have caught it but that does not relieve either of the other parties of their obligation to catch it or to point it out IMO. I can see how it would be easier for the seller to have missed it than the grading company.
Wow! Sorry for the raw deal on that card. Are the cases water proof? I was wondering if that stain happened after grading.

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:51 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

One of my pet peeves is with auction houses and graded card lots. Purchasing a single lot of graded cards from major/minor auctions is always a crap shoot. They usually don't show you all the cards, the pictures are sometimes tiny, and nothing about an over graded card in the lot is ever glowingly disclosed. Consequently, you occasionally end-up with some graded cards that were obviously way over graded and included in the lot because they wouldn't have brought much $$$ (for the grade) as a single card lot. You really don't have much recourse with the auction house, so you end-up being somewhat screwed. One day, when I become mayor (or become a major) I will outlaw this practice.

Lovely Day...

Last edited by iggyman; 06-28-2011 at 07:57 PM.