NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-11-2015, 02:57 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
I forgot to note in the previous post that the 1910 COUPON blue portrait Chase is another low pop card.
I cannot say for sure how many of these T213's are in circulation; but, only 4 blue Chase's are graded.

TED Z
Ted, only you would post a Type-1 Coupon in a thread for T206s.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:16 PM
Belltown Vintage

What I like to call the "Wiltse Devil on my Shoulder"

Certainly one-of-a-kind, AND actually production, not scrap.

Last edited by Runscott; 09-10-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:51 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Hi Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Ted, only you would post a Type-1 Coupon in a thread for T206s.

It may surprise you, but there are a fair number of guys on this forum that agree with me.

I have yet to hear any logical arguments that disproves my case for these 1910 " COUPON " cards being a part of the T206 family.

The old bromide....."because Burdick says so".....just aint good enough.

Sean.....if it quacks like a duck, and waddles like a duck, then it's a T206

TED Z
Old 01-11-2015, 06:37 PM
Rob.ert Bal.ke

Great card Scott
Old 01-11-2015, 07:04 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Show your T206 card(s) that are more scarce than the JOE DOYLE NAT'L card

Pop reports indicate only 6 graded of this tough Cy Young / CYCLE 460

TED Z
Old 01-11-2015, 07:17 PM
Dave Ba.lu.ta

One of my favorites...don't think there are many of these (?)

Last edited by Thirteen; 02-10-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:07 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
It may surprise you, but there are a fair number of guys on this forum that agree with me.

I have yet to hear any logical arguments that disproves my case for these 1910 " COUPON " cards being a part of the T206 family.

The old bromide....."because Burdick says so".....just aint good enough.

Sean.....if it quacks like a duck, and waddles like a duck, then it's a T206

TED Z
Ted, it doesn't surprise me, because we've had this discussion many times.

My vote is not a T206 based on the different card stock. Maybe we should have a poll: T213 type-1 should or shouldn't be in the T206 set?
Same with the T215 type-1.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:46 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Ted, it doesn't surprise me, because we've had this discussion many times.

My vote is not a T206 based on the different card stock. Maybe we should have a poll: T213 type-1 should or shouldn't be in the T206 set?
Same with the T215 type-1.

If that is the only reason you have, then please consider this:

American Litho. printed these cards in the Spring/Summer of 1910 on thinner stock because they were not intended to serve as "stiffeners" in cigarette
packs (as the other T206's did). NO standard cigarette pack labelled "COUPON" Cigarettes has been found. I don't expect that one will ever be found.

1910 COUPON cigarettes were marketed in cartons (11" x 3" x 2") labelled "COUPON" Cigarettes that contained 100's of this new brand of cigarettes.

The 1910 COUPON cards were included with (or inside) the carton. A few of these cartons have been found....I have seen one of them.

P.S.
A poll would be meaningless, since there would be many uninformed in this subject voting in it.

TED Z
Old 01-12-2015, 10:08 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:

P.S.
A poll would be meaningless, since there would be many uninformed in this subject voting in it.

This sounds like every election held in America. And considering how well our elected government is working, you're right: a vote would be meaningless.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:01 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:

P.S.

TED Z
That logic makes perfect sense.

Only the informed should be allowed to vote, and why not take it a step further and allow only the single MOST informed person to vote?

Ted, I agree with your logic, and I'll choose Burdick - I think he's as good a choice as any. If I were part of the pitchfork-carrying crowd storming the castle, I would be demanding that Burdick be my T206 dictator and do all of my thinking for me.

…or it could be Ted, it doesn't matter.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:47 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Scott

We live in a " 1/3 world " ............

For example, did you know when George Washington crossed the Delaware river December 24th 1776 to attack Trenton, he had only 33 % of the Colonists
supporting him and his mission......

...... 33 % of the Colonists were loyal to the British, and

...... the other 33% couldn't be bothered to care, either way.

So, here we are 238 years since, and these same factors in human nature still exist.

Therefore, you know what...... I don't care who disagrees with me (and some members of this forum) ...... who believe that the 1910 COUPON cards are a
natural extension of the T206 set.

Incidently, if you really want to be informed, check-out Burdick's records and you'll find that his timeline on all three COUPON sets is 1914 - 1916.

So, we cannot fault him......he was unaware that the first series of COUPON cards were actually printed and issued in the Summer of 1910.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 01-12-2015 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Typo correction.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:59 AM

Old 01-12-2015, 12:54 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
We live in a " 1/3 world "......

For example, did you know when George Washington crossed the Delaware river December 24th 1776 to attack Trenton, he had only 33 % of the Colonists
supporting him and his mission......

...... 33 % of the Colonists were loyal to the British, and

...... the other 33% couldn't be bothered to care, either way.

So, here we are 238 years since, and these same factors in human nature still exist.

Therefore, you know what...... I don't care who disagrees with me (and some members of this forum) ...... who believe that the 1910 COUPON cards are a
natural extension of the T206 set.

Incidently, if you really want to be informed, check-out Burdick's records and you'll find that his timeline on all three COUPON sets is 1914 - 1916.

So, we cannot fault him......he was unaware that the first series of COUPON cards were actually printed and issued in the Summer of 1910.

TED Z
And Ted, a big part of our hobby is categorizing things. Even as children, most of us piled up our cards by team, by position, by stats or even combined cards from different years. So I would never minimize the importance of deciding where the Coupons should be included.

In fact, I think I agreed with you on this, but having spoken with other forum members about this subject in depth, I think this topic is much like sheet-size - we'll never really know, so any well-thought-out theory defense is worth listening to, and certainly shouldn't cause anything more than heated discussion.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:29 PM
JeR@Me

Default T206-13

Quote:

American Litho. printed these cards in the Spring/Summer of 1910 on thinner stock because they were not intended to serve as "stiffeners" in cigarette
packs (as the other T206's did). NO standard cigarette pack labelled "COUPON" Cigarettes has been found. I don't expect that one will ever be found.

1910 COUPON cigarettes were marketed in cartons (11" x 3" x 2") labelled "COUPON" Cigarettes that contained 100's of this new brand of cigarettes.

The 1910 COUPON cards were included with (or inside) the carton. A few of these cartons have been found....I have seen one of them.

P.S.

TED Z

Here's my contribution to this thread : Carton & T206-13 card
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jordan 2.jpg (73.5 KB, 511 views)
File Type: jpg Jordan 1.jpg (72.7 KB, 511 views)
File Type: jpg 1 -CouponCigarettesCartonside.jpg (80.0 KB, 510 views)
File Type: jpg 1 -CouponCigaretteCarton1920.jpg (83.8 KB, 515 views)
Old 01-17-2015, 08:04 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Hi Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieBaseball View Post
Here's my contribution to this thread : Carton & T206-13 card

Thanks for posting the COUPON Cigarettes carton.

I think that carton is circa 1914....and, maybe associated with T213-2 (or T213-3) cards.

The carton that I saw years ago was very similar to yours; however the brand name was labelled " COUPON " ....which implies circa 1910.
And, I don't recall the Liggett & Myers lettering.

Take care, good buddy.

TED Z
Old 01-17-2015, 08:23 AM
JeR@Me

Quote:
Thanks for posting the COUPON Cigarettes carton.

I think that carton is circa 1914....and, maybe associated with T213-2 (or T213-3) cards.

The carton that I saw years ago was very similar to yours; however the brand name was labelled " COUPON " ....which implies circa 1910.
And, I don't recall the Liggett & Myers lettering.

Take care, good buddy.

TED Z

Thanks Ted - . I would love to see the "Coupon" carton that you mentioned. In reading your reply, I am not sure what differentiates my carton and the one one you are talking about... (I have no real opinion either way and certainly not sure of the time frame of this Carton I own, but know its pretty old) Perhaps, the 1910 Carton says... "Coupon Mild" and mine says Coupon Cigarettes??

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 01-17-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:33 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Show your T206 card(s) that are more scarce than the JOE DOYLE NAT'L card

.................................................. 1-of-8 .................................................. .................................. 1-of-2

T-Rex TED
Old 01-18-2015, 09:28 PM

Default Lungren.........

Scrap off the chain
Old 01-16-2015, 05:29 PM
JeR@Me

Default T206-13

Quote:

P.S.

TED Z

Whoops... Here's another one more rare than Doyle...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nash-T206-Ellam-Blank-Back.jpg (65.6 KB, 514 views)
File Type: jpg Nash-T206-Ellam-Blank-Reverse.jpg (44.3 KB, 516 views)

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 01-16-2015 at 05:37 PM.