NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 07-13-2015, 09:48 AM

Well because assault rifles are different in many ways from a hand gun or a .22 rifle. I consider hand guns and rifles and shotguns to be adequate protection. So I am wondering why people want to own assault rifles too.

It's like if you were saying you wanted to buy a grenade because you own a hand gun. I'd still ask why you felt like you needed to have a grenade and if you said: because I have this other gun, that wouldn't make a lot of sense to me.

Last edited by packs; 07-13-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:08 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Well because assault rifles are different in many ways from a hand gun or a .22 rifle. I consider hand guns and rifles and shotguns to be adequate protection. So I am wondering why people want to own assault rifles too.
I don't understand why you're asking to justify it though. As was pointed out in a couple posts back, if you don't want one then don't buy one. So why are you questioning other's desires to own one?

It would be like me asking you, "You have a Warren Spahn card, why do you want a Walter Johnson too?"

Sometimes the answer is, "Just because I want to and it's none of anybody elses business."

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 07-13-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:14 AM

Well actually there are large numbers of people in this country who want to ban assault rifles. So I'm asking the people who want to continue to buy them why they need them. And that is because there is a national debate on the issue and you fall on the side I don't understand. I don't think it's super complicated. You want to continue to buy assault rifles. I'm asking why you want to continue to buy assault rifles specifically, when, as you've pointed out, there are plenty of other types of firearms you can buy.

Last edited by packs; 07-13-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:46 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Kill tyrants
Home defense
Business defense (looters)
Fun to shoot
Hunting (quick extra shots)
Investment
Conversation piece
Collecting
Economic growth (keep the arms/ammo industry strong)
Competition target shooting

How many reasons do you want?
Old 07-13-2015, 11:06 AM

Those are valid reason and I appreciate your perspective. All I got before were things like "why not?" and "it's legal".
Old 07-13-2015, 03:43 PM
Scott
Scott All.en

There's historical reasons. One of the first things, historically, tyrants have done is to disarm the populace (See Hitler, Adolf, and Stalin, Josef). For many, it's the "slippery slope" argument. Ban one type of gun and it makes it easier to ban all of them.

The second amendment clearly allows the right of citizens to bear arms. Again, the "slippery slope". Take away even a portion of that right and many believe it will lead to government taking away other rights, such as free speech.

Agree or not, but that's what many people, even those who don't own an assault rifle, believe. It's what I believe and I do not own an assault rifle.

The United States is a very unique country in the history of the world. I would respectfully recommend you do some reading on the founding of the nation and why the Bill of Rights was included in the Constitution. The Founders feared that government would become too powerful and did everything they could to limit the powers of government in hopes that we would not turn into the same monarchy they fought to separate from.

If they were around today, do you think they would agree they succeeded? I wonder!
Old 07-13-2015, 04:14 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
There's historical reasons. One of the first things, historically, tyrants have done is to disarm the populace (See Hitler, Adolf, and Stalin, Josef). For many, it's the "slippery slope" argument. Ban one type of gun and it makes it easier to ban all of them.

The second amendment clearly allows the right of citizens to bear arms. Again, the "slippery slope". Take away even a portion of that right and many believe it will lead to government taking away other rights, such as free speech.

Agree or not, but that's what many people, even those who don't own an assault rifle, believe. It's what I believe and I do not own an assault rifle.

The United States is a very unique country in the history of the world. I would respectfully recommend you do some reading on the founding of the nation and why the Bill of Rights was included in the Constitution. The Founders feared that government would become too powerful and did everything they could to limit the powers of government in hopes that we would not turn into the same monarchy they fought to separate from.

If they were around today, do you think they would agree they succeeded? I wonder!
Great post! Thank you!
Old 07-13-2015, 05:35 PM

Ok, you seem like a nice guy so I'll go on here.

I have several AR-15s. I also have several AK-47s. I shoot all of these on a
regular basis as well as many more rifles and handguns. My collection is that of USGI M1 carbines as well as M1 Girands. (I like history, as well).

There are many, many other rifles that shoot the 5.56 mm round as well as the civilian .223. What has happened is that there is a hysteria over the black rifles. Scary, I know. The detriments to the rifle, as seen by the liberal gun grabbers, is a pistol grip. Another is a magazine that holds a lot of rounds. Yet another is that they look scary. Oh, yeah, they have flash suppressors. And the finale' reason is that some have a bayonet lug.

So, if you were to buy a Ruger mini 14 it would be fine with the gun goofies. It has a wood stock instead of plastic, it has no bayonet lug, and it does not look scary. This rifle has the capability to use large capacity magazines.

The kicker? This rifle uses the same 5.56 or .223 ammo but it is perfectly fine with the goofies. It just doesn't look scary. Make sense to you?

You mentioned the folks that want to ban "assault rifles" a name dreamed up by the media. They live and breathe shootings that involve an AR-15. The AR does not stand for assault rifle, by the way. They were made by the ArmaLite Corp originally so you might be able to figure out why their rifle is named AR.

Do you remember the episode in DC when a black guy shot up the place and killed 14 people. He used a shotgun and was black. That did not fit the agenda so it was only in the news a couple of days. It would have been better if he were a long haired white kid that was a loner with an AR-15.

The recent episode in South Carolina came closer to fitting. He was a long haired kid but did not use an AR. He used a .45 and reloaded several times.

The point is that these things are not any more dangerous than the person behind the rear sight.

So my question to you, sir, is why you point out AR-15s and no other weapon? You don't want an AR in your home? Your choice and i respect that. How about the aforementioned Ruger mini 14? It has a wood stock and does not look scary but shoots the same ammo and large capacity magazines are readily available.

See why I don't understand the mania about AR-15s?
Old 07-13-2015, 06:01 PM

I support the right to own guns. I asked about assault rifles, or weapons, because it's a hot topic these days. Personally, while I feel that gun ownership is fine, I don't think the general public should have access to assault rifles or assault weapons or semi-automatic handguns. More than half of all mass shootings were carried out by assault weapons or semi-automatic handguns. Those were some of the deadliest of all the shootings. And the guns were for the most part purchased legally. That's just my opinion though and I was looking for some insight from the other side, which I appreciate you guys sharing.

Last edited by packs; 07-13-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:09 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Kill tyrants
Home defense
Business defense (looters)
Fun to shoot
Hunting (quick extra shots)
Investment
Conversation piece
Collecting
Economic growth (keep the arms/ammo industry strong)
Competition target shooting

How many reasons do you want?
Those are all great reasons with #4 being my favorite. They are really fun to shoot.