NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-11-2015, 06:49 PM
Banned

thats right i am not trying to promote the company, just trying to understand that when the phrase "buy the card not the holder" is bantered around i guess when push comes to shove, it's "buy the holder not the card". thats what i can glean from all of this.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:52 PM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
thats right i am not trying to promote the company, just trying to understand that when the phrase "buy the card not the holder" is bantered around i guess when push comes to shove, it's "buy the holder not the card". thats what i can glean from all of this.
If I see two cards that appear to be high grade and one is in an ISA (or CSA or GAI, etc., etc.) holder and the other is in a PSA holder then damn straight I'm putting my faith in the PSA holder!
Old 08-11-2015, 11:02 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
ive been saying that for the longest time here about buying the holder not the card. is still what predominately happens no matter what people say........nice to see some finally agree with me....

was a thread about me asking to see someone actually on net54 buy a card with a lower grade than a higher grade card in the same auction....we shall see....

if a new company offers insurance or an issue to protect a buyer if a card is bought with the holder and there proves to be a significant defect not worth of the grade and the buyer can be compensated the difference in sale value that would be a good start and no reason to pick psa over them if you truly a buy the card not the holder person...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-11-2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:07 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
ive been saying that for the longest time here about buying the holder not the card. is still what predominately happens no matter what people say........nice to see some finally agree with me....

was a thread about me asking to see someone actually on net54 buy a card with a lower grade than a higher grade card in the same auction....we shall see....

if a new company offers insurance or an issue to protect a buyer if a card is bought with the holder and there proves to be a significant defect not worth of the grade and the buyer can be compensated the difference in sale value that would be a good start and no reason to pick psa over them if you truly a buy the card not the holder person...
Buy the card not the holder is one thing. To me that's just people saying don't overpay for an off center or poor registration card because it has a certain grade. Or don't be afraid to pay more than a certain grade goes for if the card looks great.

It certainly doesn't mean to pay a lot of money for a high end card graded by a company that no one uses. Everyone knows people use these kind of companies to grade cards that don't make it through PSA or SGC. This means someone would have to know nothing about the current market to send a legitimate card into ISA. The only way I would buy one of these high end cards ISA graded is if the seller will accept a return if it won't cross, knowing I'll only be out my time and grading fees.

This has nothing to do with buying the card and not the holder. I just don't want to end up with an expensive fake or altered card.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Buy the card not the holder is one thing. To me that's just people saying don't overpay for an off center or poor registration card because it has a certain grade. Or don't be afraid to pay more than a certain grade goes for if the card looks great.

It certainly doesn't mean to pay a lot of money for a high end card graded by a company that no one uses. Everyone knows people use these kind of companies to grade cards that don't make it through PSA or SGC. This means someone would have to know nothing about the current market to send a legitimate card into ISA. The only way I would buy one of these high end cards ISA graded is if the seller will accept a return if it won't cross, knowing I'll only be out my time and grading fees.

This has nothing to do with buying the card and not the holder. I just don't want to end up with an expensive fake or altered card.

so you are saying ISA only encapsulates fake or altered cards and the other big companies have done so? Got it.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:06 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
so you are saying ISA only encapsulates fake or altered cards and the other big companies have done so? Got it.
uhhh....no...try again.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:16 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
i guess when push comes to shove, it's "buy the holder not the card". thats what i can glean from all of this
Buy the card not the holder IS true. However, let's use some common sense here. There is a reason why PRO/GEM/GAI cards don't sell for as much as their PSA/SGC/BVG counterparts.

I equate to finding a Rembrandt. Are you going to pay more for it at Sotheby's or your local mom and pop auction house in a one traffic light town. At least at Sotheby's you can rest easy knowing you are buying the real deal. At the smaller auction house. you have a almost 100% chance that the item is a fake, or if it is not a fake, there is a real good chance the item has issues. I know it is a far-fetched analogy, but it is similar enough that you should get the gist.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:24 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Couple of random thoughts :

The primary at ISA appears to be a guy named Jason Koonce - Is it my imagination or do I recall Jason being with PSA at one time?

Some of the higher volume consignors appear to be OK with ISA - Probstein (no flames please), Mile High, Rich Gove

It appears top be extremely hard for anyone other than the big 3 to gain a foothold in TPG market as so many have come and gone over the past 20 years. Pretty sure that many of us on the boards have tossed around the idea of creating the next big TPG that would address all of the weaknesses of the existing companies. A cursory look at startup costs on such a venture is quite substantial - add in immediate suspicion of anyone other than the big 3 and you got tuff, tuff, tuff
Old 08-12-2015, 06:58 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
That's not what I said at all. I'm saying that no one who knows anything about our hobby would send an expensive card to a company like ISA for authentication when they know it's only going to detract from the value of the card. There's a reason it's in an ISA holder. And unless that reason is someone at ISA graded these cards and then sent them into the market to build their reputation, I'm assuming that someone tried to get it into a PSA or SGC holder and failed.

I hardly think I'm in the minority in my opinion.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
That's not what I said at all. I'm saying that no one who knows anything about our hobby would send an expensive card to a company like ISA for authentication when they know it's only going to detract from the value of the card. There's a reason it's in an ISA holder. And unless that reason is someone at ISA graded these cards and then sent them into the market to build their reputation, I'm assuming that someone tried to get it into a PSA or SGC holder and failed.

I hardly think I'm in the minority in my opinion.
They only seem to grade 9s and 10s too. Odd, that.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.