NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-10-2015, 07:43 PM
Jay Cee

Great point Bill! Where did the Ebay auctions go? Ebay changed their business model to be more like Amazon. Thats why I like PWCC who is a rare bread of seller, who runs a true auction without reserves.

Justin makes a great point in asking why a potential buyer would place a high bid early on????? I do not get that at all unless your strategy is hoping that ebay has a crash an hour before the auction ends. People that place High bids early on are just asking to be chipped away by other bidders.

You normally do not win an item being the high bidder a day Before it ends. Many successful bidders come in at the end of an auction via snipe (Ebay)or late night bid, depending on the auction.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:55 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Great point Bill! Where did the Ebay auctions go? Ebay changed their business model to be more like Amazon. Thats why I like PWCC who is a rare bread of seller, who runs a true auction without reserves.
I always thought you were on the ball, JC. This just reinforces that

The hobby was never better than from roughly 1999-2005 when eBay hadn't completely botched their platform. A decade later, it's a total mess. We're now subjected to multiple auction houses all with ridiculously high consignor rates - I'm looking at you, everyone over 10% or so. There are almost no new buyers coming into the hobby, almost all of the big buyers gone, and this forum is now about Mantle cards and who can complain more.

Give me the old days, thanks.

Bill
Old 11-10-2015, 08:01 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornell View Post

The hobby was never better than from roughly 1999-2005 when eBay hadn't completely botched their platform. A decade later, it's a total mess. We're now subjected to multiple auction houses all with ridiculously high consignor rates - I'm looking at you, everyone over 10% or so. There are almost no new buyers coming into the hobby, almost all of the big buyers gone, and this forum is now about Mantle cards and who can complain more.

Bill
+1 and you Preach it Brother Bill!!!!
Old 11-10-2015, 08:02 PM
Jeff

Quote:

Bill
Ah yes,..............give me the days when people referred to themselves in the plural third person. Bill - you get what you put up with, and we hobbyists will abide just about anything. I missed something along the way, I thought we were talking about waterfront properties now.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 11-10-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Ah yes,..............give me the days when people referred to themselves in the plural third person.
We have a great collection, Mr. Baker, and we have a YouTube video to prove it.

Seriously or not, this forum is in decline. Boot the difficult people, allow frivolous stuff about, for example, George Brett cards because the OP is a "regular poster" (since 6 months ago, if that), lazily complain about eBay (yes, Brian Van Horn, I mean you). It needs the proverbial reboot.

Bill

Last edited by bcornell; 11-10-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:28 PM
Just/in C.ornett

Buyers premiums are steep, correct. Sellers fees are steep, correct. But those fees being as high and the independent sellers/auction houses as they are protect each of us from the shill bidding and assets protection strategies many of you complain about here.

If fees were lower, problems far greater than each of you could imagine would certainly exist. If I didn't have to pay my bill when I won something nor did I have to pay a big buyers premium, I would most likely do more "asset protection" as would most others. The fees are high, I agree, but they are most certainly there for a reason. Any auction house that charges less than standard rates would immediately be a HUGE red flag to me and most other large buyers I assume.

Most importantly, these large transaction costs make both buyers and sellers think seriously about transacting. If you are a buyer, you buy hopefully for the long term. If you are a seller, you likely consider the transaction costs in your investment return analysis. The fee structures as they are encourage long term investing rather than short term speculation. Although expensive, the model has sustained the test of time because it works on many levels. It critically encourages collectors and investors alike to make purchases they intend to commit to for long periods of time. By its very nature, this commitment buy the parties to a transaction support prices for our large investments in cardboard.

You might wish for the "good ole days", but trust me, the market fee structure as it is today is exactly what each of us need for the market to function in an orderly and proper fashion.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:31 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Seriously or not, this forum is in decline. Boot the difficult people, allow frivolous stuff about, for example, George Brett cards because the OP is a "regular poster" (since 6 months ago?), lazily complain about eBay (yes, Brian Van Horn, I mean you). It needs the proverbial reboot.
Wait...what?!?!?! OK....I don't have no beef with you, but what you said is asinine.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:47 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickitup View Post
If fees were lower, problems far greater than each of you could imagine would certainly exist.
I think I can imagine it. Here's what comes to my imagination - my consignor fees pay the rent and much else for the auction houses. They offer me 0% commissions because they are digging deep into my pocket on the buyer side

Is that the "protection" you're crowing about? By the way, why do you get to post anonymously? Did you get some special dispensation from Leon?

Bill

Last edited by bcornell; 11-10-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:50 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Is that the "protection" you're crowing about? By the way, why do you get to post anonymously? Did you get some special dispensation from Leon?
If you took the time to read the whole thread instead of chiming in at the end, you will see his name is out there. Leon posted it for everyone to see. You come across to me as a bitter old man longing for the "good old days". Leave the cardboard alone and get a breath of fresh air. It could do you some good.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:55 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
You come across to me as a bitter old man longing for the "good old days".
More bitter than you'd ever realize. I once lost on an auction or two in (gasp) 2008 and maybe a couple more before that, although my memory fails me.

No beef with you, although I could not possibly care less about people policing eBay.

Bill
Old 11-10-2015, 09:05 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:

Bill
His name is in post 113 and the forum has been going down for as long as I can remember .
Old 11-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
His name is in post 113 and the forum has been going down for as long as I can remember .
Am I actually supposed to go dig that up? What happened to moderation where people had to be accountable?

More posters isn't necessarily worse. But, in this case, it absolutely is.

Bill
Old 11-10-2015, 09:08 PM
Just/in C.ornett

Quote:
I think I can imagine it. Here's what comes to my imagination - my consignor fees pay the rent and much else for the auction houses. They offer me 0% commissions because they are digging deep into my pocket on the buyer side

Bill
That's EXACTLY what I am saying. You don't sell the card unless it makes sense for you. If you have to pay 20% of the sales price, you are encouraged to buy and sell with a long term perspective. It keeps speculators out and makes people hold assets longer. For example, are you going to buy and sell houses and pay your broker 6% each time over and over again without considering the brokerage? Absolutely not! The fee structures of the auction houses are there for a reason. If you or anyone else doesn't like their fees, don't use them. If you can do it better yourself and maximize your value, go for it! I would argue however that most collectors are far from able to truly maximize the value of their cards like an auction house would. It's clear to me because these auction houses are still in business. If they weren't appreciated or needed, they wouldn't be around.

I spoken enough of my mind for the evening and for a while. Take care guys... I'll check back periodically, but don't expect me to post or contribute often.

Justin
Old 11-10-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:

Bill
I agree with Bill's thoughtful comments, as usual. But, I wouldn't be so hard on this forum, which can reasonably be expected to have its ups and downs. The greatest risk to the forum, in my view, is the risk that faces the hobby generally; that is, whether demand can be maintained for vintage cards once we baby boomers move on, so to speak.

Mark
Old 11-10-2015, 10:46 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

It's not all negative. If you're consigning anything, ask for a portion of the buyer's fee. Auction houses are not entitled to stick buyers with ~20% fees. They're all peas in the same pod, offering the same service. I don't care if they issue a catalog or not, if they are upstanding types, etc - it's the same results, over & over. Don't give in.

Bill

Last edited by bcornell; 11-10-2015 at 10:50 PM.