NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 09-01-2016, 05:58 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcasterline View Post
Don't have the 1926 Benny. Its a great card and same here, I haven't seen one in
person.
That Friedman card is tough, tough, tough! Only card from his playing days that I'm aware of.

This is the area of "rookie" cards that I struggle with. Having a 1955 football card be considered someone's rookie card who last played in 1934 is a joke. I understand why the powers that be might have done this but it's still pretty ridiculous in my book.

jeff
Old 09-01-2016, 09:20 AM

Jeff

I agree that it is a true rookie card.
Do we know if the cards were distributed nationally or regionally?

I own a few, Not Friedman's.
They are probably one of the only cards that I think would be easily forged.
Black and white with thin paper.
Not trying to ignite an argument, But boy are the tiny cheap,thin pieces of paper.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:44 AM

I love the Spalding set because it has a few players you just can't find in any other set - most notably for me, Ed Weir, a great All American from Nebraska who was on the NFL Champions Frankford Yellow Jackets in 1926 with my father. I once owned the Grange from the set but sold it to a devoted collector - in part to buy a guitar and in part because I gave up getting the Friedman which would have completed the football set for me. I think it would be easy to spot counterfeits if you used a loupe and examined the half-tone pattern in the photo reproduction - it's an old style that would be hard to duplicate without a period printing press, in my opinion.

I have to content myself with just a scan of Friedman - another teammate of my dad on the Giants.

I would love to see this collection at the Hall of Fame, but if not I hope to catch it in its travels. It would be nice if in the upcoming 100th Anniversary of the NFL the cards could spark some additional interest in the history of the pro game - especially the teams before WW II.

Last edited by revmoran; 09-01-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:28 PM
Mike Blai$dell

Default Hunt/Casterline Pro Football Hall of Fame Card Collection

Robert, what an amazing undertaking and collection. I can't think of a better venue than the Hall of Fame for display.

In regards to the 1926 Spalding Football and the Friedman card - I acquired my 26 Friedman back in the late 80's. The card was really in rough shape and had a hole-punch in one corner (I think the cards could be redeemed for prizes as I have seen a number of hole-punched Spalding's over the years). I always thought I would be able to upgrade the card but never had the opportunity. Definitely one tough card!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1926 Spalding Friedman.jpg (65.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 1926 Spalding Friedman-b.jpg (69.2 KB, 67 views)
Old 09-01-2016, 04:01 PM

I'm going to start a thread on the 26 Spalding set - I still have questions and don't want to derail the focus on the Hunt/Casterline Pro Football Hall of Fame Card Collection -
Old 09-02-2016, 04:27 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by revmoran View Post
I think it would be easy to spot counterfeits if you used a loupe and examined the half-tone pattern in the photo reproduction - it's an old style that would be hard to duplicate without a period printing press, in my opinion.
Yeah, I agree with Mike on this one. The printing technique is such that it would be very easy to identify counterfeits with a loupe ... a vintage collectors best friend ;-)

Also, the paper fiber might be difficult to duplicate and finding paper that doesn't have any whitener might be a problem as well.

jeff
Old 09-02-2016, 04:21 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcasterline View Post
Jeff
I agree that it is a true rookie card.
Do we know if the cards were distributed nationally or regionally?
Hi Robert. Good question.

From the correspondence I've seen between Sports Company of America and some of the athletes they were courting to be part of this set, the plan was for national distribution. They talk about 'spreading sports information across the country'. I don't know if anyone knows for sure how successful they were at accomplishing this goal.

jeff
Old 09-01-2016, 04:33 PM
Carl Lamendola

We'll I always thought Ed Kabala got the best of me on when I traded him a 1934 Nagurski Diamond Matchbook (only known) for this Friedman (later graded by me).

I agree with Jeff. If a PSA-9 (which three exist and probably a few more) goes for $6910. What is a 1926 Spalding PSA-7 (29 years earlier) worth? Which card would you guys want in your collection if both were available.

I guess the there is more demand for the 1955 AA Friedman and it is "collectible" and can be sent in to PSA, etc for grading. Where my card is not collectible, sometimes you can outsmart the collector.

What about a 1967 Royal Castle Dolphin Bob Griese, or for a matter of fact a 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle?
Old 09-01-2016, 05:45 PM

Was this yours, Carl? Again, I have to be content with the scan, although I did get the Hewitt full book on eBay a while back and it's the only one I've seen.

Last edited by revmoran; 09-01-2016 at 05:46 PM.