NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-16-2017, 11:33 AM

You guys always rail against TPG but I don't see a real solution in what you guys offer up instead. A single person being an arbiter of authentication is extremely risky. If Bob Johnson is the single highest authority on autographs and Bob Johnson runs into some financial trouble as an individual person, he's liable to make some quick cash by authenticating his own bogus materials and capitalizing on his reputation. The same can be said for any single person. I'm all for better systems but the reality of the hobby is that PSA and JSA have a high standing with the collecting community at large, though serious collectors have issues with them. You can't deny that a PSA or JSA letter doesn't boost the value of an item vs. the same item without one.

Last edited by packs; 01-16-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:46 AM
Davi.d Sha.kir

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
You guys always rail against TPG but I don't see a real solution in what you guys offer up instead. A single person being an arbiter of authentication is extremely risky. If Bob Johnson is the single highest authority on autographs and Bob Johnson runs into some financial trouble as an individual person, he's liable to make some quick cash by authenticating his own bogus materials and capitalizing on his reputation. The same can be said for any single person. I'm all for better systems but the reality of the hobby is that PSA and JSA have a high standing with the collecting community at large, though serious collectors have issues with them. You can't deny that a PSA or JSA letter doesn't boost the value of an item vs. the same item without one.
100% correct , the hobby has had many bad things happen especially during the 1990's hey day , hence the massive growth of submissions to PSA and JSA , and their continued recognition as being the best solution available
to know within a very high probability that you have the real deal
not just some old dude telling you his grand daddy owned it with no back up provenance
Old 01-16-2017, 12:40 PM
Richard Simon

Some will just keep drinking it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kool aid.jpg (19.3 KB, 163 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-16-2017, 12:47 PM

But what do you propose as a solution? How would you solve the issue of authentication accuracy and still meet demand of thousands of submissions in any one day?
Old 01-16-2017, 06:28 PM
Richard Simon

Many, but certainly not all, have a blind adherence to authenticators.
That is wrong. These authenticators are hardly infallible.
Just one very small example fyi, I could list others. I had an autograph album page with a very early example of well known signatures. To confirm my belief in the authenticity of the item I sent a copy of it to the best dealer that I know in the hobby and also to one of the very top collectors here on Net54. Both confirmed my thoughts, that the item was authentic.
One of the leading authentication companies turned it down. My customer kept it after I told him what had happened because he trusted my judgment and my other two sources.
I don't really know what could be done now but I know a system that is beyond corruption and one that is much more transparent would be at the top of my list for improving the current system.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-16-2017, 06:59 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

When authenticating autographs for profit came into the hobby as a SOLE business model not as an adjunct to collecting or buying / selling autographs corruption also entered with at the same time. Also at the time their God - like infallible attitudes closely followed .
Trust dealers using 1 set of trained eyes NOT companies using multiple sets of untrained eyes .
Old 01-16-2017, 10:27 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

MegaLimey is an employee of PSA I think. He said so in a thread about authenticating a 32WS Called Shot ticket last year.
He is obviously biased as his livelihood depends on them.

Richard and Kevin have said it the best. I can recall many really embarrassing moments for them that can be explained by either incompetence, laziness, or corruption. FOr example how about a 30K Ed Delahanty auto that was certed by both PSA and JSA where the name was misspelled. That is right a 30 thousand dollar auto that was misspelled but passed. Or an 1860 boxer that was certed by both without either having an exemplar(BTW, It was shown he was illiterate as he signed an official document the year after with an "X"). All true.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 01-17-2017, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
When authenticating autographs for profit came into the hobby as a SOLE business model not as an adjunct to collecting or buying / selling autographs corruption also entered with at the same time. Also at the time their God - like infallible attitudes closely followed .
Trust dealers using 1 set of trained eyes NOT companies using multiple sets of untrained eyes .
+1 Well said, Kevin...