NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-07-2019, 09:02 PM

No questions Greg Morris selling 1 by 1 is the way to go. Auctions will do you no justice and will fee you to death.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:16 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Gree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
No questions Greg Morris selling 1 by 1 is the way to go. Auctions will do you no justice and will fee you to death.
Sean's right. Avoid Auctions, especially Love Of The Game.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:39 AM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantlefan View Post
Sean's right. Avoid Auctions, especially Love Of The Game.
Dude, what’s your issue with LOTG? Al and Jeff have been as good as they come from all of my experiences as a consignor and a buyer.

This is all going to be about properly reading those cards from their screw down tombs. I don’t know the best way to do it, but Scott makes a great point. I am sure someone who knows more than me could give you some guidance. Good luck. Very cool collection!
Old 02-08-2019, 06:56 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

An independent third party consultant, who knows vintage cards, with no vested interest in selling your your collection is where I would start.

A knowledgeable collector, who lives close to you, probably exists on this board.

You are an unknown to the hobby and to many of this board your collection would be considered low hanging fruit. The diversity of opinion in this thread suggests to me that this could end well for someone other than you.

People who want your business can be very nice.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 02-08-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:21 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
An independent third party consultant, who knows vintage cards, with no vested interest in selling your your collection is where I would start.

A knowledgeable collector, who lives close to you, probably exists on this board.

You are an unknown to the hobby and for many of this board would your collection would be considered low hanging fruit. The diversity of opinion in this thread suggests to me that this could end well for someone other than you.

People who want your business can be very nice.
Not a terrible idea, but in essence an honest auction house is trying to make you the most money possible as that is how THEY make money. Also is the bolded portion supposed to be a bad thing?

When Jerry Mason was looking at what to do with the Miner's Extra collection he found in a house he was cleaning out, I met with him and gave him a lot of free advice on how to deal with auction houses. He originally had only committed to giving me the non-sports, but I didn't want to see him get taken. I spent quite some time with him going over things without any thought to getting the baseball and boxing cards.

A while later, to my surprise, he called me and asked me to take on the whole collection.

Maybe I'm naive or a Pollyanna, but I believe in helping people regardless of whether or not they consign to me. It's just who I am.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 02-08-2019, 07:44 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Not a terrible idea, but in essence an honest auction house is trying to make you the most money possible as that is how THEY make money. Also is the bolded portion supposed to be a bad thing?

When Jerry Mason was looking at what to do with the Miner's Extra collection he found in a house he was cleaning out, I met with him and gave him a lot of free advice on how to deal with auction houses. He originally had only committed to giving me the non-sports, but I didn't want to see him get taken. I spent quite some time with him going over things without any thought to getting the baseball and boxing cards.

A while later, to my surprise, he called me and asked me to take on the whole collection.

Maybe I'm naive or a Pollyanna, but I believe in helping people regardless of whether or not they consign to me. It's just who I am.

If Net54 is the Times Square on New Years Eve for the hobby, then a cry for help will be heard by both the angels and the wolves. As a novice, it could be difficult to distinguish between them. Just sayin’

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:50 AM
Scott Russell

Can't argue with that, and I did like the overall point of your previous post, just that in a perfect world an auction house can provide that service as they should be on the seller's side wholeheartedly. I mean that's who our fiduciary duty is due to. In PA you can file a complaint against an auctioneer who you feel doesn't keep your best interest first.

That's also an interesting difference. In PA you have to have a license to hold an auction, live or online. that's 360 hours of class time and 60 hours of practical experience OR a two year apprenticeship. Most sports auction houses are in states with no auction regulation. Does that mean those auction houses automatically disreputable? Of course not. But it is something to consider.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 02-08-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:32 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post

I can say from personal experience as a buyer and seller with Scott he is the most honest guy in the business. All you have to do is look at the descriptions he has used in his previous auctions. There is no BS and he honestly describes the cards.

I can't say enough good things about the man and the service he provides. If going the auction house route I would highly recommend putting him on your short list of prospective AHs.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:47 AM

Whatever you do don't sell any of the cards yourself. Send them to an auction house and let them handle the sale. People will make offers and they'll sound good to you, but they won't be.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:35 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post

I’m in NY and would be more than happy to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2019, 06:59 AM
Peter Spaeth

I've heard people have had success with both freezers and hairdryers where cards seem stuck in screwdowns. No personal experience though.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:32 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Lotg

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
Dude, what’s your issue with LOTG? Al and Jeff have been as good as they come from all of my experiences as a consignor and a buyer.

This is all going to be about properly reading those cards from their screw down tombs. I don’t know the best way to do it, but Scott makes a great point. I am sure someone who knows more than me could give you some guidance. Good luck. Very cool collection!
Hey, when LOTG first started I consigned a lot of high end cards to Al’s first two auctions. Ask Al. I lost my shirt as I expected with a start-up.

In a subsequent LOTG auction Al pulled a stunt that I didn’t like with one of my cards. I then tried to pull out the rest of my consignment, but my cards were held for ransom by honest Al. I had to get my attorney involved to get them back. That’s my issue dude.

Edited to add: Jeff Prizner joined LOTG way after this happened. Jeff is a friend and a stand up guy.

Last edited by mantlefan; 02-08-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:22 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Hey, when LOTG first started I consigned a lot of high end cards to Al’s first two auctions. Ask Al. I lost my shirt as I expected with a start-up.

In a subsequent LOTG auction Al pulled a stunt that I didn’t like with one of my cards. I then tried to pull out the rest of my consignment, but my cards were held for ransom by honest Al. I had to get my attorney involved to get them back. That’s my issue dude.
what kind of a stunt was that bad, was it a bad description or put in the wrong category etc..
Old 02-08-2019, 02:30 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Sorry to hear of your loss.

You're getting a lot of good advice from our members...to which I will only suggest that you hold onto a few as a memory and tribute to your Dad...that way you could keep them in the family and pass it along when you want to.

I'm hopeful that you will get 'the bug' before saying goodbye to what has been left to you.

It's a Wonderful Hobby...and, at least so far, a much better investment (if you're careful) than many other things.

-Robbie

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-08-2019, 02:47 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Stunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
what kind of a stunt was that bad, was it a bad description or put in the wrong category etc..
Worse. A lot worse. A betrayal. PM me for the details.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:26 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Worse. A lot worse. A betrayal. PM me for the details.
I've always liked you Dr. Frank but this isn't right. You had a bad experience once with Al and LOTG and I understand that. But trying to soil his reputation in public for something that happened years and years ago is uncalled for.

jeff
Old 02-07-2019, 10:27 PM
FredYoung

Default Hi Skatehabitat24

My condolences on the loss of your Father--a very sad time to be sure!

My below thoughts are just mine & I could be very wrong, BUT-----

Am I the only one who has a question as to authenticity? Those tobacco cards look too perfectly centered, bright & untouched, all of them.

I certainly hope they are ALL real, but something looks too good to me!
Old 02-08-2019, 01:10 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post

Am I the only one who has a question as to authenticity? Those tobacco cards look too perfectly centered, bright & untouched, all of them.

You're not the only one. There's at least a few on which I'm skeptical.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:22 AM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:

This
Old 02-08-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:

Thank you for the condolences. I completely understand where youre coming from. I'm going to get a scanner for better photos and maybe bring them down to a shop in Copperstown for someone to look at for a glance over.

All I can say about the old man was, he never used a computer in his life. This collection was mainly built before I was born. We live 2 hours from Copperstown and thats where he spent a lot of time along with some auctions. I don't think grading was popular or even existed when he was doing most of his collecting... I just don't see the old man spending his time or money buying reprints but I could absolutely be wrong. I remember as a really young kid going to Copperstown and he knew everyone, the shop owners would take me to exhibits not even open to the public yet and show me new card or memorabilia arrivals. It was an amazing experience everytime I went. I still do go there almost every year, but just to visit the hall and have a nice meal.

No matter what happens with the cards, real/fake whatever the outcome. I will keep everyone updated to show the appreciation for all the feedback responses and love given out by you guys. I will stay patient and continue researching and talking with people. You guys are all awesome, thank you.