NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-12-2020, 11:13 AM
Ben North

SGC has the best slabs and does the best job at actually grading cards IMHO. They are beyond horrible at everything else.

As far as posting on here in my personal experience it works WAY better than contacting/trying to contact them.

I wanted to make a fairly big submission that included a complete set and around 50 additional cards a few years ago. Had nothing but problems with their shit show website. Complained about it on here and BOOM got a call from Matt at SGC and problems got taken care of.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:38 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Matt is at REA now.

SGC put hand cut on the labels of the holders for these cards. They told me to have people call them and they would tell them they aren't hand cut. Um, ok....then why put it on the label? Policy LOL.....

As far as posting on here in my personal experience it works WAY better than contacting/trying to contact them.

I wanted to make a fairly big submission that included a complete set and around 50 additional cards a few years ago. Had nothing but problems with their shit show website. Complained about it on here and BOOM got a call from Matt at SGC and problems got taken care of.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-12-2020, 01:17 PM

This Post is dedicated to Toby:

Real life situation illustrating why SGC's new Pop report worse-than sucks:

Lets say I am trying to determine how many Honus Wagner, Street Clothes, W600's there are. So I go to SGC's pop report to see how many they have graded...

Well, I can no longer search by Player or any keyword whatsoever, including year. I can only search by set name (see pic 1).

So, I type in W600 -- because that is what the set is called -- and guess what, "No Result Found" (see pic 2). So the only way to search is by set name, yet I cant search W600 by its name.

Luckily, we know the W600 set is a Sporting Life set, so I search "Sporting Life". Bingo! 19 different results come up, half of which could be applicable to my query (see pic 3).

So, I start clicking on each potentially applicable one, having to start a new search every time I go back on my phone, and getting all sorts of confusing results. I have no clue now how many W600 Wagner Street Clothes have been graded by SGC now (god forbid I wanted to determine type 1 from type 2).

And here is the best part - look at the list: How are we to know the difference, if any, between

1902-11 Sporting Life
1902-11 Sporting Life Cabinet
1902-11 Sporting Life Cabinets

And then you have all the references to different years and differences in the same year between a Cabinet and Cabinets???!!!!

I mean, I think a 5 year old could do better than this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2312.jpg (9.5 KB, 778 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2313.jpg (9.2 KB, 789 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2314.jpg (9.3 KB, 781 views)
Old 06-12-2020, 02:35 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Matt is at REA now.

SGC put hand cut on the labels of the holders for these cards. They told me to have people call them and they would tell them they aren't hand cut. Um, ok....then why put it on the label? Policy LOL.....

I wanted to make a fairly big submission that included a complete set and around 50 additional cards a few years ago. Had nothing but problems with their shit show website. Complained about it on here and BOOM got a call from Matt at SGC and problems got taken care of.
[/QUOTE]

Then REA got a great employee. I know the few times I had problems or questions I contacted Matt. He provided me with excellent service every time.

I did notice recently when I was going to submit some cards I couldn't find his contact info so I never did submit the cards.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:13 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

So I read that Matt is at REA. So is Andy Raffa a Net54 user? I know he's on Tobacco Row and always responds to posts about SGC over there.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 06-12-2020, 11:51 PM
Steve Birmingham

On the whole "cut them some slack because of the pandemic" …

2017 the message board went away and "changes were coming"

Around 8-27-2018 some one posted what SGC said the changes would be.
How it went in red

"“The new ‘Submission Tracking’ feature will allow SGC customers to easily and precisely track where their order is within the process: from receiving, data entry, and grading, to encapsulation and shipping,” Grady told Sports Collectors Daily. “This feature will also allow our customers to see a current estimated date of the completion for their submissions.”
NO idea if this actually is there... clicking on "start a submission" in both locations on the main page doesn't work at all. Not a dead link, absolutely nothing so even if I wanted to submit cards I couldn't

The online submission form, too, will be simplified and Grady says every card SGC grades will be scanned in its holder prior to shipping.
Can't even get to the submission form, see above

“Customers will be able to see the images of these cards via our new ‘certification number look-up’ feature. This will allow customers to further verify authenticity by comparing the card they are planning to purchase with its image on the SGC site and be confident that it is actually the same card that SGC graded. SGC will also make sure that all certification numbers are randomized in order to protect customer privacy.”
Feature not active but "something great is coming"

Population Reports on the website will include images and users will be able to automatically upload scanned images of their cards to the Set Registry.
Nope, no images on the popreports.

Later this summer, SGC will also begin offering a ‘Grader Notes Option’ which will allow customers to review the notes made by its graders as they examined a card, which will help better explain the reasons why it received a certain grade.
Didn't see this anywhere, if its there it's well hidden

For the first time, Grady says SGC will also offer a buying and selling platform for users, which will be ready by late this year.

“We are building a marketplace that will connect collectors across the world and facilitate transactions. Collectors will be able to make offers through the Pop Reports, the Registry, and our new platform. We anticipate that this marketplace will serve as a valuable asset to collectors and will also provide us with helpful real-time pricing data.”
And.... another NO.

They have delivered on NONE of those features in at least two years, and probably closer to three. Maybe longer, I didn't go back beyond the 2017 ending of the message board.

That's delivery on 0 of 6 promised features after almost 2 YEARS... and that's being generous and figuring the time from late August 2018.

The pandemic has only been the last 6 months. What were they doing for the precious entire year. Oh right, web sites can also be developed remotely....
Old 06-13-2020, 04:10 AM
Lonnie Nagel

FWIW :

I had contacted Peter Steinberg (peter@gosgc.com) back in May who says he is Director of Operations at SGC regarding :

Pop Reports
Registry
Cert Verification

I also told him about the Net 54 forums and suggested that he might want to join as lots of his vintage customers are here.

I received the following response -

Thank you for taking the time to reach out. We greatly appreciate your longtime support!

Our volume is currently up 10x what it was only a few weeks ago and with the challenges of Covid19 factored in, things are very busy at the moment. This answer will be much more concise than I'd normally like it to be, but please forgive me due to the circumstances

1 & 2. Pop is coming before Registry. Pop will be released within weeks at this point, not months. When the registry is fully built out, you will be able to register all of your SGC cards no matter when they were graded.

3. Cert lookup will be available on the website, but it will take a backseat for now due to improvements of higher priority. For now, you can contact Nick (the head of our Research Department) at nick@gosgc.com. He will be happy to verify certification codes for our collectors.

I won't be making an account on Net54, but I will be doing everything in my power to bring our collectors closer and closer to the team/operation that they entrust with their cards. Again, times are extremely busy now, but please rest assured we're signing a lease today on a new (larger) space, conducting countless interviews to hire more great people, and are working very long hours to ensure our collectors remain satisfied with the level of service they receive.

Last edited by toledo_mudhen; 06-13-2020 at 04:12 AM.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:31 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Business is so good for the graders that BGS just raised their prices $5 across the board for ones with subgrades (1980-current now has subgrades and non-subgrades options). PSA just raised their bulk ultra-modern submissions (2017-present) to a minimum of $12/card.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.