NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-13-2020, 10:42 AM
Patrick N.

Default A Player Passing Away & Selling Etiquette

Was wondering if there was an unwritten hobby rule about how long to wait to sell a card of a player that has recently passed away (as I have such a card). I recall early this year that when Kobe passed many speculators started to quickly list cards with inflated prices to take advantage of the new interest in Kobe cards--and that bothered me as I thought it was a bit classless and greedy. Thanks for your opinion.

Last edited by mintacular; 09-13-2020 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-13-2020, 10:58 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
Was wondering if there was an unwritten hobby rule about how long to wait to sell a card of a player that has recently passed away (as I have such a card). I recall early this year that when Kobe passed many speculators started to quickly list cards with inflated prices to take advantage of the new interest in Kobe cards--and that bothered me as I thought it was a bit classless and greedy. Thanks for your opinion.
By definition doesn't selling a card involve a bit of greed?

The best time to sell is when interest is high, and interest is never higher than when somebody famous dies.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:05 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

When you sell a card aren't you trying to realize the most profit possible? I say unless you're related to the player the proper ediquette is immediately following the service and burial.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 09-13-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:06 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Don’t think the athlete cares much. And the family, to the extent they are aware of the secondary market on cards and paraphernalia, would prob be either completely indifferent or thrilled.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:11 AM
Mike Oberl@nder

This is not an ethical issue. It is unethical to purchase the autograph of recently deceased individual? The goods involved in our transactions are, by definition, not necessities. As long as the buyer and seller are honest with each other and treat each other as expected and appropriate to the situation, then they are acting ethically.

If Kobe's death (or Seaver's or Brock's) prompts interest and you want to sell, then sell. Or, if you want to buy, then buy. The same goes for getting a 3,000 strikeout or hit or being elected to the hall of fame.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:19 AM

When a player passes, the interest spikes. Honestly, that’s how I knew Seaver had passed. Two low-cost lots of his cards I’d had listed for months sold within 30 min of each other. I was like “oh oh”. Sure enough I hit ESPN and there it was.

Reminds me of the day I flipped on the radio in the car and started working through the local FM channels. When I hit the 4th station playing “My Sweet Lord”, I knew George Harrison had passed away.

Last edited by Mike D.; 09-13-2020 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:32 AM
Brendan Mullen

“Mickey Mantle don’t care about you. Why should you care about him?” “We’ll see if your father can’t pay the rent, go ask Mickey Mantle. See what he tells you...”
Old 09-13-2020, 11:41 AM
Randy

If someone buys cards as a "investment", makes perfect sense to sell cards when interest in the player picks up.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:44 AM
Rich v@n He$$

Do as you wish. The player has other things to worry about (or maybe not, who knows) and the family doesnt care. I think its possible to be a bit "splashy" or sensationalist in selling anything related to a recently passed athlete, but as long as you're doing so within your own comfort zone....go ahead.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:56 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Personally, I've never understood why a retired player's cards (non-autographed) see a big spike when the player dies. Supply isn't affected at all, in fact, cards of them will continue to be made; so supply can still meet demand. Why anyone would pay an inflated price for the cards is beyond my comprehension.

Autographs, on the other hand, are completely different. Supply is abruptly cut off, so with the increased demand, and no corresponding increase in supply, prices will increase and stay at a higher level in the future.

That said, it is the "free enterprise" system, and a seller should "strike while the iron is hot" so to speak. If someone wants to pay your price, that's entirely up to them.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 09-13-2020, 11:59 AM
Patrick N.

Default Player

I wasn't concerned about the player or family caring so much more so that you sell in a short window where the collectors heart strings are pulled and wham! there you are with "x" card with double the price sticker I'm surprised how nonchalant the reactions are so far, perhaps I'm naive

Last edited by mintacular; 09-13-2020 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:22 PM
Rich Klein

I actually wrote an article on this subject -- I think I covered most of the options. Please note it was based more towards modern players as that is the readership.

https://gogts.net/kleins-korner-how-...-in-the-hobby/

Regards
Rich
Old 09-13-2020, 01:32 PM
Al Richter

Maybe we should ask Cole Bartiromo, aka dollarscholar, of Topps 1952 Tony Bartirome fame
Old 09-13-2020, 02:21 PM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default however

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koufax32fan View Post
This is not an ethical issue. It is unethical to purchase the autograph of recently deceased individual? The goods involved in our transactions are, by definition, not necessities. As long as the buyer and seller are honest with each other and treat each other as expected and appropriate to the situation, then they are acting ethically.

If Kobe's death (or Seaver's or Brock's) prompts interest and you want to sell, then sell. Or, if you want to buy, then buy. The same goes for getting a 3,000 strikeout or hit or being elected to the hall of fame.
this is all true. However, it is unethical to sell an autographed item of a deceased player that is signed after the players' death.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it eat the dogfood
Old 09-13-2020, 02:49 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
I think based on the response of peers, 36 hours is the proper waiting time. One day to honor the dead and allow a moment of silence - so as not to feel unethical about your decision to sell. And the next 12 hours to list the item.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 09-13-2020, 03:25 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

There is no rule.

That some people don't like it or complain about it doesn't make it a rule nor is proof that their opinion is in the majority.

Some people complain when someone "outs" an ongoing auciton, but that doesn't make it a rule or a board rule. We've never even had a poll about Net54 members' on the topic so don't even know prevaling opinion. Though you will get some people mad at you if you do it.

Though there are some offical board rules.

Last edited by drcy; 09-13-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-13-2020, 03:37 PM
Glyn Parson

Default Sell whenever you choose

When other people
Start paying your bills they can start telling you when you should or shouldn’t sell something. Until then do what you are comfortable with.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:03 PM
Greg C

Sell immediately. It’s memorabilia, not crime scene evidence or anything directly correlated to their passing. Don’t let others guilt you into not selling something when it’s hot.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:06 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Not really an ethical dilemma in my opinion. I know that as soon as a player passes away any autographs that I have in my ebay store get snatched up super fast. I learned that Al Kaline had passed away a little while ago as between working on patients I happened to look at my phone and noticed I had sold 5-6 different signed Kaline cards within a 15 minute period and didn't even have to look at the news, I knew what that meant. Same thing happened the other day with Hockey player Dale Hawerchuk.

I think the only unethical thing could be to list at an astronomical price (10-20x what they were going for previous) to try to cash in on the craze, even that is a bit debatable.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 09-13-2020, 04:17 PM
Ben North

The only unethical thing I can think of is canceling winning bids to relist the item at a much higher price. Selling ASAP is only good business.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:59 PM

Nothing unethical, just be respectful if creating a new listing. To avoid this issue altogether, only collect and sell PreWW2 cards, as the players are all gone now.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 09-13-2020 at 08:30 PM. Reason: added riveting PreWW2 collecting commentary
Old 09-13-2020, 08:39 PM
Steve Birmingham

Inflated prices because someone died is a very old thing in the hobby.

The first time I saw it was with Jim Gilliam.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear it had happened much earlier.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:46 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

A few years ago I bought a collection of autographed cards. I listed a bunch online at fixed price. I can always tell when someone dies because all of the players cards sell immediately.

If you have mixed feelings about it, do what feels right.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:54 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default good movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
“Mickey Mantle don’t care about you. Why should you care about him?” “We’ll see if your father can’t pay the rent, go ask Mickey Mantle. See what he tells you...”
Old 09-14-2020, 08:10 AM
H Murphy

Kryptonite............ !!!!!
Old 09-14-2020, 06:26 PM
Brendan Mullen

Kryptonite............ !!!!!

Eddie Mush hahahahaha
Old 09-14-2020, 07:12 PM
Patrick N.

Default 30 days

After some thinking, I'm going to wait a minimum of 30 days. I think that's a fair time period, if I lose a few bucks that's ok,--I think waiting some time shows some respect--I don't think profiteering is the way to go while the body is still warm, so to speak. Don't want the reputation of being a death merchant, JMO

Last edited by mintacular; 09-14-2020 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
After some thinking, I'm going to wait a minimum of 30 days. I think that's a fair time period, if I lose a few bucks that's ok,--I think waiting some time shows some respect--I don't think profiteering is the way to go while the body is still warm, so to speak. Don't want the reputation of being a death merchant, JMO
I think the same way as you, it's profiting off of someone's death, but doing it while knowing that their passing is the reason you're getting the extra money. Instead of mourning the loss, you're thinking about how their death benefits you. I couldn't do that and I too am surprised at how nonchalant everyone is here about it, but to each his own. I'm not saying anyone is wrong, it's just not for me.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 09-14-2020, 08:22 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

The fans, through their entertainment dollars, make these men multi-millionaires. I don’t think they give two $hi+s if those same fans make a few bucks, selling their baseball cards, when they die. I wouldn’t worry about it.

If they are looking down, they probably enjoy seeing their cards’ increased demand. This is a testament and tribute to their ball playing greatest. Their friends and family probably also enjoy seeing renewed interest in their lost loved one. Again, it’s a testament to them and their greatness.

You did not create the increased demand, but should increase the supply to ensure all these mens’ fans have the opportunity to pay tribute and remember these great men.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:57 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I fail to see how putting up an item of someone who has just died is unethical or unseemly.

I can see an argument if there is price gouging.

My opinion, of course, and, of course, if a seller chooses not to that it fine.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:12 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

I've been to see Bud Grant, who's in his 90s, to get some of my Metropolitan seats and seat parts autographed. I've visited him about 4 or 5 times. At one point, in the middle of signing about 50 seat backs, he paused and smiled and said, "I suppose these will go up in value after I die,"

I replied, "When you die, there will be a week or two when these things will really sell well. There will be lots of tributes to you here in Minnesota, and definitely a big spike in demand. And after that, demand will remain strong because you're an icon in this state, and in the Hall of Fame.

Then, trying to keep a straight face, I said, "So.... how you feeling?"
Old 09-15-2020, 05:11 AM
Tim Odeen

Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 09-15-2020, 05:17 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
I think the same way as you, it's profiting off of someone's death, but doing it while knowing that their passing is the reason you're getting the extra money. Instead of mourning the loss, you're thinking about how their death benefits you. I couldn't do that and I too am surprised at how nonchalant everyone is here about it, but to each his own. I'm not saying anyone is wrong, it's just not for me.
You have to do what's right by you. You look in the mirror each morning and night, nobody else gets to see the reflection. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with your choice. However, 30 days is a long time to wait, although I'm not arguing with you. Death is not very respected in our culture. Individuals only get a MOMENT of silence, and then it returns to life as usual. I think even if you waited 7 days it would obviously set you apart from profiteers.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:44 AM

I wasn't actually talking about the specific amount of days, rather the idea of immediately profiting off of someone's death. I don't know that there is an ideal specific amount of time to wait, because the general idea would still be the same if you're just waiting out of respect, but still have the desire to make extra money. I also don't have a stock of items specifically to sell, so I'm not the best person to ask. If I ran a business buying/selling cards, then I'd put more thought into how long to wait.

I just know that I personally avoid the initial desire to capitalize on death. It's not my first thought or even a thought in most cases. I know that for certain now because I do have a large lot of Tom Seaver cards I bought about 15 years ago with the idea to resell in smaller lots/individually and until I read this post, it never even crossed my mind to sell them.

I used to see that a baseball player had died, then check Ebay for the vultures, but I haven't done that in many years because I realized that it just annoyed me every time.

As I said though, it's all personal opinion and just because I feel a certain way, it doesn't make it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
You have to do what's right by you. You look in the mirror each morning and night, nobody else gets to see the reflection. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with your choice. However, 30 days is a long time to wait, although I'm not arguing with you. Death is not very respected in our culture. Individuals only get a MOMENT of silence, and then it returns to life as usual. I think even if you waited 7 days it would obviously set you apart from profiteers.

Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 09-15-2020, 09:16 AM
Casey

Just be respectful about it.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:47 PM
J@RR0D

I am kind of surprised to see so many folks that are fairly unopinionated about this. I remember 2-3 years ago a player had died (honestly can't recall who) and the next day or so a member listed a few items of that player and was BLASTED for it. "Jeez, he's not even cold yet" type comments.

I understand if all of a sudden someone was asking $1500 for a signed cut of Lou Brock the day after he died, but if asking fairly reasonable prices just sell when you can sell.

Last edited by scmavl; 09-15-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:31 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Baseball card collecting is mentioned nowhere in the Bibles, so you're all going to Hell anyway.

Last edited by drcy; 09-15-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:40 PM

I think you meant "...going to Hell, Amway."

Brian (life is good at the top of the pyramid)
Old 09-15-2020, 05:07 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I'm of two minds on the subject. People can do whatever the heck they want with their own stuff. It's Business 101 - if you think you can take advantage of a situation (the death of a player) to make a sale and earn a profit, then it's undoubtedly a smart play to do so.

However, me personally? When I see the immediate, rapacious listings on ebay following a player's death (like Seaver and Brock recently), and all of the flowery verbiage the sellers throw into their listings, it pisses me off to no end, so I just shake my head and zip past their listings, paying them no mind.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Generally speaking the body should be cold before the sales start. That is not a mandatory requirement though.

And yes, being respectful seems like the only requirement nowadays.

Last edited by Leon; 09-18-2020 at 11:10 AM.