NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-10-2020, 08:54 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Default Why do you collect what you collect?

I'm always curious about what motivates a card collector to collect what he/she collects. Of course you have your "if I had a million dollars" list (currently that's one mid grade basketball rookie card with a 40000 psa pop) but my question is what motivates you to collect a year? a player?, a set?, a back?, etc.

Personally, I collect images, although I've embarked on my first attempt at a set (E94 set of 30) thanks to the bad influence of Leon and his pre war Cronies on this forum.

48 Bowman? My set is complete with 3 cards. Musial, Feller, Richardson. Don't see the sense in chasing a Rizzuto, he looks like someone gave him a hot foot while wearing a vintage umpire pad under his shirt. I'll take his tops 53 thank you very much.

29 Kashin vs 33 Goudey Gehrig? I'm fortunate enough to have both but you can guess which one I like more.

39 Play Ball? My set is 5-7, portraits only. Ott, Hubbell, Gehringer, etc.

48 Leaf Jackie? Never, that's an ugly ass card. My set is two, Williams and Vander Meer.

54 Wilson Franks? 1 image.

52 Topps? 1 image. Jackie. 53 Topps 6 images. 51 Bowman 10.

You get the point but that's how I collect, how and why do you collect what you collect?

Now if I can just get someone on this sub to sell me their E121 Sisler (batting) my life would be complete...

Edit: Thank you to member itjclarke for making my Sisler quest complete.

Last edited by Casey2296; 10-12-2020 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:00 PM

When I was about 11 I set out to get one (playing-days contemporary) card of every MLB hall of famer. Obviously I didn't get very far as a kid (I had a couple Goudeys, but that was it for pre-war at the time). So, why do I collect what I collect? I'm finishing my childhood card collection.

Also branching out into Japanese cards, because I like learning about an entirely different world of baseball. But even there it's one of each HOFer.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:08 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I collect Japanese too, great images and the baseball history between our two nations is something special. I always thought if T206 collectors ever got bored with back variations they could collect Japanese backs which is an almost insurmountable task.

Last edited by Casey2296; 10-10-2020 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:58 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Just got the collecting bug when I was a boy and never changed.

My first big year for baseball and football cards was 1971. In 1972 I started ripping packs of basketball cards. 1975 is the year I started buying hockey cards. I quickly moved on to the chase for older cards. My uncle gave me The Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading and Bubble Gum Book (Little Brown, 1973; Brendan C. Boyd & Fred C. Harris) and I read it until it fell apart. It was my first real exposure to the art of golden age Topps and Bowman and those cards were now on my radar. I found The Complete Book of Baseball Cards: For the Collector, Flipper and Fan [1975; Steve Clark] and was hooked on T cards.

My first card show was Thanksgiving 1976 at the Roosevelt Hotel in New York, sponsored by the ASCCA. I’d become a Willie Mays fan when he returned to New York in 1973, so my first great project was to collect an example of every Mays card. I finished the Topps run at that show with the 1952 and 1953 cards. My mother nearly ripped my father’s head off when she found out that he loaned me $45 to buy them.

We moved to L.A. in 1977 and the only good thing about the move as far as I was concerned was that I fell ass-backwards into perhaps the richest collecting environment around. I quickly became involved with the West Coast Card Club, which held monthly meetings in a church basement and later a social hall in Northridge. I also lucked into several collections that were given to me by family and friends.

My collection at that point was pretty much about the four sports, Topps, Bowman and a smattering of T cards. It was during that time that I focused on a few Western regional issues that have ever since fascinated me: Zeenuts, Bell Brand, 1968 Atlantic Oil.

I put away the cards after the 1980 baseball season and really did not return to them for nearly a decade, when I decided to attend a massive show at the Moscone Center in San Francisco as a welcome diversion from law school. Unfortunately, in a moment of existential panic in 1987 I sold off a big chunk of my collection to raise some cash before law school. I really did not buy much at the Moscone show but I was re-energized to start collecting. I then attended shows throughout the Bay area if I could get to them on BART or other public transit.

When I returned to L.A. after graduating and got a job and started having disposable income, I really got back into collecting, aided by the abundance of shows. It was a rare weekend that I did not have at least a show a day to attend and set up at.

My collecting changed immeasurably around that time owing to two meetings at shows. At one, a fellow had 1948 Leaf cards of Barney Ross and Benny Leonard. I sort of knew that boxing cards existed but seeing these, I was instantly smitten. I bought the pair for a few bucks and took them home to show my father. He looked at the Ross card and said the words that changed my collection forever: “I think my cousin Ray fought him.”

You could have knocked me over with a puff of air. “Dad,” I said, “if you have a cousin who was a boxer that means I have cousin who was a boxer.” He then told me about Ray Miller for the first time and I realized that I was related to a world-class athlete.

The other collection-changer for me was meeting an old-time collector named John Spalding. Some of you might have known John. He was a collector from the Bay area with a strong background in PCL history and sports. But that isn’t what got me interested. It was his album of prewar Exhibit cards. I knew of and had collected the postwar cards from time to time, but I’d never seen anything like these. Over the course of several shows I purchased giant stacks of them from John (many of which I still have), while making a general pest of myself picking his brain about the issue and others as well.

As far as specifics, as I age I find myself most drawn to the cards issued when I was a kid and the older ones that I had when i was a kid. I have projects too. My collecting looks like this:

--A world boxing type card collection represented whenever possible by favorite fighters: Benny Leonard, Joe Louis, Jim Jeffries, Manny Pacquiao. I'm approaching 1,500 unique issues
--Some boxing memorabilia, mostly premiums.
--A boxing HOF collection represented by career-contemporary cards whenever possible, which I use as the backbone of the type card collection (e.g., I have a type card from the 1931 Bigott set from Venezuela that happens to be HOFer Pedro Montanez), premiums or other memorabilia when no cards exist.
--Prewar baseball cards and ephemera: i especially like oddball issues that cost a fraction of the mainstream cards.
--Exhibit cards and related arcade issues
--Postwar mainstream collections of baseball basketball, football and hockey focusing on the 1970s and raw: gimme a 5000 count box of 1972 Topps anything and I enthralled for hours
--Autographs and cards of musicians and comedians

RIP EVH

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-11-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:24 PM

I started all of this in 1972. The Sunoco football stamp album. It was a real mania for us twelve year olds. I still have it. I think I am a dozen or so short. The next year, a schoolmate named Joe got me going on the 1973 Topps baseball set. It was the year that Hank Aaron was making his assault on the home run record. Joe was a good guy. Unfortunately he was killed when a hydraulic cylinder failed while he was fixing a dump truck.
I worked on Topps baseball in the seventies. Learned about the Card Collectors' Company. Picked up some vintage stuff.
I fell victim to the 80's craze. Tried to corner the Don Mattingly market. So I have a little of everything. I had to liquidate a hoard of T207's and T206's I had collected because life happened.
I now focus more. I can't get everything, so I work on my Buffalo C46's. I am working on 2001 Topps gold parallel. Pick up an oddball thing here and there. I like the game. I like it's history. I like the graphic design of the old cards. And I don't worry if anyone cares. (Except for my wife, of course. I bury the card purchases under 'educational expenses')
Old 10-11-2020, 05:40 PM
Ben North

When my younger brother got me into collecting around 35 years ago I decided to pick one player. To me batting average is the most important thing. Back then Wade Boggs was the man for batting average. So I have been collecting him for a long time. The last couple years I have been collecting his bats. I am 1 bat away from filling a 20 bat display with his bats.

I also like weird and unusual items so I have lot of printing error cards and oddball memorabilia of all kinds.

Last edited by bnorth; 10-11-2020 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:24 PM
�tis J�hns�n

Complete sets. As many as possible and as complete as possible. That means master sets, errors and variations. Including odd stuff like 1960 Fleer #80 and 1967 Topps Maris as a Yankee.
One thing that hasn't changed since I was a kid is that condition is almost meaningless to me. My collecting philosophy has always been Quantity Over Quality. Completion is the thing for me.
Now, if someone will sell me a T205 Hobby no-stats, I'll move on to the next set.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:05 AM
Tim Odeen

Pictures make everything better! I'm a secondary history teacher, MA in US History. My mom is a collector of furniture and milk glass. I'm also interested in family history. The combination of my mom and liking historical stories is the nature/nurture reason I collect. Started buying baseball cards in 1991 when it was Topps 40th anniversary. I also had/have ADHD, and cards and baseball were an incentive to pay attention in school.

I got rid of 95% of my card collection in college. I hate the gambling aspect of modern cards - spend money with no guarantee of return value. Refocused on whatever I thought was cool. I'd rather buy specifically what I want rather than blow money for no purpose.

Grew up in Billings, MT. Minor league affiliate of Cincinnati is/was there. Turned me into a Reds fan. I collect Barry Larkin, Joey Votto, Ernie Lombardi and 1939/40 era because of this. I'm hoping Tyler Stephenson will be the next Reds legend to be developed and stay with the team. The picture is Barry Larkin's personal WS celebration hat, signed. Picked it up this spring from a board member. Super excited about it. Centerpiece of my modern Reds collection. Have been working to put together the W-711 Reds set. Getting closer. W-711 is centerpiece of my 1939/40 collection.

I collect Tris Speaker because he is a distant relative. My grandma didn't know much about him other than my grandpa was related to him as distant cousins. But to a 7 year old, that's pretty cool. Picked up a Speaker auto from Lelands in 2013/14. Still love it!

I also collect items that tell the story of MLB history. This is probably most easily associated with type collecting. I'm in the middle of selling stuff because this idea is too broad, but I love it. If I had more room I'd continue collecting as I do. But I narrowed it down to Cal Ripken Jr and Lou Gehrig (this was my first major historical memory of MLB I can remember watching on TV). I also am thinking of expanding into Ty Cobb because of his friendship / relationship with Tris Speaker. I also have Joe Dimaggio because of his connection with the 1939 WS against the Reds. And Stan Musial. My LCS had some unique items for Stan one day that I bought. Makes a nice display. And I love advertisements for Wheaties!

I have a couple modern miscellaneous items for Griffey Jr, and Jeter. Might collect them some day when I get bored and need a new focus. I get bored of collecting the same old thing and need new outlets for searching on ebay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 10-12-2020 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:13 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs336 View Post
Complete sets. As many as possible and as complete as possible. That means master sets, errors and variations. Including odd stuff like 1960 Fleer #80 and 1967 Topps Maris as a Yankee.

One thing that hasn't changed since I was a kid is that condition is almost meaningless to me. My collecting philosophy has always been Quantity Over Quality. Completion is the thing for me.

Now, if someone will sell me a T205 Hobby no-stats, I'll move on to the next set.
Quantity over quality drives me too. Sometimes it sucks, but I've got some cool pieces!

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 10-12-2020, 01:12 AM
James M.

I say I collect a little bit of "everything." Everything being mostly cards from the 1960's and backwards. Mickey Mantle is one of my biggest draws, I'm just enamored by him. His career, the constant "what ifs", the fact he did so much on practically one knee. He's my main draw I would say. Have some Mays and Aaron too in my small collection. I recently find myself getting interested in Tobacco/Caramel Cards as well. Eddie Collins, Christy Mathewson, and Walter Johnson. I would love to own a Cobb or a Wagner one day, it's just not in the cards at the moment. A little too far out of my price range, when I feel like there's other collecting goals I need to accomplish first. I suppose If I stumble across a Cobb that I fall in love with, and can't pass up on the deal I would take it.

Lou Gehrig is another player that I've taken a lot of interest in lately. I've always appreciated the 33 and 34 goudey cards of his. I discovered his Kashin recently along with the 33 Delong as well. Pipe dreams at this point though, I can't afford them. At least ones in presentable condition.

Autographs is something else that I'm very interested in too. I worked on a Ron Lewis Living Legends set for a little bit, before getting a good deal on a complete one. I have a few doubles, but I'm a bit of a hoarder and don't want to get rid of them! I suppose I could display the doubles and then keep the main set stored away.

I love the history of our National Pastime. As a History Buff and a History Teacher, I really do enjoy reading about careers of random players that I discover, that I never saw play. Owning some of their cards makes me feel like I have a window into the era that they played in.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:41 AM

Default Yankees

Life-long NYY fan. I started in 1970's trying to get a card of each player in a NYY uniform, then later, an original photo in a NYY uniform or an autograph. For some early players, I have conceded and picked up a non-uni card or photo. There are 79 players who were in only one game as a NYY. I have a card, photo and/or autograph of 61 so far. Some are rare or scarce. eg see Guy Cooper Bain photo. It is dated the day he appeared in his one game.

It is also remarkable, at least to me, that there are some later players that seem impossible to find as a NYY: Greg Harris (1994) Jeff Patterson (1995) Billy Brewer (1996). You would think that the team might have made a photo available.

I find it a lot of fun to score really obscure players rather than investment stuff. And some not so obscure. Germany Schaefer has several cards noted as NYAL but he is always in a Detroit uni. He played one game on 8.9.1916 for NYY. Couple years ago I found a great photo of him fooling around in a NYY sweater.

The what part of the question is easy. The why part is harder. At my age, I feel like I am just renting these items for a little while.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cooper Guy 1914 Bain photo.jpg (68.4 KB, 667 views)
File Type: jpg Cooper 3-14-1914 reverse.jpg (75.6 KB, 667 views)
File Type: jpg Schaefer Germany 1916 original photo.jpg (72.2 KB, 669 views)

PreWar NYAL cards, photos, etc.
WantList: Mendelsohns Marsans; Rose 760PC Niles; Koester Mitchell; Koester Ferguson;1924 Diaz Roettger
Successful deals with 60+ board members
Old 10-12-2020, 07:03 AM
Casey

MLB expansion team - Houston Colt 45s. The name lasted only 3 years. Terrible stadium. Had some great and unique players hodgepodge together. Where else can you find a MLB player in uniform on a mule? :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20201012-075818.jpg (75.7 KB, 658 views)

Last edited by Case12; 10-12-2020 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:10 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post

I love the history of our National Pastime. As a History Buff and a History Teacher, I really do enjoy reading about careers of random players that I discover, that I never saw play. Owning some of their cards makes me feel like I have a window into the era that they played in.
I'm a high school history teacher. Do you teach middle school, high school, or college?

Old 10-12-2020, 08:18 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I'm a high school history teacher. Do you teach middle school, high school, or college?

Middle School at the moment! I came into the profession young, combined with the fact that some high school students look older than me, I felt like middle school was the best option ! They switched my grade this year though, went from 8th to 6th, which I'm not exactly thrilled about, but it could defintely be worse! Maybe somewhere down the line I move to a High School!

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:30 AM
Richard A.

These types of posts fascinate me. I enjoy reading/hearing about how folks got to where they are, in terms of what they collect.

My collecting started in the 80s. Junk wax galore. But I read about baseball constantly. I don't recall price guides going back further than 1948 Bowman, so I thought those were the oldest cards, until I learned about the T206 Wagner in around 1991 or so (I think I still have a clipping from our local newspaper talking about Gretzky and McNall buying their famous Wagner). Still, I always dreamed of owning a 1951 Topps RB Berra and a 1948 Bowman Spahn.

When I returned to collecting in the early 2000s, I started collecting 1948 Bowman and 1951 Topps RB. Gar Miller helped me build those sets, and he also introduced me to early T & E cards. To think that nearly 100 year old cards could be affordable blew my mind. About the same time, I started reading what I would call 'adult non-fiction' baseball books. That really brought baseball to life for me, and my collecting has basically followed what I read. Read a Jackie Robinson bio, buy a Robinson card. Read about Joe DiMaggio, buy a Joe DiMaggio.

Eventually I read Lawrence Ritter's Glory of their Times, found out about George Gibson, and the rest is kind of history. My collection now is mostly focused on Gibson, but in the past two years or so, I have branched out and started to pick up pre-war cards of other Canadian guys. Almost like a Canadian type card collection, really, though I am also working on a C46 Toronto team set.

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving everyone

Richard.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:21 AM
Michael Skiles

Default Collecting

Started in 1962. I was 6. It's still my favorite set. Lifelong Tigers fan. My grandfather was on the ground crew at Briggs Stadium during World War II. My mother was a huge fan. She met Hank Greenberg. He through a Christmas party for the ground crew and other staff in 1945. She also met Ty Cobb. I collected full sets until 1986. I sold them to buy a house when I got married. I kept my Post Cereal and Jello cards since my mom used to cut them off the backs of boxes. I have master sets of the 3 US baseball sets. A near master set of 62 US Football. Also have the Canadian sets from 62 and 63. I kept most of the Tiger things she had: Goudey Wide Pens, Butterfingers Pictures, a couple of 52 Bowmans etc.. I have rebuilt my Tigers cards from 1953 on up. Need a couple to finish. I have continued to collect Post Cereal and Jello cards through the years including hockey cards released in Canada. As for now I am working on a 2012 Topps Gypsy Queen set. (Just something to keep me occupied) Really like the stories in this thread!
Old 10-12-2020, 11:18 AM

Why do you collect what you collect ? Because it is fun and a great hobby of Americana. Because I collected as a kid, still have much interest as an adult. Because I prefer the old vintage more rare stuff. And I collect top tier HOFers because I feel spending my hard earned money on this type of cards has investment upside.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:08 PM
J0hn Collin$

I was introduced to cards as collectibles in 3rd grade at age 8 with the Topps Garbage Pail Kids, which were all the rage at the time. The packs cost a quarter down at the local 7-11, and we all took them to school in the pockets of our jean jackets, stacks with rubber bands around the cards. You had to be careful though, because the cards were gross and some teachers were banning them. I even remember there being an article in our "Weekly Reader" newsletters about them.

I had a GPK collecting buddy who once boasted to me that he had the entire 1985 Topps set of baseball cards, which I thought was impossible. 700 some cards? This led to me getting curious and buying some packs of '86 Topps baseball when they came out. I remember getting a Dwight Gooden record breaker in that first pack.

So, from 1986 on I bought packs of new cards, but at some point - maybe a year or so later - two things happened which I really consider as having ignited my passion about cards in general. One - somewhere I came across a price guide (this was not Beckett, so I'm guessing it was CCP or something like that) and discovered what old cards were. I was immediately smitten without ever having even held an old card. I don't know how to describe why, but I immediately knew even as a kid that this was going to be a great "interest" of mine. I immediately began scheming on ways to acquire "old" baseball cards. This included writing a letter to Topps, which they politely responded to and attempted to explain that they did not stock old inventory to resell. I believe they sent me a list of popular dealers, but as an 11 year-old or so, I didn't know what to do with that. The second big thing around that time that happened was that I discovered a stash of "old" cards for sale at a local antique mall. The cards turned out to be from the collection of former major league catcher Paul Burris (Milwaukee Braves backup to Del Crandall...) who was from and still lived in the area near my hometown. The collection was random, but the prices were good and I remember being allowed to take home a few treasures, including a 1955 Bowman Andy Pafko, and a 1962 Topps Gil Hodges.

These two events set the hook, and while I continued to collect "modern" cards from packs at the time, nothing about them ever really compared to my love for what we today call "vintage" (then simply called old...) cards. As it was the late 1980's / early 90's - I was fortunate enough to be surrounded by card shops for much of my coming of age. My mother was my partner in crime and would take me to the card shops and even one pawn shop that doubled as a card shop - to buy the old stuff. I'm sure she got in trouble with my father upon occasion, but she understood my passion and rarely said no. The result was by the time I was about 15 years old - I had amassed a pretty decent collection of old cards for a kid - including examples of Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams, Duke Snider, and other Hall of Famers. Nolan Ryan became a big thing in terms of collecting nationally in about 1990. We all wanted the rookie card, but the best I could do at the time was an off-centered '73 Topps. But man how I cherished that card - it was from his greatest single season, after all.

The rest is pretty typical, I suppose. I quit collecting most new cards in high school around 1994 as I gradually began to become more concerned about girls and cars and more worldly things. The cards remained mothballed in college, but as a senior I was lucky enough to find out about online auctions and "list servs" - which was a new thing even before eBay - that held my interest briefly as a young adult. I remember getting a beat up '53 Yogi Berra from an auction on one of those and thinking "Wow, this is so much cheaper than this same card would have gone for in a shop back in the day." I again put any hobby ambitions away before going back to grad school part time in the early 2000's - there simply wasn't enough time for it. After that, still considered a newlywed, I had plenty of other things to do including first houses, first children, etc etc.

I would say I got back into cards for good as an adult about 5 years ago - after realizing upon several random occasions that I missed the hobby and had not done anything about it - and that repetitive thought was sad to me. So after Christmas in 2015, I think - I took some some cash that had been a gift and blew it all on cards on eBay. Today, my main focus is still postwar Hall of Famers, because that was what always captivated me as a kid. While I like the idea of prewar, I also made the decision recently not to focus on it simply because of the expense. To me quantity can be a sort of quality, and I'd rather have 5 nicer midgrade cards of 50's and 60's HOF'ers than one lower grade prewar star card. I've always for some reason related better to postwar players too - I suppose because part of the thrill of it all for me is collecting things my Dad might once have had growing up. I have tried for some time now to say that I'm a set collector - but this is not really true. Sets and large groups of commons in general have never really been able to hold my interest the way the nicer cards of stars and HOF'ers have. I am currently trying to put together a midrange set of 1972 Topps, simply for the experience - I do want to complete at least one vintage set in my time here on this earth.

All in all I would guess pretty typical. I've put the cards down from time to time, but they have always come back around. The hobby is my escape from the rest of the world, and has come back to help me in times of trouble recently like a few years ago during the time of my mother's illness and subsequent passing. My motivation now is really that original feeling of nostalgia associated with something from another era, and knowing that you possess something "real" from it. I like to imagine now how simple certain times gone by were, and how the cards relate to that. As a kid it seemed to be much more about the game and the players only - but now I kind of have broadened out and am interested in aspects of the historical hobby as well. Since joining Net54 maybe 5 years ago - I've learned that talking about the hobby and cards can be a hobby in itself!

Last edited by jchcollins; 10-12-2020 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:00 PM

I collect what I collect because it brings back memories. Opened packs in the 1950's and the 1960's, therefore I collect the 1950's and the 1960's.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:34 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I collect because I have become addicted to the cardboard crack.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:37 AM
Gary

For me, collecting began in 1976 when I was 8. My grandmother came to visit with a friend of hers who worked in a newsagent in Manhatten. He brought my brother and me a Topps vending box. (I still have that box and the cards that came in it,)

At the time, I loved playing baseball and watching games on TV, but hadn't really had any cards. When I got the vending box I asked my Dad to explain the stats on the back of the cards. He explained the rules of thumb... >. 300 batting average was good... Less than. 3.00 ERA was good.

That was it. I was hooked. Every Saturday, I took the $2 my Dad paid me to cut the grass and rode my bike to buy new packs of cards. Then one day, a baseball card shop opened up in my local mall. My mind was well and truly blown. There were rows and rows of cards in plastic trays and binders with sleeves. The cards going back to the 50s. I asked to look at the early cards but the price per card was $1 or 75 cents for the commons... I wouldn't get many cards for my $2. The 1960 Topps were only 20 cents each. That was the right balance for me. They looked cool and I knew some of the players from my Dad and uncles. I could get 10 commons each week. That worked for me.

I'd bring home my cards and go through them with my Dad. He'd remember stories about those players. My dad wasn't usually the easiest person to spend time with - so going through my weekly card pickups with him was great.

Ayear or two later I begged my dad to take me to a big baseball card convention near Texas Rangers Stadium. My mind was blown a second time. All I wanted every birthday or Christmas was baseball cards or money for baseball cards. This went on until I bought a case of Topps wax packs in 1984. After that, my money went into getting a car and my new girlfriend. My collection was left in my parents house. 20 years later, I was married, with kids and living in England. Ona visit to my parents house, my mother wanted me to take my cards or she was going to throw them out. I sold most of my best cards at the LCS (1960 Mantle, Koufax, Yaz, etc). That money was helpful to my young family. The rest of the cards came home with me to England and stayed in my attic.

20 years further, my kids are grown and I revisited those cards in my attic. I dusted them off and assessed what I had. My original 1978 vending box was there as well as cards ranging from 1956 to 1984. I decided to slowly rebuild my 1960 set. My collecting resurgence has grown from there.

I'm spending my late adulthood recreating what I had as a kid..and with it a connection to history and my late father.

I collect a little bit of everything now, but my main focus is to complete my 1960s topps set and others from the 1950s to the 1970s. I also love the Kelloggs sets that remind me of the days when I sent off for them in the mail.

I have a soft spot for autographs, world series tickets and pinbacks. But really, I'm inclined to pick up anything that triggers a bit of nastalgia for me.

I don't have the budget for some of the premier sets like the T206 or the cracker Jack sets.
For me the 1930 W554 set has been a great intro to the pre-war sets. We'll see where it goes from here.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:49 AM
Br.ent So.bie

What I think is great about this thread is the diversity of collecting exhibited. I can honestly say that if most of what others collect on here were offered to me for free, I would politely decline.

I'm also sure that the overwhelming majority of members here would have zero interest in what I collect.

That's part of the beauty of the hobby, the unlimited choice, and the fact that there are no rules to collecting.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:28 PM
Rich White

I have been collecting vintage Baseball related magazine advertising and Old magazines with baseball covers for about 25+years now. The stuff just intrigued me when I first found those vintage ads in old Life/Look/Colliers/Post magazines in an old book store in Oakland that was closing after 50 years of doing business.

That got me "hooked" where else can you find a 1935 full page Babe Ruth ad pushing Barbasol shaving creme or Joe DiMaggio pushing Camel cigarettes, or Ty Cobb or Christy Mathewson pushing Tuxedo Tobacco from 1915.

Back in the mid 70's I collected with my sons and we collected hard until about 1988 when the card market went crazy. Today I do enjoy collecting game used cards and mainly focus on Yankee cards picking up Aaron Judge when I get a chance.

I remember collecting back in grammar school when you could pick up 5 packs for a quarter, take them to school and trade during recess. Built up quite a collection into the early 60's..........then GIRLS took top spot........then the draft and Vietnam. When I came home I asked what happened to my boxes of cards in my closet??? " IBurned them"...........Oh OK what ever? Yikes I really could have cashed in with those boxes. I have saved all of the cards that me and my Boys collected back when and they will have the opportunity to enjoy them again one day. I wish my Aunt would have done that!!
Old 10-13-2020, 08:43 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Middle School at the moment! I came into the profession young, combined with the fact that some high school students look older than me, I felt like middle school was the best option ! They switched my grade this year though, went from 8th to 6th, which I'm not exactly thrilled about, but it could defintely be worse! Maybe somewhere down the line I move to a High School!
I went from a 4A school, to a 1A school, and now I'm at I think 1B (the smallest school in Washington State). I love it! I taught 9th grade at my first two schools and quickly tired of that. It's a bit harder now, I teach 6/8/9/11/12, but I love being able to cover all of history! I love the 6th grade and 8th grade purely for classroom atmosphere. 11th grade US History post-reconstruction is my favorite subject. Right now we're on a hybrid schedule due to COVID. It's tough.

Funny story - when I worked at my first school I was routinely pulled over by janitors at 4:30/5:00 wondering why a student was wandering the hallways. So I totally understand what you're saying about looking young!
Old 10-13-2020, 09:59 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by skil55voy View Post
I have continued to collect Post Cereal and Jello cards through the years including hockey cards released in Canada.
I did not know those existed; can you post a few here?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-14-2020, 03:57 PM
�tis J�hns�n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I'm a hockey ignoramus, so I did an eBay search for "post cereal hockey" and got 1,763 hits. Another Net54 learning experience.
Old 10-14-2020, 04:36 PM
pete ullman

As a Kid I had a HOF binder...where I had all of my HOF'ers grouped by player in chronological order...and I had a NY Yankees binder for only yankees. Sold my collection to replace a totalled car in high school.

When I got back into the hobby in the early 90's I focused on rare backed t206's and started type collecting. I basically wanted to do what Leon almost did...I was motivated by the Sport Americana Price guide that had color pics of types in the center from the halper collection.

After 10-15 years of this...completed an e94 set, an e90-2 set and a n43 set but set collecting really isnt my thing. For similar reasons I tired of type collecting...spending lots of money on common players because the set is super tough...and common players within sets wasn't satisfying.

I sold most of my rare types and I'm mainly collecting babe ruth and ty cobb in the vintage realm...and some other top tier HOF'ers. Also trying to add to my dots miller run...which satisfies the type collector in me.

And I restarted a yankees binder...and a HOF binder which comprises most of my buying these days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0.jpg (75.1 KB, 452 views)
Old 10-14-2020, 07:41 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

I don’t know. Honestly, I don’t even watch much baseball.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 10-15-2020, 05:56 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs336 View Post
I'm a hockey ignoramus
Don't worry, this is the case for most people south of the border
I'm only teasing, my American friends...
Old 10-15-2020, 01:16 PM
Michael Skiles

Default I have pics - unable to load

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Can't get the pics to load. Doesn't matter the format jpg, gif etc..
Old 10-15-2020, 01:24 PM
Ben North

Quote:
jpg works but the pic needs to be 1.2mb or smaller.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:45 PM

Default Why do you collect what you collect?

"Why do you collect what you collect?"

I'm nuts.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:54 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

With so many other aspects of life being out of my control, I enjoy mixing the curation process with the game I love.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:58 PM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

Because, with T206, it was love at first sight..
Old 10-15-2020, 07:19 PM
J.O.N

I do it for the girls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:58 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

I do it to get yelled at by my wife.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfowler6 View Post
I do it for the girls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, we are much more attractive as nerdy card collectors

That said, I like baseball (Not current MLB) and like to collect old stuff. Baseball cards just make sense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d382.jpg (76.3 KB, 278 views)
Old 10-16-2020, 05:38 PM
Chris

I collect because of the history of the the game/player, connection I have to them and the innocence of the journey ( nothing like grabbing a card of a player and watching the numbers accumulate over time) the art, design etc.

I am a New York Yankees fan. Joe DiMaggio and Yogi Berra PC collector and a set builder of the following sets: 1948 Bowman/1951 - 1956 Topps; to me each represent different things DiMaggio is larger than life an American icon, and was a celebrity late into his life. As for Yogi he was a champion, he earned everything, a war hero and a philanthropist. To me each were better people than players and it makes collecting them fun.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:16 PM
Howard Chasser

Default I was born with the "Collector Gene"

Actually started with comic books. Landed at my first card show around age 11-13. Cajoled my mom out of $48 for a Clemente rookie - why? I don't have a great explanation - the card just appealed to me visually - at the time had no idea who Clemente was. Shortly thereafter picked up a sport americana price guide and learned about many of the non Topps/Bowman issues - I suppose "the challenge" has always been a motivating factor (thematically in a number of areas of my life). So started looking for the Clemente's from all those other sets as well as more of his Topps issues. Later learned about his life and was hooked. Have also dabbled on the side with rare issues like Topps test issues and assorted regional and food issues (The challenge). great idea for a thread.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:07 PM
Ben

I used to visit the local card shops weekly as a child. I loved the atmosphere of the shop. I loved just hanging out and talking sports. I'd spend approximately $50/week.

A few years ago, a guy named Orlando Rodriguez(he was a big time Cobb collector, Orly57) found me on Instagram and we formed a relationship. He helped me refocus my collection. I sold off a bunch of what I had to fund nicer things. I stopped going to the card shop. I stopped cold turkey. Orly told me that if you are looking for a certain card and the shop has whatever example that's what you have to settle for. I tried to be patient... So hard to do, because who doesn't want every nice card?

I had always wanted a Hank Aaron rookie. I was in the band from middle school all the way through college. I didn't really play much since graduating so I sold my trumpet to help fund that Hank Aaron rookie card. I got the best example I could afford.

After getting the Hank Aaron rookie, I noticed that I could find those all day, everyday. So I sold it.

I then got all 4 T206 Cobb's. Again you can find those all day, everyday. Sold them too.

A few weeks before the 2019 National in Chicago, I won the PC796 Honus Wagner PSA 2 in Heritage. I loved the image. My goal at the National was to improve my SGC 2.5 T206 Green Cobb. The card was superb for the grade. Orly helped me pick it out. I had no luck improving it at the National....

I sold it there.

I used those funds to get something nice at the Natty....

I go and visit Don Hontz (super duper nice guy). I see all of these nice looking/expensive cards. I had my eye on the Max Stein Cobb and the PC796 Cobb Wagner SGC 1.5... I was a few hundred $ short for the Max Stein Cobb but I got the PC796 Cobb/Wagner. It made sense since I had just purchased the Wagner a few weeks prior. Every time I passed his table another Cobb was gone.

A friend, who was at the show with me, said that I should complete the set. At the time, I didn't know much about the set. I looked into it and noticed it was only 25 cards. So it was something I thought could be achieved. I was in the mode to make that happen. If i hadn't purchased the Cobb/Wagner, I don't think I would have put the set together.

I bought almost every PC796 I saw at the show(Lajoie, Chance, Bridwell, and Cobb/Wagner). I was off to a great start.

Most of the cards in the PC796 set have a population of ~15 or less. So I like collecting something that is rare. I've always loved collecting vintage cards. I believe that value will increase and so will the demand. I like the images, especially the Speaker and the Cobb/Wagner(the best players of the dead-ball era shaking hands before the 1909 WS). Jim Van Brunt told me that maybe only 4 people that he knows have completed the set. In my pursuit, the hardest card to obtain was Tris Speaker. Most people who have completed the set state that Eddie Plank was the toughest.

I've made new connections while attempting the set: SeaBlaster Karthik Naidu, Mike Peich, Jeffrey Lichtman, DJ Richards, Jim Van Brunt, Taylor Hamilton, and Don Hontz. I hope I didn't leave anyone out.

This past April, my wife and I were planning to visit Boston for the Boston Marathon (we were going to spectate about 10 friends running the distance). My Eddie Plank was mailed to a Boston address and I was going to visit where it ended up back in 1910, but Covid-19 got in the way of that. Maybe next year I'll check that out.

Last edited by VintageBen; 10-21-2020 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:51 PM
Michael Skiles

Default Collecting

Quote:
Managed to cut pics down. To load. Sorry it took so long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg More Jello Hockey 1.jpg (85.2 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg More Jello Hockey 2.jpg (70.0 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Jello Hockey Boxes.jpg (77.1 KB, 116 views)
Old 11-02-2020, 08:05 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

This thread is full of great collecting stories, thank you all for sharing.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:50 PM
Ken McMillan

I got the bug as my great great Uncle Elmer Miller played for the Yankees in th teens and with the Yankes MLB team in 192 and 1922. He is literally the first Yankee to get a hit in a World Series and Ruth drove him in making him the first Yankee to scor a run in a World Series. I collect Elmer Miller cards and photos from the 1920’s and have his original signed contract from 1919 along with the signiatures of Ban Johnson and Jacob Rupert.

I also am a diehard Cubs fan so I have collected every card including errors in Topps from 1951 to currnt, a near complete front/ reverse set of T205 Cubs (148/151 cards), T207 Cubs front/ rverse set with all possible backs, S74 Cubs (if they ever com back from SGC, and starting a 1910 T210 Jacksonville Jays as I live near JAX.

Love collcting my teams