NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-07-2021, 06:54 PM
Jared

Default I need the 1915 Cracker Jacks, but do they need me?

So, a little backstory....

I collected 1915 Cracker Jacks in a uniform PSA 3 on two prior occasions and came within 21 cards of completion the first go around (2008-2014) and within about 45 the second time out (2016-circa 2018). Trying to locate these cards in a PSA 3 made this hunt extremely enjoyable for me, but also frustrated the hell out of me during dry spells. There was some fatigue that set in toward the end of my last pursuit, although I had small children during round two, which made focusing on the collection a tad bit difficult.

Since cutting bait, I’ve done little more than collect some raw, well-centered Dodgers players sets from ‘52-‘53 Topps. It hasn’t been the same, though, and I’ve struggled to identify any other PSA-graded set that would captivate me in the same way. My question: Would it be wise or worthwhile to give it another try?

Some considerations:

1) Prices have gone up, but so too has my income.

2) The possibility of CJ fatigue is very real and I may never recapture that original excitement.

3) The current card market may be the wrong time to buy.

4) There may be something even more amazing out there not yet realized.

Leave it to my dealer brother to gift me a ‘15 Daubert PSA 3 and a dirty syringe to set me on the path. That being said, I’d really appreciate your thoughts.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:10 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

My opinion is that Cracker Jacks are one of the most beautiful sets ever made, I also think they're undervalued. If you're going for a set on a budget 15CJ is the way to go, I'm not sure what the cost difference is but I would imagine double if you're going for the 14CJ. 3's are great since you can find more at an affordable price. I collect 14's but have a limited wish list of about 15 cards for my collection so it works out well. Unless you have unlimited resources when collecting Cracker Jacks I find it easier to take a Buddhist approach and let the cards come to me, and they do, at the right pace where I have the funds to buy them and in the right condition. You can't force collecting, it never works out well, those cards will come to you when they're ready.

Case in point I've been searching for a certain E98 for almost a year now, there's very few examples and everything available was trimmed, so I just accepted that and kept my eyes open knowing if it was meant to be that card would appear. And just tonight as I was researching Gehrig Exhibits a random vintage card website popped up in my search, I clicked on it out of curiosity and there was the card. No Ebay, no auction house, just me, the seller, and that card. Emailed the seller with an offer in my budget range, he emailed back and accepted within 10 minutes and it was done. Just like that. So now I get to change my signature line from 109/120 to 110/120. Fun stuff.

Good luck in the hunt!
-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14CJ Lajoie.jpg (78.1 KB, 284 views)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-

Last edited by Casey2296; 04-08-2021 at 03:38 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:18 PM
pete ullman

yes...cj's are some of the most beautiful cards ever made! building a cj set on a budget you say!!!!!! hahaha...a budget!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cjwajo022.jpg (77.4 KB, 283 views)
Old 04-07-2021, 07:23 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutsout47 View Post
So, a little backstory....

I collected 1915 Cracker Jacks in a uniform PSA 3 on two prior occasions and came within 21 cards of completion the first go around (2008-2014) and within about 45 the second time out (2016-circa 2018). Trying to locate these cards in a PSA 3 made this hunt extremely enjoyable for me, but also frustrated the hell out of me during dry spells. There was some fatigue that set in toward the end of my last pursuit, although I had small children during round two, which made focusing on the collection a tad bit difficult.

Since cutting bait, I’ve done little more than collect some raw, well-centered Dodgers players sets from ‘52-‘53 Topps. It hasn’t been the same, though, and I’ve struggled to identify any other PSA-graded set that would captivate me in the same way. My question: Would it be wise or worthwhile to give it another try?

Some considerations:

1) Prices have gone up, but so too has my income.

2) The possibility of CJ fatigue is very real and I may never recapture that original excitement.

3) The current card market may be the wrong time to buy.

4) There may be something even more amazing out there not yet realized.

Leave it to my dealer brother to gift me a ‘15 Daubert PSA 3 and a dirty syringe to set me on the path. That being said, I’d really appreciate your thoughts.
The cards definitely don't need you.

If you want to try again I say go for it, the hobby should be what makes you happy.

I have done something similar with T206s. Started collecting them twice before I sold them off. Then I thought maybe just a nice Red Cobb. Then sold the Cobb. For me now every time I think about starting them again I remember how I got tired of them multiple times.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:27 PM
Derek

Default Ooh a CJ thread. More please!

My 2nd favorite set behind 33 goudeys. Here's a perfect snobby CJ pose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_20210407_184712.jpg (78.1 KB, 250 views)

Last edited by SD; 04-07-2021 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:37 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
My opinion is that Cracker Jacks are one of the most beautiful sets ever made, I also think they're undervalued. If you're going for a set on a budget 15CJ is the way to go, I'm not sure what the cost difference is but I would imagine double if you're going for the 14CJ. 3's are great since you can find more at an affordable price. I collect 14's but have a limited list of about 15 cards for my collection so it works out well. Unless you have unlimited resources when collecting Cracker Jacks I find it easier to take a Buddhist approach and let the cards come to me, and they do, at the right pace where I have the funds to buy them and in the right condition. You can't force collecting, it never works out well, those cards will come to you when they're ready.

Case in point I've been searching for a certain E98 for almost a year now, there's very few examples and everything available was trimmed, so I just accepted that and kept my eyes open knowing if it was meant to be that card would appear. And just tonight as I was researching Gehrig Exhibits a random vintage card website popped up in my search, I clicked on it out of curiosity and there was the card. No Ebay, no auction house, just me, the seller, and that card. Emailed the seller with an offer in my budget range, he emailed back and accepted within 10 minutes and it was done. Just like that. So now I get to change my signature line from 109/120 to 110/120. Fun stuff.

Good luck in the hunt!
-
Fantastic post! And so spot on...

Patience is a virtue!
Old 04-07-2021, 10:09 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

There's just something about the CJ sets. Maybe it's because I used to eat CJ at my grandfather's while he taught me about baseball. Maybe it's just the magic of a prize being so beautiful. All I know is that, although I only have one in my collection, I will probably leave this earth with at least a couple more.
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 04-08-2021, 07:05 AM
Paul

“You can't force collecting, it never works out well, those cards will come to you when they're ready.”

This

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-08-2021, 09:42 AM
Ed Hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
a random vintage card website popped up in my search,
-
Glad you found that "random website", Phil
Old 04-08-2021, 10:52 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhans View Post
Glad you found that "random website", Phil
The E98 gods we’re smiling on me yesterday Ed, not only did I find your site in the morning, which has some fantastic cards, and picked up a Red Dooin upgrade along with an E121 Sisler batting I found another last night that had 1 E98, just so happens it was one I needed.
You can mark the Blue Wagner off my wish list I sent you yesterday.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 04-08-2021, 01:32 PM
Micah L Marshall II

Default 1915 cj

Love the post and can understand stopping then coming back. It sounds to me like the CJ's are your passion as you keep coming back. My thought is what if you didn't put such strict parameters on the grade, initially.

Get what is available that you like the overall look of and you can always upgrade the card later.

Good luck!

Completed 1986/87 Fleer Basketball

Completed 1935 National Chicle - 36/36

1933 Goudey - 195/240

Always looking for 1935 National Chicle Football cards or the premiums.