NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-10-2021, 09:48 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementeFanOh View Post
b) enabling Make an Offer, then automatically rejecting any offer made
I think it has been mentioned on other threads that eBay will sometimes add the Make An Offer option to listings that have been up for a while without the seller knowing that it happens. If that is true then that could be a reason why all offers are rejected.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:07 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
I think it has been mentioned on other threads that eBay will sometimes add the Make An Offer option to listings that have been up for a while without the seller knowing that it happens. If that is true then that could be a reason why all offers are rejected.
Ebay will send an email when they do that and it takes 10 seconds to turn offers back off again.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:49 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Ebay will send an email when they do that and it takes 10 seconds to turn offers back off again.
For sellers with a large number of listings, it's probably not worth their time to go and turn them off.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:56 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

"2) Someone was throwing around the term "tool" in reference to buyers.
Here are some indicators from a buyer's view, that the seller may be a
"tool":

a) endlessly cycling the same card at the same price for YEARS, without
changing the price (hint- your price is too high)

b) enabling Make an Offer, then automatically rejecting any offer made

c) behaving like ebay owns your cards, rather than you. The amount of
sellers who won't discuss sales outside of ebay- even after the auction
ENDS without a bid!- is astounding. Ebay is a clown show in most cases,
and the desire to transact on venues like net54 instead is a wise one. I
suppose the best way to say this is, 2 party sales are preferable to ones
involving a third party."

Hey, Trent, gotta disagree with you on some of this.

eBay allows an automatic rejection on best offers below a certain level. I use it to weed out lowballers. My main issue with eBay is that the anonymity allows for behavior no one would engage in at a card show. I mean, if you were at the National and you saw a Babe Ruth card for sale for $3000 would you go up to the seller and offer $300? Of course not, you'd be embarrassed to even try it.
Yet that is exactly what I get on eBay all the time. Same with arguing the price. No one at a card show would do that, so why do it on eBay?

As far as taking things off eBay, it could get the seller in trouble, as noted above. The polite way to do this is to contact the seller through N54 rather than through eBay, so that the eBay thought police don't come down on the seller. Demanding an off-eBay transaction through the eBay PM system is inconsiderate to the seller.

i also disagree with the idea that the buyer is more important than the seller. They are equals. I don't need to sell a specific buyer anything and I am tired of buyers acting like they are doing me a favor by making low offers on my inventory, especially in a seller's market like the last year.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-11-2021 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:23 AM

Default ebay offer etiquette?

Adam- you are certainly free to disagree. Out of concern for space, I
abbreviated my remarks just to get the main points across. In answer
to yours:

1) automatic rejections- I have made offers that were a mere 10% lower
than the BIN- say, $360 rather than $400. They have been rejected, so
I messaged the seller and try to discern what they are looking for. Sellers
have directly told me that they reject offers under the BIN. So, why offer?

2) taking things off ebay- I have NEVER asked an ebay seller to end an
auction early. I ask them to contact me when/if the auction ends without a
bid (usually, this is for people whose sale price is far too high). Here's the
important part- when that auction ends, so does ebay's interest. Period.
Despite that reality, some sellers (not all, some) behave like it's heresy to
sell outside ebay. It's as if they've forgotten the main goal- to sell the card!

3) Buyers> sellers all day long. One thing sellers tend to overlook ( to their
favor, of course) is that buyers set card values, NOT sellers. I recall reading
an anecdote that a 1970 price guide listed the T206 Wagner as a $100 card.
Today it's a $1 million dollar card, and it's foolish to say that $1m today is
the equivalent of $100 in 1970. The point is that, if buyers "decide" over
time with their wallets/spending habits that certain cards are more or
less valuable, then sellers can't blindly stick to what they expect, or
demand, or- even worse- think they are entitled to. Getting back in
some way to the original motivation for this topic, I have consistently been
underwhelmed by the subject matter knowledge/hobby interest/ integrity
of an uncomfortable percentage of ebay sellers. Naturally there are some
good ones; however, I find it's better in many ways to fish in better waters
like net54, and establish relationships with folks I like or trust. That way, I
don't have to argue with some random dude who expects me to pay triple
shipping costs on ebay so he can squeeze extra profit- and who takes
offense when I call him on it.

Trent King
Old 04-11-2021, 09:39 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

"3) Buyers> sellers all day long. One thing sellers tend to overlook ( to their
favor, of course) is that buyers set card values, NOT sellers."

I disagree. The phrase "seller's market" applies at certain times, like right now, where items in many categories are getting multiple offers and setting new price records. In that circumstance, the seller has the leverage, and proceeding on the premise that the buyer is always the superior party means you won't get the card. The same is true of a rare card: buyers do not set the value, sellers do. I am often approached to sell something I have that is an only known example, one of one, etc. My answer is to set a price and not haggle. if the buyer wants that price, fine, we have a deal. If not, they are free to go find it somewhere else. Which they cannot. 90% of the time I end up getting my price. 50% of the time I am depressed that I sold it, but that is another story altogether.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-11-2021, 02:08 PM
Howard Chasser

Default I agree with BOTH of you!

Just about point 3 - "who is more important" or "sets the price" - This will vary from card to card dictated by the simple economic principles of supply and demand.

When Supply > demand - there is downward pressure on price and buyers are more in the drivers seat. When demand > supply there is upward pressure on price and sellers are more in the drivers seat. With regard to graded cards - it is grade/condition specific, not absolute quantity. So a graded 8 of a particular card could be in limited supply with upward price pressure, while the same card in a graded 5 could have greater supply and downward price pressure assuming demand for both is equal. You can sometimes see this visually in VCP.

A factor that hasn't been mentioned about taking transactions off Ebay is it puts both parties at greater risk. I support transactions on and off the platform (as mentioned can be better for both parties), but wouldn't do it with just any Ebay user.

I agree with Trent on point 1 - absolutely ridiculous for a seller to accept offers if they are unwilling to consider anything less than their BIN.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:52 PM

Adam- Although I have most frequently bought/traded rather than sold cards, I have
no aversion to selling something when it a) has lost it's meaning in my collection or b)
has dramatically increased in value, thus paving my way to buy other things I want
more. So, I'm not averse to making money. I'm also very, very well aware that there
are many knowledgeable, kind and fair sellers- they get my business, and many use
this site

The reality is this, however. As much as I love cards, no one "needs" a card in the
way they "need" food, shelter, etc. Many sellers, on the other hand, "need" to sell.
Buyers control the purse strings, end of story. This doesn't mean that sellers are
somehow powerless- it merely means card values and sales, like any extravagant
collectible, start with the folks who want them (and who have the final say on whether
they will buy). Some sellers shy away from the reality of this statement, which doesn't
change it's ultimate accuracy. Many sellers are buyers themselves and understand the
reality. The ones who don't, eventually dig holes for themselves by employing pretzel
logic or "entitlement economics" while explaining their sales philosophy (you know, the
guy who buys a card for $1000 and insists he "has to get" $1500 to make it
worthwhile in a sale, or who expects a possible buyer to overpay for a certain card's
"potential", among many examples). I can smell that greed from a mile away, and
there is no clever oratory which will persuade me otherwise. Sadly, I am much more
likely to run into this type of seller on ebay, thus my preference to avoid it if possible.

Trent King
Old 05-01-2021, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
...And it defaults to 50%! That is a dirty little game the seller's "partner," eBay, is playing.