NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 05-16-2021, 09:01 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
David just because you have no humanity doesn't mean others don't. Revealing post though.
Besides, it's very inconvenient to have a world functioning suboptimally, so there's a totally selfish justification.

Edit thank you for serving and I say that with all sincerity.
I have humanity, but I'm also realistic. My vaccine card is nearly 20 years old. It has Smallpox, Polio, Tet-Dipth, Typhoid, Meningitis, Adenovirus, Plague #1, Plague #2, Rubella and a lot more that I just can't read - and some of them more than once. I don't know what most of that stuff even is. I bet you the Army still vaccinates against those same things today - 20 years later (especially for their hospital workers).

And here is where I'm realistic. A vaccine (even if 100% effective) is not going to make a pandemic end. If the Army still vaccinates against those diseases listed above, and I'm pretty sure they do, it's for one reason: they never went away. But if you (and others) want to think this pandemic is just going to go away with some magical vaccine, by all means believe that.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I have humanity, but I'm also realistic. My vaccine card is nearly 20 years old. It has Smallpox, Polio, Tet-Dipth, Typhoid, Meningitis, Adenovirus, Plague #1, Plague #2, Rubella and a lot more that I just can't read - and some of them more than once. I don't know what most of that stuff even is. I bet you the Army still vaccinates against those same things today - 20 years later (especially for their hospital workers).

And here is where I'm realistic. A vaccine (even if 100% effective) is not going to make a pandemic end. If the Army still vaccinates against those diseases listed above, and I'm pretty sure they do, it's for one reason: they never went away. But if you (and others) want to think this pandemic is just going to go away with some magical vaccine, by all means believe that.
Polio and smallpox were essentially eradicated. It can happen. Realistically it may not because too many will hold out, but it can still be greatly greatly reduced.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-16-2021 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:06 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Polio and smallpox were essentially eradicated. It can happen.
Essentially eradicated? But they do still exist, no?
Old 05-16-2021, 09:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

US has not had a polio case for 40 plus years.

As to smallpox
The last naturally occurring case of smallpox was reported in 1977. In 1980, the World Health Organization declared that smallpox had been eradicated. Currently, there is no evidence of naturally occurring smallpox transmission anywhere in the world.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-16-2021 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:12 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
US has not had a polio case for 40 plus years.
Depends on how you look at it. The US hasn't had a case originate in the US in over 40 years. But surely you know that cases have been brought into the US by foreign travelers?
Old 05-16-2021, 09:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Depends on how you look at it. The US hasn't had a case originate in the US in over 40 years. But surely you know that cases have been brought into the US by foreign travelers?
A few, yes.

Old 05-16-2021, 09:15 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
In 1980, the World Health Organization declared that smallpox had been eradicated.
In January of 2020, the World Health Origination also decarded that there was no evidence of human-to-human transmission of Covid. But if the WHO is a source for information for you, I won't argue.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
In January of 2020, the World Health Origination also decarded that there was no evidence of human-to-human transmission of Covid. But if the WHO is a source for information for you, I won't argue.

There must be some right wing organization that made the same declaration.

Old 05-16-2021, 09:26 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

And as for smallpox, do you think there could be live viruses in labs somewhere that could somehow be "let loose?"

I've also heard about somewhere (maybe it was Russia) where the tundra was thawing and they thought that it could be transmitted via frozen corpses that died a century (or more) ago as they thaw. That was a few years ago, I don't know what happened with that.
Old 05-17-2021, 04:34 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Polio and smallpox were essentially eradicated. It can happen. Realistically it may not because too many will hold out, but it can still be greatly greatly reduced.

Don't forget the flu! It's disappeared in 2021. We did it guys.

I just can't believe we've finally FOUND a cure for a virlent form of the common cold!

Science is progressing at a rapid pace

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 05-17-2021 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:22 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
You've got it all figured out Dale. Now tell me the flaws in the studies. Oh wait, science is just part of the conspiracy, damn I forgot.
I assume you are referring to peer reviewed studies where the peer, if he/she doesn't like the result because it doesn't jive with the narrative nor fit the agenda, is tossed out?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new study.jpg (21.8 KB, 134 views)
Old 05-17-2021, 08:01 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I assume you are referring to peer reviewed studies where the peer, if he/she doesn't like the result because it doesn't jive with the narrative nor fit the agenda, is tossed out?
Feel free to point out the flaws instead of spewing your BS and agenda driven soundbites. Ironically, your post is describing yourself to a tee -- because the studies don't fit YOUR narrative, you apparently reject them even though I am sure you haven't read them.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-17-2021 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:01 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Feel free to point out the flaws instead of spewing your BS and agenda driven soundbites. Ironically, your post is describing yourself to a tee -- because the studies don't fit YOUR narrative, you apparently reject them even though I am sure you haven't read them.
You do you, Peter, and I'll do me. How's that?

Eight people from the New York Yankees organization tested positive, despite having been fully vaccinated.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/14/s...t-to-know.html

Family left with questions after Brampton senior's death.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-ne...ive-days-later

Langley-area man loses 2 metres of intestine after a blood clot following his AstraZeneca jab

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...fect-1.6027830

Some healthcare workers refuse to take COVID-19 vaccine, even with priority access.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...vaccine-access

I could list dozens more, and you know that, but what's the point as I'll just be called a conspiracy theorist and a strawman arguer or whatever other names you can come up with to shame me for pointing out the other side of the story that is rarely, if ever talked about, unless you look it up for yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sheepp1.jpg (12.1 KB, 120 views)
Old 05-17-2021, 09:23 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
You do you, Peter, and I'll do me. How's that?

Eight people from the New York Yankees organization tested positive, despite having been fully vaccinated.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/14/s...t-to-know.html

Family left with questions after Brampton senior's death.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-ne...ive-days-later

Langley-area man loses 2 metres of intestine after a blood clot following his AstraZeneca jab

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...fect-1.6027830

Some healthcare workers refuse to take COVID-19 vaccine, even with priority access.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...vaccine-access

I could list dozens more, and you know that, but what's the point as I'll just be called a conspiracy theorist and a strawman arguer or whatever other names you can come up with to shame me for pointing out the other side of the story that is rarely, if ever talked about, unless you look it up for yourself.
I have never denied that there have been adverse effects. That is true of virtually all medical treatments. People bleed to death from common over the counter medications, or suffer liver damage. You, on the other hand, have denied efficacy in the face of numerous published studies. So show me the evidence that the vaccines do not have the claimed efficacy.

The question here, the value judgment, is the balance of efficacy (seriouses illness prevented and lives saved) versus adverse effects. But one can only have that discussion based on the facts and the science, not agenda.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-17-2021 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Why did you get those vaccines if you didn't know what they were or why you were getting them?

Last edited by packs; 05-17-2021 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:02 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Why did you get those vaccines if you didn't know what they were or why you were getting them?
I was a soldier. I wasn't given an option. I did what I was told to do and didn't give it any thought at the time. Besides, most of those (if not all) I'd already had as a kid anyway.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:26 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Are sheep just woolves in disguise?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:30 AM
Peter Spaeth

PS I think the other side of the equation absolutely should be discussed. I have no issue with that. What I have an issue with is distorting and denying the positive side.

We make the same judgments about many things in life. We know that X number of people are going to die or be seriously injured in car accidents every year. So do we ban driving?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-17-2021 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:30 AM
Al Richter

Great Frank. Something else for me to worry about
Old 05-17-2021, 10:21 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

This thread is approaching ‘Kevin Mize BST post’ territory for number of posts with no resolution, and I don’t think anyone is going to change their mind based off what they read in a baseball card forum.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:25 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
This thread is approaching ‘Kevin Mize BST post’ territory for number of posts with no resolution, and I don’t think anyone is going to change their mind based off what they read in a baseball card forum.
I agree, minds aren't going to be changed.

As far as a resolution, I think the best resolution is for everyone to worry about themselves and not what others are doing. Do what you think is right for you.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:29 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
Thanks for the many inquiries, still available...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-