NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-09-2021, 09:38 AM
Marc

I say it is purple, the color of kings....

Does anyone know if these are part of a series (other teams with similar designs), or a one-off for the 49ers. Interesting that the two red ones are a bit shorter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Miner purple.jpg (80.0 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg 49ers miner colors.jpg (78.2 KB, 306 views)

Last edited by bocca001; 06-09-2021 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:51 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Love the off-color ones the best. Those purple and blue versions are off the charts cool.

Mine is the typical red with grey/silver graphics. Nice pickup!
Old 06-09-2021, 11:36 AM
Rob

Haha...Looks brown to me.

These Rams look like they could be part of that series. Same maker any way. Same fat spine, skinny tassels and came in unusual colors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rams 10.jpg (52.0 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg Rams 7.jpg (45.9 KB, 299 views)
Old 06-09-2021, 01:38 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Yes...He's got one in the most appropriate color for the stinking Niners...BROWN.
My dad went to an Ivy League school…Penn….he told me they used to chant “what’s the color of horseshit? Brown, Brown, Brown!”
Old 06-09-2021, 01:51 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
My dad went to an Ivy League school…Penn….he told me they used to chant “what’s the color of horseshit? Brown, Brown, Brown!”
LOL...Brutal.
Old 06-10-2021, 08:03 AM
Rick

Been pretty quiet for me lately on the Dodger pennant acquisition front but managed to pick this one up. Looks pretty ordinary, but I think it is somewhat unique. Interesting construction in that the lettering and spine are both flocked with the tassels sewn directly onto the fabric. Also each tassel is just one piece looped. I don't have any other flocked pennants, and I like how the flocking has kept the lettering from cracking. I spoke to Kyle about it, and he has some thoughts on who the manufacturer may have been, but I'll let him share that info if he chooses. Anyone else have or seen this one?

Rick

1958 parade 3.jpg
1958 parade 2 reduced.jpg
Old 06-10-2021, 12:04 PM
Rob

Those flocking D**gers.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:43 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Those flocking D**gers.
He kinda sat that one on a tee for you. 🤣
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 06-10-2021, 02:56 PM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
He kinda sat that one on a tee for you. 🤣
Yeah, but I set him up with a 120 yard par 3 hole, and he hit the Driver!
Old 06-10-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
I spoke to Kyle about it, and he has some thoughts on who the manufacturer may have been, but I'll let him share that info if he chooses. Anyone else have or seen this one?

Rick

Attachment 463303
Attachment 463304
My guess is this Dodgers pennant was made by Pacific Athletic Co., based in Gardena, CA. They made a lot of Pac 8 pennants around the mid-century mark; and, most notably, they were one of the few pennant makers still using flocked graphics by that time.

Pacific was eventually acquired by Collegiate Mfg. Co. (of Ames). Collegiate, you may recall, also had a brief foray into the baseball pennant market when they issued their 3-D pennant series for the Brooklyn Dodgers, NY Giants, Yankees, and Red Sox. These pennants too were flocked.

I suspect Rick's pennant was a one-off and not part of a bigger series. But if a similar looking Giant pennant with flocked graphics exists, I'll betcha Rob owns it.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:40 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post

I suspect Rick's pennant was a one-off and not part of a bigger series. But if a similar looking Giant pennant with flocked graphics exists, I'll betcha Rob owns it.
I have nothing like that.

Just picked up this ZERO EYE APPEAL pennant. It was cheap ($60) and I own nothing with that particular graphic. I'll stash it away and never look at it again . Do you guys have pennants with that same graphic?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-06-11 03.14.09.jpg (83.9 KB, 263 views)
Old 06-11-2021, 02:49 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:

Just picked up this ZERO EYE APPEAL pennant. It was cheap ($60) and I own nothing with that particular graphic. I'll stash it away and never look at it again . Do you guys have pennants with that same graphic?
Different graphic but a companion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCDB4ED3-1912-4805-A9B5-861ADACAE892.jpg (14.4 KB, 265 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Old 06-11-2021, 05:16 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Both of these are very cool ... Rob you gotta display that baby. 85 years old!!!
Old 06-11-2021, 05:19 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
My guess is this Dodgers pennant was made by Pacific Athletic Co., based in Gardena, CA. They made a lot of Pac 8 pennants around the mid-century mark; and, most notably, they were one of the few pennant makers still using flocked graphics by that time.

Pacific was eventually acquired by Collegiate Mfg. Co. (of Ames). Collegiate, you may recall, also had a brief foray into the baseball pennant market when they issued their 3-D pennant series for the Brooklyn Dodgers, NY Giants, Yankees, and Red Sox. These pennants too were flocked.

The interesting thing about my Collegiate Giants and Yankees is that the flocked graphics seem to have paint underneath. It cracks.
Old 06-11-2021, 06:29 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Both of those are very nice, IMHO...

Look at all the colors in the Yankees version. The silk screener must have developed carpel tunnel syndrome with all of those repeated screenings. A very ambitious creation!
Old 06-11-2021, 06:30 PM
Rob

Quote:

I think you're too harsh on that one Rob. It appealed to me...but then I have to keep reminding myself I don't collect baseball pennants.

For $60 that's a win all day long IMO.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:02 PM
Rob

Quote:
I think you're too harsh on that one Rob. It appealed to me...but then I have to keep reminding myself I don't collect baseball pennants.

For $60 that's a win all day long IMO.
It’s ugly, believe me. I can’t quite make out the graphics on Mike’s pennant. Is the batter jumping?
Old 06-11-2021, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Do either of these pennants have a Charles Shear label on the reverse?

Either way, I believe these are among some of the earliest baseball pennants by Trench.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:17 PM
Rob

Quote:

Either way, I believe these are among some of the earliest baseball pennants by Trench.
Not mine.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:55 AM
Mike Kendall

Quote:

I don’t know about the Yankee pennant as I don’t own it. I do own this one however and it does have a Shear label. I have always believed it is from 1938 even though most put it at 1945.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B3215FBA-B009-4DA5-B628-87555002FCAD.jpg (20.9 KB, 254 views)

Old 06-12-2021, 09:55 AM

FWIW Mike, I think yours is from 1945. That artwork represents the later evolution of the artwork seen on on Rob's pennant, from the previous decade. Which is similar in appearance; but different.

All three were by Trench, best I can tell.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:39 PM

Default Chicago cubs

Here’s an oldie I got a little bit ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 078A6985-D37F-4FB9-80EA-3D803194408D.jpg (20.8 KB, 238 views)
Old 06-13-2021, 08:27 AM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
The interesting thing about my Collegiate Giants and Yankees is that the flocked graphics seem to have paint underneath. It cracks.
I'm by no means a pennant expert and can't explain why yours has cracks and mine doesn't. Here is a close-up of the lettering on my pennant.
1958 parade reduced letter.jpg
Old 06-13-2021, 10:12 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
I'm by no means a pennant expert and can't explain why yours has cracks and mine doesn't. Here is a close-up of the lettering on my pennant.
Attachment 463807
Flock the D**gers!!
Old 06-13-2021, 12:55 PM
Randy Capel

Default 57 Milwaukee Braves World Series Pennant

I have seen this pennant in several threads and online resources. It is not listed in Mike Enger's book (2013 version). The field of the pennant is gray.

I have the same pennant but the field is red. I cannot find a description of that at all. Any info would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Braves pennant.JPG (25.6 KB, 231 views)
Old 06-13-2021, 01:04 PM
Randy Capel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBeef View Post
I have seen this pennant in several threads and online resources. It is not listed in Mike Enger's book (2013 version). The field of the pennant is gray.

I have the same pennant but the field is red. I cannot find a description of that at all. Any info would be appreciated.
Here is a picture of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Braves pennant 2.JPG (12.2 KB, 236 views)
Old 06-13-2021, 01:57 PM
Rob

Quote:
Here is a picture of mine.
Stand by, Chief....there are several guys who can tell you all about your pennant.
Old 06-13-2021, 02:14 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:

Is that one really missing from Egner's Guide? Hard to believe, as it's not that rare.

Anyway, the gray body of that pennant was once blue. You can count on it... that pennant was never originally made in gray (guaranteed). This type of blue fabric (very prevalent among 1950s-60s Dodgers Pennants) was very prone to fading, and it's actually pretty rare to find an example that's retained all of its original blue color.

Nice pennant.
Old 06-13-2021, 06:32 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
I don’t know about the Yankee pennant as I don’t own it. I do own this one however and it does have a Shear label. I have always believed it is from 1938 even though most put it at 1945.
Mike,
I have posted this before, but this group and artwork version was reportedly all purchased together at the 1938 World Series. I too believe it is from 1945.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1938YankeesPennant.jpg (73.1 KB, 233 views)
Old 06-15-2021, 03:50 PM
Rob

As I had to tell my wife, "No, I'm not going to start collecting OU pennants."

OU (aka Harvard on the Hocking [river]) is my alma mater. I noticed pennantdynasty (good guy; forget his name) had this pennant listed as "1960's" and was asking $85. I thought to myself, "Self, I wonder what other OU stuff is out there?" I got this from another seller for $28. It's stiffer felt but doesn't seem like the ultra-modern crap. The OU green is spot on.

OU doesn't have much of a football history. These days, you can catch them on ESPN on Tuesdays or Wednesdays because the MAC sold their soul to the devil in order to get on TV. They are coached by Frank Solich (ex-Nebraska coach who they fired and have been sh*t ever since). OU sent Gary Trent to the NBA. His kid is now in the NBA. OU baseball produced Bob Brenly (lived down the hall from me in my freshman dorm) and Michael Jack Schmidt.

What do you guys think about age? Maker?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-06-15 03.21.34.jpg (81.4 KB, 205 views)
Old 06-15-2021, 04:50 PM
Rob

Cool pennant...WGN...Late 60's early 70s. Domer can correct my guesses.

There must've been a warehouse find of college football pennants at some point as nearly every one you find from that time period is in mint condition.

***Edit to add...And they seem to sell for less than you'd think.***

Last edited by Fballguy; 06-15-2021 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:28 PM
Rob

Quote:
Cool pennant...WGN...Late 60's early 70s. Domer can correct my guesses.

There must've been a warehouse find of college football pennants at some point as nearly every one you find from that time period is in mint condition.

***Edit to add...And they seem to sell for less than you'd think.***
Yeah, this one is pretty mint. One thing that makes me think it might be vintage is that the spine over-extended at the bottom. I cut it off.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:57 PM
Marc

Rare for me to find a Santa Clara pennant that I have never seen, but this one showed up on ebay last week. It's Chicago Pennant Co, with a flocked Bronco graphic. Really nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCU Chipenco flocked Bronco.jpg (36.7 KB, 267 views)
Old 06-15-2021, 09:01 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Rare for me to find a Santa Clara pennant that I have never seen, but this one showed up on ebay last week. It's Chicago Pennant Co, with a flocked Bronco graphic. Really nice.
That's a beauty Marc. Nice score.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:11 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post

Wow - huge score! Happy you found one you didn’t have. Once you display it, I hope to see updated photos!
Old 06-16-2021, 12:02 AM

Quote:
What do you guys think about age? Maker?
WGN, all the way.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:41 AM
Rob

Great find, Marc! Do you have competition for Santa Clara pennants?
Old 06-16-2021, 06:52 AM
Marc

Thanks, guys. I have some competition for Santa Clara items, but I think it is a pretty small group of collectors. Most specialize a bit more broadly in groups of schools (e.g., Stanford/Cal/Santa Clara).
Old 06-16-2021, 01:50 PM
Rob

$349 is a little steep for this pennant. Maybe he'll give it to me for half off?

https://ebay.us/laCcd8
Old 06-16-2021, 05:21 PM
Rob

Quote:
$349 is a little steep for this pennant. Maybe he'll give it to me for half off?

https://ebay.us/laCcd8
Get half off the $15.20 shipping, too!
Old 06-20-2021, 11:37 PM

Looking for any insight on this pennant. Age, maker, even what sport it’s for? Buffalo has had many franchises with the Bisons name over the years( Baseball, hockey, football, et al)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2021, 07:06 AM
Rob

I was bidding on it as if it was football primarily because I've only ever seen a "Bisons" football pennant from that era (1940s). But it could be Minor League Baseball, Professional Basketball or Professional Hockey as well.

Being 3/4 size and given the price it sold for, I suspect that someone knows for sure or at least feels it is most likely NOT the football team...thus making it even more rare.

I guess that's the beauty of this one...it can be whatever you want it to be.

Last edited by Fballguy; 06-21-2021 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I was bidding on it as if it was football primarily because I've only ever seen a "Bisons" football pennant from that era (1940s). But it could be Minor League Baseball, Professional Basketball or Professional Hockey as well.

Being 3/4 size and given the price it sold for, I suspect that someone knows for sure or at least feels it is most likely NOT the football team...thus making it even more rare.

I guess that's the beauty of this one...it can be whatever you want it to be.

I would have guessed the AAFC Bisons as well. Colors and style look a lot like the Bisons/Bills pennants I’ve seen from that era.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2021, 12:51 PM
Drew

Hello, all. I'm a new joiner and have loved reading through all the posts - highly informative!

I picked up the attached ND pennant this past weekend - believed to be from their first Championship in 1924.

Two questions:
1) Has anyone seen any other examples of this pennant or other 1924 ND championship pennants?

2) Any way to confirm 1924 on this one (i.e., rule out 1929/1930 championships)? Pennant is from Chicago Pennant Co at 41" long (w/out tassels) and 14" wide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ND pennant.jpg (78.6 KB, 151 views)
Old 06-22-2021, 12:56 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc1917 View Post
Hello, all. I'm a new joiner and have loved reading through all the posts - highly informative!

I picked up the attached ND pennant this past weekend - believed to be from their first Championship in 1924.

Two questions:
1) Has anyone seen any other examples of this pennant or other 1924 ND championship pennants?

2) Any way to confirm 1924 on this one (i.e., rule out 1929/1930 championships)? Pennant is from Chicago Pennant Co at 41" long (w/out tassels) and 14" wide.
Great pennant! It’s the real deal but I couldn’t date it for you.

Domer may be able to help. He’s well versed in all the makers and a ND guy, as well.
Old 06-22-2021, 09:55 PM
Marc

Great pennant. I'm not an expert on the topic, but I wonder when teams started using the term "National Champions"? Did they use it as early as 1924? They might have.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:24 AM

Quote:

Two questions:

Dc1917: HO-LY-SHeeeeeeeeeeet!

Never seen that pennant before. And, yes, I believe there's good evidence this was made to commemorate the '24 team--not the '29 or '30 National Championship winning teams ... or the '43, '46, '47 or '49 teams; or the '66, '73, or '77 champs. Or the '88 team. Definitely not any of these teams.

Lots of championships = lots of confusion. That's the problem with winning all the time, right?

Seriously, it's from 1924. We know because the label used (label #6, on my BLOG) was only in use for a limited window: roughly 1924-27. Chipen'co switched to a whole new label at the end of the 1920s, so we can say with confidence this isn't from that era. See: https://pennantfever.weebly.com/blog...ago-pennant-co

I wondered when the term "National Champions" first came into vogue; and whether it was commonly in use by the mid-1920s. It was! In fact, there's one other Notre Dame pennant, that I know of, that features the term and the year 1924 on it. I've never actually seen it, so who knows if any exist today, but I do believe it was made. You can read all about it, and my attempt to reproduce it, here: https://pennantfever.weebly.com/blog...ago-pennant-co

Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the thread!
Old 06-23-2021, 10:33 AM
Drew

Awesome, appreciate the info! And Domer, your blog is phenomenal - astonishing how much knowledge is captured there. Thanks for sharing.

I have a relatively extensive collection of ND pennants and a few miscellaneous. Nothing as noteworthy as my "newer" one, but I'll aim to share some other photos in the coming days.

Last edited by Dc1917; 06-23-2021 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:39 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Congrats on snagging the ND Pennant. It's definitely from 1924. Great score!
Old 06-23-2021, 01:43 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:

Two questions:

Congratulations on this incredible find. Truly a gem. Just my opinion, but if it were me, I would definitely have this professionally framed. It is certainly deserving. If you do, make sure and take a photo of the tag on the back as a reminder.