NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-10-2021, 09:22 AM

Default Is it safe to buy an altered card ?

In this case a SGC 52T Mantle that looks good and slabbed Authentic and altered.
Price of 30k. Is the card authentic ? Seller says SGC said top corner appeared glued. He was going to break it out and send to PSA to try for a grade before all the back up.
Your thoughts please.
Thanks.

Last edited by larietrope; 07-10-2021 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:28 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Is it dangerous?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:00 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I really don’t understand the question here, nor do I understand why it needs to be sent to PSA. Are you both hoping with enough tries someone will not notice it’s altered?

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:16 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Skeptical, as that card valie service would avoid the backup at psa. Card would likely be back in hand within the week. Seems rather costly for an altered copy. Who knows these days

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 07-10-2021, 10:41 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by larietrope View Post
In this case a SGC 52T Mantle that looks good and slabbed Authentic and altered.
Price of 30k. Is the card authentic ? Seller says SGC said top corner appeared glued. He was going to break it out and send to PSA to try for a grade before all the back up.
Your thoughts please.
Thanks.
Whereas it concerns sports cards, I think making $30,000 purchase decisions without so much as a single photo is a fool's errand.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 07-10-2021, 01:40 PM

Default dangerous

Meaning will I have remorse if I buy an altered card for that price. If I had all the answers I would not have asked the questions.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:48 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Meaning will I have remorse if I buy an altered card for that price. If I had all the answers I would not have asked the questions.
That's a question ONLY YOU CAN ANSWER though. You seem to post a lot of those. That's the frustrating part. We shouldn't tell you what to do. You should figure out what you like.

If you know it's altered when you buy it, I don't think you'll somehow wish you bought an ugly PSA 1.5 instead. The main issue with buying a card and later finding out it's altered is that now it's on you to either sell the card honestly as altered, by getting it into an AUTHENTIC ALTERED holder and forcing PSA to pay out on their Grade Guarantee. That's stressful, and PSA could just tell you it's not altered and they don't owe you shit. They've done that about 10 times so far (that we know of) on cards valued $5K - $100K in the past year.

If you buy an altered card now, you know it's altered. You're never going to get surprised in the future that it's altered. You can just enjoy it for what it is.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:49 PM
pete ullman

can we please see the card
Old 07-10-2021, 02:10 PM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Is it dangerous?
Is it safe?
Old 07-10-2021, 02:26 PM
J@mes In.gram

I know I am most certainly in the minority on this net54 forum, but baseball cards comes down to two types of people:

Investors - who love to go on and on on about PSA, PWCC, SGC, etc., until I can't take it anymore. When this clique gets in full swing, you cannot get a word in, you either get ignored or shut down with some offhand remark, and then the intense discussion continues. There is no hobby to these people. Stop pretending.

Card Collectors - who are in it for the pure joy of collecting, and who couldn't give a flying $#@! about graded cards.
Old 07-10-2021, 02:43 PM

Default Well said

Thanks. Seems no end to people who thrive on being negative.
Old 07-10-2021, 03:54 PM
Chris Counts

I understand why some would be wary of buying an altered card, but there are clearly thousands of trimmed cards in holders with high grades. I settled the issue for myself years ago when I decided to a) avoid graded cards with high grades, and b) made my peace with trimmed cards. Now my collection is full of them, and I'm totally fine with it.
Old 07-10-2021, 04:07 PM
James M.

the card very well may be Authentic, but while you no doubt have to pay a premium for the 52 Mantle, especially in this market, I do not think 30K is a good deal, nor is it something to be spent lightly. If your committing that much to a Card, then might as well go a few thousand more for something that isn't altered.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 07-10-2021, 04:57 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
the card very well may be Authentic, but while you no doubt have to pay a premium for the 52 Mantle, especially in this market, I do not think 30K is a good deal, nor is it something to be spent lightly. If your committing that much to a Card, then might as well go a few thousand more for something that isn't altered.
I agree. Thirty thousand seems like a lot of money for a card that is altered. That is way more than I could ever spend on a single card, but I would have buyer's remorse for a lot less than $30K.

Last edited by Bored5000; 07-10-2021 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:30 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
can we please see the card
A picture would be very helpful

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-12-2021, 01:50 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

I buy altered cards for ones that would be way out of my price range otherwise. Im a collector and not an investor tho
Old 07-12-2021, 02:02 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post

THAT's what I'm talking about!

"Life can be that simple...relief, or discomfort...take your time. Is it safe?"
Old 07-12-2021, 02:08 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

No. It will smother you in your sleep.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:14 PM
Chris

I owned an SGC Altered 52 Topps Mantle for a while. I enjoyed it and was sad to see it go, although not as sad as I am now hearing that some are selling for $30,000.

I see nothing wrong with buying altered cards if you know they are altered so long as you are okay with knowing your card has been altered. You can get a nicer looking card for a bit of a discount when you go that route.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:39 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I know nothing about the sale or seller or other "extracurriculars". However, if it's graded as authentic/altered by SGC or PSA, there is no danger. PSA and SGC are reliable for identifying the card as authentic, and, obviously, it's not overgraded.

As noted, if photos were posted here, you would get more specific commentary.

Last edited by drcy; 07-12-2021 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-12-2021, 03:23 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
If you are potentially second guessing the purchase at this point, then trust your instincts and pass on it. Put that money towards a card you have no doubts or reservations about. Pretty sure you will enjoy that card more than questioning the altered one.

Cheers,
Old 07-12-2021, 04:06 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
I do not know. That's a personal psychological thing and only time will tell for you. I'm not a fan of (correctly labeled as) altered cards, but others own them and have no regrets. But the practical key is that when you buy it you know what you are getting and pay a fair market price. If you have psychological remorse you can sell it. Obviously, the biggest problem would be if you find it's altered only after you buy it, and/or you overpaid and lose money at resale.

Many items you don't know really know what you think of owning it until you own it. You gotta have it in hand and have it for a while.

Last edited by drcy; 07-12-2021 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:43 PM
Frank Wakefield

Ok...

Is it safe? No, it's out.

With that outa the way... It depends on the purpose of buying the card. Do you want it for your collection? Are there other cards in your collection that you know are altered to a similar degree? If so, then maybe it's safe for you.

But if you're buying it as something that you're gonna turn around and sell, then it's not safe. Buy some Clemente rookie cards, or a few white border Cobbs, or a Wagner, Mathewson or Jackson Cracker Jack. Then, at some point, give some thought to what are sound investments (an education, a home, stocks, bonds, mutual funds and my favorite if you're young-- buy a few acres and plant hardwood trees like walnut or cherry, then make sure rabbits and such don't nibble them down to nothing the first few years, water them the first few years, and then sell them in about 35 years). Baseball cards aren't sound investments. Neither are other hyped sports cards, memorabilia, NFTs, and the like. They are far from safe.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:34 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I do not know. That's a personal psychological thing and only time will tell for you. I'm not a fan of (correctly labeled as) altered cards, but others own them and have no regrets. But the practical key is that when you buy it you know what you are getting and pay a fair market price. If you have psychological remorse you can sell it. Obviously, the biggest problem would be if you find it's altered only after you buy it, and/or you overpaid and lose money at resale.

Many items you don't know really know what you think of owning it until you own it. You gotta have it in hand and have it for a while.
It's not my cup of tea. But Ken Kendrick seems to be ok with his...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gretzky wagner.jpg (49.9 KB, 85 views)