NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-20-2021, 09:11 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigecollectibles View Post
I think they are all from 1947
Tsuneo Mitomi 三富恒雄 - Stars
Michio Shigematsu 重松通雄 - Stars
Kozo Naito 内藤幸三 - Stars
Thank you! The person who saved the cards pasted them in largely according to teams, so that definitely helps me in identifying them. Of course, the Giants make up half the album, but those are at the end....
Old 09-20-2021, 10:29 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Page 2 is a little tougher (for me). The upper right card is Kozo Naito on the team Gold Star. Gold Star was one of the early post-war teams, founded in 1946. In fact, 1946 was the only season the team was known as Gold Star, as it subsequently became the Kinsei Stars and eventually Daiei Stars.

The other cards are tougher for me to identify, as I'm having a hard time with the names. I've attached some closeups in case Robert or anyone else is kind enough to translate for me.

Thanks!

Iijima - Naito
Kiyohara - Iijima
Kiyohara - Kumagami
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 2.jpg (81.4 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide Page 2 TL.jpg (77.7 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 2 CL.jpg (76.2 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 2 BL.jpg (76.1 KB, 367 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 2 BR.jpg (76.2 KB, 367 views)

Last edited by Frankish; 10-05-2021 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:51 AM
Robert Klevens

Top row:
Takehiko Kumagami (熊耳武彦) and Kozo Naito (内藤幸三)

Middle row:
Hatsuo Kiyohara (清原初男) and Shigeya Iijima (飯島滋弥)

Bottom row:
Hatsuo Kiyohara (清原初男) and Takehiko Kumagami (熊耳武彦)
Old 09-20-2021, 01:22 PM

I don't have anything to add, but those are wonderful bromides. I especially like the flyers card with the embellishments.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:03 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Default Page 3

Thanks, Nat. I really like that one, too. There are a few similar ones later on in the collection. Someone really put together a nice bromide album and I was just lucky enough to find it.

And thank you, Robert, as always! It would have taken me weeks at least to figure those out!

Page 3 of the album sports a couple of really cool cards. The upper left card is the only card I've ever seen of the 1946 Gold Star team (the only year the team had that name), bromide or menko. I'm sure there are others but not that I've come across. Next to that is what looks like the 1948 Kinsei Stars team card (although possibly 1947...I am researching uniforms now).

The center card looks like Sadayohi Fujimoto in his role as Stars manager in 1948.

The other four cards are a mystery to me. The far right cards in the center and bottom rows are the same player, but I don't recognize the spelling of his name (I read Shimosha, but that doesn't seem right). The left cards on those same rows have no name listed. They might remain a mystery unless someone recognizes the players anyway....

Kinsei Stars (Goldstar image) 1947 - Kinsei team
S. Fujimoto - Shimoyashiro
Kato - Shimoyashiro
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 3.jpg (80.4 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 3 MR.jpg (75.1 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 3 BR.jpg (74.7 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 3 ML.jpg (77.8 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 3 BL.jpg (78.0 KB, 334 views)

Last edited by Frankish; 10-05-2021 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:32 AM
Robert Klevens

The team in the upper left says Kinsei Stars 金星スターズ and the one to the write just says 金星 Kinsei.
1946 Gold Star was written in katakana as ゴールドスター

The card in the middle is HOF manager Sadayoshi Fujimoto. The player with two cards is Kunio Shimoyashiro 下社邦男. He played for the Stars only in 1948.

I don't know who the other two players are.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:05 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigecollectibles View Post
The team in the upper left says Kinsei Stars 金星スターズ and the one to the write just says 金星 Kinsei.
1946 Gold Star was written in katakana as ゴールドスター

The card in the middle is HOF manager Sadayoshi Fujimoto. The player with two cards is Kunio Shimoyashiro 下社邦男. He played for the Stars only in 1948.
Robert, Thank you!!!

That is interesting about Gold Star only being written in katakana. 金 always throws me a little, as it makes me think of gold. I took my guess based on the uniforms and particularly the caps, which looked like the 1946 ones to me (more detailed photos attached, just for fun). But I'm glad to have better info now.

And I wasn't familiar with Shimoyashiro. Shimosha was close, but not that close....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 3 team 2.jpg (80.3 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg Bromide page 3 Team 1.jpg (75.3 KB, 330 views)

Tags
bromide, japanese, kawakami, menko, starffin