NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-06-2022, 06:29 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
From the seller's item description, certain parts bolded by me for emphasis (and I left the sellers' typos as-is):

"RETURN POLICY: My opinion of grade is exactly that..My opinion.. I do not warrnt or in any way represent what grade a third party grading company will assign....I do, however, warrant that all my cards are authentic and unaltered, and will receive a numeric grade if sent in to a reputable grading company. If any card purchased does not receive a numeric grade, I will issue a full refund as well as a $100 rembursement in the unlikely event a card is deemed altered or not authentic.. Best guarantee in the business..You are more thn welcome to return card within 3 days of receipt. However, once sent in for grading, all sales are final, regardless of grade...."
I was wondering if it had anything to do with the listing having a best offer option so that even though the initial starting bid was over the Ebay authentication threshold amount, it could still go and be sold for under the threshold. Just a pure guess on my part.
Old 04-06-2022, 06:36 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I was wondering if it had anything to do with the listing having a best offer option so that even though the initial starting bid was over the Ebay authentication threshold amount, it could still go and be sold for under the threshold. Just a pure guess on my part.
That's possible. However, I was commenting on the seller's contradictory return policy:

If you send in the card and it doesn't receive a numeric grade, they will issue a refund.

However, once you send the card for grading, all sales are final...regardless of grade.

Clear as mud, no?

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 04-06-2022, 06:40 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
That's possible. However, I was commenting on the seller's contradictory return policy:

If you send in the card and it doesn't receive a numeric grade, they will issue a refund.

However, once you send the card for grading, all sales are final...regardless of grade.

Clear as mud, no?
Yup, good point Eric. LOL
Old 04-06-2022, 07:06 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:

Clear as mud, no?
I didn't think the seller's return policy had anything to do with requiring the authentication process to be required. My understanding was any card selling over a certain price (I think $500 currently) had to be authenticated.

Bob's comment about the Best Offer option being there to get around it also doesn't seem to make sense since there should be an easy way to set things up to require authentication based on the listed price but then remove it if the selling price went below the threshold. Otherwise, that seems like a real easy way to get around the authentication.
Old 04-06-2022, 08:05 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
I didn't think the seller's return policy had anything to do with requiring the authentication process to be required...
Oh, I agree. I was just commenting on something asinine in the listing. Leaving aside the eBay authentication for a moment, it would give some prospective buyers a moment of pause and/or a reason to seek clarification from the seller.

Didn't mean to derail the thread. Carry on.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 04-06-2022, 08:09 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch-Hitter View Post
And not just that card, didn’t see it applicable to any of his other listings either. Didn’t see a single off-center 50s-60s topps card.

Maybe because cigar box is in the title?
Maybe this is the reason. Could having box in the title make it appear to be more than a single card so authentication is not required? If so, seems like eBay could do a better job than that at identifying single cards compared to listings with multiple cards.
Old 04-06-2022, 11:34 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Maybe this is the reason. Could having box in the title make it appear to be more than a single card so authentication is not required? If so, seems like eBay could do a better job than that at identifying single cards compared to listings with multiple cards.
Don't disagree. As I previously stated, my comment was a pure guess on my part.

Last edited by BobC; 04-06-2022 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 11:42 PM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

Quote:
Any thoughts as to why this listing doesn't indicate it will go through authentication? I thought it was now required for cards above $500.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26563221407...AAAOSwcpViTVBs

Seems like they are trying to skirt the rules. They seller knows and it probably sees it as a lot rather than a single card. Probably worried about it going through authentication and not passing I suspect.
Old 04-07-2022, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Any thoughts as to why this listing doesn't indicate it will go through authentication? I thought it was now required for cards above $500.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26563221407...AAAOSwcpViTVBs
This seller has been discussed earlier this year on the forum:

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?p=2182085

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 04-07-2022 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-07-2022, 03:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

I just received an authenticated card but contrary to the insert, no sticker or QR code on the back of the cardsaver.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-07-2022, 04:04 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I just received an authenticated card but contrary to the insert, no sticker or QR code on the back of the cardsaver.
That defeats the whole purpose of the program, no?

I wonder how common this is.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 04-07-2022, 04:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
That defeats the whole purpose of the program, no?

I wonder how common this is.
It's pretty funny actually.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-07-2022, 11:19 PM
N.ate A.dams

First - I admit I haven't read everyone's responses here - so I apologize if I am being pointlessly redundant, but this seems like it's an absolutely horrible idea. I do agree with it in reference to trying to protect prospective entrants into the industry - but feel this may provide more professional fraud opportunities, utilizing eBay as a shield.

I sent a card a couple months ago, and realized it was being shipped to some completely different address for authentication.

Here is one of my main worries - it's only going to increase fraud with regard to the alteration of cards, and then eBay will have to deal with that - which they won't.

If eBay is only authenticating, then what will stop people from utilizing eBay as an intermediary to "unknowingly" commit fraud by trimming a card and calling it "NM-MT+ or better!" - it then gets "authenticated" and confirmed as an authentic card. Will contracted entity (CSG) be charged with determining if the card has been altered as well, or just authenticity? If they are, then essentially they are 95% the way towards grading the card too. What happens if the card is then submitted to SGC, PSA, or heck, CSG, and it comes back "Authentic, but altered".

Last edited by npa589; 04-07-2022 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-07-2022, 11:26 PM
N.ate A.dams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Thanks Bob, did not know they had already set one up. Figured they would though. If there's anyone that looks like they can possibly give PSA a run for their money, it's them. But to do that, they know they'd eventually need a registry to compete. Their hooking up with Ebay as its new card authentication provider is a huge plus for them. And if that program works out well, I can see in the future where they may just expand their service so that if someone who buys a raw card off Ebay wants, they may not just authenticate it, but grade and slab it for the new owner as well. That would at least save the new owner some time, by them not having to wait for the arrival of their new card so they can turn around and send it right back out to a different TPG for grading. Their raw card purchased off Ebay will show up in their mailbox fully graded already. And they'd also save on postage by not having to send their newly purchased card back and forth to a different TPG for grading. You never know.

Completely agree regarding the registry. It's baffling to me that SGC hasn't gone all-in on a registry. It is 100% what allowed PSA to just get out to what may be an insurmountable lead. Competition wins - always.
Old 04-08-2022, 04:35 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by npa589 View Post
First - I admit I haven't read everyone's responses here - so I apologize if I am being pointlessly redundant, but this seems like it's an absolutely horrible idea. I do agree with it in reference to trying to protect prospective entrants into the industry - but feel this may provide more professional fraud opportunities, utilizing eBay as a shield.

I sent a card a couple months ago, and realized it was being shipped to some completely different address for authentication.

Here is one of my main worries - it's only going to increase fraud with regard to the alteration of cards, and then eBay will have to deal with that - which they won't.

If eBay is only authenticating, then what will stop people from utilizing eBay as an intermediary to "unknowingly" commit fraud by trimming a card and calling it "NM-MT+ or better!" - it then gets "authenticated" and confirmed as an authentic card. Will contracted entity (CSG) be charged with determining if the card has been altered as well, or just authenticity? If they are, then essentially they are 95% the way towards grading the card too. What happens if the card is then submitted to SGC, PSA, or heck, CSG, and it comes back "Authentic, but altered".
I thought that part of the process was to determine if the card has been altered, but it doesn't explicitly say that if you read all the information provided on eBay. Also, the price is now down to cards that sell for $350 and higher. Some info from the FAQs on eBay is below.

What happens at the authenticator?
After the authentication facility receives the card, the authenticator first confirms the item and collateral materials are consistent with the listing title, description, and images. Then they will perform a multi-point authentication inspection. Finally, the card will receive a tamper-proof sticker sealing the packaging and certifying that the card is authentic. The card also receives a QR code. Scan it with your mobile device to learn more about your card’s authentication journey.

What if the item does not pass inspection?
If the authenticator cannot verify the item’s authenticity or if the item is not consistent with its listing, you will be issued a full refund to your original payment method.
Old 04-08-2022, 05:25 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Yes, they are verifying the card is unaltered, to the best of their ability. They are also confirming it matches the listing description. So if the card is listed as NM-MT+ and it's trimmed or lower grade and CSG notices it, they'll reject the sale. I've seen it happen as posted on a couple of different message boards.

Some people who bought would still like the card, even if CSG thinks it's only NM. Some people would like rare cards even if they're altered, depending on what they paid. But in order to streamline their process, they don't contact the buyer with their findings, just cancel the sale unilaterally.

But then, no authenticator is perfect, and some still get "authenticated" even though the year of the card in the listing is 15 years away from accurate.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.