NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-28-2022, 07:24 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
For me the Best way to use as a retirement hedge/side/retirement is try to stick with cards under 5,000 for ease of liquidity in selling for cash. Many can pull that off at a big show, higher then that they won’t spend at shows unless the National. Do you want multiple big checks coming in from auction houses ? I don’t. I wanna sell for cash at shows when retirement comes.
Please clarify your preference for cash sales over big checks from auction houses. What is the difference between $5K in cash or $5k in checks?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-28-2022, 07:48 AM
octavio ranzola

the new beckett vintage prices for star cards are insane .i mean crazy
Old 04-28-2022, 07:56 AM
E. Angyal

Default The key word is “crazy”

And its my recent experience that there are some really crazy people in the hobby these days.

Angyale
Old 04-30-2022, 05:12 AM
John Spano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angyale View Post
And its my recent experience that there are some really crazy people in the hobby these days.

Angyale

This definitely has to be factored into the equation.
Old 04-28-2022, 07:53 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Please clarify your preference for cash sales over big checks from auction houses. What is the difference between $5K in cash or $5k in checks?
I prefer cash for the purchasing power it gives me via private sales in person from collectors or at shows from dealers. Over the years it’s been one of the only few ways I’ve been able to purchase big collections or single cards from private collectors. They want cash.
Old 04-28-2022, 08:37 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
I prefer cash for the purchasing power it gives me via private sales in person from collectors or at shows from dealers. Over the years it’s been one of the only few ways I’ve been able to purchase big collections or single cards from private collectors. They want cash.
translation...no one likes/wants to pay taxes!
Old 04-28-2022, 09:01 AM
Chris Eberhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
or little buyer recourse, or no bad checks.
Old 04-28-2022, 11:09 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Bingo!!!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2022, 12:06 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

How does one balance the feeling of seeing their existing collection's value grow but putting future cards out of reach?

I really hate to say this, but it sucks. Sure it is great some cards shot up in value but it ends up being net-net pretty terrible for people actively building a collection.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 04-28-2022, 12:48 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardpete View Post
How does one balance the feeling of seeing their existing collection's value grow but putting future cards out of reach?

I really hate to say this, but it sucks. Sure it is great some cards shot up in value but it ends up being net-net pretty terrible for people actively building a collection.
I have struggled with this myself. Especially with certain cards. I don't want to feel like I have to sell some of my other cards to afford ones with the current markets prices. The end result is me picking and choosing my spots and where and what I collect.

I also know that I'll be able to prioritize collecting eventually, but it's going to take decades at this point.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 04-28-2022, 03:29 PM
Matt

Quote:

My brother and I have been saying this for the last couple of years to each other whenever we talk cards. We'd much rather our collections be worth way less if the cards we want to add to them also cost way less.

I really don't get excited about the rising value of things I never want to sell, but I do get bummed by the rising value of things I want to buy. Plus, when things reach a certain level of value, one almost feels obligated to be "responsible" and keep at least one eye on value, if a sale could move the quality of life needle even a little bit.
Old 04-28-2022, 03:56 PM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
My brother and I have been saying this for the last couple of years to each other whenever we talk cards. We'd much rather our collections be worth way less if the cards we want to add to them also cost way less.

I really don't get excited about the rising value of things I never want to sell, but I do get bummed by the rising value of things I want to buy. Plus, when things reach a certain level of value, one almost feels obligated to be "responsible" and keep at least one eye on value, if a sale could move the quality of life needle even a little bit.
Absolutely agree. I always remind myself that it's better for my financial future for card prices to go down rather than up, since I intend to buy but not to sell.
192/240 1933 Goudeys (Ruth #144, #149, Gehrig #92)
126/208 T205s
28/108? Diamond Stars
Old 04-29-2022, 08:40 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:

It does. 5-10 years ago so much I could have bought that is likely out of reach forever. Goudey Ruths PSA 7s and 8s. 1921 Exhibit Ruths. So much amazing stuff. I just can't bring myself to buy a poor bashed up version of something for the same price tag that I could have gotten it near mint 5 years ago.

Find myself now more picking around for cool memorabilia and photos that are more meaningful to me anyway.
Old 04-29-2022, 12:04 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
It does. 5-10 years ago so much I could have bought that is likely out of reach forever. Goudey Ruths PSA 7s and 8s. 1921 Exhibit Ruths. So much amazing stuff. I just can't bring myself to buy a poor bashed up version of something for the same price tag that I could have gotten it near mint 5 years ago.

Find myself now more picking around for cool memorabilia and photos that are more meaningful to me anyway.
+1 Agree. The future buys for a collection become less often and less than i would have bought
Also now trying to look at other items related to my collection focus they are more affordable(for now although those items like ticket stubs, photos, scorecards are all exploding in price also)

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-28-2022, 04:19 PM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Q1 GDP was negative 1.4%. I believe we are in for some interesting times - QE winding down, 7-8 interest rate hikes, wild inflation. Card market is already contracting (broadly, doesn't mean what you collect is).

Personally I won't be making any big card or other consumer purchases, highly suspect there be many folks caught naked (over leveraged) when this tide goes out. Toys will be going on sale soon.
Old 04-28-2022, 04:32 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by japhi View Post
Q1 GDP was negative 1.4%. I believe we are in for some interesting times - QE winding down, 7-8 interest rate hikes, wild inflation. Card market is already contracting (broadly, doesn't mean what you collect is).

Personally I won't be making any big card or other consumer purchases, highly suspect there be many folks caught naked (over leveraged) when this tide goes out. Toys will be going on sale soon.
I have been thinking this way for 2 years and have been dead wrong.

Middle and low grade cards have pulled back because this inflation is affecting the middle class ..... conversely inflation has little to no affect on 5 and 6 figure buyers on Mile High, REA, and just wait till Memory Lane. Higher Higher and Higher a 53 Mantle PSA 7 sold for 47k along with a SGC 7.5 Mantle selling for over 15k in REA's last auction.

The rich get richer...the poor get poorer... and the middle class pay more and will spend less. Cards are still bullish IMO just not low and middle grade.

Last edited by Johnny630; 04-28-2022 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-28-2022, 04:45 PM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Quote:
I have been thinking this way for 2 years and have been dead wrong.

Middle and low grade cards have pulled back because this inflation is affecting the middle class ..... conversely inflation has little to no affect on 5 and 6 figure buyers on Mile High, REA, and just wait till Memory Lane. Higher Higher and Higher a 53 Mantle PSA 7 sold for 47k along with a SGC 7.5 Mantle selling for over 15k in REA's last auction.

The rich get richer...the poor get poorer... and the middle class pay more and will spend less. Cards are still bullish IMO just not low and middle grade.
Lots of high value cards are WAY off ATH's. Mostly modern, mostly BKB, but upwards of 80% declines.

Recency bias says says that assets like cards, homes, art, vehicles will go up forever but we know that isn't true. Can't think of an asset class that doesn't correct periodically, and the correction is typically in proportion to the run up. We are way overdue for a big reset.