NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-17-2022, 05:41 AM
Jason

We've all had this happen to us and I've always gone back to the seller and said I'd match the higher offer, which often worked. Maybe that's because I'm a collector and not a flipper, I don't know. I'm surprised at how many people are for taking advantage of someone who doesn't know the value of what they have. I would have offered him $10K on principle.
Old 12-17-2022, 06:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufmannb14 View Post
Calm down fred. It sucks to be outed. There is no conspiracy going on. He messaged me saying someone else reached out and I asked for the username. Jsur so happens we are both in the Windy City. Stop gaslighting and move on. You go caught whether you were messing around or not.
Not related to the original topic, I believe the ID thing has been figured out on my end. I have no comment about the thread itself. I hate it when people get in the way of sales though.

Last edited by Leon; 12-17-2022 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-17-2022, 06:37 AM
G.ary L.eavitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecala98 View Post
I'm starting to think the OP really isn't that concerned about the card sale itself, but more of if someone from this forum poached it. The screenshot message from the seller canceling is from the same time period it was posted here (12:41AM) for a "steal on EBay". (Probably time zone variables).

I agree that many of us have had similar situations on EBay but I don't blame the OP in wanting to know if that post led to someone here poaching it...
311-407 PSA 6
Old 12-17-2022, 08:07 AM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Seller realizes mistake and makes up excuse saying someone offered more/selling for a family etc.

Guy from this forum “offers” $10k to seller.

Original buyer asks for a name.

Seller gives that $10k offer guys user name.

Guy on this forum says he was just playing a game to see what seller would do.

This is likely what happened. Seller will probably repost the card for sale.
Old 12-17-2022, 11:32 AM
Brett
Banned

Default Clarification

This is my last post on this thread because it’s gotten confusing so I’ll give you the run down. First off I was unaware I even had two accounts and I was trying to pull some shadiness I wouldn’t make it the same name practically just reversed. The story goes as this: someone posted my buy on here saying it was a steal and someone was lucky. This has been stated in the thread, about 20-30 min later I get an email from the seller saying someone offered more offline (screenshot from original post). I obviously woke up the next morning pissed off and made this thread. As much I wanted the card I wanted to figure out who keeps doing this because this isn’t the first time this has happened. It has happened twice to me by a member who commented on this thread. One was a Mathewson CB and one was tried with a red Hindu McGraw. Since I was annoyed I messaged the seller on eBay and wanted to give him a chat to make it right. He felt bad and I think his story was legit so his hands were somewhat tied. He gave me his number and offered me some more smaller cubs tobacco cards for solid deals to make up for it and we can meet and make amends over lunch in the next few weeks. While we were texting he would not relay the original poster, but said 10-15 min ago that Fred had sent him a 10k offer, and wanted to get my opinion on real value. I still don’t know why Fred would send him an offer even as a joke I just find it weird. Whether I buy, sell, trade or collect I’m a legit person, I’ve done deals with countless people and have genuinely been more than gracious and generous to people… including giving cards away for free, giving refunds on bad grades or altered grades and so forth. I’m sure as hell not the seller of the Cobb, I wish I had a card of that magnitude.

The real Brett Kaufmann
Old 12-17-2022, 12:29 PM
Rob

I agree with Rob's comment in post 2. How did you know the 'poacher', as you say, was on the thread, when the thread only had your original post, without an edit. Then, Fred, who has been on here a long time, and doesn't talk about T206 on here, as far I know, turns out to be the buyer who ruined your steal, as the other thread starter stated correctly.

I don't buy any stories about selling cards from grandpa's attic on eBay. No way I would send $4500 for a Cobb to an eBayer I didn't know.
Old 12-17-2022, 12:44 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

9 times out of 10 when you out an auction here, a net54 user ends up winning it. Still wondering who lost on that uncle Jack's Ruth. Karma

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 12-17-2022, 12:45 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
9 times out of 10 when you out an auction here, a net54 user ends up winning it. Still wondering who lost on that uncle Jack's Ruth. Karma
this is true
Old 12-17-2022, 12:49 PM
Rob

Ted and Pete, I may not be up on all the soap operas, but I thought the book store sold the Ruth to a member here, who got it graded, and sold it for less at a big auction house. I agree that we should not talk about ongoing auctions, but if we don't talk about auctions after they are over, then when do we talk about them?
Old 12-17-2022, 12:52 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Ted and Pete, I may not be up on all the soap operas, but I thought the book store sold the Ruth to a member here, who got it graded, and sold it for less at a big auction house. I agree that we should not talk about ongoing auctions, but if we don't talk about auctions after they are over, then when do we talk about them?
i believe u r correct in your assessment of the uncle jack ruth scenario from my understanding.

I think it used to be much more frowned upon to "out" or discuss auctions in progress. Over time more people would post current auctions with questions and that might start a discussion sometimes outing a card as bogus or altered...and this is good. Fine line to me. I don't have a problem with it anymore.

Seems many want a "perfect" marketplace when it comes to trading cards...this encourages that.

Last edited by ullmandds; 12-17-2022 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-17-2022, 01:40 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKaufmann14 View Post
This is my last post on this thread because it’s gotten confusing so I’ll give you the run down. First off I was unaware I even had two accounts and I was trying to pull some shadiness I wouldn’t make it the same name practically just reversed. The story goes as this: someone posted my buy on here saying it was a steal and someone was lucky. This has been stated in the thread, about 20-30 min later I get an email from the seller saying someone offered more offline (screenshot from original post). I obviously woke up the next morning pissed off and made this thread. As much I wanted the card I wanted to figure out who keeps doing this because this isn’t the first time this has happened. It has happened twice to me by a member who commented on this thread. One was a Mathewson CB and one was tried with a red Hindu McGraw. Since I was annoyed I messaged the seller on eBay and wanted to give him a chat to make it right. He felt bad and I think his story was legit so his hands were somewhat tied. He gave me his number and offered me some more smaller cubs tobacco cards for solid deals to make up for it and we can meet and make amends over lunch in the next few weeks. While we were texting he would not relay the original poster, but said 10-15 min ago that Fred had sent him a 10k offer, and wanted to get my opinion on real value. I still don’t know why Fred would send him an offer even as a joke I just find it weird. Whether I buy, sell, trade or collect I’m a legit person, I’ve done deals with countless people and have genuinely been more than gracious and generous to people… including giving cards away for free, giving refunds on bad grades or altered grades and so forth. I’m sure as hell not the seller of the Cobb, I wish I had a card of that magnitude.

The real Brett Kaufmann
Brett,

Probably my final post on this also. It'd be nice if the seller would tell you who contacted them about the card after the sale. I can assure you, it wasn't me.

I sent the $10K offer to see what he'd do. That offer went out WELL past the time you originally posted this thread. I figured if he screwed you, he'd screw the person that "supposedly" offered up more than the BIN price and screwed you over. Apparently the seller still has the card from what you're indicating. My thought was that if the seller was greedy, then he'd probably screw the other person over but then he'd be stuck with the stuck with the card because I had no intention of buying it.

I have T206s because I collect vintage, but I'm not an aficionado of the set. I honestly have no clue what that card, with that back, is worth. I pulled the $10K number out of thin air.

Timing is everything. I'm assuming you have the multiple N54 ID handles cleared up because you're posting. Leon's a fair guy and I hope it didn't cause you too much consternation.

Since you seem to be buddies with the seller now, ask him when the $10K offer was made. I sent the offer a few minutes after post #32 (way past the time you started this thread). Then within no time you out me as the "poacher". Since people know people's ebay handles in this forum, I really didn't like the implication that I am a "poacher" or would pull some underhanded BS and screw someone out of a nice deal.

I hope you and the seller can work something out. Good luck.
Old 12-17-2022, 02:27 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

It happened to me so often I offered a seller $500 to tell me who had contacted him. Pretty frustrating and disheartening when it is someone pretending to be your pal. It didnt surprise me when I caught him shilling off his signed 52 set, and I was more than happy to expose it.

Old 12-17-2022, 03:20 PM

This forum gets really entertaining when there's drama on ebay or in auction house and all the participants involved are members of Net54. beer chug.gifbeer chug.gifbeer chug.gif
Old 12-18-2022, 09:18 AM
Justin

Any updates to report?
Saw the card floating around on twitter.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jcosta19; 12-18-2022 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-18-2022, 09:34 AM
Banned

Plot twist is… seller made it right and lived 2 miles from me. Timelesssportscards on eBay was original poacher. Had to pay more than original buy but I’m happy and content and prob have a new hobby buddy. That’s the update was picked up this morning but this thread got so confusing didn’t want to post anymore
Old 12-18-2022, 09:39 AM
Justin

Quote:
Plot twist is… seller made it right and lived 2 miles from me. Timelesssportscards on eBay was original poacher. Had to pay more than original buy but I’m happy and content and prob have a new hobby buddy. That’s the update was picked up this morning but this thread got so confusing didn’t want to post anymore
Congrats and glad it worked out!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2022, 11:06 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:

I get it, plus the whole circumventing of Ebay. I wouldnt want to post either

Old 12-18-2022, 11:18 AM
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham

Quote:
Congrats! Heck of a card, glad it worked out for you.

Looks like you still have two accounts...is one of them logged in on your phone and the other logged in on PC or something?
Old 12-18-2022, 11:44 AM
Banned

Yes you hit in the head. Usually I log into net54 on my laptop but I’m streaming NFL games all weekend and I guess created an account prior to my normal one so it automatically logs me in! I promise I’m not a scammer or this is my burner lol, after all both have kaufmann in them I’d be an idiot to make a burner with that 😂
Old 12-18-2022, 12:28 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Yes you hit in the head. Usually I log into net54 on my laptop but I’m streaming NFL games all weekend and I guess created an account prior to my normal one so it automatically logs me in! I promise I’m not a scammer or this is my burner lol, after all both have kaufmann in them I’d be an idiot to make a burner with that ��
So can you help me understand what you meant here in one of our emails? (read bottom one first)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2022 11:15 AM
To: leonl@flash.net
Subject: Re: Banned?

Yes

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 17, 2022, at 11:03 AM, leonl@flash.net wrote:
>
> So, your brother has the opposite id of you, and that's him posting? I am old and get confused easily..
>

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2022 10:37 AM
To: leonl@flash.net
Subject: Re: Banned?

I mean I have no idea about this other account. The site has been acting weird for me. Just seems pretty rash to just ban me and my brother without even talking to us. I’ve developed a decent reputation over last couple years and somehow I get banned, but this Fred guy who just admitted to trying to poach the seller after I’d been shafted isn’t banned. Can you just ban the kaufmannb14 one. I like never even start threads this one just annoyed me yesterday so I posted still not sure what I did wrong.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 17, 2022, at 8:14 AM, leonl@flash.net wrote:
>
> I will look into it. But This would be like me having Luckey7 and someone else being 7Luckey, with the same area code........good chance they are the same. And then there is that 3rd Kaufmann from the same area? .....I am sure you bid in those auctions and I have contacts at each one I can check.
> Don't you think it's strange that someone from your zip code has the same id but backwards and is commenting in your thread? What are the odds? I am sure you at least see my point.
>
> LL

[/B]

Last edited by Leon; 12-18-2022 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-18-2022, 12:31 PM
Banned

Default Clarification

This kaufmannb14 one is logged on my phone, my normal one is my laptop. I didn’t realize it until this morning. My brother has a total different account kylekaufmann something or another he doesn’t post much. You can still take this account away I’ll just have to figure out my info on my laptop so I can use on my phone.
Old 12-18-2022, 12:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
This kaufmannb14 one is logged on my phone, my normal one is my laptop. I didn’t realize it until this morning. My brother has a total different account kylekaufmann something or another he doesn’t post much. You can still take this account away I’ll just have to figure out my info on my laptop so I can use on my phone.
You have 2 accounts. Absolutely a banning offense. You said your brother posted in this thread, in our email? That was a blatant lie. I can barely keep up with your stories. I am sorry, I do get confused when people lie to me.

I can barely remember the truth let alone make up stories.

Last edited by Leon; 12-19-2022 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-18-2022, 12:36 PM
Banned

Okay go ahead and ban me at this point doesn’t even matter
Old 12-18-2022, 12:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Okay go ahead and ban me at this point doesn’t even matter
I would rather hear your explanation. Maybe I got this all wrong?
Old 12-18-2022, 12:50 PM
Brett
Banned

I said yesterday you can get rid of kaufmannb14, it logs me in atomically on my phone didn’t realize until post had been made already. Why in the world would I purposely make two accounts with the same last name in there it doesn’t make sense to me, if I was trying to pull something. I just went on my laptop and has my proper username and password for my normal account to log into my phone. Ban me don’t ban me, believe me don’t believe me, I am never going to start a thread again this has been the most confusing thing I’ve been apart of there is like 5 side bar convos going on as well lol
Old 12-18-2022, 01:27 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

So how much did you end up paying for the Cycle Cobb?

Oddly the second one to be graded and sold fairly recently but still a rare card.
Old 12-18-2022, 04:04 PM
Tim Odeen

I have had problems logging into Net54 on my laptop for about two years. My cellphone was 100% reliable thru Tapatalk. Laptop version on regular internet made me make a new password many times, and refuses to accept the new passwords I created. Super frustrating. I finally got my laptop issuses settled a month ago. So I totally understand the possibility of having two accounts.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 12-18-2022, 05:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

More feedback from extremely trusted members and the OP, his brother, and any other aliases, gone. Not even a question, and had I known this information before, the OP would have been banned before this thread was started.

Last edited by Leon; 12-18-2022 at 05:50 PM.