NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 01-31-2023, 08:43 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
My collecting year has been made. I doubt I'll get something as big to me as this pretty much ever. I started my T220 Silver set when I was 12 in Christmas 2003, when my Dad bought me my first 7 boxing cards because they looked cool with the silver borders and he thought I might like them even though they weren't baseball. Probably a mistake, I've been addicted to the T220 Silver's and from there the whole c. 1910 E/T/C card period of boxing ever since. 6,975 days later my favorite set is finally complete, and in spectacular fashion for I completed my first set, my second set, my third set, my fourth set, my fifth set, my sixth set, my seventh set, and my eighth set all at once. It was peak hobby enjoyment to take this box over and open it up with my Dad like we did with my first T220 silvers.

I don’t know how many Corbett’s are out there, I have not tracked them as religiously as I have the 4 Donovans (a lot easier to track, as they have all been discovered during my time in the hobby and in the scan era) but these 8 probably represent around 50-66% of the total population now. PSA has 4 graded, SGC’s registry produces 0 Corbett’s and 0 Donovan’s and just 1-3 of the commons so it is clearly useless still but I don't believe they've ever had one. I've heard of a couple raw ones out there, but rumors aren't photos.

I don't want to out anyone who might want to remain anonymously private but I got a call from the original buyer, who didn't have to do this at all as I have no entitlement to these whatsoever, and structured a deal specifically just to get the Corbett sheet into my silver-loving collection. Even after we discussed bids and valuations, that it might one day be a Graziano type item in an open and properly listed sale, and his original intent to quietly keep it, he offered it to me because reconstructing this sheet is my passion project at a generous price in one heck of a gesture. Not only did he do this great kindness, he then shipped me the sheet immediately before we had even finished the logistics of payment. I've arranged for certain unique items to end up in certain peoples collections because they really care about them, but this is a value range I don't typically even play in at all. Wow!

I will also insert a plug for the remaining 2 panels that have survived to the present. To whoever owns the Randall/Belasco, I will pay you stupid money for it. Same for the Choyinski if its owner ever gets bored of looking at it. And with the Corbett printing proofs, I still need a final production normal Corbett to go along with them. I’m going to keep building some side sets of 23 (One side set I’m doing is fully beaters, trying to find the worst condition examples of each of the 23 base cards I can) of it as it is my favorite release, but I’m almost wrapped up here with as complete a collection as can be made. I’m not aware of any extant oddities I don’t own, but who knows what is out there (hint hint ). Maybe a Jack Goodman really will crop up one day and give me a new white whale.

That's fantastic Greg. Glad you got that piece in your hands, and kudo's to whoever worked out the deal with you. Great twist to the story.
Old 01-31-2023, 11:10 AM
Bill Avery

Probably belongs on a non-sport site but I'll put my Reginald Denny here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500 (4).jpg (41.7 KB, 264 views)
Old 01-31-2023, 06:16 PM
Chad

Default Cine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill77 View Post
Probably belongs on a non-sport site but I'll put my Reginald Denny here.
Bill, I like you taste. Cine cards are normally a bit strange, but I like them.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:30 PM
Chad

Default Buster Douglas - 1990 Sega Super Play

This card is sure to be on ever boxing collectors “must have” list. This one is just a standard size card that fits in a 3 X 4 top loader, not the larger cabinet sized card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7A77F637-E31D-4C9B-8DAC-A235017BB69B.jpg (196.4 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg E81B8693-DACC-48BF-B8E7-9019B0D04A84.jpg (195.2 KB, 279 views)
Old 01-31-2023, 06:51 PM
Chad

Default Primo Carnera

I’m in need of a little help on this recent acquisition. Does anyone know the year and series of this Carnera card. It measures 3 X 1.75.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D27966E5-920E-4129-9EB2-63FA1B33F575.jpg (198.8 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg 7581AF16-EEE0-4F66-B70A-C89993EA4ADE.jpg (161.7 KB, 270 views)
Old 01-31-2023, 07:03 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Chad, there is a 1991-1992 copyright on the Douglas, so I do not think it is a 1990 card.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-31-2023, 07:08 PM
Chad

Default Buster Douglas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Chad, there is a 1991-1992 copyright on the Douglas, so I do not think it is a 1990 card.
Adam, I just assumed it was the same year as the cabinet card. I guess I should have looked a little closer. Lol..

Last edited by wicker56; 01-31-2023 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:05 PM

More Andre goodness.

Old 02-02-2023, 11:36 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicker56 View Post
Adam, I just assumed it was the same year as the cabinet card. I guess I should have looked a little closer. Lol..
Welcome to the assumption club. I'm not just the president, I'm also a member.

Or not...
Old 02-02-2023, 01:29 PM
Dave

Quote:
This card is sure to be on ever boxing collectors “must have” list. This one is just a standard size card that fits in a 3 X 4 top loader, not the larger cabinet sized card.

Is this Buster Douglas card actually a tough card? I've got at least a couple stashed away in an album and never thought twice about them before, but there doesn't seem to be much of a history of them on-line. I figured they were mass produced like the Muhammad Ali AW Sega card.....but maybe not so much.
Old 02-04-2023, 07:48 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Readily available on ebay uk. The big point of sale card is genuinely tough.

Or not...
Old 02-04-2023, 11:29 AM
Dave

Quote:
Readily available on ebay uk. The big point of sale card is genuinely tough.

Hmmm, didn't find any there either. In either listed or completed listings. Plenty of the games....even the rare version that seems to go for 1000's of bucks...but none of the cards.

Went back two years in the Terapeak search on Ebay US, and found nothing.

Found one or two beat up versions on a Google search on old picture sites.

Granted Ebay search is trash, and the once fanciful idea that you can find anything and everything on Google is also a myth, but it does seem kind of weird this card seems to have been wiped from existence on the internet.

The Trading Card Database also seems to have missed this card in the Buster Douglas checklist:

https://www.tcdb.com/Person.cfm/pid/...tName=&sBrand=
Old 02-04-2023, 04:34 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I didn't even know there was a Buster Douglas checklist...

Or not...
Old 02-04-2023, 05:08 PM
Dave

Quote:
I didn't even know there was a Buster Douglas checklist...

Everybody gets a checklist Adam...everybody!

Old 02-04-2023, 05:13 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I don't know much about value of these, but this one was on eBay for $65 and I got it. That seemed fair to me. Coburn's brother Joe was a significant fighter, a claimant to the Heavyweight title for a time. There's very little about Mike (any other heavyweight champions have a bantamweight sibling that boxed?) out there though, and I'm not finding much. I can't think of another card Mike appeared on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0150.jpg (199.9 KB, 243 views)
Old 02-04-2023, 06:20 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Boxing's version of Tommy Aaron...

Or not...
Old 02-04-2023, 06:34 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Boxing's version of Tommy Aaron...
They even had a third brother, Jim, that was a professional boxer. I don't think he was around for long. Boxrec doesn't seem to know of him.
Old 02-04-2023, 07:12 PM
Dave

Cyberboxingzone has a decent fight record shown for Mike Coburn.
Old 02-05-2023, 08:16 AM
Dave

Quote:
They even had a third brother, Jim, that was a professional boxer. I don't think he was around for long. Boxrec doesn't seem to know of him.

Here's brother Jim Coburn in his later years, seconding forgotten 4th brother Charlie in an underground fight.

Old 02-05-2023, 01:56 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Here's brother Jim Coburn in his later years, seconding forgotten 4th brother Charlie in an underground fight.

You usually have the answer when there's some question of boxing history I don't know, but I'm pretty surprised you were able to unearth such high quality color film of the 19th century!

CyberBoxingZone was the most I could find on him from a web search. Much of the site is broken and it appears it hasn't been updated in many years. I hope it doesn't go offline, it's a great general resource for the old days. I like cards of new guys I don't have one of, as it's an excuse to go research the less big names of the period.
Old 02-05-2023, 02:28 PM
Chad

Default Jack Taylor

Speaking of lesser known boxers. I recently acquired this Jack Taylor card, which I’m assuming is an Italian issued card. I found I have two other Jack Taylor cards a Comet and a Ammatller, both of which are chocolate cards. I looked online and Boxrec had a bit of info and Taylor actually beat Max Schmeling early in his career. I’m confused by the info on the card due to what I found online stated Taylor was from Nebraska. Was Taylor originally from Cuba or was he actually a champion in Cuba.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5D12C225-F854-4FB9-8F7B-28F660C67342.jpeg (136.0 KB, 248 views)
Old 02-05-2023, 02:38 PM
Chad

Default Jack Taylor

Ok. I may have answered my own question. It looks like Taylor fought in Cuba and won Six fights, then he lost his last two fights. If he was a Cuban champion it had to be just for a couple of months. These cards normally date from the 20’s or 30’s and he was fighting in Cuba in 1914.

Last edited by wicker56; 02-05-2023 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-05-2023, 02:45 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Just looked him up, Taylor seems like a guy who led a crazy life. Decent enough to fight Sam Langford to some draws (impressive even when Langford was old), lived much of his life in the Netherlands too where his Boxrec bio says he was imprisoned by the Nazi's.
Old 02-05-2023, 02:51 PM
Dave

Quote:
You usually have the answer when there's some question of boxing history I don't know, but I'm pretty surprised you were able to unearth such high quality color film of the 19th century!

It's amazing what modern technology can do to bring this old footage back to life. Here's what the original footage looked like, before Industrial Light and Magic got involved in the restoration process.

Old 02-05-2023, 03:01 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
It's amazing what modern technology can do to bring this old footage back to life. Here's what the original footage looked like, before Industrial Light and Magic got involved in the restoration process.

Seriously now, it's amazing how well some of the old video has been preserved and improved with time. It's a ton of fun to put on some of the old video when sorting through a stack of T or N cards while seeing these guys in action. Baseball and boxing have the best and longest histories of the sports, but unlike baseball, boxing mostly forgets its past. Jack Johnson, Joe Louis, Jack Dempsey and Russell Crowe as James J. Braddock are about all that get mentioned before Ali.
Old 02-06-2023, 08:40 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Today was a good day. 22 of the 23 fragments are now reunited back together, the last remaining is the torn Choyinski in another board members collection. Thank you to the private collector who worked a deal with me!

Thought the odds of doing this were near 0 after the original seller finally clued on, happy to get this close to restoring it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0163.jpg (202.8 KB, 247 views)
Old 02-07-2023, 04:52 PM
Dave

Quote:
Seriously now, it's amazing how well some of the old video has been preserved and improved with time. It's a ton of fun to put on some of the old video when sorting through a stack of T or N cards while seeing these guys in action. Baseball and boxing have the best and longest histories of the sports, but unlike baseball, boxing mostly forgets its past. Jack Johnson, Joe Louis, Jack Dempsey and Russell Crowe as James J. Braddock are about all that get mentioned before Ali.

Greg, you'd be a good candidate for IBRO (International Boxing Research Organization). Basically SABR, but for boxing. I let my membership lapse a few years ago (for no good reason really), but they have a tooooooon of stuff behind their paywall, and they love contributions to their monthly publication, which can be 100+ pages thick sometimes.
Old 02-07-2023, 06:43 PM
Chad

Default Panel

Quote:
Today was a good day. 22 of the 23 fragments are now reunited back together, the last remaining is the torn Choyinski in another board members collection. Thank you to the private collector who worked a deal with me!

Thought the odds of doing this were near 0 after the original seller finally clued on, happy to get this close to restoring it.

Greg,

I can’t believe the condition of these panels. It’s really impressive.
Old 02-07-2023, 07:42 PM
Dave

Quote:
Greg,

I can’t believe the condition of these panels. It’s really impressive.

They are f'ing great!
Old 02-08-2023, 10:38 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

IBRO sounds right up my alley, I will look into them. Thank you

"F'ing great" and "can't believe" is how I think of them. I'm almost out of excuses to keep posting panels now . Amazing they survived at all. There's a partial sheet of 1908 Ogdens and the 4 N310 Mayo strips, I don't know of other uncut boxing material pre-WWI. Can't wait to see what we uncover next, there's always more out there.
Old 02-08-2023, 10:40 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

And here's a card. Thanks to my card pal for swapping Zbysko's and getting me a Miners Extra back (the one I actually need!). Freshly liberated from the SGC slab to slot into my set. Loving the large, colorful lithographs in this set. Up to 29 different front/back combos now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0169.jpg (127.5 KB, 234 views)
Old 02-09-2023, 04:08 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Tommy Murphy, Khedival, no stats, no factory makes 143/250. The lack of a Jack Johnson and recognition of the backs makes it cheap to build, but the lack of recognition of the confusing backs make it difficult to get cards anywhere but patiently waiting for the right front/back combos to appear on eBay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0173.jpg (138.0 KB, 225 views)
Old 02-10-2023, 07:10 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Got a batch of T227's with three pugs in it. The Wolgast is a dupe Honest Long Cut Black, the Klaus' are an Honest and a Miners. I needed the Miners back, and I think the honest might be an upgrade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0178.jpg (140.4 KB, 227 views)
Old 02-11-2023, 09:51 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

3 more in today's mail. Needed the Walcott for my Ringside set that I search for once every few months. Great cards, just never put much work into finishing it. The Ketchell is a Hassan 649, my previous Hassan 649 was heavily torn and stained and even by my standards is bad shape. The Erne was cheap, and I love the silvers, so why not?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0189.jpg (185.4 KB, 216 views)
Old 02-14-2023, 12:14 PM
Bill Avery

Just received the McAuliffe today. The Jordan should be here by the end of the week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (42).jpg (89.9 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (43).jpg (105.8 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (44).jpg (179.1 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (45).jpg (170.2 KB, 201 views)
Old 02-15-2023, 11:13 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Completed every possible front/back combination among the T218 Hassan and Mecca cards with this one. Need 5 Tolstoi's to have a T218 master set complete. Tolstoi's are darn tough, but the very hardest cards are some specific combinations in the Hassan and Mecca portions of the set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg James-McEntee.jpg (47.2 KB, 178 views)
Old 02-18-2023, 04:20 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

And another T225 of Harlem Tommy Murphy. 144/250 down, and 7/10 Murphy's. He's a total common, but he was a very good contender who fought an absolute ton of matches with hall of famers, champions and the elite. Not that a single person will ever care, but this is probably his rookie card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0185.jpg (143.0 KB, 167 views)
Old 02-18-2023, 05:55 PM
Chad

Default 1933 Sport Kings

This Tunney just arrived in the mail yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D2BD0B5A-C4A1-44B0-9075-1175BCEE3B74.jpg (191.3 KB, 173 views)
Old 02-18-2023, 08:10 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Great color on that example
Old 02-19-2023, 07:19 AM
Chad

Default 1933 Sport Kings

Quote:
Great color on that example
Thanks Greg. Unfortunately when you get good colors on these it seems like the red ink on the top of the card almost always bleeds through on the back. This one is not an exception.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:43 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Lannon here is a much less notable heavyweight. He fought some good boxers but has no real big win on his resume and never was a serious contender for Sullivan's crown. He was a friend of Sullivan's and traveled with him for a time fighting numerous exhibition matches over several years. He had an exhibition with Corbett at least once, and apparently was scheduled to fight Peter Jackson but it didn't materialize.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0212.jpg (157.9 KB, 159 views)
Old 02-22-2023, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Is this Buster Douglas card actually a tough card? I've got at least a couple stashed away in an album and never thought twice about them before, but there doesn't seem to be much of a history of them on-line. I figured they were mass produced like the Muhammad Ali AW Sega card.....but maybe not so much.
Just picked up the French version. Add this to the Buster Douglas checklist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bd.JPG (94.1 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by sthoemke; 02-22-2023 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-23-2023, 07:59 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Barry and Sullivan are from the Heroes of the Ring set, the 3rd card from numbered series F. Loving these Ogden's, up to 31 different boxing cards across the series that constitute these closely related black border issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0234.jpg (197.6 KB, 139 views)
Old 02-24-2023, 09:05 AM
Dave

Quote:
Barry and Sullivan are from the Heroes of the Ring set, the 3rd card from numbered series F. Loving these Ogden's, up to 31 different boxing cards across the series that constitute these closely related black border issues.

If I remember correctly, that last card is Bob Fitzsimmons and Peter Maher re-enacting their bout near the Texas border for the cameras. This time on higher ground and with a bigger crowd, then their original mostly secret location of a sand bar, just on the Mexican side of the Rio Grande.
Old 02-24-2023, 10:43 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
Just picked up the French version. Add this to the Buster Douglas checklist.
Tres bien.

Or not...
Old 02-24-2023, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Tres bien.
I believe there is a Spanish version, as well. (Italian, also?)

Last edited by sthoemke; 03-08-2023 at 02:02 AM.
Old 02-24-2023, 10:26 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
If I remember correctly, that last card is Bob Fitzsimmons and Peter Maher re-enacting their bout near the Texas border for the cameras. This time on higher ground and with a bigger crowd, then their original mostly secret location of a sand bar, just on the Mexican side of the Rio Grande.
Thanks Dave. I thought I recognized the back of Bob Fitzsimmons head, but no clue on the other gent. The card appears in series B as well, with a different tint and a differently cropped photo. I believe its the only fight card in the Ogdens' series.
Old 03-01-2023, 02:37 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Nothing gold can stay. But silver lives forever.

Young Corbett's T220 card sometimes feels like the only time he was ever depicted differently from the photo used for this T218/T225.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0257.jpg (123.0 KB, 99 views)
Old 03-04-2023, 02:09 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

The image is from Gans' audition for the original stage version of The Karate Kid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0264.jpg (101.3 KB, 86 views)
Old 03-07-2023, 04:16 AM

Default Rose and Smith

2 x mid 1920 boxer cards, dont know which set they are from, the backs are blank
Rose and Smith.jpg