NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-15-2023, 01:32 PM
Mark

Default Why does PSA still not recognize H.D. Smith & Co. cards

It's been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that there's never been anything called Scrapps Tobacco. All those cards were made by H.D. Smith & Co. Every publication, including the first one to call them Scrapps, has admitted such. Even an email I got from PSA acknowledges that they are wrong, but they won't do anything to fix it and still label them as Scrapps Tobacco.

This is important because H.D. Smith & Co. cards were issued with gum. That makes them the first to do so. Ignoring that milestone and mislabeling thfrm as a non-existent tobacco is wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20230615_192548677~2.jpg (197.1 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by darkhorse9; 06-15-2023 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-15-2023, 02:01 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I've always thought the scrapps designation was just a descriptor and not an existent product. As in the common items of the 1880's through early 1900s of diecut sets sold for scrapbooking purposes, a huge hobby at the times. Those often embossed diecuts are called scraps or scrapps for the hobby use. Perhaps it became a mystery amalgamation of words at one point due to confusion..."These could be scrap, they could be tobacco".

That said I think you have a good point and they become one of the very early true cards if they were candy packaged. I imagine it's one of those common decisions they make on the regular that they "don't want to rock the boat" or frustrate collectors or registries by changing the name.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 06-15-2023, 02:22 PM
John

Would it cause confusion in the market or with the set registry?
Old 06-15-2023, 03:02 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90feetaway View Post
Would it cause confusion in the market or with the set registry?
I think it's safe to say both. Any future listings for auctions or sales would likely list both designations for at least a decade if it was to happen as well as the TPGs would need to provide reslabbing to help the new classification. That doesn't mean I think it's a bad idea, if they are candy cards it's historically important. You could take it to the next step and ask if they should have an e-card catalog number? There is no current number due to the thought they are scraps. Without the e-number, I don't see acceptance outside an inner circle they are candy cards, but that would be a long shot.

My remarks were in what I believe to be the common excuses, I do not think it's insurmountable. The grading industry has numerous misidentified cards, this is simply just one of many they are ignoring. The entire industry is loathe to change and tend to hide their heads in the sand on these issues regularly.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 06-15-2023, 04:01 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

PSA (and the others) routinely ignore research and proven facts. They will almost always just stamp whatever hobbyists made up long ago instead of things that are true.
Old 06-15-2023, 04:35 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
PSA (and the others) routinely ignore research and proven facts. They will almost always just stamp whatever hobbyists made up long ago instead of things that are true.
Sadly, 100% accurate.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-15-2023, 05:02 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
It's been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that there's never been anything called Scrapps Tobacco. All those cards were made by H.D. Smith & Co. Every publication, including the first one to call them Scrapps, has admitted such. Even an email I got from PSA acknowledges that they are wrong, but they won't do anything to fix it and still label them as Scrapps Tobacco.

This is important because H.D. Smith & Co. cards were issued with gum. That makes them the first to do so. Ignoring that milestone and mislabeling thfrm as a non-existent tobacco is wrong.
The E223 G & B Chewing Gum cards were also issued in 1888:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G & B Gum E223 Silver Flint - front.jpg (201.9 KB, 142 views)
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.