NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Default The projection is August 4th!

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Back in the day, quite a few days ago, I occasioned upon a beer bar which was pleasant, had a real pot belly stove for heat, free (very long) shuffleboard, free snacks and sandwiches (I said it was in the past). I guess that I went back there several times. Nobody ever asked the proprietor "Why don't you offer wine" because they knew the answer "this is a beer bar".

Nobody asked for whiskey, grape juice, watermellon, knishes, sauerbraten, kool-aid, etc. Do you know why?

Old 05-07-2007, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Back in the day, quite a few days ago, sometimes the teacher would sense the buildup of tension in the class and leave the room for a bit.

There would ensue relative chaos including the throwing of paper airplanes, spitballs and the associated pulling of pig tails and pony tails; mainly of the more attractive famales.

Upon the teacher's return, order was restored and everyone's blowing off of steam had the desired effect. At precisely that time, there would be the raised hand needing to be called upon. This person then would recite a verbal report of who did what while there was no supervision. I was never the hand raiser in this situation. My preferences were paper airplanes and pony tails.

Is that Dan's hand I see raised right now?

Old 05-07-2007, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Just pointing out the hypocrisy Gil. You wrote that statement 2 days ago and then the very next day you are talking about steroids and Barry Bonds. I personally don't care if people go off topic in this group because I think it does serve a purpose of community and friendship. Leon does a good job of reigning it in when it gets to be too much. So go ahead and have your fun, but please don't complain about someone else going off topic.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Administrator

I have no intention of spoon feeding you explanations for each allegation you choose to conjure Dan. If you do not accept my explanation of Leon deliberately incorporating a single thread OT release for the maddening hoard, to maintain sanity, then either you haven't been paying attention, or I am incorrect. In any event, I will not entertain further challenges from you which are not clearly thought out.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Sorry Gil, I apologize. I'm not here to make enemies or argue.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Dan,

I agree with you a 100%. Just think if we didn't let Barry tell his Seinfield jokes we would never know that he watches reruns religiously. I already know you guys love prewar vintage. Tell me something new tell me what your other passions are.

How can you discuss baseball at all without discussing Bonds and the breaking of the most hallowed record in sports. How could this thread be O/T.

Peter

Old 05-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Dan, I too regret making statements which could be construed as hostility.
I do not take any of this "verbal" posturing and skirmishing seriously tho. I find it an alternative form of fun. That is, until it is taken to heart.

I am only Gil, and I bring no sword here; but I do enjoy a debate, sparring match and other games which require thought, creativity and dynamics. Heck, I do not always even believe in the position which I accept. Sometimes it is just for the matching of wits, eventho I often only make it half way there.

Have fun!

Old 05-09-2007, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Another dinger.

It's just like clockwork.

2 variables that will determine the fate of the Giants. Young guy Tim Lincecum just brought up from minors and old vet Armando Benitez.

Peter

Old 05-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

Thanks for constantly reviving a post that has nothing to do with vintage cards. I think most of us can read the news...

Old 05-10-2007, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

How about July 2 (or earlier)? He's hitting them pretty frequently... Barry Jamba....

Old 05-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John H.

Peter, please remind us as to the point of your Bonds homer updates. I think most of us find it quite irritating when we visit this thread to see if someone has something interesting to say and find that it's only another one of your countdown posts. I watched the game last night so I saw him hit it. I would have heard about it this morning if I hadn't have seen it.

Believe it or not, Peter, Barry just isn't that popular.

John

Old 05-10-2007, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I guess it's my place to answer this question from a few posts above, where you said

"Dan,

I agree with you a 100%. Just think if we didn't let Barry tell his Seinfield jokes we would never know that he watches reruns religiously. I already know you guys love prewar vintage. Tell me something new tell me what your other passions are.

How can you discuss baseball at all without discussing Bonds and the breaking of the most hallowed record in sports. How could this thread be O/T.

Peter"

The answer to this question is that this is way Off Topic....it doesn't have anything to do with vintage baseball cards. And guess what again....everyone on this board SHOULD love vintage pre-war cards as that is what we discuss. We don't need to tell you anything new discussed on the board because everything is at least approx. 60 years old. We have been discussintg this stuff for the last 9 yrs including the old Fullcount board. I started on it in 1999 so about 8 yrs for me. I appreciate most of your posts but I have to say you are one of the main culprits for so many off topic posts. If you want to discuss what the main focus of this forum is then that is fine....if you don't then there are other places to go to discuss other stuff....We are tightening up a little bit on off topic posts especially since the new memorabilia board has opened. I don't expect a lot of wildly off topics over there either.....lmk if this doesn't make sense and we can discuss it some more. I am very tempted to lock this thread but, believe it or not, I really hate to lock any threads....Please don't take this too personally it goes for everyone....You just seem to be bringing this thread back to life as well as some other OT ones.....

Old 05-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Why don't you just lock it so it slips off the main page. It has been here now for five weeks...we all know Bonds is going to do it, so why belabor the point?

Old 05-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

I've always spelled it "belabour" but I googled it and you are right.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Administrator

I looked it up before I posted. It's spelled both ways!

Old 05-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks Leon.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Administrator

It's time to lock up this thread, otherwise, I'll get another of Barry's grammer lessons.

Peter

Old 05-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

it's "grammar"

Old 05-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Steve- I think we're fighting a losing battle here.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

How 'bout syntax (as opposed to a sin tax)? In my household, the sin tax on my card purchases is a proportional equivalent having to go to some sort of jewelry...

Old 05-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Misunderestimated

Wouldn't it be neat if Curt Schilling was the Pitcher...
Just for the irony...