NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-13-2009, 08:06 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I would say that the least of the hobby's worries are individuals that want to spend money on slabbed cards to build Registry sets thereby driving up prices on certain cards.

A guy who has created fake cards in the past and talks about putting them out into our community while speaking privately to a degenerate like Elkins? Probably not a major worry but certainly someone I wouldn't let near my collection. Or the poultry section of the supermarket.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Peter S

I respectfully disagree with your last statement. Not even close. I can think of a thousand things that are less worrisome. I don't know if Kevin was talking tongue in cheek in his email but it doesn't appear that way. This puts a nail in that coffin as far as any respect there was on my part....it's completely gone and probably always will be. How could anyone ever trust that person to look at a card and give an unbiased opinion given the statements made? And no, just like our dear Mr.Chan....I ain't buying the "it was just a joke".
Old 05-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Jim VB

Was anyone but me "offended" by the pics of "Joann as Wonder Woman"? (But at the same time, I kind of liked the Lichtman pic!)
Old 05-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default Leon

In my opinion, we should be worried about the numerous people who are altering cards for commercial purposes and the numerous people who are knowingly selling them (and thereby facilitating the card doctors) -- not Kevin, as to whom there is no suggestion that he has done that.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-13-2009 at 09:30 AM. Reason: parenthetical added
Old 05-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Joann

I still think there is something worse about targeting individuals as a revenge kind of thing. I understand that card doctors that put bad cards out there for commercial purposes on a generic basis are an issue. But the idea that someone would do it in a targeted way really sets me all wrong on this.

I can't articulate why it is that targeting people for bad cards seems worse, but it does.

And as to the pictures, I think it's hilarious. He's trying to imitate Wonka's great use of photos and photoshopping, but it's a pretty superficial imitation.

J
Old 05-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk59 View Post
And as to the pictures, I think it's hilarious. J
He, at the very least, should have used the correct picture.

Wonder Woman
Old 05-13-2009, 09:52 AM
marty quinn

"a joke my a$$" great job jon, and for making it public, now the whole collecting world knows of kevin, "alert" the grading co.'s, that is a joke, unreal is a good word......leon please take down his link for his website....btw if it were a joke why not say so next sentence or email??????? answer we that riddler....i always felt someone that alters cards for the hell of it were a little shady.....now we know why.......imagine what we dont know?????? very very scary....again great job jon.....like always...
Old 05-13-2009, 09:59 AM

Often, the easiest way to hide is right out in the open.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Barry Sloate

Even I'm pictured on that other thread...hey, I've been called worse.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

As a wise friend of mine said, I'm sure the grading companies are kicking themselves now about not taking Kevin up on his offer to work with them.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Even I'm pictured on that other thread...hey, I've been called worse.
Barry, it's like being in the killer's shrine in Silence of the Lambs.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Barry Sloate

It's something like that...I think I'm guilty by association...you know, part of that mythical Net54 clique. That's okay, I'm in a good mood today, I can take it (and I've been called Sloth before, in the schoolyard).
Old 05-13-2009, 10:21 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Peter

I guess we will agree to disagree on this one. I have precedence for the way I feel. I think, as Joann so eloquently stated, there is something different and much, much worse about doing something and targeting a group or person as opposed to a situation done
indiscriminately.

A while back I was asked how I could be friendly with Mastro Auctions IF (and that is still an "if" so far) they shill bid on a lot I won. My answer was the same as it is now. If they did it and targeted me then I would not be friendly with them anymore. If they did it across the board then it's not so personal. It's still bad, and should be punished (again, if they did it) but not like it was done to me personally. All members of Net54 should have a big problem with what Kevin said, imo. Or you can just stick your head in the sand like an ostrich (another bird pun)....and make believe it never happened.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Dan Bretta

Doug Allen came right on this forum and said that Mastro auctions "prepares" cards for grading which included removing creases.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default speaking of auction houses

Wouldn't it be interesting if they disclosed who their consignors were.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:48 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Doug Allen came right on this forum and said that Mastro auctions "prepares" cards for grading which included removing creases.
Very true Dan, and Doug has also been called out before for shady stuff.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/15365...+Beloved+Hobby
Old 05-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Mike Mccullough

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Thank goodness Mastro isnt around anymore.

As a casual highend cardbuyer all this talk of altering, doctering etc,,, is rather disturbing. Im really glad I dont collect oddities, seems like to me this is the biggest area to fraud someone. After reading this the so called experts of detecting this type of behaviour may in fact be the ones to worry about.
Very disturbing.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I respectfully disagree with your last statement. Not even close. I can think of a thousand things that are less worrisome. I don't know if Kevin was talking tongue in cheek in his email but it doesn't appear that way. This puts a nail in that coffin as far as any respect there was on my part....it's completely gone and probably always will be. How could anyone ever trust that person to look at a card and give an unbiased opinion given the statements made? And no, just like our dear Mr.Chan....I ain't buying the "it was just a joke".
When I was reading this thread I came to the very same conclusion as leon.