NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-02-2009, 10:23 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

My take is that this whole story is a fantasy. No one could be this stupid.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:06 PM

Default I'm beginning to think so as well

By the lack of straight answers to simple questions and the creation of this thread to draw attention, I think he's just taking us all for a ride. Has anyone had any dealings with this person, either on the new board or the old one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
My take is that this whole story is a fantasy. No one could be this stupid.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default not me but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_C View Post
By the lack of straight answers to simple questions and the creation of this thread to draw attention, I think he's just taking us all for a ride. Has anyone had any dealings with this person, either on the new board or the old one?
I can verify he is a real person. From all I have seen, read and know I think he is telling the truth. Odd, but that is my take....
Old 09-04-2009, 05:55 PM

Default Turtle Guy (David)

Turtle guy is in fact David as he states. I have known him for at least
15 years. He is honest, very fine and very fair as I have sent him numerous items I didn't have time to list or send to Mastronet and he did it for me. Every time he sold something for me I was paid, More than once items of mine in his possession were forwarded to Mastronet with the money going to me. I am one of the people he recommended to Mastronet. It not only took several messages for Doug Allen at Mastro but David telling him to contact me before it ever happened. Luckily I was not burned in any way in the last Mastronet auction as I had nothing in it. i had 6 lots in a Legendary auction several months ago. All lots sold and I was paid on time. The payment was short over $1,000.00 as some of my cards needed grading and he sent a bunch to PSA without my knowledge. Apparently he didn't know PSA is available in California. Once again I left messages (2) for Doug and also 2 for Mark Theo. Even the Girl taking the messages (Melissa) was to get info and call back and didn't so I sent him an e-mail that was also ignored. When I used Mastronet and something needed to be graded they paid for it every time. I posted this info on a different thread and was called by Doug. The money will be refunded in full ASAP he told me. Lets see what his description of ASAP is.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Chris Stufflestreet

David,

I was at work today (I'm a cable guy) and at a job where I needed to raise a line that had come down, I was getting ready to go up on a ladder when I saw a turtle making its way toward me. It was a residential street without much traffic, so I got down from the ladder and got out of the little guy's way as he passed my work area so he didn't get scared by anything I might do.

Once he passed, I noticed that he was walking toward a street that had more traffic on it. Thinking he might be in danger, I took advantage of the fact that I was wearing an orange vest and hardhat and when the turtle went to cross that street, I went out and stopped the traffic so he could get across. 5 cars stopped; only one of them honked.

But as the guy who had honked passed by, I saw his wife giving him an earful about it.

Once he got across the road, he kept moseying on...and I went back on the ladder and finished up. When I left, I drove down the road and didn't see any sign of the turtle, so it looks like he got to his destination safely.

And I thought of this thread once the moment had passed.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Chris ,much like that story posted previous to yours,growing up I probably killed dozens of turtles thru stupidity or lack of education.I bought those Woolworth turtles.Think any of the millions they sold ever made it past their first year?No.I used to get mail order turtles rom the post office in N.J. from a place called Rattlesnake,Florida.The guy would mix a box of both water and land turtles.But it was the dead of winter.Yeah,they all died in my hands.So I love reading about your encounter,a big thank you from those who have no voice.I am doing my part to make up for all the losses I was guilty of.I've raised from eggs about 150 turtles in the last 20 years.Spent $1,000.00 to save one.True story.And drove it 5,000 miles with others I rescued from death in local pet stores to the Sandhills of Nebraska which is where they were taken from.I think they deserved a better life than a slow death in Florida.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

No anonymity on the board, right? So who is he? I suspect if we had a name and he was either never owed money or already paid, Doug would pick up the batphone and call Leon to clear his name.

Forman owed 200K to Mastro and could not pay so what did they do? Of course they lent him even more money. That is what everyone does in that instance. So maybe Turtle learned something from the way Mastro does business?????
Old 09-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default yes and no

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
No anonymity on the board, right? So who is he? I suspect if we had a name and he was either never owed money or already paid, Doug would pick up the batphone and call Leon to clear his name.

Forman owed 200K to Mastro and could not pay so what did they do? Of course they lent him even more money. That is what everyone does in that instance. So maybe Turtle learned something from the way Mastro does business?????
We have discussed anonymity on the board before. You are correct there is no anonymity as everyone that posts has to send me their contact info. I have turtleguy's info. If you want to email me Greg, I will give you his name, but I don't see any extraordinary reason, as of now, to put his full name out here in public and would appreciate you not doing it if I send it to you. I don't see him fighting or arguing with people. I don't think he's a shill for Legendary/Doug either. I have some other private information that leads me to that thinking too....I too find it strange that someone hasn't gotten paid but yet is allegedly consigning more items. But hey, it's America.....regards
Old 09-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

For all the doubters,I have gotten my payment.It took 6 months but it is in my hands.Doug Allen said that he was trying to to get all consignors paid.The process will take awhile.I think that he is making the effort to close up all those open accounts.No,I don't work for Doug Allen.Over the years ,I consigned or had other collectors consign to Mastronet thousands in items.He did well by me and them and I did well also.I decided not to use threats or lawyers or the FBI.In the end the turtle wins the race,as it's said.Bottomline,we all know that making good on those overdue payments is the key to Legendary's success.There is no escaping that fact and that is just my opinion.Only then will Mastronet be a memory to all of us.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleguy64 View Post
.Bottomline,we all know that making good on those overdue payments is the key to Legendary's success.There is no escaping that fact and that is just my opinion.
I seem to remember some other issues with Mastro that were causing some problems...
Old 09-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Let's hope one day we all ask "Bill who?"
Old 09-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Actually,I have held back on consigning to Legendary until the Mastonet payment came through.I have rules also and being stupid is not one of them.I am building up a consignment for them but that check had to get into my hands first.
I notice not many people take issue with the Dave Forman aspect of this case.I thought that this was the main crux of the problem with people getting paid? Once lawyers get involved,all stops.If that could be settled ,we are probably not blowing off steam about all the non-payment issues.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default ironically....turtle day

Ironically a new member signed up today and we got on the subject of animals...as his login is one of his dear dogs that he had to put down after a long bout with cancer. I told him I am an animal lover ...and I am the one he would see stopping his car in the middle of a highway to rescue a turtle and almost causing wrecks doing so. He then told me that he has saved 32 turtles and his wife gets onto him all of the time about it. My next door neighbor showed me a baby box turtle yesterday, that they have raised and hatched. He is about 2 inches and just the cutest thing. Turtles are cool.....I hope it's ok to talk about turtles since we are talking to "turtleguy".....I think it's better than some other recent threads .
Old 09-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Barry Sloate

David- given what you have just been put through, along with the fact that there are so many auction houses out there to consign to, it does strike us that you are making an odd choice. Since you've gone public with this issue, care to explain your reasons for giving them more material (you of course don't have to). Thank you.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Bless you ,Leon,and anyone else who takes a minute and maybe at personal risk,would save a living thing off the road.I do this on almost a weekly basis.It's uncanny how I just happen by when a turtle is about to enter rush hour traffic.Wish everyone would do the same.Each turtle saved means maybe hundreds more get life down the line.Yes, it is a break talking about this subject and not getting po'ed at recent posts.Life is more important than bickering about $.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleguy64 View Post
I notice not many people take issue with the Dave Forman aspect of this case.I thought that this was the main crux of the problem with people getting paid?
David,

Welcome to the board (belatedly). You will find that most people on this board will treat everyone with respect, but, the truth is, the board is a microcosm of the world in general.

I think your take that Forman is the crux of the case is overly simplistic. His failure to pay should not have impacted you, unless he was the winning bidder on one of your lots. We don't know that. The fact is that Mastro shipped merchandise to bidders prior to securing payment. That poor business practice is the crux of their problem. Had they held the lots, his non-payment would not be as big an issue. Mastro and those consignors could simply decide to sell to the underbidders, or re-auction at a later date. They no longer have that choice.

Instead, Mastro ended up with no payment, no merchandise, and no options.

Forman may end up being involved in a lawsuit with Legendary (if they decide to serve him with the suit) but Mastro's, and now Legendary's, problems go much deeper.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Well,then ,Mastronet was guilty of trust in others and that really screwed up the whole deal.
Thanks for clearing up that Dave Forman aspect of the auction payment problem.
I hope we are not talking about this a year from now.Or even six months from now.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

My name is and always has been David Schulman.I didn't know not posting my name would become a tempest in a teapot.I am real and breathing,I sell and buy as a collector,not a dealer on ebay.I treat people with respect and expect the same in return.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:24 PM
David

Turtle, you forget something! You, in the minimum, increased your chances of getting paid by making your story public and garnering support from those here to publicly speak out in support of you. I doubt you would have had the success you have had in getting paid without the help of others here putting pressure on Doug Allen by continuing to keep this issue on the table, FOR YOU!!!

In my opinion you would have gotten no where in your quest for green without those on this forum and you should recognize that before you go touting what a great guy Legendary is. You should recognize that had you not had help here you probably would never have even gotten enough money out of Doug Allen to buy apples for your amniotes.

Last edited by daviddbreadman; 09-02-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:08 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

I'm on this board because I heard that it can help with the non-payment.And I'm grateful for it.So here is a big belated thank you to anyone who helped make things right.