NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-31-2010, 02:56 PM
Frank Wakefield

Arlett played on the west coast, in the sunshine... a regular home and away travel schedule, in front of friends; instead of a more eratic schedule in front of a bunch of yankees. In the majors he wasn't a regular, and played in the cold and crap weather... In the PCL he could get paid for playing about 8 months, only for about 6 in the majors. He may well have made more money in the majors. And we lack the perspective of the times; out west in the 20s they took the PCL about as seriously as the 'major' leagues back east. Today the stratification of the majors and minors is more significant. There are several players in the PCL back then who chose it over the 'majors'.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:15 PM
Todd Schultz

Default Yeah Frank

Buzz really hated Yankees and cold, "crap" weather. That's why he continued to play his last six minor league seasons up North, retired in Minnesota, operated a business for thirty years, died and is buried there.

Who's the one who lacks perspective?
Old 10-31-2010, 08:36 PM
Frank Wakefield

Maybe I lack perspective.

Maybe Arlett loved the north, yankees, and cold weather. Even if he did, there were a bunch of guys in the PCL who didn't, and played there instead of in the majors. I stand by the last 3 sentences. And Minnesota isn't New York or Philadelphia.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 10-31-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:09 PM
Todd Schultz

Rhett already made the point about the PCL being considered essentially as important as the major leagues. Your comments were more of a snide dig at the North, which I chose to disprove by Mr. Arlett's life decisions. And while you claim that you know a bunch of guys preferred not to play with Yankees in crap weather, I would submit that the vast majority of players who decided to stay home in CA chose not to go East rather than North. Put differently, those players were not inclined to play in the land of cotton either.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:19 PM
Steve Birmingham

All good points why someone might only play one year in the majors but be that good in the PCL which was probably close to major league.

Another thing to consider is his personality. An oldtimer spoke to the club I'm in and commented that counting semi pro and industrial leagues that were scouted almost as much as a minor league there were about 175000 people playing organised baseball compared to about 17000 today. He said that guys like Cobb, Ruth, Williams etc could get away with being a bit troublesome. But if a player was merely above average overall - Like a guy who could hit but not field well- And if they had any issues like wanting more money or partying too much or just not getting along with a manager or star, they were gone. Replaced by one of the very many good but not great ball players that wanted the job and were pleasant and hard working.

Not that he had problems, I don't know anything about him. But it's another reason why some guys that look good in the books didn't last.

Steve B

Steve B
Old 10-31-2010, 09:48 PM
Frank Wakefield

I used a little "y"....

And I reckon he'd have not thought much of the south, either. Nor Jamaica, nor Canada. But the 'majors' weren't in the south, nor Jamaica, nor Canada. They were up north.

It wasn't a dig, sorry if you took it as such. It's just that from what I've read about the PCL, the players made about as much playing the long seasons there as they did as a starting major leaguer back, wait for it.... east. And the weather was less pleasant. One time zone in the PCL, no heat of St. Louis in the summer...
Old 11-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

And would he rather be a big fish in a small pond (PCL .342 hitter) or a very average fish in a big pond (MLB)? Sounds like Buzz was made for the DH.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default sounds like

His hitting and fielding sound like a present day (or world series) Vlad..... ouch.