NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-07-2010, 05:43 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Default Just a few of 'em left.

If you see one., Please thank a WWII vet today!

Old 12-07-2010, 06:11 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I was involved in the opening of the D-Day Memorial ten years ago or so in Bedford County. Pretty awesome.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:53 AM

There is a Pearl Harbor survivor living down the street from my shop.
I've spoken with him and his lovely wife many times and thanked him for his service.

Sadly, most people today dont realize the importance of WW2 and how it was the genesis for changes which are still affecting the world today.

My thanks goes out to all veterans.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:20 AM

My dad is approaching 88 and a WW2 vet. It is sad how so few WW2 vets are around anymore. They really were an incredible generation.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Steve Murray

Having dinner with my father-in-law tomorrow night. I'll be sure to thank him for his service.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Jon Canfield

I've posted this before on the memorabilia side, but felt it was appropriate to re-tell the story here.

My grandfather piloted a landing craft (think opening seen of Saving Private Ryan) on Utah Beach during the the battle of Normandy. As he was making one of his runs to shore, enemy fire struck and disabled a landing craft next to his which was being piloted by his bunk mate and good friend. After dropping his troops off, my grandfather turned back to the disabled craft and pulled off the troops, including the dead and wounded. Upon returning to the ship, his bunk mate would succumb to his injuries and his possessions were given to my grandfather to ensure the family received them. One of those possessions was his landing map. A few hours into the battle, the maps were then collected and destroyed, as key information was contained on the maps (such as subsequent strike points). My grandfather turned in the second map he received with his bunk mates possessions, but kept his own. Before he passed away, my grandfather passed the map along to me. While I'm not a collector of military items, I have been told it is one of only a handful surviving maps from the Battle of Normandy.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Jim Mac

Default Bedford, Va. D Day Memorial visit

My wife and I visited Bedford, Va. this past October and had the privilage of visiting the D Day Memorial there. My son and daughter-in-law live in Bedford and we all went to this most amazing and humbling tribute to our living world war 2 veterans as well as the many who died on the beachs of Normandy. I was born on July 21, 1945 and have a family of WW2 veterans. My father, my uncles and my aunts all served with great patrotism and courage,two of whom died in the Pacific arena. My father in law is now 88 years old and was on the Yorktown. Oh how he loves to tell the stories of courageous young Americans fighting for the freedoms we now many times take for granted. God bless all the remaining WW2 veterans and their service to our great country..
Old 12-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Barry Arnold

Default a few

great thread, steve.
the generation of true giants.
my father,who died some 21 years ago, was one of the WWII vets with a purple heart,2
bronze stars, and more.

to the few left, my highest admiration.

best,
barry
Old 12-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Johnny S

My father inlaw is a WWII vet, on the baseball tip he grew up a Yankees fan and saw Ruth, Gehrig, ect ect but doesn't like to talk about the war at all but every now and then will tell a story. The one he told that I always think about is one day overseas he got a telegram that informed him that his father had passed away six months earlier. It's hard to fathom that it took six months for him to get word on his father when these days people get texts and emails from friends and family letting them know they are being shot at up on a mountain side as it is happening.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:56 PM

Jon, thanks for the view of the map. Have been interested in D day since I was a kid.

I am fortunate to see WWII veterans almost every day in my career. I have seen many die also. It is terrible. I do try and thank then whenever I can.

As Archie Bunker called it:the big one.

Thanks for the thread.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:17 PM
T0dd M@rcum

If you ever get a chance to read The Bedford Boys, it is highly recommended. It is the story of one town where virtually all their young men were killed in the first wave. I got a chance to meet Ray Nance, who died a few years back at 94.