NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Tony Quinn

Default Zeenut Questions

Happy New Year all! Does anyone know of (or have) a list of all the MLB HOF'ers to have appeared in the Zeenut series? In addition, would anyone have any info (or opinions) as to the scarcity level of each card and a ballpark average price (let's say VG condition) of each card? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 01-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
Happy New Year all! Does anyone know of (or have) a list of all the MLB HOF'ers to have appeared in the Zeenut series? In addition, would anyone have any info (or opinions) as to the scarcity level of each card and a ballpark average price (let's say VG condition) of each card? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

There are thousands of different Zeenuts with hundreds of major league players. You might want to be a bit more specific in the question though someone might actually have a list already made. Otherwise, the best thing you could do is use the Krause SCD (big book of baseball) and get the information from there.

When talking about values you need to be a bit more specific than "vg". There is quite an increase in value for ones that still have the coupon attached. As a general rule the earlier ones are more expensive. (1913-1922).....hope this helps a little bit. regards
Old 01-03-2011, 10:01 AM

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have another Zeenut question, if that is OK?

I have heard that nobody has an an actual box or wrapper that Zeenuts originally came in? Is that true? It seems that since these were issued over a long period of time that somebody would have kept a box or wrapper or one would have been found but I have never seen one?

Does anyone have a scan or picture of a box or wrapper to share? If no one has a box or wrapper then how much interest would there be if one were to show up and how much might it sell for? (No, I don't have one, I am just curious about).

David
Old 01-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Tony Quinn

Thanks Leon. I am completely unaware to the finer points of ZeeNuts so please excuse my ignorance about pricing and condition. I was just trying to guage whether it was feasable to start considering picking some up here and there. I figured starting with researching the Hall of Famers would be a good test.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default all depends....

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
Thanks Leon. I am completely unaware to the finer points of ZeeNuts so please excuse my ignorance about pricing and condition. I was just trying to guage whether it was feasable to start considering picking some up here and there. I figured starting with researching the Hall of Famers would be a good test.
Zeenuts are some really neat cards and have some really great poses. I have tried to get one from each year with a coupon (still missing 1920, hint hint), and not buying them all at once. There were quite a few HOF'ers in the set too....No worries on ignorance. We all start at 0, in the knowledge dept. You might search the board as there is some great information here in previous threads....
LL
Old 01-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Phil Garry

The following list was posted in a Zeenut HOF'ers thread by Andrew on Net 54 a couple of years ago:

Zeenut HOFers by year

1911 None
1912 Bancroft
1912 Bancroft (HRK)
1913 Heilmann
1914 Bancroft
1915 Covaleski, Heilmann
1916 Chance, Southworth
1917 Chance
1918 Crawford
1919 Vance
1920 Crawford
1921 Crawford
1922 Lazzeri
1923 P Waner
1924 Cochrane, P Waner
1925 Lazzeri, L Waner, P Waner
1926 Averill, L Waner
1927 Averill, Hooper
1928 Averill, Lombardi
1929 Gomez, Lombardi
1930 Lombardi
1931 None
1932 None
1933-36 Dimaggio (2 poses)
1937-38 None
Old 01-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Mike Dugan

Is the Horne guide to Zeenuts still available anywhere? I know that there has been someone listing one on eBay of late but to honest their rating is so low I have resisted the urge to bid.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Tony Quinn

Thanks for the list Phil, it's greatly appreciated. Also a big thanks to Frank Wakefield for contacting me with additional info. You guys are awesome!
Old 01-03-2011, 09:06 PM

Default Zeenuts are not easy

The 1924-30 range of Zeenut HOF players are probably the easiest to come across, especially the 1927-30 players. The DiMaggio cards are out there too, but will cost an appendage or two. Of the other ones I have seen on most people's wantlists over the years but rarely appear would probably be the 1913 Heilmann, 1915 Covaleskie and Heilmann, 1918 Crawford and 1919 Vance. Any of the ones that are first appearances on a card (such as the 1919 Vance, 1923 P.Waner etc...there are a lot of them) are nowadays popular and command a premium. In general they are tough to come by.

A good resource for Major League players that appeared in the Zeenut issues is an article by the late collector Don MacPherson (with the aid of Buck Barker) that was published in Lew Lipset's Old Judge Newsletter, I believe in the 1980's. It lists the 860+ MLB players that the authors laboriously researched and indentified as having appeared over the span of Zeenut issues, including the year and identified team shown on each years card.

Brian
Old 01-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Steve Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
Is the Horne guide to Zeenuts still available anywhere? I know that there has been someone listing one on eBay of late but to honest their rating is so low I have resisted the urge to bid.
Your loss.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:17 PM

Zeenut HOFers are some of my favorite cards. As Brian posted, Zeenut HOFers range from reasonably attainable (1927 Hooper, 1930 Lombardi etc) to virtually impossible to locate (1915 Covaleskie). Thanks to Phil for posting the list from a few years ago.

Mark Macrae is the person to ask in regard to Zeenut packaging. I am not aware of any Zeenut packaging that has survived.

Hi Mike D., PM sent in regard to the Horne book. I was only a wee lad when the Horne book was published. I have only seen photocopies of the original (such as the ones sold often on eBay).

Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2z20crawford.jpg (24.3 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg 2z17chance.jpg (23.5 KB, 171 views)
Old 01-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Rhett Yeakley

There are resources out there with the info you are looking for. The HOfers have really gotten popular as of late and are commanding more money than they ever have in the past. Some are very difficult, some are moderately so and some are fairly common, I'd have to say of all the HOfers the MOST frequently offered are the Joe DiMaggio cards BUT they still command DiMaggio prices.

Here are a few I've been able to pick up...

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 01-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Frank Wakefield

I don't think Gomez has been posted yet.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:57 PM

Old 01-03-2011, 11:08 PM
Brian T.

Killer collection, Darren!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Just wanted to add that the most desired/ most expensive cards are not the Hall of Famers.

the 1919 BlackSox players are big $$$
the Jimmy Claxton (1st black in 20th Century) is also a big $$ card
NFL HOFer Ernie Nevers sells for more than most of the HOFers too, same with the Fatty Arbuckle card
Old 01-04-2011, 12:38 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Frank, no mention of the Thorpe? He's Definitely among the top 3-4 Zeenuts made...

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 01-04-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:28 AM
Ken Wirt

Nice thread and fantastic cards, guys! As a HOF collector, I'm kinda ashamed that I don't have any of them represented on a Zeenut. May have to change that someday. And glad to finally see a list of Zeenut Hofers, Phil! I've always been curious about that.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Sean BH

Here's my favorite...took a while to find it but was excited to get it in my hands.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:10 AM
David McDonald

Looks like most of the Zeenut HOFers have been posted. Darren the Cat and Rhett the Yeakley are the Studs of the Thread. Nary a one on Phil's list have I, so, because I've nothing better to do, I'll post a few Zeenutters who have a HOFer tie-in to their story.

Charlie Root - Cubs ace served up a famous home run
Dom DiMaggio - brother of Vince's other brother

Aaron Ward - on April 18, 1923 he got the very first Yankee base hit in the House that Ruth Built
Babe Dahlgren - his predecessor's predecessor was Wally Pipp