NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-31-2015, 06:23 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It takes only a couple of guys with big egos and wallets to drive up the Mantles. IMO very hard to tell if it will hold the new price levels, much less continue to rise.
right but they were saying that years ago when it was approaching 100k that it wouldn't maintain that level...plus maybe they lose out on one or two of these types of buys and only make out once...but if bought the mantle 10 years ago you are making 350k and if the card went to zero after buying it 10 years ago you are losing 60k so could lose 5 times and be right once and still make money....if you have that bankroll

...I would hope the guys that spend 400k have some type of business background..who knows.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-31-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:41 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
... ultimately just a picture of some guy on a piece of cardboard.

You realize that you're on a message board that specializes in pictures of guys on pieces of cardboard, right?
Old 10-31-2015, 08:07 PM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
You realize that you're on a message board that specializes in pictures of guys on pieces of cardboard, right?
Well, yeah. I'm just suggesting that there might be other things more significant to spend half a million dollars on than a picture of Mickey Mantle.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:13 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Well, yeah. I'm just suggesting that there might be other things more significant to spend half a million dollars on than a picture of Mickey Mantle.
500K to that buyer may be like 1k to you or I....it all the same thing..i know lots of non collectors who would say there may things more significant to buy other than a baseball picture even for 40 bucks...
Old 10-31-2015, 08:29 PM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
500K to that buyer may be like 1k to you or I....it all the same thing..i know lots of non collectors who would say there may things more significant to buy other than a baseball picture even for 40 bucks...

It's not really the same as far as the point I was making. It wasn't about relative wealth. My point was about the significance of a 52 Mantle.

Using the coin example, for $40, I can buy some cards or I can buy some coins. None of the coins in the $40 range are going to be significant historical artifacts. They're going to be common just like the cards.

But for $500,000, I could possibly buy any number of coins with great historical significance, that far outweighs a 52 Mantle. I could buy a Roman Sestertius commemorating the opening of the Colosseum in 80 A.D. for instance.

Maybe a 52 Mantle is worth $500,000 to some people but I have a different perspective.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
3 years ago, a PSA 8 52 MM was around $80k, wow.

Wagner, similar huge increase...but...

The Plank however, has been flat for 20 years, no huge spike.
This is a Card that Always brings back a Memory of a "Youth iN the Hobby!"

Back iN the DaY... a 14 year old who was buying some "cards of interest" from me, Purchased a PSA 4 Plank for 6 Grand!
(He didn't get the Plank from me though!)

His Dad was backing his Buys...
As the Youngster continued to put together "The Set of the Monster".
At THaT TiMe... I thought THaT having a Dad with Cash & HiS BaCKiN was
SuCH a GRaND INVesTMeNT!!!

The Plank Card Reminds me of THeM...
And HiS DaD I'm Sure Will Forever Believe THaT...

"HiS BoY iS a Genius!!!"

KNoW How Cool iS THaT!?!?
Old 10-31-2015, 08:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
It's not really the same as far as the point I was making. It wasn't about relative wealth. My point was about the significance of a 52 Mantle.

Using the coin example, for $40, I can buy some cards or I can buy some coins. None of the coins in the $40 range are going to be significant historical artifacts. They're going to be common just like the cards.

But for $500,000, I could possibly buy any number of coins with great historical significance, that far outweighs a 52 Mantle. I could buy a Roman Sestertius commemorating the opening of the Colosseum in 80 A.D. for instance.

Maybe a 52 Mantle is worth $500,000 to some people but I have a different perspective.
For a half million you could get a pretty respectable work of art as well.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:46 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
For a half million you could get a pretty respectable work of art as well.
I pretty sure however is buying the mantle also has nice works of art too...
Old 10-31-2015, 09:12 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
+1
I would much rather have a picture of Babe Ruth.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
They aren't buying the picture of Mantle, they are buying the PSA flip.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:25 PM
Jeff

There's probably more than a bit of truth in that Peter.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 10-31-2015, 09:28 PM

$500,000 to these bidders is probably just pocket change to them.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:33 PM
Don

Quote:
Excellent point.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:20 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
right cause you sell the holder not the card......until i ever see a post on ebay that says 'bad card for the grade' or 'techinal aspects of the card are much worse than the grade'

Though like when i see a seller say 'good card for the grade' then i assume any of his other postings are not good for the grade....just like a realtor or baseball cards seller saying 'priced to sell'...to me than means every other listing from that seller or realtor that doesnt say that is 'priced not to sell' when they are the ones using that priced to sell lingo...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 11-01-2015 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:00 AM
Chris

Quote:
right cause you sell the holder not the card......until i ever see a post on ebay that says 'bad card for the grade' or 'techinal aspects of the card are much worse than the grade'

Though like when i see a seller say 'good card for the grade' then i assume any of his other postings are not good for the grade....just like a realtor or baseball cards seller saying 'priced to sell'...to me than means every other listing from that seller or realtor that doesnt say that is 'priced not to sell' when they are the ones using that priced to sell lingo...
Huh?
Old 11-01-2015, 07:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
Huh?
Law of exclusion. It's the opposite of the law of inclusions. The law of inclusions says something that is inside something else came first. It's why the chicken came before the egg too .

He is saying something that is excluded necessarilly has a characteristic of being "not" what the other offer is including. I think I just made less sense than he did.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:17 AM
Chris

Haha, thanks Leon! My takeaway: A high grade card is an egg and you should buy a chicken before you sell all your eggs.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:59 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Whoa.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 844.jpg (37.3 KB, 404 views)

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:45 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Law of exclusion. It's the opposite of the law of inclusions. The law of inclusions says something that is inside something else came first. It's why the chicken came before the egg too .

He is saying something that is excluded necessarilly has a characteristic of being "not" what the other offer is including. I think I just made less sense than he did.
correct..not sure how someone didnt understand it.

sort of like saying to a girl 'did you lose weight, you look nice'...girl says 'so yesterday when you saw me, i looked fat and ugly?'
Old 11-01-2015, 03:52 PM
Steve Birmingham

A fine example of how all collectibles are more about things like how popular the subject is and how people relate to the items.

I wonder ---Ok, not really since I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

If you put The 52 Mantle, the 1795 gold coin and a half million dollar piece of art in three storefronts next to each other sideshow style charging some minimal bit to see it - Which would have the longest line?

The likely answer isn't the one I like, but that's sort of the point.

Steve B
Old 11-01-2015, 04:01 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
A fine example of how all collectibles are more about things like how popular the subject is and how people relate to the items.

If you put The 52 Mantle, the 1795 gold coin and a half million dollar piece of art in three storefronts next to each other sideshow style charging some minimal bit to see it - Which would have the longest line?

Steve B
Very interesting, I know I would be in the art line everyday and twice on Sunday. 52 mantles are far from rare and I couldn't care less about a chunk of metal but that piece of art is a different story.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:20 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Very interesting, I know I would be in the art line everyday and twice on Sunday. 52 mantles are far from rare and I couldn't care less about a chunk of metal but that piece of art is a different story.
all of this isn't about popularity..what costs more I guess doesn't always mean whats most popular..but this is about money....as there was an argument of having 'money left over' ....tom cruise makes more money in a movie than LeBron james makes in a season on an nba contract....is he more popular.? who knows but get gets paid more money..

popular or not..rare or not...someone is willing to pay more for a 52 mantle high grade then the coin we are talking about..
Old 11-01-2015, 04:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

Steve B
I would buy a mid grade Mantle and head for the art line.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:32 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I would totally be in the art line with you also sir.

The constant argument in my mind is between buying cards or art and to be honest my best investments have consistently been in the art world.

Lately, the cards win most because it's a hell of a lot easier to slide a card past the wife than something appearing on the wall.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:33 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I would totally be in the art line with you also sir.

The constant argument in my mind is between buying cards or art and to be honest my best investments have consistently been in the art world.

Lately, the cards win most because it's a hell of a lot easier to slide a card past the wife than something appearing on the wall.
except if you go on a cruise your wife will bother you to buy some peter max artwork that has like one brush stroke of original art on it...and she will want the artwork and to also finish her free champagne.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:57 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
I would buy a mid grade Mantle and head for the art line.
If I had 500k to blow on art or cards I think I'd get the Mantle in a 6 or 7 and have enough left over for a t206 wagner psa or sgc 1.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:42 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Right now I know I am in the minority, but I would run from 52' Mantles at this moment like buying a home in the spring of 06'.

They will never be cheap but the market can't sustain this.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Larry

Quote:
right but the mantle could be a million dollar card in 8 years...it did go from 60k to 400k in 10 years afterall...how that gold eagle doing during that time..
That's about 19% compounded annually, which is a figure a lot of quality collectibles have reached or surpassed, but they usually slow down in their rate of appreciation by the time they reach that level or before. Lots and lots of the big boys want that card in that condition and centered!

All the best guys,

Larry
Old 11-02-2015, 04:07 PM
Larry

Quote:
That wasn't really my point though. A 1795 Eagle is America's first gold coin, historically significant, 200+ years old, made of gold, and much rarer than a 52 Mantle. A 52 Mantle is ultimately just a picture of some guy on a piece of cardboard.
The '52 Topps Mantle is a card that connects you to the player and takes you back to the time, a time when rooting for the Yankees was like rooting for U.S. Steel, and the Mick was overflowing with the indominatable vigor of youth, chomping at the bit to perform wondrous feats (such as winning 12 pennants and 7 World Series in the course of his first 14 years in the league)! It's a slice of both the time and his life, just as the 1795 coin is a slice of early America. Your last statement is the same as saying that the 1795 $10 gold piece is just a piece of metal dug out of some rock or stream and stamped into a circle under pressure a long time ago. That is simply not the way collectors view Americana. For a baseball lover, one who lives and breathes its history, the Mantle is far more than likely the more significant item of the two.

Best regards,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 11-02-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

+1 Collectors have more passion when they connect with something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
The '52 Topps Mantle is a card that connects you to the player and takes you back to the time, a time when rooting for the Yankees was like rooting for U.S. Steel, and the Mick was overflowing with the indominatable vigor of youth, chomping at the bit to perform wondrous feats (such as winning 12 pennants and 7 World Series in the course of his first 14 years in the league)! It's a slice of both the time and his life, just as the 1795 coin is a slice of early America. Your last statement is the same as saying that the 1795 $10 gold piece is just a piece of metal dug out of some rock or stream and stamped into a circle under pressure a long time ago. That is simply not the way collectors view Americana. For a baseball lover, one who lives and breathes its history, the Mantle is far more than likely the more significant item of the two.

Best regards,

Larry
Old 11-03-2015, 10:29 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default 1952 Mantle PSA 8

Anyone for floating the rumor that this card appears to be trimmed?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 11-03-2015, 10:39 PM
J0$H B^ck!ey

I'm currently winning Gettysburg Eddie =)
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 11-03-2015, 10:42 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Josh- since you have THAT much money, please send me a PM so I can give you my mailing address for any extra $100 bills you have lying around.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 11-03-2015, 10:53 PM

So is it Fair ta say that Players like Harper, Trout, Goldschmidt & the Likes will be all the Rage 20-40 years from now!
The New Money will have ta Collect someone... RiGHT!?

Maybe that's why the new shinny Rookie's are goin fir crazy money even before this boys even touch the Major's...

Ohhh and I'm not one who believes that the Mantles are gonna do a nose dive when us baby boomers die off... Sure they'll be a baseline, but a nosedive is a much different theory.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:15 PM
Richard L.

Anyone notice a couple of bid retractions on the Plank? Same bidder is leading on the Mantle, perhaps all in on the Mick or? Has about 30 bids on that auction. Can never understand why someone needs to bid 30/40 times on one lot?

Last edited by nsaddict; 11-05-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

The timing of the two bids, and retractions, is odd.

Member Id: -***o( 1271Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999) Retracted: US $62,000.00
Bid: Nov-04-15 21:53:00 PST
Retracted: Nov-04-15 21:54:20 PST
Member Id: -***o( 1271Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999) Retracted: US $60,349.00
Bid: Nov-04-15 21:54:39 PST
Retracted: Nov-05-15 12:32:57 PST
Old 11-05-2015, 07:08 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

My guess is PWCC cancels all bids from that guy. And then eBay cancels the account.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:44 PM
John

A thread on CU mentions bidder 1271 as well. I was able to click on the link earlier and besides having so many bids on the Mantle, the bidder had a relatively high number (can't recall how many) of relatively recent bid retractions as well.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:14 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
The timing of the two bids, and retractions, is odd.

Member Id: -***o( 1271Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999) Retracted: US $62,000.00
Bid: Nov-04-15 21:53:00 PST
Retracted: Nov-04-15 21:54:20 PST
Member Id: -***o( 1271Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999) Retracted: US $60,349.00
Bid: Nov-04-15 21:54:39 PST
Retracted: Nov-05-15 12:32:57 PST
not so good....

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...p2047675.l2565

Old 11-05-2015, 08:56 PM
pete ullman

Well we've seen it b4...are we seeing it again? Will the mantle and plank sell legitimitely???
Old 11-05-2015, 09:04 PM
Don

1271 is the high bidder on the Mantle.

Maybe he checked his wallet and realized he only had $470,000 and just couldn't afford the additional 60k for the Plank.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Well we've seen it b4...are we seeing it again? Will the mantle and plank sell legitimitely???
This Plank sold for 75k in 2010, so if it does sell it will probably result in a big loss. Does anyone feel this card in overgraded?
Old 11-06-2015, 08:21 AM
Richard L.

He is the high bidder again, what the heck is going on?
Old 11-06-2015, 09:46 AM
Don

He checked under the couch cushions and found the 60k he needed for the Plank.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:51 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Not Very many....that will be a great auction to watch.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T206...YAAOSwo6lWMm8d

62k and counting......great card
Old 11-07-2015, 07:02 PM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
This Plank sold for 75k in 2010, so if it does sell it will probably result in a big loss. Does anyone feel this card in overgraded?
I think the card is graded at about the right grade. Back is a little questionable but the front is pretty damn nice.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%

Last edited by Joshchisox08; 11-07-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 03:32 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Plank ended at $71,732.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 11-09-2015, 06:38 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
Plank ended at $71,732.

Steve
That seems like a strong price. Good for all involved.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:13 PM
PWCC Marketplace

Default PWCC Response

Wanted to quickly chime in on this auction as there was some discussion over a single bidder with a feedback score of 1271.

The bidder in question has eBay ID: d-drodeo

This member is an aggressive participant in the hobby and bids regularly with us, as well as most catalog auction houses.

I want to first be clear that bid retractions are something we absolutely despise and are working very hard with eBay to bring about some changes (hoping to announce some progress on this in the coming weeks).

Some further color on this auction is that after the retractions were issued, I was informed by eBay and they had actually retracted the second bid themselves in response to a prior retraction which was issued by d-drodeo (they also manually removed a bid on a 1954 Banks PSA 8). We have empowered eBay to monitor our auctions and take action if/when impropriety occurs and in this case they acted in response to this users initial retraction which was in violation of policy. eBay us testing some news tools currently and those tools are not yet fully vetted; case in point, it still appears that the retractions occurred at the hand of d-drodeo when they should say 'administrative cancellation' or something similar.

Once the dust settled we reached out to d-drodeo and explained the impropriety of having retracted the first bid. They understood our concern and then agreed to reinstate the first retracted bid at $62,000. They apologized for their actions and said what many people have said before... "I didn't realize it was against the rules".

This is a great example of a system which is flawed. eBay has rules on bid retractions but they don't enforce them and the only way we can educate users on our personal company policies is after that first retraction has been placed. eBay needs to enforce their own rules and we are working with them to accomplish this.

We can also say with confidence that none of the other 9 retractions on d-drodeo's account have been placed with PWCC Auctions, otherwise this matter would have been addressed at an earlier time.

Regards,

Brent Huigens
PWCC Auctions
Old 11-09-2015, 07:44 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Thank you for reaching out to confirm the bids were validated.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.