NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Default Amazing find of unopened boxes (Star Player Candy, Tattoo orbits, many more)

Posted By: Brad Green

Here are pictures of some of Rob's other Whiz Bangs... (Posted here with Rob's permission)

[linked image]

Old 03-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Default Amazing find of unopened boxes (Star Player Candy, Tattoo orbits, many more)

And one final post with Rob's permission... Here is Rob's catalog description of the Whiz Bangs. My Grove Whiz Bang is (at the moment) the only known Whiz Bang outside of Rob's new find. The description below explains that all of the Whiz Bangs have holes in the middle. Originally I thought the holes in my Grove Whiz Bang were staple holes, but it is more likely that they were used to launch the Whiz Bangs with a string.

"Circa 1932 Frank H. Fleer Corp. "Whiz-Bang" Gum Box with 83 Cards

Presented is what is perhaps the most remarkable and significant discovery of all the boxes and packs included in the extraordinary find of unopened gum boxes offered in this auction. This display box for Whiz-Bang Chewing Gum, issued by the Frank H. Fleer Corporation of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, is remarkable for its inclusion of a heretofore unknown card set featuring notable Major League stars and Hollywood celebrities. (The names "Whiz" and "Bang" appear, respectively, on either side of the label.) The set is of extraordinary quality. The premiums, which are circular in design (each 3 inches in diameter) with four triangular protrusions, feature portrait images of each subject with his name printed along the base (along with team or movie studio affiliation in most cases). A spiral pattern is printed on the reverse. Color variations exist for most of the cards offered here (orange, yellow, or green borders). A total of eighty-three premium cards, representing sixteen different stars (believed to be a complete set), are included in the box, all of which remain in pristine condition. The three baseball players in the set, all Hall of Famers (Grove, Hartnett, and Goslin) are represented by a total of only fifteen cards including duplicates. These cards have literally never been touched, and have remained in the confines of this original box, protected from all elements including light, since 1932. It is simply remarkable that this set has not been catalogued and has remained completely unknown until now, but that is exactly the case. The cards are all the more amazing due to their extraordinary high quality. These are extremely sturdy high-quality cards, beautifully produced with exceptionally high manufacturing standards. They are just great-looking cards. The eighty-three premium cards offered here represent the entire find. No cards have been removed. To the best of our knowledge, all known examples in the world are included here in this lot.

The number of cards for each subject is noted in parentheses. The set includes the following: Warner Baxter (4), Ed Brendel (1), Joe E. Brown (2), Gary Cooper (12), Hoot Gibson (1), Goose Goslin (5), Lefty Grove (6), Gabby Hartnett (4), Buck Jones (9), Tom Keen (1), Ken Maynard (7), Wallace McDonald (12), Jack Oakie (6), George OBrien (4), Chief Thunderbird (4), and Ted Wells (5).

While this is a previously unknown issue, we are fortunate that the box includes a manufacturers counter-display box insert that provides valuable information about these cards and their method of distribution. The gold-colored insert reads: Taka-Flyer! Real Bubble Gum 2 sticks 1 cent Boomerang Flyer Free with every White Stick Mr. Dealer. Sell gum 2 sticks for 1 cent. Give Boomerang Flyer to purchaser getting WHITE STICK. Packed 300 sticks 270 pink sticks 30 white sticks 30 Boomerang Flyers The only prize package giving purchaser 2 picks for 1 cent. The box houses eleven five-cent packs of Whiz-Bang Gum (identified on the packaging as Frank H. Fleer Corp. products, hence the attribution to Fleer). The center compartment contains 145 individual sticks of gum, each housed in a nondescript colored wrapper. As noted on the counter display insert, some of these individual gum sticks are white, and if selected by the customer it would entitle him or her to a free boomerang flyer. Also included in the box are a quantity of colored strings, which appear to have a function related to the flyer. While we cannot state with certainty, it appears that the string was used in some manner to launch the boomerang flyer. Each card has two very tiny factory-punched holes in the center, and the string was most likely threaded through the holes in a manner that would then help either propel or twirl the card in the air. Although the set is undated, the Lefty Grove card pictures him as a member of the Philadelphia As, which would define the cards as issued in 1933 at the latest (Groves last season with Philadelphia was in 1933, and the Philadelphia-based Fleer Corporation would not picture Grove in an incorrect uniform, let alone do so in such an elaborate high-quality production including such a relatively modest number of cards). The box (12.5 x 8.5 x 1 inches) has imperfections (including torn flaps and numerous tears) but the interior components are all in impeccable condition, looking just as they did when originally issued. Reserve $5,000. Estimate (open)."

Old 03-27-2009, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JohnnyH

Brad that is amazing ! What did you do when you saw the scan and realized what it probably was? What an incredible discovery. Are you going to take a loan so you can get the rest of the Groves ?

Old 03-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

What's even more amazing is that Brad has so many Lefty Grove items that he didn't even remember his "glove tag" when he first saw the Whiz Bangs.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Butch & Co.

[ "While we cannot state with certainty, it appears that the string was used in some manner to launch the boomerang flyer." ]

Har! You young whippersnappers. None 'o yas recognizes a whizzer when ya sees one? We make 'em at home outta restaurant drink coasters for our grandkids...

Old 03-28-2009, 02:14 AM
Administrator

Johnny:

I could not believe my eyes when I saw the "glove tag", but I had a pretty good idea when I saw it that it was a Boomerang Flyer. I guess it was about the same feeling that a person gets when they first see a card listed on eBay that they've been looking for for 10 years. It's just an exciting feeling. Except in this case, I didn't have to wait 7 days to bid on it!

As Beyonce says in her Cox commercials, it might be time for an "upgrade". Of course, I would need to go in within someone else to bring home the other Boomerangs. Anyone interested???

Paul:

LOL! The "glove tag" was on the Miscellaneous page on my Grove website and is not a page that I go to often. That's a good reason to have everything documented with a scan. If I hadn't had a scan of it and didn't have it on my website, I might not have found the glove tag for many more years.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Brad, it looks like you'll have 6 chances to upgrade!

Old 03-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

to anyone obsessed over the ca. 1930-31 Exhibit PC back issues and related strip cards.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc