NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for BSelling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on Ebay
Babe Ruth Cards
t206 Ty Cobb
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Baseball T201-T217
Baseball E90-E107
T205 Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Goudey Cards
Vintage Baseball Memorabilia
Baseball Exhibit Cards
Baseball Strip Cards
Baseball Baking Cards
Sporting News Cards
Play Ball Cards
Joe DiMaggio Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Bowman 1951-1955
Football Cards

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 06-18-2021, 12:17 PM
Goldin Auctions Goldin Auctions is offline
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by japhi View Post
Those sales were "made" to pump the auction house, not the card IMO.. At 20% BP they only needed to pick up 5MM in additional consignments to get a positive ROI, even with the PSA 10 @ 200K. They likely picked up significantly more then that, the press on those sales was worth more then the value of the cards.

And I doubt the cards were paid for in the true sense of the word, it's generally understood they were "purchased" by investors in the auction house - Goldin raised something like 50MM prior to that auction. I'm guess these cards we some sort of 'in kind' transfer.

Either way, a whole bunch of BS, those sales were a joke when they happened and look even more ridiculous now.
Matt Landry
As a company we do not make it a habit to respond to every comment on various forum message boards, however this is an out of line statement, surprised you would make such a public claim.
Please note the following
1. the 2 Jordan PSA 10s sold in January were purchased by 2 different, extremely well known wealthy US businessmen. Both cards still reside in each of their collections, both of which are 8 figure collections. We wish we could disclose the winners, but unless they do themselves we take client confidentiality seriously.
2. Neither of the 2 individuals are shareholders or investors in Goldin Auctions.
3. Both transactions were quickly paid for.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 06-18-2021, 12:57 PM
Lorewalker's Avatar
Lorewalker Lorewalker is offline
Chase
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 350
Default

There have been 58 sales of Jordan 10s according to VCP since Jan 2020, at which time and for the LONGEST time, this was a 40K card. The breakdown of the 58 sales is as follows:

ebay seller manontherock 2
REA 3
Probstein123 4
Single Sales by individual ebay sellers and auction houses 7
Heritage 8
PWCC or PWCC Vault 12 (excluding the example that just sold for 180K which is now gone from VCP)
Goldin 22
__________________
( h @ $ e A n + l e y
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 06-18-2021, 03:31 PM
Johnny630 Johnny630 is offline
Johnny MaZilli
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
There have been 58 sales of Jordan 10s according to VCP since Jan 2020, at which time and for the LONGEST time, this was a 40K card. The breakdown of the 58 sales is as follows:

ebay seller manontherock 2
REA 3
Probstein123 4
Single Sales by individual ebay sellers and auction houses 7
Heritage 8
PWCC or PWCC Vault 12 (excluding the example that just sold for 180K which is now gone from VCP)
Goldin 22
The fundamentals just were never there to me for this card in a PSA 10 to sell in the $700,000 Range. Now theyíre selling under 300,000.

Iíve been saying this for months I donít care what anyone says many sales in Jan-March were Fantasy.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 06-18-2021, 03:35 PM
Lorewalker's Avatar
Lorewalker Lorewalker is offline
Chase
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
The fundamentals just were never there to me for this card in a PSA 10 to sell in the $700,000 Range. Now theyíre selling under 300,000.

Iíve been saying this for months I donít care what anyone says many sales in Jan-March were Fantasy.
It all felt manufactured/manipulated to me. It is not a 700K card nor is it a 300K card, imo. The 86 Jordan was not the only card which was selling for many multiples of what it had been in the previous year and most of those cards are coming back down to Earth too. I have to suspect there are some extraordinary paper losses mid June 2021 for the average collector.
__________________
( h @ $ e A n + l e y
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 06-18-2021, 03:50 PM
ullmandds's Avatar
ullmandds ullmandds is offline
pete ullman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: saint paul, mn
Posts: 9,978
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
It all felt manufactured/manipulated to me. It is not a 700K card nor is it a 300K card, imo. The 86 Jordan was not the only card which was selling for many multiples of what it had been in the previous year and most of those cards are coming back down to Earth too. I have to suspect there are some extraordinary paper losses mid June 2021 for the average collector.
Maybe some people entered into the situation expecting to take a large short term loss to offset other short term gains?
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 06-18-2021, 03:52 PM
Johnny630 Johnny630 is offline
Johnny MaZilli
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Maybe some people entered into the situation expecting to take a large short term loss to offset other short term gains?
Agree it’s been my belief The Money Was Made on the Under Cards......Jordan’s a year or two later 87’s 88’s 89’s ect, onto, stickers,and mostly lower grades 7,8, and 9’s

Last edited by Johnny630; 06-18-2021 at 03:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 06-18-2021, 04:00 PM
japhi japhi is offline
Ma.tt Lan.dry
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldin Auctions View Post
Matt Landry
As a company we do not make it a habit to respond to every comment on various forum message boards, however this is an out of line statement, surprised you would make such a public claim.
Please note the following
1. the 2 Jordan PSA 10s sold in January were purchased by 2 different, extremely well known wealthy US businessmen. Both cards still reside in each of their collections, both of which are 8 figure collections. We wish we could disclose the winners, but unless they do themselves we take client confidentiality seriously.
2. Neither of the 2 individuals are shareholders or investors in Goldin Auctions.
3. Both transactions were quickly paid for.
Thanks for the response Ken. I deleted my original post and apologize.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 06-18-2021, 04:04 PM
Republicaninmass Republicaninmass is offline
T3d $h3rm@n
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Agree itís been my belief The Money Was Made on the Under Cards......Jordanís a year or two later 87ís 88ís 89ís ect, onto, stickers,and mostly lower grades 7,8, and 9ís

See goldin auctions. I believe they had 36 86 fleer jordans, including stickers, in ONE auction. Who would think that was a good idea?

Use common sense
__________________
"Trolling Ebay right now" ©

NEED THE FOLLOWING 1952 topps

G TO VG-EX

(TONS TO TRADE, HIGHS LOWS, VARIATIONS, ERRORS)


322 jackson
328 borkowski
345 white
347 adcock
354 Hatfield
386 yuhas
399 frisley
403 miller
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 06-18-2021, 04:20 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 22,627
Default

Why would wealthy, successful, presumably sophisticated businessmen pay sums for a card completely out of line with historical values and indeed any value to date? The card isn't even close to rare even in a 10, what were they thinking, or maybe in context it was chump change and they didn't care? It does seem a lot of people leave their senses and sophistication and critical thinking behind when it comes to cards.
__________________
My avatar is a sketch by my son who is an art school graduate. Some of his sketches and paintings are at
https://www.jamesspaethartwork.com/

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-18-2021 at 04:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 06-18-2021, 05:27 PM
notfast notfast is offline
Ma.tt Whi.te
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: MD
Posts: 182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Why would wealthy, successful, presumably sophisticated businessmen pay sums for a card completely out of line with historical values and indeed any value to date? The card isn't even close to rare even in a 10, what were they thinking, or maybe in context it was chump change and they didn't care? It does seem a lot of people leave their senses and sophistication and critical thinking behind when it comes to cards.
Iím sure they were ďadvisedĒ by someone with a reason to boost the valuesÖ
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 06-18-2021, 05:31 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 30,361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Why would wealthy, successful, presumably sophisticated businessmen pay sums for a card completely out of line with historical values and indeed any value to date? The card isn't even close to rare even in a 10, what were they thinking, or maybe in context it was chump change and they didn't care? It does seem a lot of people leave their senses and sophistication and critical thinking behind when it comes to cards.
I think it could be as easy as some billionaires son seeing an MJ rookie on TikToc or something and telling the dad to buy it. Or any of a million other scenarios where folks who are smart don't make great decisions sometimes.
There are a lot of people with a lot of money nowadays, I just wish I was one of them. I think some gamblers gambled and lost and some made money. Not my gig....but to each their own.

.
__________________
Leon Luckey

Last edited by Leon; 06-18-2021 at 05:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 06-18-2021, 05:39 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 22,627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfast View Post
I’m sure they were “advised” by someone with a reason to boost the values…
If that happened, it would be far from the first time. I recall the guy a couple of years back who would ask Brent how high he should bid on cards Brent was selling. People just check their life skills and common sense at the door.
__________________
My avatar is a sketch by my son who is an art school graduate. Some of his sketches and paintings are at
https://www.jamesspaethartwork.com/

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-18-2021 at 05:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 06-18-2021, 05:42 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 22,627
Default

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1471997
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E4-M1h-AIXMAE3sk7.jpg (75.7 KB, 421 views)
__________________
My avatar is a sketch by my son who is an art school graduate. Some of his sketches and paintings are at
https://www.jamesspaethartwork.com/

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-18-2021 at 05:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 06-18-2021, 05:49 PM
Johnny630 Johnny630 is offline
Johnny MaZilli
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
What a Crock Of Sh&t.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 06-18-2021, 05:50 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 22,627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
What a Crock Of Sh&t.
1984-ish.
__________________
My avatar is a sketch by my son who is an art school graduate. Some of his sketches and paintings are at
https://www.jamesspaethartwork.com/

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 06-18-2021, 05:59 PM
mechanicalman's Avatar
mechanicalman mechanicalman is offline
Sam Sw@rtz
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,114
Default

.

Last edited by mechanicalman; 06-18-2021 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Meh
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 06-18-2021, 06:23 PM
HistoricNewspapers HistoricNewspapers is offline
Brian
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: OriginalOldNewspapers.com
Posts: 108
Default

While it would be pretty hard to argue against bidding shenanigans happening in some cases...the market has also legitimately risen in tandem.

PSA 7 Julius Erving rookies are still selling for $1,800 and they aren't rare at all. I've been looking to buy them back after I sold my basketball stuff in one of the the 'run ups' before 2009. I thought I did great back then...lol. Win some lose some.

I don't know if I will ever buy that card back now, or the Alcindor rookie which is insanely high priced in every grade, and on multiple venues with legit sellers too. I don't know if a real widespread drop will ever come back. There will always be isolated crazy price swings....and there will always be some auctions that slip through the cracks somehow like there always have been.

If there is a widespread group eating the fees or price manipulating on PSA 6 Julius Erving rookies for $1,000 a pop...cut this guy a break...I would like one back at the old prices

It will take a seismic society altering event to stop the overall tide at this point. Its summer and everyone is out of the house now...and all those cards I want back haven't moved much at all in price.

Last edited by HistoricNewspapers; 06-18-2021 at 06:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 06-18-2021, 06:26 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 22,627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricNewspapers View Post
While it would be pretty hard to argue against bidding shenanigans happening in some cases...the market has also legitimately risen in tandem.

PSA 7 Julius Erving rookies are still selling for $1,800 and they aren't rare at all. I've been looking to buy them back after I sold my basketball stuff in one of the the 'run ups' before 2009. I thought I did great back then...lol. Win some lose some.

I don't know if I will ever buy that card back now, or the Alcindor rookie which is insanely high priced in every grade, and on multiple venues with legit sellers too. I don't know if a real widespread drop will ever come back. There will always be isolated crazy price swings....and there will always be some auctions that slip through the cracks somehow like there always have been.

If there is a widespread group eating the fees or price manipulating on PSA 6 Julius Erving rookies for $1,000 a pop...cut this guy a break...I would like one back at the old prices

It will take a seismic society altering event to stop the overall tide at this point. Its summer and everyone is out of the house now...and all those cards I want back haven't moved much at all in price.
We must be looking at different cards. I am seeing "seismic" price drops.
__________________
My avatar is a sketch by my son who is an art school graduate. Some of his sketches and paintings are at
https://www.jamesspaethartwork.com/

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 06-18-2021, 06:26 PM
Aquarian Sports Cards Aquarian Sports Cards is offline
Scott Russell
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,888
Default

The cards you mention are both softening. Be patient. Also a large difference between $1800 on a card you feel should be worth $600 and $700,000 on a card many feel is worth $40k.
__________________
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CCAuctionHouse

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 06-18-2021, 06:30 PM
HistoricNewspapers HistoricNewspapers is offline
Brian
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: OriginalOldNewspapers.com
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
The cards you mention are both softening. Be patient. Also a large difference between $1800 on a card you feel should be worth $600 and $700,000 on a card many feel is worth $40k.

I agree those Jordan 10's were crazy sale prices. They probably got caught up in the hysteria on those.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 06-18-2021, 06:34 PM
Aquarian Sports Cards Aquarian Sports Cards is offline
Scott Russell
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,888
Default

But I would argue that that hysteria (among others in other sports) is what lifted all the boats.
__________________
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CCAuctionHouse

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 06-18-2021 at 06:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 06-18-2021, 06:41 PM
Johnny630 Johnny630 is offline
Johnny MaZilli
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,768
Default

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Bowman....m46890.l49286


I questioned this one big time.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 06-18-2021, 06:44 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 30,361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny630 View Post
poof?
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 06-18-2021, 06:45 PM
MattyC's Avatar
MattyC MattyC is offline
Matt
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 2,163
Default

Hysterical crock regarding that ebay “glitch.” Does anyone really believe that? Guess some out there figured the final price was too low and now want a mulligan, so the price doesn’t make all those prior “sales” look like the puerile manipulation plays they were. And this collector doesn’t believe that AH post defending those Jordan sales for a second. These hustlers out there must think we all are uneducated or gullible or both. That said, I do believe many folks got swept up in the mania.

Last edited by MattyC; 06-18-2021 at 06:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 06-18-2021, 06:48 PM
Johnny630 Johnny630 is offline
Johnny MaZilli
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,768
Default

Maybe the card or slab was bad......idk
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 06-18-2021, 06:49 PM
Aquarian Sports Cards Aquarian Sports Cards is offline
Scott Russell
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
poof?
damn that was fast!
__________________
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CCAuctionHouse

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 06-18-2021, 06:57 PM
Johnny630 Johnny630 is offline
Johnny MaZilli
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
damn that was fast!
It shows up on VCP along with the eBay app on my phone.

It was a 1952 Bowman SGC 7 Mantle That sold for $42,600 2/14/21 PWCC

Last edited by Johnny630; 06-18-2021 at 06:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 06-18-2021, 09:57 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 22,627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Hysterical crock regarding that ebay “glitch.” Does anyone really believe that? Guess some out there figured the final price was too low and now want a mulligan, so the price doesn’t make all those prior “sales” look like the puerile manipulation plays they were. And this collector doesn’t believe that AH post defending those Jordan sales for a second. These hustlers out there must think we all are uneducated or gullible or both. That said, I do believe many folks got swept up in the mania.
According to the PSA website, one of the PSA 10s is in the number one registry set which belongs to someone who may be wealthy by some standards but is certainly not famous. I suppose it's possible he consigned it and still hasn't removed it from his registry set.
__________________
My avatar is a sketch by my son who is an art school graduate. Some of his sketches and paintings are at
https://www.jamesspaethartwork.com/

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-18-2021 at 10:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 06-18-2021, 10:10 PM
Tabe's Avatar
Tabe Tabe is offline
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I think it could be as easy as some billionaires son seeing an MJ rookie on TikToc or something and telling the dad to buy it. Or any of a million other scenarios where folks who are smart don't make great decisions sometimes.
There are a lot of people with a lot of money nowadays, I just wish I was one of them. I think some gamblers gambled and lost and some made money. Not my gig....but to each their own.

.
TWO billionaires and they both just happened to settle on the same way out of whack price? Sure.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 06-19-2021, 09:58 AM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 22,627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
TWO billionaires and they both just happened to settle on the same way out of whack price? Sure.
There have been so many confirmed shenanigans and lies in this hobby that I think we're conditioned to being skeptical of almost anything almost anyone says.
__________________
My avatar is a sketch by my son who is an art school graduate. Some of his sketches and paintings are at
https://www.jamesspaethartwork.com/

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-19-2021 at 10:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 06-19-2021, 10:43 AM
Hankphenom Hankphenom is offline
Hank Thomas
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,570
Default

Omg, that video.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 06-19-2021, 10:51 PM
joed25 joed25 is offline
Jos.eph Dw.ek
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 498
Default

I just watched the whole video. I think Ken is fantastic. Very good for the hobby. Looking forward to the TV show.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 06-20-2021, 08:09 AM
Hankphenom Hankphenom is offline
Hank Thomas
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed25 View Post
I just watched the whole video. I think Ken is fantastic. Very good for the hobby. Looking forward to the TV show.
I actually agree with this sentiment, although like so many others here none of this has anything to do with me. But it will come down to whether Ken Goldin ("...Ken Goldin, look at them cards that he holdin"--oh, no, it's the dreaded earworm!) is playing it straight, like Mr. Mint apparently did, or is manipulating the market like some other well-known former hobby icons. Every endeavor needs some colorful characters to give it some spice, and I wish Ken Goldin ("...Ken Goldin, look at...--oh, no, not again!!!!) all the success he can create for himself as long as he doesn't end up bringing another black eye to the hobby like so many of his predecessors from the P.T. Barnum school of marketing.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 06-20-2021, 09:03 AM
ullmandds's Avatar
ullmandds ullmandds is offline
pete ullman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: saint paul, mn
Posts: 9,978
Default

in the ken goldin rap...who is "rick" that is referred to?
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 06-20-2021, 09:26 AM
Jay Wolt's Avatar
Jay Wolt Jay Wolt is offline
qualitycards
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gettysburg PA area
Posts: 2,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
in the ken goldin rap...who is "rick" that is referred to?
The rap mentions Rick (Probstein) & Brent (Huegins) a few times
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 06-20-2021, 11:16 AM
jerseygary's Avatar
jerseygary jerseygary is offline
G@ry Cier@dkowski
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed25 View Post
I just watched the whole video. I think Ken is fantastic. Very good for the hobby. Looking forward to the TV show.
I think you're referring the Bloomberg video from last week, right?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/video...et-class-video

I thought it was a great piece that goes over both vintage and modern cards and memorabilia, and how Ken started as a kid and eventually wound up running a massive auction house. While there's the money talk, it also shows how he enjoys the hobby and collecting (he says his prize piece is a Babe Ruth game used bat). He also tries to get the next generation interested in cards with the set breaks he does with his 7-year-old son on Instagram and other social media
__________________
MY BASEBALL CARD PROJECT:
www.studiogaryc.com/baseball-blog/

Last edited by jerseygary; 06-20-2021 at 11:33 AM. Reason: added last sentence
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 06-20-2021, 11:34 AM
Johnny630 Johnny630 is offline
Johnny MaZilli
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,768
Default

The biggest thing I take away from this video is a lot of people now consider sports cards, specifically graded as an asset class, my how things have changed.

If the love of cards is Emotional to you, it is to me, I suggest not considering it an asset class I learned a long time ago never to mix emotions with investing leave that to something that is not of sentimental value to you.

Last edited by Johnny630; 06-20-2021 at 11:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 06-20-2021, 01:17 PM
ullmandds's Avatar
ullmandds ullmandds is offline
pete ullman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: saint paul, mn
Posts: 9,978
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
The rap mentions Rick (Probstein) & Brent (Huegins) a few times
interesting! I didn't catch the PWCC ref...but Rick Probstein is the only Rick I know. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 06-21-2021, 01:58 AM
Tabe's Avatar
Tabe Tabe is offline
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
There have been so many confirmed shenanigans and lies in this hobby that I think we're conditioned to being skeptical of almost anything almost anyone says.
Well, when the words are coming from a guy who literally told me he didn't care items in his first auction were bootlegs, yeah, I'm gonna be skeptical.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 07-02-2021, 09:02 AM
troutbum97 troutbum97 is offline
Brian May
Bri.an M@y
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Northern Rockies
Posts: 153
Default

Any Net 54 members bidding heavy on this live stream box break?

WTF -

https://goldinauctions.com/1996_97_T...LOT101818.aspx
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 07-06-2021, 01:55 AM
brianp-beme's Avatar
brianp-beme brianp-beme is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
How has this site not had a thread about this?

https://youtu.be/CPiALa0CIMc
You know the lyric, now behold the beholder.

Brian (sorry, came across this photo on the GA website, and felt compelled to resurrect this thread from the dead)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kengoldinBarstoolfw.jpg (44.5 KB, 90 views)
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sad State of the Hobby samosa4u Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 86 02-03-2021 01:28 PM
The State of the Hobby Reflected on Jeopardy? clydepepper Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk 0 09-27-2019 05:39 PM
State Of The Hobby LincolnVT Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 63 05-05-2019 06:13 PM
OT, but a great share! State of the hobby 7nohitter Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 23 03-12-2014 06:57 PM
State of the Hobby Steve D Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 25 06-08-2010 06:55 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:07 PM.


ebay GSB