NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-24-2021, 04:55 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Be careful what you wish for...

Went Tried to go to a card show today here in Northern California. These types of (relatively small) shows are generally pretty well attended, but nothing too crazy. But today, due to the pandemic, it was an absolute nightmare. We arrived at about 9:30 for a 9 to 4 show at The Marriott. Pulling into the hotel, we saw there wasn't a single parking spot available, so we drove around in continuous loops waiting for something to suddenly open up. One finally did. Woo frickin' hoo! Approaching the entrance, we saw a line the likes of which I have never seen at one of these card shows before, with hundreds and hundreds of people snaking around the side of the venue, bending into every possible nook between dumpsters and construction trucks and whatever else. I talked to the guy at the door to see what was going on, perhaps there was a player signing autographs or something?? Nope, just a regular show. Owing to the current state of affairs, only 200 people (including the vendors) were allowed in at a time. My response to him was a simple, "This isn't like a supermarket where you go in, grab your stuff and leave. People looking at cards STAY and look at cards, usually for a whole bunch of hours." He replied, "Yup, I know," and told me the wait to get in would be at least two hours. Saying screw it, I joined the throngs of people on line to see if the wait time wasn't overestimated (knowing full well it was UNDERestimated). I kept staring at the people in the far distance near the beginning of the line, and decided to focus on a fellah I dubbed 'Barney Blue Jacket' (although his name was probably Mike or Bob or something). After 45 minutes, 'Barney Blue' was in the exact same spot. The line in front of me moved a bunch of times, but it was just a false positive with people scrunching up closer and closer together while the actual number of people between me and the mirage known as the door hadn't changed one bit. Nobody left the show, so no one 'new' was allowed inside. And again, there were hundreds of people in front of me. It would be countless hours before my number was called (and everything I would've hoped to buy would've already been snatched up regardless of the ridiculous pricing) and realized my only option was to bail. We left and went to eat, hit a dollar store and then Walmart, and eventually headed back to The Marriott. The line looked exactly the same (didn't even bother looking for 'B.B. Jacket' this time), so we ventured out again to check out the environs of Travis Air Force Base and walk around town a bit. By now it's closing in on 1PM and we once again headed back to the show...so take a wild guess what the situation was. The line hadn't moved at all, so home I went.

Long, boring story for nothing except to vent, but I can only imagine what kind of f_ckfest a large show will be if the same protocols are in place. Yowza.

P.S. Think I'll search for good ole 'Barn' on Facebook.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2021, 05:07 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Next time walk through the back door confidently dressed in PPE with some gadget that beeps, stop at every table and inspect every card.
_
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PPE.jpg (8.2 KB, 749 views)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 04-25-2021, 12:42 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Washington state where I live is pretty hardcore. We had a Twin Oaks show here in Auburn, Wa today and happy to report it went off without a hitch. In fact, they moved it to a 2 day event and will be on for tomorrow. It was freakin' packed...very nice to see. Picked up some nice cards...great show.

Here is to hoping the National can go as planned...if so, I plan on working in the area to take advantage and attend...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 04-25-2021, 06:08 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
Washington state where I live is pretty hardcore. We had a Twin Oaks show here in Auburn, Wa today and happy to report it went off without a hitch. In fact, they moved it to a 2 day event and will be on for tomorrow. It was freakin' packed...very nice to see. Picked up some nice cards...great show.

Here is to hoping the National can go as planned...if so, I plan on working in the area to take advantage and attend...
Same here in my area (VA/MD/PA). Have gone to a couple of small shows since Feb and while there was a line at a few, it moved and went off without a hitch. I think it depends on where you live, how restrictive things have been during the past 12 months (ie. state by state mandates), and how popular shows are in your area.

The key to how well the Natty will go and show traffic will flow is gonna be what the gathering restriction is at that point in IL. If it's less than 'wide open', there will probably be show traffic jams unless the show promoters govern ticket sales accordingly.

jeff
Old 04-27-2021, 10:54 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Next time walk through the back door confidently dressed in PPE with some gadget that beeps, stop at every table and inspect every card.
_
Oh Lord, no National? Think of the pent up demand and the red hot market - a seller's paradise! Can't move it to Mumbai. Not cool there.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:34 AM
Chris Counts

I'm so glad I decided not to go. I was planning to, but my second Covid shot knocked me out of commission. That, plus four hours of traffic for the round trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Be careful what you wish for...

Went Tried to go to a card show today here in Northern California. These types of (relatively small) shows are generally pretty well attended, but nothing too crazy. But today, due to the pandemic, it was an absolute nightmare. We arrived at about 9:30 for a 9 to 4 show at The Marriott. Pulling into the hotel, we saw there wasn't a single parking spot available, so we drove around in continuous loops waiting for something to suddenly open up. One finally did. Woo frickin' hoo! Approaching the entrance, we saw a line the likes of which I have never seen at one of these card shows before, with hundreds and hundreds of people snaking around the side of the venue, bending into every possible nook between dumpsters and construction trucks and whatever else. I talked to the guy at the door to see what was going on, perhaps there was a player signing autographs or something?? Nope, just a regular show. Owing to the current state of affairs, only 200 people (including the vendors) were allowed in at a time. My response to him was a simple, "This isn't like a supermarket where you go in, grab your stuff and leave. People looking at cards STAY and look at cards, usually for a whole bunch of hours." He replied, "Yup, I know," and told me the wait to get in would be at least two hours. Saying screw it, I joined the throngs of people on line to see if the wait time wasn't overestimated (knowing full well it was UNDERestimated). I kept staring at the people in the far distance near the beginning of the line, and decided to focus on a fellah I dubbed 'Barney Blue Jacket' (although his name was probably Mike or Bob or something). After 45 minutes, 'Barney Blue' was in the exact same spot. The line in front of me moved a bunch of times, but it was just a false positive with people scrunching up closer and closer together while the actual number of people between me and the mirage known as the door hadn't changed one bit. Nobody left the show, so no one 'new' was allowed inside. And again, there were hundreds of people in front of me. It would be countless hours before my number was called (and everything I would've hoped to buy would've already been snatched up regardless of the ridiculous pricing) and realized my only option was to bail. We left and went to eat, hit a dollar store and then Walmart, and eventually headed back to The Marriott. The line looked exactly the same (didn't even bother looking for 'B.B. Jacket' this time), so we ventured out again to check out the environs of Travis Air Force Base and walk around town a bit. By now it's closing in on 1PM and we once again headed back to the show...so take a wild guess what the situation was. The line hadn't moved at all, so home I went.

Long, boring story for nothing except to vent, but I can only imagine what kind of f_ckfest a large show will be if the same protocols are in place. Yowza.

P.S. Think I'll search for good ole 'Barn' on Facebook.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:40 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

[QUOTE=JollyElm;2096308]Be careful what you wish for...

For the few small shows in NJ/NY area that came off recently it was the same experience. Long, overcrowded lines that didn't move. People with "early arrival" passes getting screwed also because occupancy limits included dealer personnel not being able to get inside. Wait times in excess of 2 hours plus to approach the door.

That said there is no way the national will be allowed to let 30-50k people in an enclosed venue to mill around without following 6 foot spacing and masking protocols. Wait times to get in will be very lengthy unless time limits are put on people inside of say an hour or two at a time to rotate people through the show. Thus people will have travelled many miles, paid for a hotel room and tickets, food and beverage and see nothing. Because as mentioned above collectors are browsers and will hang around.

If the weather is nice - Soldier field? Under giant tents and out doors less restrictive since there has been no scientific proof of outdoor transmission.
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.

Last edited by chalupacollects; 04-25-2021 at 08:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-26-2021, 11:47 AM
Brad

If a vaccination is required then why would occupancy limits be in place???

My site: http://www.freewebs.com/gnep31/

Successful trades/transactions: Mountaineer1999, BlueDevel89, ezez420, Shorttmail66, Northviewcats, Mintacular, Elberson, NATCARD, Oneofthree67, Leerob538, shammus, Hawkfan70, 39special, scmavl, jimtigers65, rocuan
Old 04-26-2021, 11:51 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnep31 View Post
If a vaccination is required then why would occupancy limits be in place???
you DO know the vaccine isn't 100% effective?
Old 04-26-2021, 12:10 PM
J Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
No, but the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines have been shown to be remarkably effective against a vaccinated person getting infected and even more so prevent death.

I work in an environment in which there was a really bad outbreak. After a program of shutdown, testing, isolating positives, vaccinations (mostly P&M), temperature checks on entry to the grouds, mandated masking and constant testing since re-opening there have been ZERO positives since Dec 26 among employees or family.

Perhaps card show promoters can move to some kind of timed entry system (sell tickets for 2 hour blocks or something) to mitigate the lines. Otherwise I could see some enterprising folks selling out of their trunks in the parking lots!

As with my work, it was always a process. As the Marines say, "improvise, adapt, overcome". We have to work closely with the County Health Dept and despite the red tape, we've been able to stay in business and keep everyone safe at the same time.
Old 04-26-2021, 12:21 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:
Neither are masks or social distancing. Ultimately if you go to a show you are saying I know I am at risk and possibly putting others at risk. Attend at your own discretion and to each his own. At this point I doubt many people attending any events or shows are uneducated about the risk involved. I've been going to toy shows all over the country for over a year now and finally caught the virus right here in my little town of 3000 people. I practiced all the protocols religiously since I have a compromised immune system but still caught it. You can't run from it and because the vaccine isn't 100% effective eventually everyone will have had or will have it unless you haven't left your house for two years. Not everyone is getting the vaccine either. I know one person that hasn't left the house but six times the entire last year.
Old 04-26-2021, 01:20 PM

I think that sentiment has a fatal flaw though. The issue with this virus is that it can be transmitted to people who haven't assume the risk. That's the danger of it. You are welcome of course to have your own stance on behaviors but ultimately your behavior can affect other people's health who haven't assumed the same risks.
Old 04-26-2021, 01:35 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I think that sentiment has a fatal flaw though. The issue with this virus is that it can be transmitted to people who haven't assume the risk. That's the danger of it. You are welcome of course to have your own stance on behaviors but ultimately your behavior can affect other people's health who haven't assumed the same risks.
So practice a rule of, oh, I don't know, do unto others as you would have them do unto you? Maybe with a dash of love thy neighbor as thyself? Hmm...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-26-2021 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:23 AM
Howard Chasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
People who smoke around people who don't put people at risk who haven't assumed it

People who text (or talk depending on how) while they drive put people at risk who haven't assumed it.

People who produce and promote the myriad food offerings that contribute largely to chronic disease in what is supposed to be the richest, most technologically advanced country in the world put people at risk who haven't assumed it.

People who send their children to school when they have a fever, are sneezing, coughing, etc. put people at risk who haven't assumed it.

People who create large amounts of unnecessary waste including using an excessive amount of plastic and treating non renewable resources as their privilege put people at risk who haven't assumed it.

Because covid is acutely present and "interrupting our lives" all of a sudden "the greater good" is a priority?! Please.

These came quickly off the top of my head - I am sure there are MANY more things that are done and ignored daily that puts people who haven't assumed it , at risk. Injecting something that has the possibility of harm (however small and without a guarantee of 100% effectiveness) must be a choice.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:38 PM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
We are never going to a card show, concert, amusement park etc again if that is what it takes for these events to happen.

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 04-26-2021, 02:44 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

My point was no matter what you can still get it. Vaccine, no vaccine, having had COVID already, staying at home, practicing protocol to a T, etc. With that said people have to make their own decisions of what to go do. On the other hand the world can't come to a halt waiting for this to go away. It may never go away completely. I wasn't telling people what to do or even suggesting what people should do. Also didn't say I was a super spreader as people jumped to that conclusion. LOL.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:50 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
We are never going to a card show, concert, amusement park etc again if that is what it takes for these events to happen.
I know several healthcare workers and first responders who haven't and won't get the vaccine. It's not just selfish pricks. Some people are scared and for good reason. Risks are low but they are there. If we wait until everyone is vaccinated nothing will ever happen. Events can and should go on with protocols and people can make their own decisions. If you don't want to go don't go. Simple.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:15 AM
Brad

Quote:
I do...sorry the sarcasm in my message didn't come through

Even if I ever do get the shot I wouldn't go to the National just for the fact they are requiring proof.

I saw a meme about a week ago that went something like this...

How many times have you heard someone say they did their research before choosing one of the vaccines?

Unfortunately, what they don't realize, is they are the research.

My site: http://www.freewebs.com/gnep31/

Successful trades/transactions: Mountaineer1999, BlueDevel89, ezez420, Shorttmail66, Northviewcats, Mintacular, Elberson, NATCARD, Oneofthree67, Leerob538, shammus, Hawkfan70, 39special, scmavl, jimtigers65, rocuan
Old 04-27-2021, 08:54 AM
pete ullman

That's fine...and that's your prerogative. I have a friend or two with your mindset.

I don't think this is anything new, either. Historically whenever a new virus/pandemic happens there are always skeptics.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:58 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
I do...sorry the sarcasm in my message didn't come through

Even if I ever do get the shot I wouldn't go to the National just for the fact they are requiring proof.

I saw a meme about a week ago that went something like this...

How many times have you heard someone say they did their research before choosing one of the vaccines?

One bit of misinformation: The NSCC has specifically noted they are NOT requiring vaccines. This is from an NSCC Facebook post.

1. We are not planning to move this year’s event to Texas or Florida
2. We are not planning to require proof of vaccination to attend.
3. We will announce autograph guests as they are confirmed by TriStar.
4. We will adhere to the guidelines provided by the State of Illinois and the City of Rosemont

Regards
Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 04-27-2021 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:55 AM
Andy Wa.lko

Quote:
Yeah that's true to some extent...obviously rushing a vaccine to the market in less than a year isn't ideal. But neither is letting COVID ravage the globe for years. There are no easy answers to a global pandemic.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:24 AM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime View Post
Yeah that's true to some extent...obviously rushing a vaccine to the market in less than a year isn't ideal. But neither is letting COVID ravage the globe for years. There are no easy answers to a global pandemic.
Well said.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:43 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime View Post
Very true. Considering how polarizing so many things related to COVID have become (vaccines, masks, etc), the fact the the US has administered the most vaccine shots of any country is amazing. While the vaccines were definitely approved in significantly less time than vaccines normally would be, the hope is (and the results so far show) that the benefits outweigh the risks. Even with the J&J vaccine, the risk of blood clots caused by the vaccine is much lower than the risk of blood clots caused by getting COVID.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:26 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
So whats the end game then? If nothing is 100% effective will we just have masks and restrictions in place for the rest of time?
Old 04-27-2021, 02:17 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
So whats the end game then? If nothing is 100% effective will we just have masks and restrictions in place for the rest of time?
I think the hope is that as a significant number of people get vaccinated and as treatments improve, it will be something that can be lived with (like the flu) without significant restrictions in place. Although in some Asian countries, mask wearing when someone is sick has been common practice which is likely part of the reason the spread wasn't as bad in places like South Korea and Japan than it was in the US.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:31 PM
Johnny MaZilli

It's amazing how many people blindly acquiesce to losing their freedoms.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:26 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
I think the hope is that as a significant number of people get vaccinated and as treatments improve, it will be something that can be lived with (like the flu) without significant restrictions in place. Although in some Asian countries, mask wearing when someone is sick has been common practice which is likely part of the reason the spread wasn't as bad in places like South Korea and Japan than it was in the US.
There will be many, many people who will never get vaccinated. If that is the hope it'll never be over. I know at least 10 people who will never get it in just my group of close friends. They all have their own personal reasons. Unlike others I respect that and they respected my decision to get it.