NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-08-2019, 12:38 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Neither PSA nor SGC require you to crack a card to cross it over so your whole point is moot.
In other threads, I thought a lot of people were insisting that cards cannot be accurately assessed while in plastic holders. Viewing the edges, specifically, but also the thickness and texture of the cards cannot be determined with an entombed card.

Which brings up an interesting question: Suppose you send a card to PSA in a different holder. You tell them you don't want them to do anything unless it crosses. They decide it will cross, break it out of the old case to put into theirs, but at that point they notice the edges are newly cut. What would they do?
Old 11-08-2019, 12:41 PM
A@ron V@!llan©️our⍑

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
In other threads, I thought a lot of people were insisting that cards cannot be accurately assessed while in plastic holders. Viewing the edges, specifically, but also the thickness and texture of the cards cannot be determined with an entombed card.

Which brings up an interesting question: Suppose you send a card to PSA in a different holder. You tell them you don't want them to do anything unless it crosses. They decide it will cross, break it out of the old case to put into theirs, but at that point they notice the edges are newly cut. What would they do?
Pretty sure everyone knows the answer to this.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:45 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyrounded View Post
Whatever the wrong thing to do is!
Old 11-08-2019, 12:47 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyrounded View Post
Right. Exactly. And we probably mostly agree that they should not cross a card they now know is altered.

But..... suppose that happened in this case? What would be the difference if PSA was the ones who cracked the card, initially thinking it would cross, then, when able to closely inspect it, saw that they could not......
Old 11-08-2019, 12:58 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Right. Exactly. And we probably mostly agree that they should not cross a card they now know is altered.

But..... suppose that happened in this case? What would be the difference if PSA was the ones who cracked the card, initially thinking it would cross, then, when able to closely inspect it, saw that they could not......
Obviously the right thing to do would be to inform the consigner of their findings and offer to slab the card A...at no charge...imo.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:57 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Obviously the right thing to do would be to inform the consigner of their findings and offer to slab the card A...at no charge...imo.
And I would agree with that.

But does that also mean the buyer, who thought he was buying a nice, unaltered asset for $5k and now has an asset in minimum grade A because it had been doctored, is stuck with it? He clearly did not receive the quality card he was expecting.

And can someone sell a doctored, slabbed card with high grade for big bucks and have no responsibility when the card is discovered to be doctored? Actually, I think that is PWCC's position, which many here have problems accepting.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

But does that also mean the buyer, who thought he was buying a nice, unaltered asset for $5k and now has an asset in minimum grade A because it had been doctored, is stuck with it? He clearly did not receive the quality card he was expecting.

And can someone sell a doctored, slabbed card with high grade for big bucks and have no responsibility when the card is discovered to be doctored? Actually, I think that is PWCC's position, which many here have problems accepting.
We had a member here refuse to take back a card that was outed as altered even though the buyer offered to return it in the same slab he purchased it in. It happens.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:08 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:

They buyer bought a GAI graded card at a discount due to the GAI holder. However, it WAS graded. Now the card is NOT in the graded holder and the seller is losing out on thousands. I'm sorry, but once the buyer cracked it out, it is his. This opens up a whole new can of worms. I would be leery of selling ANY graded card on Ebay if the outcome stands.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:25 PM
James
James Kin.chen

So, does this mean that all the buyers of cards in PRO slabs can return them because a TPG determined that they were altered?
Old 11-08-2019, 03:11 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
They buyer bought a GAI graded card at a discount due to the GAI holder. However, it WAS graded. Now the card is NOT in the graded holder and the seller is losing out on thousands.
The seller is not losing out on thousands because it isn't in a GAI holder. He likely lost thousands when he, himself was duped when purchasing that doctored card in the first place.

And for the record, I do not blame the seller at all - I doubt he was the card doctor or the original submitter to GAI. He was probably the original victim here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I'm sorry, but once the buyer cracked it out, it is his. This opens up a whole new can of worms. I would be leery of selling ANY graded card on Ebay if the outcome stands.
Suppose I sell you an unopened pack of 1962 Topps baseball cards that I bought at a show years ago and believe to be authentic. You open the pack for one of those YouTube videos, and discover that there are 5 cards in the pack, but they are all from different series (which would be impossible for a genuine unopened pack.)

Are you saying you have no recourse? If you come to me for a refund, can I just say, "Well, in order for you to have uncovered the deception, you had to open them, and now that they are open, the deception is not relevant, because it is no longer an unopened pack."
Old 11-08-2019, 03:36 PM
B0b Żwξn9

Quote:

I'm relatively a newbie too and I'm with the seller on this one. He sold a GAI holdered card and did not get the same in return, period. A full refund is not warranted. There is always some risk to the buyer of buying any holdered card (buy the card not the holder, right?) but especially more risk with a holdered card graded from a defunct TPG like GAI. If the buyer did not like the slabbed card which you can see both sides of clearly and returned it intact then a full refund would be appropriate all day long.

I do think the seller should have shared the ebay name of this alleged scammer so that other sellers can be protected.

Regarding PWCC... No one should yet put toolifedave, the seller, in the same boat as PWCC at all. Not even close. Do we have proof that toolifedave knew his GAI Gehrig card was altered? The magnitude of known and suspected card alterations is in a different universe. There have been many posts on Net 54 and Blowout that illustrate the alleged collusion and alignment by PWCC with alleged card bleachers/trimmers like Moser of buying, cosigning, selling, re-buying, re-cosigning, submitting, manipulating/shilling and reselling of doctored cards to make huge bucks off of unsuspecting, trusting collectors and it still seems to be going on today and everyday as shared here and on Blowout. Thanks for the opportunity to rant.
B0b Zw.e.ng