NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-10-2024, 07:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

No different than most auction houses. The flip sanitizes all, and card doctors have triumphed. So it goes. The unholy alliance goes on.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-10-2024 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2024, 09:42 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
No different than most auction houses. The flip sanitizes all, and card doctors have triumphed. So it goes. The unholy alliance goes on.
It's a tough spot. How much time can an auction company afford to spend to redo the job that the TPG was supposed to do with the added handicap of trying to do it through the slab?

That being said there's a difference between missing a problem and being complicit in one.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-10-2024, 10:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
It's a tough spot. How much time can an auction company afford to spend to redo the job that the TPG was supposed to do with the added handicap of trying to do it through the slab?

That being said there's a difference between missing a problem and being complicit in one.
I know you don't do it, but most of them knowingly take consignments from known card doctors. You don't need to examine the cards that carefully to know the score.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I know you don't do it, but most of them knowingly take consignments from known card doctors. You don't need to examine the cards that carefully to know the score.
I think Rick addressed that issue fairly well when he emphasized them as being "alleged" trimmers. Just because some intentionally anonymous guy on the internet found some before and after pics of a card sold by XYZ123 that was purchased 3 years prior by VCP masked ID **Z doesn't mean that Joe the Plumber is a card trimmer. And just because some fraudster that has a YouTube channel where he calls people out and publishes a "secret list from an insider" doesn't many anyone, let alone everyone, on that list is also a card trimmer.

I'm not saying that all those accused are innocent. Surely, some are not. But it shouldn't be Probstein's job to hold a trial on every hobbyist that gets blasted by hobby clowns on social media. And it wouldn't even do anything anyway. If someone were banned from consigning cards with Probstein, they'd just have their spouse, brother, weed dealer, brother, sister, or pastor send it in for them.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I agree with most of this. However, those before and after pictures are almost universally real and show fraud. I wouldn't discount their chain of custody.
Part of the problem is the apathy about it in the industry, as you also seem to be that way. And I get it....But we can't just ignore all of the fraud because it's ubiquitous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I think Rick addressed that issue fairly well when he emphasized them as being "alleged" trimmers. Just because some intentionally anonymous guy on the internet found some before and after pics of a card sold by XYZ123 that was purchased 3 years prior by VCP masked ID **Z doesn't mean that Joe the Plumber is a card trimmer. And just because some fraudster that has a YouTube channel where he calls people out and publishes a "secret list from an insider" doesn't many anyone, let alone everyone, on that list is also a card trimmer.

I'm not saying that all those accused are innocent. Surely, some are not. But it shouldn't be Probstein's job to hold a trial on every hobbyist that gets blasted by hobby clowns on social media. And it wouldn't even do anything anyway. If someone were banned from consigning cards with Probstein, they'd just have their spouse, brother, weed dealer, brother, sister, or pastor send it in for them.
Old 01-12-2024, 03:03 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I agree with most of this. However, those before and after pictures are almost universally real and show fraud. I wouldn't discount their chain of custody.
Part of the problem is the apathy about it in the industry, as you also seem to be that way. And I get it....But we can't just ignore all of the fraud because it's ubiquitous.
I find myself somewhere in the middle on this issue. Are there scumbags who earn their living by slicing up cards and flipping them for huge proftis by getting them past the grading companies? Yes, absolutely. Are some, perhaps many, of those called out by BODA actually the people responsible? Surely, yes some are. Are all of those called out by BODA responsible for this behavior? Highly doubtful, IMO.

I'm grateful that this stuff was discovered. No question about that. I just pump the brakes when the mob wants heads to roll over accusations that are far from proven. And even then, I remain unconvinced that it's a crime.

The only people who think this trimming cards is criminal behavior are a small subset of collectors. You could explain card trimming to 100 random strangers on the street and ask them what they think about it, and the responses you'll hear from them will all be something along the lines of, "clever", "smart", "genius", or "where do I learn how to do that?" You might find 1 person out of 100 that would say, "lock them up!" It's just the reality of the situation. People just don't care. Certainly not enough people for it to ever change anyhow. It is what it is.

I like the fact that the curtain has been unveiled. I know which cards I don't want in my collection, and I have educated myself enough to know how to avoid them. I know the risks every time I crack open a slab, and that I may never be able to get that card back into the same holder. I try to navigate this hobby with knowledge and experience. Others seem to want to navigate it with grenades.
Old 01-12-2024, 06:44 AM
Mike Henry

Quote:
I find myself somewhere in the middle on this issue. Are there scumbags who earn their living by slicing up cards and flipping them for huge proftis by getting them past the grading companies? Yes, absolutely. Are some, perhaps many, of those called out by BODA actually the people responsible? Surely, yes some are. Are all of those called out by BODA responsible for this behavior? Highly doubtful, IMO.

I'm grateful that this stuff was discovered. No question about that. I just pump the brakes when the mob wants heads to roll over accusations that are far from proven. And even then, I remain unconvinced that it's a crime.

The only people who think this trimming cards is criminal behavior are a small subset of collectors. You could explain card trimming to 100 random strangers on the street and ask them what they think about it, and the responses you'll hear from them will all be something along the lines of, "clever", "smart", "genius", or "where do I learn how to do that?" You might find 1 person out of 100 that would say, "lock them up!" It's just the reality of the situation. People just don't care. Certainly not enough people for it to ever change anyhow. It is what it is.

I like the fact that the curtain has been unveiled. I know which cards I don't want in my collection, and I have educated myself enough to know how to avoid them. I know the risks every time I crack open a slab, and that I may never be able to get that card back into the same holder. I try to navigate this hobby with knowledge and experience. Others seem to want to navigate it with grenades.
I think your estimates are way off. The percentage of people who would think undisclosed card-trimming for resale is criminal would be much higher... if it's framed accurately, of course.

Q: Do you think people who take baseball cards and make them look nicer are committing a crime?
A: Uh, no.

Q: What if those people advertise those cards for sale as untrimmed, without disclosing to prospective buyers that they're actually trimmed?
A: OK, that's not great.

Q: And what if they don't disclose the trimming because then the cards would appeal to a much smaller number of buyers, significantly bringing down the market value?
A: Yeah, that sounds like fraud. The buyers have a right to know.

On that last question, I'd guess the percentage of people calling it an ingenius scheme and asking for a tutorial would be no higher than 40-50%. Society's not 99% scumbag quite yet. Inching closer, sure, but not quite there.
Old 01-11-2024, 08:49 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:

This 100 percent. You may not like it, but people have accepted it.
Old 01-11-2024, 09:06 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
But it shouldn't be Probstein's job to hold a trial on every hobbyist that gets blasted by hobby clowns on social media. them.

While I appreciate the thought, as it is something that obviously concerns me too, the idea that the card doctors are worthy of defense and those who are trying to expose them are described as hobby clowns is somewhat interesting.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-11-2024, 09:15 AM
Rhett Yeakley

We hold those that sell and deal in the cards we care about to such a low standard that all these shenanigans are accepted…as long as the item is shipped quickly 🤣

Other hobbies/industries have an established set of ethics that must be upheld to continue to be part of the community…

This industry is NOT one of those. We accept card-doctors, liars, cheaters, thieves, pumpers-dumpers and all around sleaze-balls.

Not sure why we (as a community) do it but we have sent the clear message that “stuff” trumps ethics.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 01-11-2024, 09:27 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
We hold those that sell and deal in the cards we care about to such a low standard that all these shenanigans are accepted…as long as the item is shipped quickly 🤣

Other hobbies/industries have an established set of ethics that must be upheld to continue to be part of the community…

This industry is NOT one of those. We accept card-doctors, liars, cheaters, thieves, pumpers-dumpers and all around sleaze-balls.

Not sure why we (as a community) do it but we have sent the clear message that “stuff” trumps ethics.
I find fascinating the amount of cynicism on this issue from members who seem very uncynical about many other things.

I guess it just comes down to money? If you or someone else is making a bunch of it, then who really cares about right and wrong? Now THAT is emblematic of out society today...
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 01-12-2024, 07:38 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Money

Quote:

Old 01-11-2024, 09:17 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
While I appreciate the thought, as it is something that obviously concerns me too, the idea that the card doctors are worthy of defense and those who are trying to expose them are described as hobby clowns is somewhat interesting.
+100

Always the same people defending as well.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 01-11-2024, 10:24 AM
Ben North

Quote:
+100

Always the same people defending as well.
Not really, it depends on WHO is being called out by who defends them.
Old 01-11-2024, 10:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Given how I was educated in the hobby, I find the increasing indifference of so many people, particularly the next generation, shocking. And then even beyond that to hear the defenders -- oh it's not their job, so it's fine if they enable the card doctors. I am sure it's realistic, but still.

Old 01-12-2024, 03:05 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
I'm not referring to the BODA people as hobby clowns. I'm referring to the guys on youtube and social media whose entire existence is just to slander people left and right and $#!+ on the hobby every day.