NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-24-2011, 10:14 PM
bR!@N R0+H

Default Are PSA qualifiers really that terrible?

I see a significant price difference between (ex.) a PSA 8 and a PSA 8 (OC)

I'm just wondering how the community feels about them, and to tell me more about them since I am not an expert on PSA. SGC is my grading company of choice..

Brian

Greenberg collection
Old 02-24-2011, 10:37 PM
Christ0pher C@ssidy

Qualifiers typically knock the value of the card down by two grades. PSA 8 (OC) = PSA 6
Old 02-24-2011, 10:41 PM
M!ke S@il£r

It is a scarlet letter in the world of registry sets. Most small-budget collectors such as myself tend to target them for bigger-named players simply for the affordability.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:50 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I don't mind the ST (stain) or PD (print defect) qualifiers if I can purchase the card at a decent price. In my experience, the ST qualifier is usually a wax stain on the front of the card that can usually be removed pretty easily and the PD qualifier is usually a minor printing defect that usually doesn't distract from the card. There are exceptions to this of course, but I have found this to be true most of the time. I do not like O/C qualifiers.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 02-24-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:04 PM
Alan U

I believe that in the registry the qualifiers knock the grade down 2 grades too.

I actually liked it when BVG/BGS used to put the 4 separate grades on their cards, it gave you a little better idea why the card received the grade it did, especially for the lower grade cards.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:20 AM
Bill

Yes.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:26 AM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Brian- this is a very interesting thread. I myself own many, many vintage cards with qualifiers, especially t206s. First of all, you get so much more card for the money. Secondly, i own many psa 8and 9 oc t206s that don't even appear to be badly centered. The other feedback in this thread is pretty much on the money, most oc or mc qualified cards will bring prices around 2 grades lower than if they did not have a qualifier. Most collectors with high dollar collections tend to shy away from them.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:37 AM
Peter Spaeth

It depends on the card. Sometimes, on a card that is typically off center anyhow even with no qualifiers, you can pick up one with an o/c qualifier for a fraction of the price of the equivalent grade.

For example, on the one below, is it worth paying 4x for a hair better centering?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg williams54-1.jpg (60.5 KB, 309 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.