NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-01-2011, 09:28 AM
©hri$ $€X₮ŘΝ

Default August 2011 pickup thread

Just landed these lots of game used bats from Huggins and Scott...some good 1920s St. Paul Saints players in the mix.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (69.4 KB, 936 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (76.4 KB, 940 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (74.6 KB, 934 views)

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 08-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Looks like we were bidding against each other! I won lot 288 for the Judge bat. Let me know if you are interested in trading/selling any of yours let me know.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com
Old 08-01-2011, 03:25 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ŘΝ

Hi Ken,

I just sent you an email.

Thanks.

Chris

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 08-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Scott

Just picked up finally the pencil drawing my friends teenage daughter made of Lou Gehrig. I love this piece a lot, and its so cool when you can see someones talent at young age. Orig photo for comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GehrigFarewellTess.jpg (42.6 KB, 851 views)
File Type: jpg Gehrigcrying.jpg (31.4 KB, 842 views)
Old 08-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Dan Brown

Default Very Nice

That is a great drawing Scott. I just love sketches. Thanks for displaying.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:54 PM
J.O.N

Default Framed Article

I thought this was a cool pick up for $6 bucks. It's an article from 1947 Saturday Evening Post about umpires. The pictures shows Frank Frisch. I love the expressions on everyones faces. And I believe the older gentlemen behind Frisch is Honus Wagner. The rest of the article is inside the frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3339.jpg (71.4 KB, 808 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3338.jpg (74.9 KB, 805 views)

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:05 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Default Big Trade

Ok so while seemingly everyone but me is at the National, I figured I'd make a trade.

What did I get? I'm glad you asked..
1927 Lou Gehrig Type 1 portrait and companion Sporting News guide the pic was used in.

1927 Babe Ruth Type 1 portrait

1927 Yankees infield Type 1

Lou Gehrig Christmas card

1927 Yankee Team Photo Type 1

and my favorite pic of the group

Lou Gehrig with Christy Walsh Jr. Son of Lou and Babe's agent.
Such a touching pic of Lou in his prime. Year is 1927. From Walsh family scrapbooks.

I am pretty psyched!

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 10-30-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:26 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Wonderful set of bats. I picked this one up a couple of weeks ago. It's an early Frank Snyder bat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F Snyder bat.jpg (78.5 KB, 708 views)
Old 08-04-2011, 07:56 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Default 2 more

I forgot about this one I got on ebay.

Gehrig from the movie Rawhide c1938

Old 08-05-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
Ok so while seemingly everyone but me is at the National, I figured I'd make a trade.

What did I get? I'm glad you asked..
1927 Lou Gehrig Type 1 portrait and companion Sporting News guide the pic was used in.

1927 Babe Ruth Type 1 portrait

1927 Yankees infield Type 1

Lou Gehrig Christmas card

1927 Yankee Team Photo Type 1

and my favorite pic of the group

Lou Gehrig with Christy Walsh Jr. Son of Lou and Babe's agent.
Such a touching pic of Lou in his prime. Year is 1927. From Walsh family scrapbooks.

I am pretty psyched!
Like my dear friend Mark, I too stayed home while others went to Chicago. And as it would happen, I also made a big trade. Mark got multiple first-rate Gehrig/Ruth photographs with a couple of swell pieces of Gehrig memorabilia. And with just this one Babe Ruth photo by Paul Thompson, I significantly strengthened my Bambino photo collection. A sweet deal all the way around. Thanks again Mark. All my best, Jimmy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RuthThompsonTRADE.jpg (57.3 KB, 542 views)
File Type: jpg RuthThompsonTRADEverso.jpg (34.4 KB, 540 views)

Last edited by thekingofclout; 08-07-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Like my dear friend Mark, I too stayed home while others went to Chicago. And as it would happen, I also made a big trade. Mark got multiple first-rate Gehrig/Ruth photographs with a couple of swell pieces of Gehrig memorabilia. And with just this one Babe Ruth photo by Paul Thompson, I significantly strengthened my Bambino photo collection. A sweet deal all the way around. Thanks again Mark. All my best, Jimmy
Jimmy and Mark,
Looks like a great trade where everyone came out a winner!
Jimmy- welcome back. Several of us on net54 have missed your posts.

Best,
Scott
Old 08-05-2011, 08:49 AM

Sounds like a great trade Jimmy and Mark. That is one classic Ruth photo!

Jimmy I've been meaning to write to you for a long time now -- it's so great to see you posting again!

Greg
Old 08-05-2011, 09:27 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Jimmy,
It was a pleasure doing this with you. It's always great when you can arrange a true win-win trade. I am so psyched especially about the Lou with Christy Jr pic. It's such a warm and endearing photo.
I can certainly say it was nice to hear from you since your abscence. You have been missed by all. Even though we, on the board, don't all agree all the time, ultimately were here show and look at the good stuff. I don't think anyone would argue that you do have a whole lot of really great items to share. I hope you stay with us now.

I also realized that I forgot to show you the other companion piece I had for the gehrig scowl picture besides the Sporting news book. Its from 1927.

This is a crappy picture, but didn't get around to taking one myself. It's not in perfect shape, but very hard to find and it looks much better in person.

I think it look good framed and matted with the pic and booklet. I guess now I have to get around to finishing my basement so I have someplace to hang all this stuff.

Scott and Greg,
Thanks for the kind words.

Best to all,
Mark

Last edited by Lordstan; 08-05-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:25 AM

For my birthday yesterday, my wife got me this 1959 LSU Sugar Bowl photo pennant

Old 08-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Dan Bretta

Picked up a newspaper photo of the 1923 Nebraska Indians..the first image I've seen of this team. Joe McCarthy managed and played center field...Nah, not that one...the HOF Joe McCarthy was managing Louisville in 1923. Anyone got a pic of the "other" Joe McCarthy?

I also picked up a nifty cabinet photo circa 1890s of a Moorhead, MN player. Moorhead was a minor league squad in 1897 and I know it's a longshot, but does anyone have a team photo from that time period? I'd love to identify this player if possible.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

Here are some nice photos I picked up from Chicago, as well as eBay:

Irish Meusel, 1924

Bobby Doerr, 1939

Bobby Doerr, 1946

Joe DiMaggio & Mickey Mantle, 1951

Hopefully I'll get to painting these some day...

Graig

Last edited by GKreindler; 08-08-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:22 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Great images, Graig...

The Doerr Batting photo is spectacular, and Ott pensively inspecting the Bats would make a poignant (and truly epic) painting.

Great stuff... and very sorry I missed you in Chicago
Old 08-08-2011, 01:28 PM

"Ott" is Irish Meusel.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:50 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Whoever it is, I bet he is wondering about that dark bat with the rings. What kind of bat is it?
Old 08-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Jim Murphy

The Mantle and Joe D photo will have people asking if
mantle used that bat. It was the practice of photographers to just grab bats and gloves and hand them to players before they took pictures. A lot of times equipment sellers will use photos as a way to authenticate a players use of such. Do your homework before you buy and don't always believe the story

Look at the older players in each photo, they knew to turn the bats around while the rook needs to learn a few things

Last edited by murphusa; 08-08-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Brock

Who's bat is the Mick holding, can anyone tell.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Matt

I have a clearer picture of it.. if I remember correctly, its a Bauer type

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 08-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Chris Wood

Default Junk store find of the decade (OK, my decade, anyway!)

Picked up a 1960-'67, Max McGee, Green Bay Packers, home green, used, durene jersey. Tons of use, team repairs and wear. Spoke to a few advanced Packer jersey collectors and apparently only one other McGee gamer is in a private collector's hands in GB. this might bring $8K-$10K at auction. Not too bad for a $24 purchase!!

If you don't know Max..he was quite a player and quite a character:

'Some would say that football was in Max McGee's blood. His successful football career started early when he became the first player in High School football history ever to rush for over 3,000 yards in a single season. He rushed for 3,048 yards his senior year and 20 years later, his High School football record was finally broken.

Max continued to improve his football skills at Tulane University and was selected by the Packers in the fifth round of the 1954 NFL Draft. In his rookie season with the Packers, Max led the NFL in punting yards while also catching 36 passes for 614 yards and nine touchdowns. He missed the next two seasons to serve as a pilot in the U.S. Air Force, but returned to become the Packers' leading receiver from 1958-62. In fact, while the Packers finished the 1958 season with a league worst 1-10-1 record, Max still was able to lead the NFL in yards per catch average (23.2), punting yards (2,716) and net yards average (36.0). "

After Vince Lombardi took over as the team's head coach in 1959, McGee continued to strive and helped the team to six NFL championship appearances, five NFL championship wins and two Super Bowl victories. He was also a Pro Bowl selection during the 1961 season.

In his final two seasons, injuries and age had considerably reduced Max's production and playing time. Ironically, these two seasons would be the ones for which his career is best remembered. In the 1966 season, McGee caught only four passes for 91 yards and a touchdown as the Packers recorded a 12-2 record and advanced to Super Bowl I against the Kansas City Chiefs. Because Max didn't expect to play in the game, he violated the team's curfew policy and spent the night before the Super Bowl out on the town. In "Lombardi and Me" by Paul Hornung, Max recounts,

"The night before the game, Paul [Hornung] and I were out at our favorite bar in L.A. Paul told me he was going to leave in time to make curfew because he was getting married right after the Super Bowl and didn't want to stay out all night. But we ran into a couple of girls, and I was using Paul to make them stay because he was the Heisman Trophy winner with all the pretty curly locks - better looking than me - so I told them Mr. Hornung would be right back after bed check.
"Well, Vince had told us it would be a $15,000 fine if we missed bed check. That was exactly what the winners would get. To the day he died, the biggest game in the world to Vince Lombardi was the first Super Bowl, because the NFL was his pride and joy and he did not want to be embarrassed by having this upstart league (the AFL) beat him.
"But I go back out to meet the girls and stay out all night.

The next morning, Max told starting receiver Boyd Dowler, "I hope you don't get hurt. I'm not in very good shape."

However, Dowler went down with a separated shoulder on the Packers' second drive of the game, and McGee, who had to borrow a teammate's helmet because he had not brought his own out of the locker room, was put into the game. A few plays later, McGee made a one-handed reception of a pass from Bart Starr, took off past Chiefs defender Fred Williamson and ran 37 yards to score the first touchdown in Super Bowl history. By the end of the game, McGee had recorded seven receptions for 138 yards and two touchdowns, assisting Green Bay to a 35-10 victory.

The following year, he recorded a 35-yard reception in the third quarter of Super Bowl II that set up a touchdown in the Packers 33-14 win over the Oakland Raiders. McGee retired shortly after the game. He finished his 12-season career with 345 receptions for 6,346 yards and 12 carries for 121 yards. He also scored 51 touchdowns (50 receiving and 1 fumble recovery). On special teams, he punted 256 times for 10,647 yards, an average of 41.6 yards per punt, and returned four kickoffs for 69 yards.

Photobucket
Old 08-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Mike H.

Oh no you don't Chris....Your not getting off that easy...let's hear the story fella
Old 08-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Chris Wood

Default Ok!

Mw
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
Oh no you don't Chris....Your not getting off that easy...let's hear the story fella
Thanks Mike! My wife and friends are getting tired of hearing me talk about it...and I've only had it for a week.

Simple, blind luck. There are a few vintage clothing stores that I frequent here in Vancouver, but before this, the best jersey I had found here was a Vancouver Canadians triple A gamer from the 1980's.

This store is a 5 min walk from my house. I popped in on Tuesday after our long weekend and it was on the sports shirt rack, which typically has 10-15 low end replicas at any given time. Paid the $24 (plus tax) ..stopped my hands from shaking and ran home to do some research.

Have chatted with a few auction houses and knowledgable Packers collectors and looks like I have a winner! I sold my small business in April and have been looking for a new 9-5 for a while now, so the cash will come in handy for sure!

Last edited by baseball tourist; 08-15-2015 at 11:05 PM. Reason: typos
Old 08-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Brock

Chris,

Just curious, why would it bring 8-10. He doesnt look like a player who's jersey would go so high?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Josh Margolin

I know I posted this in the July thread (when I purchased this), but I just got it in the mail and wanted to post it again because I'm pretty excited.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hughie 001.jpg (77.0 KB, 441 views)
Old 08-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
Chris,

Just curious, why would it bring 8-10. He doesnt look like a player who's jersey would go so high?
I had no real idea about it's worh but have been told that it is based on these factors:

-only a handful of 1960's Packers's gamers have ever come up
-he is classified as a "major star" as opposed to a common player (HOF players jerseys from GB and from the era have sold recently around $14K and commons for up to $8K
-home green is more desirable than road white
-Max's super bowl 1 story and his 20 year career as a packer radio commetator (post playing career) have endeared him in GB, immensely
-a McGee game jersey has never reached auction before
-packers Hall of fame doesn't have one

I have had a $5K and a $6K offer privately already.

Who knew?!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
Chris,

A hangover, the first touchdown catch and points in Super Bowl I makes Mr. McGee transcend mere mortal status.

Max

Oh, and he has a great first name too
Old 08-08-2011, 11:28 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by margoaepi View Post
I know I posted this in the July thread (when I purchased this), but I just got it in the mail and wanted to post it again because I'm pretty excited.
Well, that is something. Wonderful letter. What ever happened to that catcher?
Old 08-09-2011, 03:47 AM
Mike H.

What a great story Chris!!! Thanks for sharring and good luck with the sale of this historic piece.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:01 AM
Graig Kreindler

Hey Mark,

I wish I could have seen ya too - we'll have to make sure we hook up in Baltimore next. That is, if I go. Which I should be. Maybe exhibiting? Fingers crossed.

Anywho, here are some Yankee scans I picked up from a friend who bought the originals, all of which are just simply amazing!!

Babe Ruth, 1927

Lou Gehrig, 1927

Wally Pipp, October 9, 1923

Bob Shawkey, March 1, 1930

Whitey Ford, May 4, 1953

Man, I GOTTA paint these....like, now.

Graig
Old 08-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Chris Wood

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
What a great story Chris!!! Thanks for sharring and good luck with the sale of this historic piece.
Thanks Mike! It should be fun!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:41 AM
GaryPassamonte

Picked this up at the National.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unions.jpg (73.0 KB, 499 views)
Old 08-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Chris Wood

Default Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Well, that is something. Wonderful letter. What ever happened to that catcher?
Great letter! Love to see Toronto baseball content from that era. Thanks for posting.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:26 PM

Default Sandy Koufax Type I last pitch 3rd no-hitter

I just picked up this great Type I photo of HOF great Sandy Koufax delivering the last pitch of his 3rd no-hitter on 6/4/64 at Philadelphia. Phillies infielder Bobby Wine is the batter in the foreground. Wine was brought in to pinch hit in the bottom of the 9th.
Tough assignment I would say there, Bobby!!
UPI credit- photographer was Dirck Halstead.

Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sandy Koufax last pitch 3rd no-hitter.jpg (76.7 KB, 473 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 08-09-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Dan Brown

Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
Picked this up at the National.
Gary that's very nice, do you have any info on it?
Old 08-09-2011, 03:44 PM
GaryPassamonte

Dan- It's a baseball silk ribbon of the Unions of Morrisania dating to about 1865-1870. Morrisania is part of the present day Bronx. The Unions were quite a famous team at the time.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Aa.ron Pa.tton
Banned

Picked up a bunch of nice paper in Chicago....but, also picked up all of these.

I overpaid for a couple, got nice deals on a few others -- either way, it was a decent National for my pinback collection (with a few, regrettably, left on the table). C'st la vie:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img225.jpg (71.2 KB, 357 views)

Last edited by CobbvLajoie1910; 08-11-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Joe Hunter

Default A Doubleday Woodcut

I recently purchased an original copy of Harpers Pictorial History of the Civil War, Part One. This is a voluminous book published in the late 1800's containing 400 pages of Civil War woodcuts, maps, and text. While looking through it I noticed this woodcut with Capt Abner Doubleday. Just thought it was interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1181.jpg (77.3 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1179.jpg (76.3 KB, 307 views)
Old 08-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Mikeknapp

I just received this one in the mail today. It is my first die cut Chesterfield display piece. I really think 1950's advertising is classic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1951_Chesterfield_ad.jpg (78.5 KB, 394 views)
Old 08-12-2011, 06:16 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Picked up a Fred Merkle auto at a recent auction. Will go nicely next to my Fred Snodgrass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg merkle123.jpg (9.7 KB, 352 views)
Old 08-12-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Picked up a Fred Merkle auto at a recent auction. Will go nicely next to my Fred Snodgrass.
Mike,
Nice momento of "the boner"!!
Old 08-12-2011, 06:24 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Thanks Scott. I wonder if anyone will get my inside joke when I have Merkle and Snodgrass next to each other on my wall. One known for the "boner" and the other known for the "muff".
Old 08-12-2011, 08:58 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Default New bat (to me)

Roger Peckinpaugh. This one looks to come from the 1922-25 label period.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peckinpaugh bat 8 11.jpg (78.9 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg Peckinpaugh label 8 11.jpg (70.8 KB, 343 views)
Old 08-12-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks Scott. I wonder if anyone will get my inside joke when I have Merkle and Snodgrass next to each other on my wall. One known for the "boner" and the other known for the "muff".
Mike,
That's pretty funny! I love it!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:25 AM
JeR@Me

Default August Pick Up :

August Pick up :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1905SouthernLeagueRecordBook_0001.jpg (78.4 KB, 338 views)
File Type: jpg 1905SouthernLeagueRecordBook_0002.jpg (77.1 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg 1905SouthernLeagueRecordBook_0008.jpg (78.0 KB, 330 views)
Old 08-12-2011, 09:29 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Also, two men whose lives were permanently damaged -- even ruined? --by a single play.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Dan Brown

Default 1905 schedule

Nice pickup Jeremy!
Old 08-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Mark, not sure how damaged they were but they both were known for those plays for the rest of their lives, as well as to this day. Interesting note, I was unaware the Merkle was also involved in a play that could have taken Snodgrass off the hook. Turns out that Chief Meyers was as much to blame for the loss as Snodgrass but never got the blame:
http://old.thedailystar.com/sports/2...phamilton.html