NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Rich
R1ch Sm1th

Default My silly e98 Connie Mack motivation

I'm somewhat new to the board, even though I've been collecting pre war cards for six years now and baseball cards in general since I was a kid. Six years ago I bought my first T206 and instantly fell in love with the set. As I learned more about pre war cards, I was introduced to the E98 set, and in particular the Connie Mack card. For whatever reason I was instantly attracted to it, and have admired it ever since.

Last year, I started a small business with guy I've know for a number of years. He found the backing of a well established businessman here in town, and in March we opened our doors. In August, I bought one of the PSA Black Swamp Connie Mack reprints that were given out at the National show. (I loathe reprints in general, but I fully understand the how/why/what behind these.) It sits on my desk here at work as motivation. Someday, somehow, I'll own one. Does anyone else have silly motivation in regards to cards?

Rich
Old 12-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Robert A

If you're a Cubs fan like I am, then you know all about silly motivation.

The E98 Mack is a great card. One of my favorites. I had all 4 colors at one time and a couple others over the years but it's fairly hard to find in nice shape. I don't believe I've had one over a 2, but that's how I collect anyways. A lot of folks refer to it as the "sitting on the toilet" pose which is kind of funny, but I think it's one of the most classic poses of all of the small candy sets.

Best of luck with it.

Rob
Old 12-03-2012, 03:31 PM
J@RR0D

While I don't have any "motivation cards" per se, I do love old manager/coach/executive cards. The first vintage card I ever bought was a 1954 Topps Heinie Manush coach card. I guess it stuck with me.

One I want to own someday is this one (even though Huggins wasn't a manager yet):

It reminds me of this one, my favorite from the '51 Bowman set:

The first vintage set I completed was '56 Topps and I loved this Mayo Smith card, plus the set had Warren Giles & William Harridge cards:

Last edited by scmavl; 12-03-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Rich
R1ch Sm1th

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramelcard View Post
If you're a Cubs fan like I am, then you know all about silly motivation.

The E98 Mack is a great card. One of my favorites. I had all 4 colors at one time and a couple others over the years but it's fairly hard to find in nice shape. I don't believe I've had one over a 2, but that's how I collect anyways. A lot of folks refer to it as the "sitting on the toilet" pose which is kind of funny, but I think it's one of the most classic poses of all of the small candy sets.

Best of luck with it.

Rob
Yep, been a Cubs fan since I was ten years old. I have two daughters and a son, and have cursed them with the love of all things Cubs baseball.

Thanks for the encouragement, I appreciate it!

Rich
Old 12-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Jimi

My "toilet" card on the right. Love it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.0 KB, 127 views)
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 12-03-2012, 06:08 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

I'm usually hesitant to post post-war cards over here (where is the love in the post-war section?) but since this thread has been breeched and Stengel traversed eras:
(Edited: added a couple of Jennings to be thread appropriate)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg topps_1958_League_Presidents.jpg (44.2 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg Topps_1965_Stengel.jpg (39.1 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg T206_Jennings_bothhands.jpg (32.9 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg T206_Jennings_port.jpg (31.2 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by Paul S; 12-03-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Rich
R1ch Sm1th

Those are beautiful cards Jimi, thanks for sharing!

Are there other Connie Mack cards out there? I'd be interested in seeing more from different years. I've seen his Cracker Jack card, but that's about it.

Rich
Old 12-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

I'm a big fan of Mack's M101-5. Classic Connie in his suit in the dugout. Gotta love how he always wore a suit while managing his team. Sorry I don't have a pic of it right now. Maybe someone can post one for us.

Best,

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 12-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Mack....and Plank....and Marquard.....1913 Derby Cigar cards....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ptunc1913derbymackplank2x2.jpg (78.1 KB, 66 views)