NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-18-2013, 02:57 PM

Default Advantages of a Spreadsheet

Hey everyone,
Well, after about three years of collecting, I finally constructed a spreadsheet about 1.5 months back. I don't know about you, but I find them to be the best tool to stay organized. It allows easy access to my cards and gives me a clear picture of what I have to work with. By creating a spreadsheet, some advantages are:
  • It allows you to know what inventory you have.
  • It displays specifications and details (ex. Condition, Value, Cost, Place of Purchase, etc.)
  • You do not have to be right next to your cards .
  • It is easy to update, add to, and delete cells (slots).

These are just some of the great main reasons why to have a spreadsheet. Now this thread is focused on those who are just starting collections, or people who need to find a sense of organization when it comes to their collection. I honestly believe this is the method to work with, regardless of the value and amount of cards in one's collection.

If you have any other reasons why a spreadsheet is advantageous to any collection, please comment too!

I recommend starting one when a collection is in its early stages. I started mine when I had 70+ t206 cards in, with about 10 different categories regarding specifications, which was time consuming but worth it. Regardless, once it is up and operational, and if the owner is consistent when it comes to updating, it really comes in handy. I hope you guys agree too!
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo View Post
Hey everyone,
Well, after about three years of collecting, I finally constructed a spreadsheet about 1.5 months back. I don't know about you, but I find them to be the best tool to stay organized. It allows easy access to my cards and gives me a clear picture of what I have to work with. By creating a spreadsheet, some advantages are:
  • It allows you to know what inventory you have.
  • It displays specifications and details (ex. Condition, Value, Cost, Place of Purchase, etc.)
  • It is easy to update, add to, and delete cells (slots).

These are just some of the great main reasons why to have a spreadsheet. Now this thread is focused on those who are just starting collections, or people who need to find a sense of organization when it comes to their collection. I honestly believe this is the method to work with, regardless of the value and amount of cards in one's collection.

If you have any other reasons why a spreadsheet is advantageous to any collection, please comment too!

I recommend starting one when a collection is in its early stages. I started mine when I had 70+ t206 cards in, with about 10 different categories regarding specifications, which was time consuming but worth it. Regardless, once it is up and operational, and if the owner is consistent when it comes to updating, it really comes in handy. I hope you guys agree too!

Welcome to the Twenty-First century, Josh

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 01-18-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:10 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo View Post
What?! Forget it!

Last edited by Paul S; 01-18-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Spreadsheets Gone Wild

It's even better to have 17 spreadsheets, then you can always find a discrepancy between spreadsheets that look at the data from a different perspective. This results is hours of mindless research to resolve the conflicting data. After a while, once the spreadsheets get large enough, you'll find that you don't need or have time for the cards.

A large trade must be weighed in terms of how much time will be consumed entering the data into your system and making sure there are no conflicts when finished.

I'm seriously considering just keeping my cards and trading spreadsheets instead.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

although only 20 or so cards into my T205 set, i created a spread sheet , for each card, front, back, what i spent, what i think its value is, the vairation, and the grade. It deff helps me in not getting dups of a card, as well as giving me a great history of what i payed and what i need. Took about 2 hours do do but very happy with the result
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:31 PM
Jeff P

I've been using spreadsheets for years and years. I've looked at pretty much every card collecting software package out there and cannot find something that I like better. A couple of other great points about using spreadsheets:

1. I download them to my phone so I can take them to shows with me in electronic form. No more carrying around a binder full of paper sheets
2. They are automatically backed up with my backup software so there is no risk I will lose or misplace my lists
3. A large collection can be maintained easily. I put each year on a separate tab with each set of a given year on a different page within a tab
4. You can easily build summary pages that track how many cards you still need across the sets you are building

jeff
Old 01-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Jake

Is there some way to link cards to their scans? Or would a seperate type of software be needed?

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Greg S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post
Is there some way to link cards to their scans? Or would a seperate type of software be needed?
There are a couple of ways to do this; easiest is to add a hyperlink to the location in a separate column (you could also hyperlink another field, such as your card name field). The link can point anywhere - your hard drive, thumb drive, web location, etc.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:02 PM

Exactly. That's the way I'd do it.

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:21 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
I've been using spreadsheets for years and years. I've looked at pretty much every card collecting software package out there and cannot find something that I like better. A couple of other great points about using spreadsheets:

1. I download them to my phone so I can take them to shows with me in electronic form. No more carrying around a binder full of paper sheets
2. They are automatically backed up with my backup software so there is no risk I will lose or misplace my lists
3. A large collection can be maintained easily. I put each year on a separate tab with each set of a given year on a different page within a tab
4. You can easily build summary pages that track how many cards you still need across the sets you are building

jeff
Jeff's post sums up exactly how I use spreadsheets. I haven't found a better way, but to be honest I'm not really looking as this works really well.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post

jeff
I use mine through Google Docs, which allows me to make a detailed spreadsheet, as well as access it from my phone and computer.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:47 AM
George

I have been using spreadsheets for years to organize my collection and have found it to be my #1 go to resource. I've also saved it on my phone, and usb stick in case my computer dies on me.

My recommendation (and I'm sure most of you are doing this anyway) is to update the spreadsheet as soon as you receive an item. It is quite a painful task to have to go back through emails, auction sites etc. to figure out the details of a given transaction several months back. That said, if you used Paypal to purchase an item you can typically find the auction description even ones from several years back.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:38 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarius31 View Post
My recommendation (and I'm sure most of you are doing this anyway) is to update the spreadsheet as soon as you receive an item. It is quite a painful task to have to go back through emails, auction sites etc. to figure out the details of a given transaction several months back.
Absolutely! And if you go to a show and are digging around in boxes and/or binders looking for cards you need, updating your spreadsheet immediately will make sure you don't purchase the same card several times. One day at a large show I got lazy and didn't do this and ended up purchasing three of the same card! It was only a common but annoying just the same.

jeff