NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

Default The 2013 "National" in Chicago

I didn't see another thread about the national convention (except for one asking about hotels) so I figured I would start one for anyone who is new and had questions, or is a veteran and can give info.

The 34th National is scheduled forJuly 31-August 4, 2013 at the Donald E Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, IL
http://www.nsccshow.com/show_details.shtml

Personally, I have never been to one, but I am more than excited to be there this year. I am only a 4 hour drive away and plan to spend QUITE A BIT of time there this year.

I understand there is a Net54 dinner? Am I invited.... PLEASE??
Where/when is this? I realize (probably directing this at Leon) that it is just a touch early ..... but time is ticking by and I am already planning strategies.

Does anyone have any tips? I will probably be there almost every second the doors are open so I will have plenty of time to see EVERYTHING.

I will definitely be doing some buying ... and I will be there for the pre-entry, but is there much trading going on there as well? Would it be worth my time to lug some "trade power" around with me?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:17 AM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

nobody has anything for me?

ok, i get the hint ...... i'm NOT invited to the net54 dinner .......

but any advice on the trading??

geez you are all a tough group!!
Old 02-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Mike Bodner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkammeyer View Post
nobody has anything for me?

ok, i get the hint ...... i'm NOT invited to the net54 dinner .......

but any advice on the trading??

geez you are all a tough group!!
Sorry...was day dreaming about the show as I was thinking of tips..
Old 02-12-2013, 09:24 AM
Mike Bodner

IMO it's never too early to start the National discussion! I lost track of what number this is for me...18-20th? Allow more than enough time to enjoy the show. I have found that most dealers will trade or buy. They've put out a lot of money to get to the show but they never turn away nice stuff they can add to their inventory.

Take a backpack or a briefcase. Something that is easy to carry and has enough room for your trade bait, purchases, water and snacks (unless you want to pay $8+ for a hot dog and a drink. Comfortable shoes are a must and hawaiian shirts are optional but increase your chance of being in a Bill Simmons blog. It's about a half mile plus hike to the parking garage or attached hotels so you won't want to be going back and forth more than once.

I'm sure others can offer many more great tips. Enjoy your 1st National..they can be addicting!
Old 02-12-2013, 09:31 AM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmrson View Post
IMO it's never too early to start the National discussion! I lost track of what number this is for me...18-20th? Allow more than enough time to enjoy the show. I have found that most dealers will trade or buy. They've put out a lot of money to get to the show but they never turn away nice stuff they can add to their inventory.

Take a backpack or a briefcase. Something that is easy to carry and has enough room for your trade bait, purchases, water and snacks (unless you want to pay $8+ for a hot dog and a drink. Comfortable shoes are a must and hawaiian shirts are optional but increase your chance of being in a Bill Simmons blog. It's about a half mile plus hike to the parking garage or attached hotels so you won't want to be going back and forth more than once.

I'm sure others can offer many more great tips. Enjoy your 1st National..they can be addicting!
Good lord ... thank you so much for the response
I was starting to feel like the rookie getting his first homerun and having the team give me the silent treatment as a joke.

Is there much trading that happens between "spectators"?? I know dang well I'm going to meet a bunch of you while I am there, but I am trying to get a feel for the place. Is there much trading that goes on between folks just walking around?

As far as a backpack ... i have that covered like chocolate on a cherry at christmas time. I have military backpacks that I sell on eBay (and I'll probably offer a few here at cost for anyone who needs one) .... I can carry 200 pounds like it's nobody's business .....

I'm just picking some brains to make my first outing the best it can possibly be.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Dan Brown

Here's a post that may be helpful from last year
's National in Baltimore.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...l+in+baltimore
Old 02-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebro041 View Post
Here's a post that may be helpful from last year
's National in Baltimore.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...l+in+baltimore

+1 thank you.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Mike Bodner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkammeyer View Post
Is there much trading that happens between "spectators"?? I know dang well I'm going to meet a bunch of you while I am there, but I am trying to get a feel for the place.

Last time, Chicago was bad for taking a rest or meeting people. There were very few tables. I didn't have a VIP badge which has use of the lounge. That could be better. I got the VIP package for the 1st time last year and will get that again this year. I managed to sell off my autograph tickets and promos and spent only about $5 more/day to get in early.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:20 PM

Here's a beginner's guide to the National:

My advice to first timers is to wear comfortable shoes, carry a large shoulder bag or a pack for your cash, want lists, top loads, plastic cases, and a small box for graded cards. Leave your coat/jacket/sweater in your car. it will be warm at the show. Bring a pen and a notebook to keep track of your purchases and to make a map of dealer booths so you can remember where you saw particular items. Don't pay the listed price for anything. Many times the dealers will offer you a discount before you ask for one. It doesn't hurt to ask for a larger discount that the one that they offer. If you are looking for specific items in specific grades, make a list of the prices that you are willing to pay. It is easy to overpay at the show. If you look hard enough you will find a few bargains, but it may take some time. Bring a small flashlight,a loupe, and a magnifying glass. Bring some $1 bills and $5 bills. It is surprising how many dealers don't have enough change.

When you see a card in a dealers showcase with no price, and you ask the dealer how much he wants for it, usually if he says, "hold on a minute, I'll look it up", you can count on the dealer asking for much more than it is worth. Generally he will be looking for suckers who are willing to overpay, or he really doesn't know how much it is worth and he is "fishing" to see what you will offer. It seems like some of the dealers don't like to acknowledge that you are looking at their cards, and that you may like to buy something from them. They are too busy eating, reading, or sorting their cards to look up and say "hi". It also seems that the dealers who do acknowledge you, talk to you, and ask you questions are the ones who are willing to be flexible on their prices. Some of the dealers are there to sell their cards and turn over their inventory, and some seem to bring the same overpriced crap to show after show.

You will have a blast at the show even if you don't buy anything. The variety and quality of the cards is amazing.

Looking forward to seeing you at the National !!!
Old 02-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I moved this from the water cooler section. I sure do appreciate members being careful where they post stuff. So thanks to Steve for that as it was posted in a good spot. I am sure the few members responding already will be joined by others with questions too, is the reason I moved it.
I had lunch yesterday with Heritage and I am hopeful they will be helping sponsor it again. So, I believe there will be a Net54baseball dinner again this year (maybe 11th or so time) and if we do have one it will definitely be on Friday night again. If I were betting I would bet it will be across the street from the National, as always. More details as I get them but I am working on it. I realize I have to nail down a large ballroom very soon. Nothing in writing yet but I am hopeful. It seems everyone has a good time at them even though last year I had to act like an arse and ask folks to be courteous and not have conversations while our speakers were speaking. After I get a few (too many) beers in me I can be a real dic*.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:59 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

My first card show, pretty stoked.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:01 PM
pete ullman

+++++1...people can be so rude sometimes!

"Please, no need to apologize for this. It's one thing to make the occasional comment/question to a table-mate while someone is speaking. Another thing altogether when I have to listen to someone 2-3 tables away (who is louder than the speaker) droning on-and-on about something unrelated while the guest is speaking. Even if you're not interested, at least have the common courtesy to allow OTHERS to listen.

If people have to be reminded about this, YOU aren't the one acting like an arse. "
Old 02-13-2013, 06:37 AM
nels0n aud.et

One day i will go to the nats. But not this year..
Old 02-13-2013, 07:03 AM
Sean Brennan

Anyone know who the autograph guests will be?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:07 AM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

Thanks for the tips everyone! Looks like we have a good start here. Summer can't get here fast enough!
Old 02-13-2013, 07:10 AM
Jason C.

Like Brian a couple posts above, I'd like to also ask about transportation to downtown and/or other things to do. My family went two years ago for just one day. My son was 11 at the time and had a blast with me. My daughter was 9 and she found a few things (seriously, they had stuffed animals there? Crazy.) but mainly she and my wife stayed at the hotel.

We are nervous about driving in large cities so the girls going on an excursion alone was out of the question. But there didn't seem to be anything at all for them to do nearby, either. I'd like to go for a couple of days, but I don't want the girls to be trapped in the hotel for that long. Any suggestions? Even a mall or shopping area close by (preferably without having to get back on the freeway) would help.

Thanks!
Jason
Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 AM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschris View Post
Like Brian a couple posts above, I'd like to also ask about transportation to downtown and/or other things to do. My family went two years ago for just one day. My son was 11 at the time and had a blast with me. My daughter was 9 and she found a few things (seriously, they had stuffed animals there? Crazy.) but mainly she and my wife stayed at the hotel.

We are nervous about driving in large cities so the girls going on an excursion alone was out of the question. But there didn't seem to be anything at all for them to do nearby, either. I'd like to go for a couple of days, but I don't want the girls to be trapped in the hotel for that long. Any suggestions? Even a mall or shopping area close by (preferably without having to get back on the freeway) would help.

Thanks!
Jason
Jason, From the convention center walk north on River Rd. under the expressway to the CTA Blue Line stop on the right. Get on going east. You can get off at various points along the way. If you want to go to Wrigley get off at the Addison stop and then get on a bus going east to Clark and Addison. If you want to go to downtown Chicago stay on the CTA Blue Line all the way down to the Loop and get off at Clark and Lake. Once you're downtown there are a million places to go. Check out the ledge at the top of the Sears/Willis Tower. I would highly recommend the Millenium Park area and the Pritzker Pavillion, BP Bridge, Lurie Gardens, Ramp up to the Modern Wing of the Art Institute. You can walk north on Michigan Avenue over the River onto the Magnificent Mile for shopping. Along the lakefront in the summer is awesome. A bike/running path all the way and great for people watching. North Avenue Beach is a happening spot. If you're downtown and want to go to Wrigley you can get on the Red Line on State Street, east of Clark and Lake. Looks like the Cubs are home during the Convention. Playing the Brewers during the week and then the Dodgers on the weekend! If anyone needs a list of restaurants to check out let me know. Charles. P.S. If you want to go on a little Curse of the Cubs tour check out "The Billy Goat" on lower Michigan just north of the river and then head a little west to Harry Carey's Restaurant where they blew up the Bartman ball and made pasta sauce out of it! LOL.

Last edited by BengoughingForAwhile; 02-13-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:29 AM
Tony Gordon

Another option to Wrigley is to take the Blue Line all the way Downtown to Clark and Lake and switch to the Red Line going North, then get off at Addison.

I can't recommend taking a cab from Rosemont to Wrigley. You'll spend $50 or $60 via a cab while the CTA is $2.25 a ride.

You can also take the CTA from Rosemont to Comiskey/US Cellular. Take the Blue Line to Clark and Lake or Jackson, switch to the Red Line south and get off at 35th Street.

Last edited by Tony Gordon; 02-13-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:14 PM
Vincent Hecksel

Default Jason, for your wife and daughter . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubs1969 View Post
Jason, From the convention center walk north on River Rd. under the expressway to the CTA Blue Line stop on the right. Get on going east. You can get off at various points along the way. If you want to go to Wrigley get off at the Addison stop and then get on a bus going east to Clark and Addison. If you want to go to downtown Chicago stay on the CTA Blue Line all the way down to the Loop and get off at Clark and Lake. Once you're downtown there are a million places to go. Check out the ledge at the top of the Sears/Willis Tower. I would highly recommend the Millenium Park area and the Pritzker Pavillion, BP Bridge, Lurie Gardens, Ramp up to the Modern Wing of the Art Institute. You can walk north on Michigan Avenue over the River onto the Magnificent Mile for shopping. Along the lakefront in the summer is awesome. A bike/running path all the way and great for people watching. North Avenue Beach is a happening spot. If you're downtown and want to go to Wrigley you can get on the Red Line on State Street, east of Clark and Lake. Looks like the Cubs are home during the Convention. Playing the Brewers during the week and then the Dodgers on the weekend! If anyone needs a list of restaurants to check out let me know. Charles. P.S. If you want to go on a little Curse of the Cubs tour check out "The Billy Goat" on lower Michigan just north of the river and then head a little west to Harry Carey's Restaurant where they blew up the Bartman ball and made pasta sauce out of it! LOL.
. . . and adding to Cubs1969 list above, I have no doubt your family will very much enjoy the Natural History (Field) Museum and Shedd's Aquarium, which are located nearly next to each other.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:36 AM
Mike Bodner

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit1 View Post
Anyone know who the autograph guests will be?
The initial list of signers is up.

http://www.tristarproductions.com/National/index.html
Old 02-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmrson View Post
WOW .... some serious business there. Good signers already!
Also, not announced yet ..... but I will be signing as well. FOR FREE!
Old 02-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Sugar Ray Leonard; nice! If they can get Duran too I might have to crack this out:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-16-2013 at 02:43 PM.