NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-29-2013, 02:27 PM
Tim Caravella

Default O/T (kind of) I'm not that smart, but......

The Yankees really blew it this year. It was 100 years ago that the Highlanders were renamed to the Yankees. Remember the great job the Red Sox did last year for 100 years of Fenway? Is it just me, or are the Yankees missing a golden opportunity to celebrate 100 years of the most storied franchise in history and cash in on a complete marketing/merchandise campaign with all the fan fare? I even emailed them last fall and told them they should model themselves after the year long celebration of Fenway. (As big a Yankee fan that I am, I went to Fenway last year and enjoyed all the history that I saw, it was amazing and I know some board members actually had items on display inside Fenway...) Think of the history that could have been displayed at the stadium and all the Highlander jerseys and hats that could have been sold. Again, I know I'm not that smart, but.......

Tim
Old 04-30-2013, 02:02 AM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcdyess View Post
The Yankees really blew it this year. It was 100 years ago that the Highlanders were renamed to the Yankees. Remember the great job the Red Sox did last year for 100 years of Fenway? Is it just me, or are the Yankees missing a golden opportunity to celebrate 100 years of the most storied franchise in history and cash in on a complete marketing/merchandise campaign with all the fan fare? I even emailed them last fall and told them they should model themselves after the year long celebration of Fenway. (As big a Yankee fan that I am, I went to Fenway last year and enjoyed all the history that I saw, it was amazing and I know some board members actually had items on display inside Fenway...) Think of the history that could have been displayed at the stadium and all the Highlander jerseys and hats that could have been sold. Again, I know I'm not that smart, but.......

Tim
Well Tim, I'm not a Yankee fan but I think you have a wonderful idea & I agree that they are missing a golden opportunity to celebrate the 100 year history in perfect historical fashion-it's odd that they wouldn't think of this. And it would be awesome to see them play in Highlanders jerseys and hats-or throwbacks of the whole uniforms at least for a game. Great idea, I think you are that smart

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 04-30-2013, 08:27 AM
Belltown Vintage

In 'The Book of Base Ball, 1911', they are only referred to as the Yankees - no mention whatsoever of 'Highlanders'. Perhaps it's the fuzziness of the date changeover that has kept them from doing anything.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:33 AM
Jeff Emerson

Baltimore Orioles 1901-1902
New York Highlanders 1903-1912
New York Yankees 1913-present
Old 04-30-2013, 08:41 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsets4u View Post
Baltimore Orioles 1901-1902
New York Highlanders 1903-1912
New York Yankees 1913-present
Not sure where the 1913 number would come from if they were the Yankees in 1911 - my guess is that someone more recently picked 1913 without really knowing when the change took place. But if the franchise recognizes '1913' as the official name change, I suppose they should begin celebrating.

This Baseball Fever thread has some interesting stuff on the name changeover.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...k-Yankees-quot

Last edited by Runscott; 04-30-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:56 AM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

The 1911 T205s have them listed as the Yankees. Did that nickname not become official until 1913?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fisher.jpg (22.2 KB, 284 views)
Old 04-30-2013, 11:32 AM
And.rew C0rs0

I believe in that era teams had official nicknames and alternative but more popular commonly-used nicknames...or no official nickname and a bunch of commonly used nicknames. 1913 was likely the year the name 'Yankees' became official but it had been used for several years prior, thus explaining why it was on a 1911 baseball card.

Even more confusing is the history of the Dodgers team name...they had a host of various commonly-used nicknames before Dodgers became official (for example, the Superbas) and the history of when one name began and the others ended is murky.

Particularly convoluted is the history of baseball in Washington. Everyone is surprised to find out that even the Washington Senators of the 1900s - 1950s were officially known as the Washington Nationals even though they ceased being referred to as the Nationals around the turn of the century. The Nationals name currently used has a longer and more official, arguably, lineage than the Senators moniker.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:36 AM
Jake

I really don't think the name is that important.

The Yankees basically had three nicknames.

New York Americans
New York Highlanders
New York Yankees

There are Newspapers referring to them as the Yankees as early as 1904. But all of them could have been used to refer to them.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!

Last edited by Jlighter; 04-30-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:46 PM
Tim Caravella

This is off the Yankee website........ clearly states "officially renamed yankees in April 1913..... I really think they missed the boat on this one.....

http://mlb.mlb.com/nyy/history/timeline1.jsp

Tim

Last edited by tcdyess; 04-30-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Jake

Quote:
This is off the Yankee website........ clearly states "officially renamed yankees in April 1913..... I really think they missed the boat on this one.....

http://mlb.mlb.com/nyy/history/timeline1.jsp

Tim
Yes it was "officially" recognized, but they had been called the Yankees for a number of years.

The U.S. declared independence in 1776, but wasn't officially recognized until 1783. We still have our centennial's on the '76.

I think the Yankees centennial was much more important as well as concrete. It was officially celebrated in 2003.

Always up for a trade.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Belltown Vintage

I'd like to see anything printed in 1913 that states that they were officially changing their name. Not saying it doesn't exist, but it's odd that no one has ever shown it.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Tim Caravella

Ok, great input from everyone, but I think some of you are missing my intention. Strictly from a business/marketing/PR side, the Yankees clearly had an opportunity to capitalize on a 100 year event that they themselves claim on their own website. It really doesn't matter what the truth is, they could have marketed the Highlander/Yankee thing to the hilt and come up with a huge pay day and some great historic events and fun for the fans at the same time. Again, strictly from a business/marketing/PR standpoint.... It amazes me that a business the size of this one would completely miss out.....

Thanks for all the input.....

Tim

Last edited by tcdyess; 05-01-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I'd like to see anything printed in 1913 that states that they were officially changing their name. Not saying it doesn't exist, but it's odd that no one has ever shown it.
Exactly, it never happened. It's my understanding that they were mainly known as the Highlanders until around 1913 or so when they simply started identifying themselves foremost as the Yankees around that time. Nothing official. The name "Highlanders" only referred to their park, Hilltop Park, which was at the top of NYC. "Yankees" was just a nickname that slowly stuck.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Ok, great input from everyone, but I think some of you are missing my intention. Strictly from a business/marketing/PR side, the Yankees clearly had an opportunity to capitalize on a 100 year event that they themselves claim on their own website. It really doesn't matter what the truth is, they could have marketed the Highlander/Yankee thing to the hilt and come up with a huge pay day and some great historic events and fun for the fans at the same time. Again, strictly from a business/marketing/PR standpoint.... It amazes me that a business the size of this one would completely miss out.....

Thanks for all the input.....

Tim
Tim, I agree with you. I thought the 'fuzziness' of the date was the reason, but since their organization is stating that 1913 is the year, it does appear that they are missing an opportunity.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Jake

Here's an article from 1908 where the name Highlanders isn't even used.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...DF405B888CF1D3

Always up for a trade.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:07 PM
Belltown Vintage

Someone mentioned this above, but ALL of the 1911 t205 Cards for the team have 'Yankees' printed on the front. It appears that the 'highlanders' name was history by then.

Last edited by Runscott; 05-15-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:33 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default It doesn't take a marketing genius

Methinks all the fuzziness about the timing of the Highlander-Yankee name change should not inhibit or prevent a celebration, but merely prolong it.

Why not celebrate the "birth" of the Yankees with a decade long centennial celebration?

All the crappy little Highlander souvenirs that you don't sell one year, you can sell the next. The team could use the funky Highlander retro uniforms more than once, each year in fact. I think the tradition of a "Highlander" week would be picked up by local pubs as well.

Yes, Tim, the Yankees did drop the ball on this one, but then again I always enjoy seeing the Yankees drop the ball.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:17 AM
Belltown Vintage

Perhaps one of the five gazillionaire starters on the DL has some clause in their contract that prevents team celebrations if they are injured?

I'm not a Yankee fan, but it's impressive what they've done this year with their back-ups - seems it took getting rid of a few balloon-heads in order to find team chemistry.