NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default This is ridiculous on a few levels- Fro Joy

Please don't bid on this thinking it's a real card. At best it was cut from a poster and will never be anything but cut from a poster. It is NOT a Fro Joy baseball card. It will not be holdered by a legit company with a numerical grade and shouldn't even grade AUT, imo...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE1928-BAB...item3cd742c496

Old 10-19-2013, 10:39 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Well, leon. Whether or not it's a "card" is kinda subjective. Some people might still find it to be a card, even if it was cut from a poster. The question is, was it cut from one of the legit Fro Joy posters?

If so,(and I'm sure I'm not alone), holderable or not, some of us might still consider something like this legit... It's something that's right in the ballpark for us bottom feeder types.

Having said that, I don't know enough about the issue to say if it was period or not. So I'll be steering clear..

Last edited by novakjr; 10-19-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
Well, leon. Whether or not it's a "card" is kinda subjective. Some people might still find it to be a card, even if it was cut from a poster. The question is, was it cut from one of the legit Fro Joy posters?

If so,(and I'm sure I'm not alone), holderable or not, some of us might still consider something like this legit... It's something that's right in the ballpark for us bottom feeder types.

Having said that, I don't know enough about the issue to say if it was period or not. So I'll be steering clear..
It is a cut from a poster. The description says this-

"This is an amazing VINTAGE 1928 BABE RUTH FRO-JOY ice cream authentic New York Yankees Baseball Card!"

How can you possibly defend that description, even when the next sentence does say it was cut from a poster? And the next sentence says it can but cut to perfection and graded, which is another falsehood. But please keep going...

Now, had he said, "this was cut from a poster and would make a nice collectible"....I would have no issue...but all of the other stuff is false, so, yes, I do have an issue with it. If you don't have an issue and don't care if someone is mislead, that is your call...

I would like to add a bit more.....if a grading company were to put "cut from poster" on the flip, then I wouldn't have an issue with one holdered as AUT. Transparency is key.

Last edited by Leon; 10-19-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:46 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

No, I wasn't defending the description. That's definitely fishy. I would consider that first sentence you quoted, as being fairly accurate though. A little fluffy? yes, but still technically accurate(assuming it is period). The leading someone to believe they could trim it down and submit if for some crazy high grade part, is definitely a problem though..

Just defending the item at hand(again, under the assumption that it is period). And that fact that, even cut from a poster, some people would still feel comfortable considering it a card. Whether slabbable or not..

I think your original post would've been better off, had it stuck with only addressing the obvious lies in the description, and then simply describing what the item actually is... We should never put down a legit item, just the deceptive nature of the seller of said item... and attempt to clear up any misconceptions..

Having said that, the description is clearly deceptive, and I agree someone will wind up overpaying, because they don't fully grasp what the item really is.. I'd like to see the item taken down and re-listed properly..

Last edited by novakjr; 10-19-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Not to defend the misleading listing, but there are people who collect Buchner poster cuts and N28-N29 album cuts.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Not to defend the misleading listing, but there are people who collect Buchner poster cuts and N28-N29 album cuts.
N28 cuts too....no worries. Just label and describe them correctly. I am sure I have a lot of "cuts" in my collection. But I know what they are and bought them as such. To say the card in auction can be cut to perfection and then graded? ok....
Old 10-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

I don't think it is real, on the back, the box lines don't touch which used to be a dead giveaway for it not being legit.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:10 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
I don't think it is real, on the back, the box lines don't touch which used to be a dead giveaway for it not being legit.
Now that's more like it. Now we have a legitimate concern about the item, beyond the description.

Like I said before, I don't have much experience with Fro-joys and couldn't speak for it being a period piece, or not. I believe all the arguments posted by me, leon, and everyone else were speculatively under the guise that it was at least period.

Now the discussion has become a whole new ballgame...Rather than requesting a re-list with a proper description, we have reason to believe it is simply a reprint, and should be removed alltogether..
Old 10-19-2013, 03:38 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
I agree Greg. That paper these are printed on doesn't look like 90 yr old paper either and the images have that fuzzy look. As you well know, more than almost anyone, the great majority of the Fro Joy cards, and the Fro Joy sheets, we see are reprints.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:22 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

The card was cut from a fake sheet and has been a primary source of fraudulent sales, whether accidental or intentional, since the 70's.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:03 AM
Zach

I like how the pre-grading cut was done by a professional. Only one more cut needed for grading perfection!
Old 10-21-2013, 10:02 AM

Default Real sheet?

Does anyone have a picture of a legitimate Fro Joy sheet? I just realized of all the real Fro Joy singles I have seen, I don't recall seeing one single legitimate sheet in person. I'm sure there has been a recent sale in an auction or something? Just a question of curiosity.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:09 AM
pete ullman

i've only got a fake one...i got taken while in college...i tried to post scan but apparently it's too big. you see real ones every now and then come up...usually with original envelope they came in.

they're not super rare...but fro joys are still pretty good deals considering they're vintage ruth cards...you just have to make sure you buy real ones!