NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > 1950 to 1959 Baseball cards- B/S/T

Old 04-05-2014, 06:00 AM
Eric
Eric

Default Looking for nice low grade 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle

Looking for a fair price on a 1-2 range PSA or SGC 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle. Want decent eye appeal and not destroyed by creases. Please PM with scan and price and I will get back to you. Thanks for looking!
Old 04-06-2014, 06:55 AM
Eric
Eric

Default Let's try this again

Anyone have one they want to sell? I have the funds. Thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Eric
Eric

Default Anybody?

Anyone?
Old 04-09-2014, 02:20 PM
Eric
Eric

Default Would like to get one of these...

As I know many of you would, but if anyone is looking to part with one, please let me know
Old 04-15-2014, 07:45 PM
Chris

Default My first post and you're 311

This is actually my first post and I'm reading all this good stuff from all these collectors. I've just now gotten to the point where I'm going after 311 but rather in a PSA 5, a 6 if some private guys come thru. And at worst a 4. So I'm in your boat too my friend. I'm about to start a thread and introduce myself and the fact that I'll be asking for any help locating the same card.
One day my freind we'll have it and truly appreciate one of the best cards of all time ... Good luck. Keep me posted dude.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:06 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Guys- like i told the OP here, look at the auction houses. May i say, stay away from Ebay as much as possible, unless you truely know the guy/dealer and would reccomemend a hand in hand visit. There are plenty to be have. Just take your time and find one with some good eye appeal. In my opinion, it may be very seldom to get one of the board member to let go of a higher grade card, but some may consider their lower graded ones and have done so (as you can search old BST threads)
I am waiting patiently for my Variation 'A' to come around to pair with my 'B"

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 04-16-2014 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:11 PM
Eric
Eric

Default Thanks for the help guys.

I think I missed a nice opportunity on the Huggins Scott auction. They had a nice SGC graded Mantle and I should have jumped on it. Ah well, so it goes. I think the auctions lately have had some nice examples. I will wait until the right one comes along and until my wife gives me her approval. I think I would rather spend a few more years with her than alone with #311
Old 04-19-2014, 10:34 AM
Matt

I have been an avid collector and student of the 1952 Mantle and its market, including a virtual tracking catalogue of the known examples.

Suffice it to say that many, many, many collectors are after one. It is arguably the first card people look to see in a collection.

And a great deal of guys are seeking just what the OP is seeking. I know three friends actively in the hunt for a low-grade/high-eye appeal example.

Any 52 Mantle with eye appeal is something of a chimera. Just looking at the 6s, 7s, and 8s, one sees the majority even in these "high grades" have "low eye appeal."

Indeed the #311 is a card that a collector spends so much time looking at and admiring, the market for this card has turned in recent years to eye appeal. No matter what the sticker says, there is no turning off your brain and eyes if you are staring at an OC, tilted, or scuffed example.

All that said, my advice to the OP is this--

If you are wanting a PSA/SGC 1 or 2 that somehow has NO creases and also some eye appeal, you are talking about a relative handful of examples extant.

And when one of these specimens surfaces, any owner/seller is going to put it up at auction or for a VERY high BIN. The demand is simply ENORMOUS, and the supply is relatively infinitesimal.

So most importantly, if you are serious about getting a 52 Mantle with no creases and eye appeal, be ready to compete and pay strong. I have seen so many guys talk about how they want one, then they come to a gunfight with a slingshot. They look at VCP and think they are going to get a great 1 or 2 for the VCP average or close to it, and then someone else who knows what it takes steps up and wins the card.

If you are lucky enough to come across a specimen like the ideal one described in a private sale setting, jump all over it.

And if the price feels too steep but the card looks great, holler at me and I'll buy it
Old 04-19-2014, 12:42 PM
Eric
Eric

Default Thanks for the advice

I should clarify. I am basically looking for a nice looking Mantle and I realize that is ambiguous but will know when I see it. I am willing to look at anything and it by no means has to be an amazing card because if it were, it would not be graded low. I am just trying to see what is out there. Appreciate everyone's advice. I will have one some day just may take awhile
Old 04-19-2014, 01:20 PM
Chris

Good luck! I found one of mine on the forum and was very pleased with the transaction and card! Depending on your budget, Dean's Cards has, or maybe had at this point, a beautiful PSA authentic with the eye appeal of a 9 (I think it has a slight deceptive trim). The price varies but I believe I have seen it as low as 9K.