NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-20-2014, 09:30 AM

Default F. Scott Fitzgerald stamp Prices???

Hi there, I am wanting to sell my F. Scott Fitzgerald in the BST here but I can't find any information on any auction or bay pricing, so not really sure what to start asking number at??

Any information would be helpful

Thanks Tucker
Old 06-20-2014, 09:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

So did you forget about this thread or are you just trying to sell on the main forum?

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=177699
Old 06-20-2014, 09:48 AM

Default Didn't forget

I didn't forget just haven't found anything more on these cards. Please delete if this is in wrong place, sorry

Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
So did you forget about this thread or are you just trying to sell on the main forum?

Old 06-20-2014, 09:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckr1 View Post
I didn't forget just haven't found anything more on these cards. Please delete if this is in wrong place, sorry

Tucker
Not really the wrong place, I was just pointing out that it has been discussed before. Please just be cognizant of not selling on the main board. Good luck, no worries and nothing personal at all. take care.....
Old 06-20-2014, 09:56 AM

Default Thanks Leon

I was just wondering if anyone had any updates on these cards or recent auction prices that I may have missed. I don't see these hardly ever come up for sale? Was just seeing if anymore information has surfaced on these cards??

Thanks Tucker
Old 06-20-2014, 02:24 PM
And.rew C0rs0

Just list it in the Auction section of B/S/T and you will get many interested people. You don't have to worry about what price to start the listing ($1) because that will take care of itself.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:47 PM
Luke Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc2q View Post
Just list it in the Auction section of B/S/T and you will get many interested people. You don't have to worry about what price to start the listing ($1) because that will take care of itself.
This actually might be the best way to maximize your sell price. Most of the potential buyers are probably on this board, and you might do better selling as an auction than just taking offers.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:22 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLyon View Post
This actually might be the best way to maximize your sell price. Most of the potential buyers are probably on this board, and you might do better selling as an auction than just taking offers.
I agree... There are a lot of tea 206 collectors on this board that know about this stamp... It would never disappear like it might on eBay. Auction it on bst...start it at $40.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:46 PM
Zach

I bid $45!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:11 PM
Ben H*ds@n

Post a scan of the card!
Old 06-23-2014, 07:44 AM

Default heres some pics

The blue framing around the card is a 2002 Topps Buyback holder

Thanks Tucker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F. Scott Fitzgerald 001.jpg (39.6 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg F. Scott Fitzgerald 002.jpg (37.6 KB, 318 views)
Old 06-23-2014, 11:45 AM
D@rek H.ogue

Here is mine.

It would be nice to see some legitimate proof and to gain a better understanding of this.

Has anyone ever seen anything from the supposed auction in 1951?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fscottback.jpg (67.4 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg fscottfront.jpg (74.1 KB, 292 views)
Old 06-23-2014, 12:03 PM

Default Nice

Nice Derek, thanks for sharing. I am very interested in any information or proof about these cards as well???

Seems to be very limited info on these cards. One member was trying to get in touch with F. Scott Museum but I haven't heard if they got any results??
Old 06-23-2014, 05:59 PM
And.rew C0rs0

I think the lack of information on this stamp is due in large part to the desire many people have to keep the myth/mystique contained. This is an exceptionally easy stamp to replicate (of course, that is an assumption as I would not try to do it). Once that cat is out of the bag forgeries will be all over the market -- if they are not already. Proving a card ever belonged to F. Scott Fitzgerald seems tough at this stage so it seems better to just maintain the myth and leave it at that. Too much attention will ruin the intrigue.

I have one and have tried to buy more since (in fact, Derek, I was the underbidder on that Bowerman) but I recognize the mystique has its limits. It makes a great story and I tell visitors who inquire about my cards this provenance story the first chance I get. It rejuvenates their interest following their disappointment when I have to say, "No, I don't have a Honus Wagner." I am happy keeping it as a tale without proof...
Old 06-23-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc2q View Post
I think the lack of information on this stamp is due in large part to the desire many people have to keep the myth/mystique contained. This is an exceptionally easy stamp to replicate (of course, that is an assumption as I would not try to do it). Once that cat is out of the bag forgeries will be all over the market -- if they are not already. Proving a card ever belonged to F. Scott Fitzgerald seems tough at this stage so it seems better to just maintain the myth and leave it at that. Too much attention will ruin the intrigue.

I have one and have tried to buy more since (in fact, Derek, I was the underbidder on that Bowerman) but I recognize the mystique has its limits. It makes a great story and I tell visitors who inquire about my cards this provenance story the first chance I get. It rejuvenates their interest following their disappointment when I have to say, "No, I don't have a Honus Wagner." I am happy keeping it as a tale without proof...
Agreed! I have never seen any concrete proof that ties the stamp and the person. In fact most stamps of the day had all three of the persons initials,, why not F. S. F. then it might be more plausible. Perhaps an urban legend. And, yes I have one, acquired who knows where in the last 20 years.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:05 PM
Paul

Default Initials

Scott, perhaps all three initials are there if you look closely.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:33 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

I've identified all of my childhood collection with a similar 'F' stamping on the back, and rest well at night, safe in the knowledge that my heirs should enjoy a hefty premium when they sell off all of those 1990-93 Topps, Donruss and Fleer cards in 100 years or so.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkaufman View Post
Scott, perhaps all three initials are there if you look closely.
Paul, I see what you are saying, there does appear to be the possibility of combined initials, but I don't think that was the intention on the stamp. I still think it's a lone F in a very fancy font.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:37 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

It's a pretty standard lone Old English 'F'

Also, if what was said in post #2 from the thread below is accurate regarding the stamp appearing on cards issued after Fitzgerald's death, I really don't understand the continued speculation. Is that statement (in post #2) erroneous, or is the legend and its associated premium pricing just that much more appealing than reality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
Seen em listed on ebay from time to time. I think I remember someone disproving they were Fitzgeralds as some cards showed up that had the same stamp on the back but the cards were issued after his death. I could be misremembering. Also somewhere someone pointed out that he would have used FSFL as his name I think was Francis Scott Fitzgerald Lanihan or something like that. In other words I don't know.

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 06-24-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:49 PM

Default I wish I could misremember more myself on occasion

"Also, if what was said in post #2 from the thread below is accurate regarding the stamp appearing on cards issued after Fitzgerald's death, I really don't understand the continued speculation. Is that statement (in post #2) erroneous, or is the legend and its associated premium pricing just that much more appealing than reality?"

The poster, as he put it himself, "misremembered" the situation. What has put added scrutiny to the long standing F.Scott claim was my post concerning the 1910 Obak that has this same Old English 'F' stamp. Here is the thread from last year:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ght=fitzgerald

Definitely an interesting and intriquing topic...would love if someone would come across some early mention of it within the hobby.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 06-24-2014 at 01:51 PM. Reason: I disremembered to misremember
Old 06-24-2014, 05:41 PM

Default I beleive it.....

can't wait for it to be proven.....just get yours slabbed now before some douche and a rumber stamp decides to do dirty.....

I had mine slabbed a few years ago....the topps co. slabbed yours for you perfect insurance there!
Old 06-24-2014, 05:43 PM

Default btw...

if you notice, they are stamped on a majority of epdgs