NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-19-2014, 08:59 PM

Default Help at the National

I need some help at the National because I'm afraid I will be in over my head. I'm going to be there Saturday and looking for advice as to what booths I should go to for cards in the 50's and 60's? A couple of questions I have are:

Will they have prices on their cards?
Are they all competitive or is there a pretty big price difference from booth to booth?
Are there any "good guys" that you like to buy from?

Thanks for any help. Can't wait to see just some amazing stuff!!
Old 07-20-2014, 07:00 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Sounds like you will be in over your head.

But don't let that intimidate you. The best advice I can give you is to be an "educated consumer". Know as much about the cards you are looking for and the range of prices that they sell for (check ebay - VCP and Card Target before you go). Armed with that information you will make decisions that work well for you regardless of who you are buying from. If you communicate to a seller that you are an educated consumer - ie. "that card has sold routinely on ebay in that grade for $$$ - if you are willing to sell for that, I'm a buyer" or "VCP in a PSA 5 is $$$, I'm interested but at $$$"- you assure yourself that you will not be "taken for a ride". Depending on the integrity of someone who has a vested interest in making a sale is in my humble opinion a bit naive (That said there are a handful out there with that level of integrity - imho). Most of all - have a blast!
Old 07-20-2014, 08:14 AM
Richard D

Default 2 cents

Speaking as someone who has only been to a handful of Nationals over the last few years, here are my thoughts:
Being as you will only be there for one day, you will not see it all. It takes me the entire 5 days to feel like I have thoroughly gotten through the room.
Many dealers do not have prices on their stuff, and I generally avoid these dealers until the end (just me, I like to see prices).
There are deals to be had and prices will vary. But if you are under a time restriction, you won't be able to see everything and then decide.
The previous advice is sound - know what you want and are willing to pay. If you find it, go for it. Dress comfortably and enjoy it!
Good luck!
Old 07-20-2014, 06:27 PM
K1rk K3ith

Default National

Check out booth 617 716... Uncle dick has a ton of vintage.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:29 AM
Pa.ul Mat.is.ak

A guy I have bought a lot of stuff from over the years is Jack's Cards. Booth #1025 - by the ferris wheel. Its all raw and always reasonable priced.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:20 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I moved this from a BST section to elicit more responses for our board member...Good luck!!
Old 07-21-2014, 10:00 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Help at the National

Please stop by booth 1425/1524. Gary Nuchereno and I have a large inventory of 50s and 60s. All cards are priced (competitively, we hope). And we're great guys. too.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:46 AM
Don Hontz

Check out my booth #1129 (near ferris wheel) I am loaded with psa 1950's and 60's sticker price on all cards---thanks and good luck. Don Hontz
Old 07-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Tim Newcomb

Default +1 on Gary Nuchereno and Ed Hans, plus others

There are a number of really great folks "who just happen to be dealers" and they will treat you right. I don't do that much with 50s and 60s material anymore so I will leave it to others to mention other folks, but I can vouch for these guys:

1. Gary and Ed are terrific.

2. Uncle Dick (DeCourcy) has a huge following among collectors and is a very helpful guy. Look for people lined up two or three deep, LOL.

3. Bill Henderson always has tons of postwar stuff in all grades and is reasonable to deal with.

4. Jerry Nelson and Kurt Tourdot - top-notch guys all the way.

5. J.D. Heckathorn also!

Have fun!
Old 07-21-2014, 03:27 PM
Mike

I second JD Heckathorn and add Wayne Johnson who sets up with JD
Old 07-21-2014, 06:28 PM
Scott Ti3k

Check out Monster Cards (Tony) Table #s 216/220... I have dealt with him at the local show here in St. Louis. One of the good ones!

Thanks,
Scott
Old 07-21-2014, 06:45 PM
Marty Pritchard

I have more than 60 boxes of raw baseball cards from the 50's and 60's. Each card is individually sleeved and priced in numerical order. The conditions range from good to near mint. I, All Marty's Stuff, will be in booth 1813.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:51 PM
Todd Schultz

I'll vouch for Marty, although he may consider my endorsement to be worse than no endorsement at all.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:27 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Three is no shortage of cards from the 50's and 60s (unless you mean the 1860s). Don't buy anything for the first half of the time you are at the show. Just compare prices. Take a notebook so you remember who had what and at what price. Hopefully, you will then know the market, and in the second half of the day go back to the best sellers and negotiate. On that kind of stuff, unless it is really high grade or really scarce, bid no more than 75% of their asking price as a starting point.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:36 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default Todd Schultz IS a bad person

so don't listen to anything he says (Except for his opinion of Marty, which is fine)--

PS: (I hope you can tell from this post that Todd and I are old friends...)
Old 07-21-2014, 08:45 PM
Archive

Pick up a free National program when you arrive near the show entrance. Inside the program, there is usually a map of the floor layout and all the booth numbers. This will help you remember tables with nice cards you are interested in buying and still be able to shop around and go back to those booths if you decide to buy more or feel the deals were better.

Jantz
Old 07-22-2014, 09:02 PM
George Gogol

I always buy from Dave Schroeder (sorry Dave if I spelled your name wrong) of Bagger Sports cards. My father and I have been loyal customer for years. We only spend a couple of hundred dollars each, and he treats as if we spend thousands. He and his wife are exceptional, fair people! If I find his table number I will post it.