NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-08-2015, 05:16 PM

Default How did SGC decide to add cards to a set checklist?

Okay, I may be asking a dumb question - but does anyone know what process the Standard Catalogue used to add cards to a set checklist? What was their quality control process for set additions?

For example, in the 2010 SGC edition, they added Walt Babare to the 1923 W572 checklist.

But ... there has never been a graded version of this card. There has never been a public photo of this card. Every advanced collector of the set that I know has this card on their want list. When you talk to these collectors and dealers, no one has ever even seen the card. Further, these cards were printed in 10 player strips, and there were already 120 known cards (a number divisable by 10) which is also a common print number for many sets of the era - so 120 was a pretty logical set total and 121 is pretty illogical (maybe even unlikely).

So how did they decide to add this card? Did they actually see it?

I know there are cases in which a new card is discovered and widely known, so it's not a surprise to add it to the list. But there are other cases, like this, in which there is no known explanation for the addition. How do I even know this isn't some T206 Magie type printing error by the Standard Catalogue?

Oh ... and if you have a W572 Barbare ... please feel free to show it. That would render my question moot!

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 01-08-2015, 05:36 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default BB card guides

That's very similar to looking at prices of these incredibly scarce 60s Topps insert/regonials/test issue,etc..

They start the description with " not actually a set, or never really issued, or only a few escaped out the back door of Topps factory,etc... but yet there they are with prices for all cards in the set..and prices for these 'almost never seen " cards...in THREE conditions !...quite silly
Old 01-08-2015, 05:41 PM
Ken McMillan

good question. The 120 cards make sense. I am sown to needing 16 cards from the W572 set.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:35 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

For the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards, I've added a couple of cards to the checklist just by emailing the person in charge and showing a scan of the card. I assume that something similar was done for the Walt Barbare card. Who is Walt Barbare, btw? I tried to look him up in Baseball Reference, but no one came up.

Here's another thread on tough cards in the W572 set: Link
Old 01-09-2015, 08:40 AM

He was a SS on Boston.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...arbawa01.shtml

He has a e120 card and an exhibit card as well. Not sure if he was in any other sets.

Cheers,
Patrick