NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 12:39 AM
Michael I.

Default I know...I know not a autograph

I like to come here from time to time and just share my life with you guys...I had never shot a deer before last year. I have always loved the taste of venison but never hunted before but this year I was out of meat so I gave deer hunting a shot. My father in law has a wonderful farm so I set out to get my own meat for the family I think I did good!!! a 300 lb and 16 point buck! This truly a great year for me...Do any of you guys have any great stories about your year.

Last edited by w7imel; 12-28-2016 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:48 AM
Chris

never hunted deer before and shot a 16pt first time? That's crazy!
Old 12-26-2016, 06:16 AM
David L.

Boooo

Please move this to the appropriate section and give a proper title for those who don't want to be surprised and saddened by your dead animal pic.

Last edited by david_l; 12-26-2016 at 06:58 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:44 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

leon, please get this out of here
Old 12-26-2016, 06:49 AM
Jeff

Hopefully my tongue isn't hanging out like that when I bite the dust!

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 12-26-2016, 06:53 AM
Richard Simon

I much prefer live animals. I went on multiple whale watches this year and every one was a success.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CSC_5223.jpg (76.0 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg CSC_4972.jpg (78.5 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg CSC_4625.jpg (77.9 KB, 327 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 12-26-2016, 07:10 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
I much prefer live animals. I went on multiple whale watches this year and every one was a success.
+1

The photo of that dead deer really bothers me.

Not appropriate here.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 12-26-2016 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:14 AM
Kevin O'Gara

To each his own, stop crying ..
Old 12-26-2016, 07:18 AM
David L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkco4bls View Post
Spoken like someone who really values a community
Old 12-26-2016, 07:19 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
If I want to cry, I will cry.

It's not appropriate here!!!
Old 12-26-2016, 07:36 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7imel View Post
I like to come here from time to time and just share my life with you guys...I had never shot a deer before last year. I have always loved the taste of venison but never hunted before but this year I was out of meat so I gave deer hunting a shot. My father in law has a wonderful farm so I set out to get my own meat for the family I think I did good!!! a 300 lb and 16 point buck! This truly a great year for me...Do any of you guys have any great stories about your year to tell?
I am not highly oversensitive so I will say awesome murder. That thing is huge and you did not do good you did GREAT. I am not a big fan of deer meat, don't mind it as much if soaked in milk to remove the deer taste.

I live in a small town of about 13,000 and live in the center of town. It has been around a month ago I was walking out to get in my Jeep with my dog. When I looked up a buck around the size of that one was around 300' away and running directly at us. Luckily my dog never noticed so I got him inside the vehicle before he noticed it. Could see that ending very badly if he seen the deer and ran over to play with it. Anyway this huge buck is running directly at me still and jumping up and down while running. I am looking for a place to run just in case I need to. This huge buck stops just across the street maybe 50' away at most. He jumps straight up in the air twice and turned around and the last I say him he was running across the court house lawn. I have seen many deer around the edge of town but never in the center, it is 2 miles in any direction from my house to the edge of town.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:48 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
This is in the wrong place and with a lousy title. That is what people are complaining about.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 12-26-2016, 07:51 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
This is in the wrong place and with a lousy title. That is what people are complaining about.
+1

Photos of a shot and dead animal doesn't belong here.

Period.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:05 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
+1

Photos of a shot and dead animal doesn't belong here.

Period.
I do agree it is in the wrong section.

To get it back on track does anybody have a Enos "Country" Slaughter auto they want to actually sell.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:12 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I do agree it is in the wrong section.

To get it back on track does anybody have a Enos "Country" Slaughter auto they want to actually sell.
I'll send you a PM, Ben.

I forgot all about that.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:35 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

No problem with hunting. Still wrong section and should be clearly titled.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Problem with hunting. Hate it. Understand it. Not appropriate ANYWHERE AT ALL ON THIS BOARD WHILE I AM IN CHARGE. If it happens again either an infraction will be given or the member will be banned. And the pics are being removed. If you don't like my attitude then leave.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:51 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
problem with hunting. Hate it. Understand it. Not appropriate anywhere at all on this board while i am in charge. If it happens again either an infraction will be given or the member will be banned. And the pics are being removed. If you don't like my attitude then leave.
+100

Thank you, Leon.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 12-26-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
+100

Thank you, Leon.
No prob Chris. I don't dislike people that hunt. My dad hunts. At his 79th birthday last year he had killed a wild hog and roasted it in the ground. It was great meat and the pigs are a major problem in the area. I am not even really against hunting, I just don't want to see the aftermath on this board. I know a lot of our members are hunters and there is no problem. Just keep it off of this board for baseball cards and sports stuff (not hunting sports, that isn't a sport, imo)
Old 12-26-2016, 09:13 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
No prob Chris. I don't dislike people that hunt. My dad hunts. At his 79th birthday last year he had killed a wild hog and roasted it in the ground. It was great meat and the pigs are a major problem in the area. I am not even really against hunting, I just don't want to see the aftermath on this board. I know a lot of our members are hunters and there is no problem. Just keep it off of this board for baseball cards and sports stuff (not hunting sports, that isn't a sport, imo)
I don't like hunting.

Thank you, Leon, for removing that photo.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:17 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

To contradict my statement above a little bit, I don't like hunting either in general, but there can be a time and place for it. Thinning the herd is not a bad alternative to starvation. The hunting should be done as humanely as possible. Animals shouldn't suffer...... I have an appt in 1 hour at the vet with our oldest of 5 dogs. She is sick and I feel really bad for her. There isn't a bigger animal lover on the board. Mainly, I don't like it when animals suffer.

Quote:
I don't like hunting.

Thank you, Leon, for removing that photo.

Last edited by Leon; 12-26-2016 at 11:39 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-26-2016, 09:25 AM
David L.

Quote:
I don't either, in general, but there can be a time and place for it. Thinning the herd is not a bad alternative to starvation. The hunting should be done as humanely as possible. Animals shouldn't suffer...... I have an appt in 1 hour at the vet with our oldest of 5 dogs. She is sick and I feel really bad for her. There isn't a bigger animal lover on the board. Mainly, I don't like it when animals suffer.
Best of luck at the vet. I understand what you're going through. We put our sixteen year old dog down a few months ago. Our other dog turns 17 (!) next week. For old dogs, a trip to the vet is usually a worrisome, expensive, and depressing affair.

Here's hoping your vet can address the problem without being too invasive.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:27 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
I don't either, in general, but there can be a time and place for it. Thinning the herd is not a bad alternative to starvation. The hunting should be done as humanely as possible. Animals shouldn't suffer...... I have an appt in 1 hour at the vet with our oldest of 5 dogs. She is sick and I feel really bad for her. There isn't a bigger animal lover on the board. Mainly, I don't like it when animals suffer.
I hope your dog is okay, Leon.

We had to take our dog to the vet at 2AM two weeks ago and after having to leave him their overnight for a battery of tests, we discovered he has a leaky heart valve.

He's stable now, but will be on meds for the rest of his life.

Again, Leon, I hope you dog is okay.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I hope your dog is okay, Leon.

We had to take our dog to the vet at 2AM two weeks ago and after having to leave him their overnight for a battery of tests, we discovered he has a leaky heart valve.

He's stable now, but will be on meds for the rest of his life.

Again, Leon, I hope you dog is okay.
Thanks Chris and David
We have had Trixie since she was a few months old and she is about 13 yrs now. I hope it's just a stomach virus. The worst thing about owning pets is when they get old and have to leave us. Very, very sad.....But I think Trixie should have a few good years left in her. We'll see what the vet says....Trixie should be being evaluated in just about 30 minutes now....
Old 12-26-2016, 10:08 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

As for the deer hunting post and picture he should post it where somebody cares about hunting.. Maybe on the Field and Stream magazine website or some other site/blog dedicated to hunting. While I respect hunting and its purposes I personally find it terribly appalling.
Additionally, I will say that I am surprised that a respected collector and contributor to this forum would post something so Off Thread and appalling as what he did....Come On Man !!!

PS Leon I hope your dog is OK .There is always special bond between dogs and their owners.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:29 AM
Scott

im a cat lover, more than people. Pets are awesome, best of luck to you Leon from Callie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIN_20161226_10_25_52_Pro.jpg (72.9 KB, 231 views)
Old 12-26-2016, 11:05 AM
Charlie

While a 16pt'er is quite an accomplishment to a hunter, it's not something you can really share with non-hunters.

Shooting a defenseless animal? Now, take on a full grown Grizzly with just a Bowie knife and I'll REALLY be impressed

Leon, best of luck with Trixie. It sucks when our pets are ill because they can't tell us what's wrong

Personally, I just can't like people who don't like animals.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:12 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
im a cat lover, more than people. Pets are awesome, best of luck to you Leon from Callie
I love cats also, Scott.

Our dog Drake and two cats (Callie and Lily...both rescued by us from the outdoors).

DrakeCallieLily-2.jpg
Old 12-26-2016, 11:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Trixie is staying at the vet for now. She is dehydrated and had some bacteria in her stool. But the vet isn't sure that is what it is. She didn't have a temperature and no blockage in the xray taken so far. She feels really bad though. The doctor (actually a pretty hot Vet ) said she would call with an update later. Thanks for the warm wishes for her, guys.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:35 AM
S Vincent

I feel like when Leon said this forum needed more threads....this isn't what he meant.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:36 AM
David L.

Sorry to hear that. Leaving your pet behind at the vet is really hard. Hopefully your vet will quickly figure out what's wrong and Trixie will be home and feeling better soon.

Cute pets everyone!
Old 12-26-2016, 11:45 AM
Belltown Vintage

Good luck with your dog, Leon. The geriatric pet years are painful but also very wonderful and different from the 'pet in their prime' years.

Mike is just very passionate about everything and wasn't thinking it would offend anyone. Big mistake, but still the truth. That is much better than the many on the internet who intentionally horrify people. Mike is definitely an above-average internet guy.

The wild hog hunt post was timely for me. I was watching a football game at the local pub the other night, when I noticed they were showing a helicopter boar hunt on the other television. I understand all the reasons that it's okay to do what they were doing, but after watching the celebration as they tossed the bodies in their pickup trucks while the show's celebratory music played in the background, I would be okay with a hunting helicopter malfunction.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Scott, thanks for the comments and I agree concerning the OP (hi Mike). No harm was intended, I am sure of that. It's just the animal lover in a lot of us doesn't like killing animals, me included. I don't like the killing of animals at all but sometimes it's necessary (at least in our current situation) for different reasons. Now, if we could trap and spay/neuter and release, that would be a way better way of population control. This all said, I am meat eater, so guess I am also hypocritical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Good luck with your dog, Leon. The geriatric pet years are painful but also very wonderful and different from the 'pet in their prime' years.

Mike is just very passionate about everything and wasn't thinking it would offend anyone. Big mistake, but still the truth. That is much better than the many on the internet who intentionally horrify people. Mike is definitely an above-average internet guy.

The wild hog hunt post was timely for me. I was watching a football game at the local pub the other night, when I noticed they were showg a helicopter boar hunt on the other television. I understand all the reasons that it's okay to do what they were doing, but after watching the celebration as they tossed the bodies in their pickup trucks while the show's celebratory music played in the background, I would be okay with a hunting helicopter malfunction.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:10 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Scott, thanks for the comments and I agree concerning the OP (hi Mike). No harm was intended, I am sure of that. It's just the animal lover in a lot of us doesn't like killing animals, me included. I don't like the killing of animals at all but sometimes it's necessary (at least in our current situation) for different reasons. Now, if we could trap and spay/neuter and release, that would be a way better way of population control. This all said, I am meat eater, so guess I am also hypocritical.
Very emotional subject for many of us.

Like Scott wrote, I, too, am certain that Mike didn't mean any harm.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:27 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
This all said, I am meat eater, so guess I am also hypocritical.
I am also a meat-eating hypocrite, but giving it more thought and considering a change.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:48 PM
Michael I.

Guys really no harm was meant! I thought this being a mostly sport site that some sportsman things could be shared. My local paper had pictures of me and deer in the paper and not one person complained. I guess maybe where I live its more acceptable to hunt. I was just wanting to share a very good day with you guys.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7imel View Post
I was just wanting to share a very good day with you guys.
Not such a good day for the deer.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I am also a meat-eating hypocrite, but giving it more thought and considering a change.
I switched to whole food, plant based lifestyle this year. Lost 45 lbs, but much more importantly, significant reduction in inflammation, arthritis, cholesterol, and triglyceride levels. I was on the fast track to meds, but no longer. Had my first meat in 6 months at Xmas eve dinner as a matter of receiving hospitality of the host. But back to it and feeling awesome. Consider it.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:36 PM
Jeff

Not a hunter but raised by a long lineage of hunters on both sides of my family tree. No issues with it at all. To each their own.
I would agree that this is a strange place to post your latest "pick up."

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 12-26-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:38 PM
Michael I.

You are correct David I really was just trying to share a great day for me and my family. We have always had family or friends that would give us venison and we love to eat it because its flavor is great and its very heart healthy having nearly zero fat. I had wanted to give back to friends and family who provided us over the years. I took up deer hunting on a whim and got a deer that is one of the biggest shot in my state. I just thought you guys might be interested in something other than the usual. Again in no way was I trying to upset anyone here just wanted to share.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:49 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
So you are thinking about taking up hunting??
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 12-26-2016, 06:07 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
So you are thinking about taking up hunting??
I was thinking that if I wasn't willing to do the killing, then I shouldn't eat it.

Since I have never had the guts to shell a bean or pull up a carrot, I have no choice but to take up hunting.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:33 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
I was thinking that if I wasn't willing to do the killing, then I shouldn't eat it.

Since I have never had the guts to shell a bean or pull up a carrot, I have no choice but to take up hunting.
I've seen Fudd try to pull up a carrot and it can be dangerous! Wasckly Wabbits!
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 12-26-2016, 11:43 PM
Robert Klevens

Quote:
That's why I became a vegan nearly three years ago. My only regret is that I waited until I was 46. It is the best choice for the animals, your health and the environment.

http://www.befairbevegan.com/
Old 12-27-2016, 04:54 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigecollectibles View Post
That's why I became a vegan nearly three years ago. My only regret is that I waited until I was 46. It is the best choice for the animals, your health and the environment.

http://www.befairbevegan.com/
To be fair the horrible web page you posted highly offends me much more than the deer picture.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
To be fair the horrible web page you posted highly offends me much more than the deer picture.
That is just crazy to me. But hey, there are crazy people everywhere!!

BTW, my 13 yrs old dog has acute kidney failure and is still on IV at the vet. They don't know if she is going to make it. I held her for about 15 minutes this morning, in the back of the vet where the sick dogs are kept. I brought her rotisserie chicken blended in white rice (all made this morning) but she still won't eat. I brought a blanket from home so she can have her "home" smell in her little cage up there. They have her on antibiotics too. I will probably pick her up late this evening and bring her home for the night. WE are hopeful but it's touch and go. It is so sad when our best friends are sick....
Old 12-27-2016, 08:34 AM
Dan Bretta

Sorry to hear this Leon.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:39 AM
Ben North

Quote:
That is just crazy to me. But hey, there are crazy people everywhere!!

BTW, my 13 yrs old dog has acute kidney failure and is still on IV at the vet. They don't know if she is going to make it. I held her for about 15 minutes this morning, in the back of the vet where the sick dogs are kept. I brought her rotisserie chicken blended in white rice (all made this morning) but she still won't eat. I brought a blanket from home so she can have her "home" smell in her little cage up there. They have her on antibiotics too. I will probably pick her up late this evening and bring her home for the night. WE are hopeful but it's touch and go. It is so sad when our best friends are sick....
Did you look at the site? It talks about how ALL animals are basically tortured and murdered.

Very sorry to hear about you dog Leon. When I had to make the decision to put my Rottweiler Samson down because he was suffering from bone cancer I made him a Ribeye steak and slept on the floor with him his last night. It is crazy how much we love our pets. Tearing up just thinking about it. Good luck with you family member.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:41 AM
Robert Klevens

If the idea of not harming animals offends you. please seek help.

Quote:
Old 12-27-2016, 08:54 AM
octavio ranzola

Default thanks leon

me and my dog finn wish you the best .thank you for being an animal lover octavio
Closed Thread