NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-11-2022, 08:51 AM
pete ullman

Default Ebays new certification dealio

I won this raw card on eBay a few weeks ago and it went through their new certification program. Probably added a week or two to my delivery. I see this as an interim step whereas the ultimate owner of this card will likely send it to the slabbed.

Last thing I want is a new irregularly sized case that I need to figure out how to store with the rest of my collection.
Old 03-11-2022, 09:09 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I won this raw card on eBay a few weeks ago and it went through their new certification program. Probably added a week or two to my delivery. I see this as an interim step whereas the ultimate owner of this card will likely send it to the slabbed.

Last thing I want is a new irregularly sized case that I need to figure out how to store with the rest of my collection.
So what was the actual cause of the week or two in delayed delivery?

Just throw it in the garbage like any other unwanted shipping materials, problem solved.
Old 03-11-2022, 09:11 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Wow. Not if, but when Ebay starts charging for this service, I’ll be curious to see how much. That packaging cant be cheap, let alone the service.
Old 03-11-2022, 09:16 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Apparently ebay doesn't hire anyone it is a contracted job. Some bs no name grading company has the contract. I called about a position and was given that info.

Member since 2009
Old 03-11-2022, 09:20 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
So what was the actual cause of the week or two in delayed delivery?

Just throw it in the garbage like any other unwanted shipping materials, problem solved.
i assume was the delay was the process of certifying the card, ben.

My point is they put the card in a cardsaver with a sticker ensuring the authentication. I don't store any of my cards in card savers? Thy're flimsy and large. So I remove it and the authentication is naught?

I'm guessing at some point they may offer a slab for a fee...This is kinda what I thought I was going to get.
Old 03-11-2022, 09:21 AM
Tony Baldwin

Will ebay eventually start slabbing these cards? I would be concerned to send an Ebay authenticated card to PSA to be slabbed and PSA disagrees.
Old 03-11-2022, 09:38 AM
Ben North

Quote:

My point is they put the card in a cardsaver with a sticker ensuring the authentication. I don't store any of my cards in card savers? Thy're flimsy and large. So I remove it and the authentication is naught?

I'm guessing at some point they may offer a slab for a fee...This is kinda what I thought I was going to get.
The tracking will show if it was the USPS or the authentication.

A little different but the same. They have been doing it for FREE with sneakers for easily over a year. They put this silly button thing on sneakers. I just cut them off and throw them in the garbage as I wear them. The sealed card saver can also easily be opened and thrown away. I can't imagine it adds any value.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ebay.jpg (193.9 KB, 810 views)
Old 03-11-2022, 11:14 AM
Steve Birmingham

Does Ebay accept it's own auhentication? Or if you sell it in their holder does it have to go through them all over again?

And if they do, how long before fakes start turning up (Assuming they haven't already.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:22 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Does Ebay accept it's own auhentication? Or if you sell it in their holder does it have to go through them all over again?

And if they do, how long before fakes start turning up (Assuming they haven't already.
No, it has to go through authentication again.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:29 AM
Chase

Quote:

There is already a thread about this vary subject--eBay's authenticity guarantee and how the cards are sent back to the buyer.

I assume had this card been available two months ago you would have bought it? At that time it would not have gone through the process of authentication, so as was suggested, toss the packaging.

Not sure I see the problem.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:46 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
Apparently ebay doesn't hire anyone it is a contracted job. Some bs no name grading company has the contract. I called about a position and was given that info.
Isn't CSG, the contracted authenticator, actually owned/backed by the same parent company that also owns and operates NGC, PMG, and CGC, the supposed largest coin, paper money, and comic book grading services in the world? Because if so, I wouldn't consider CSG as a "BS no-name grading company", not with that kind of backing/experience/ownership behind them. In fact, the brilliant move to align themselves with the largest online card selling platform in the world is going to give them almost instant recognition, credibility, and acceptance throughout the sports card hobby world. And I specifically used the word "almost" because of people like yourself.

CSG is definitely not some fly-by-night outfit operating out of someone's garage. And so far as I've heard, their pricing and services are so far much better/faster than their biggest competitor that it isn't even close. They are of course going to be playing catch-up to PSA, SGC, and Beckett, but with their grading business experience and obvious business savvy, as demonstrated by their deal with Ebay, they may be catching up a lot faster than you think. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually started their own Registry as well.

Trust me, even though you may not be well acquainted with and care much about CSG, I'd bet my last dollar that Nat Turner and his fellow investors in Collectors Universe/PSA know exactly who and what CSG is and what they represent, and care very much about all that.

Last edited by BobC; 03-28-2022 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-11-2022, 12:00 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
Andrew dude, you need to do better research.

And how could you have missed the 100 threads on here about CSG?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2022, 12:11 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
There is already a thread about this vary subject--eBay's authenticity guarantee and how the cards are sent back to the buyer.

I assume had this card been available two months ago you would have bought it? At that time it would not have gone through the process of authentication, so as was suggested, toss the packaging.

Not sure I see the problem.
I never doubted the authenticity of this card. My point is...to me this service was useless. To many...it may give them piece of mind prior to sending it to some other TPG'er.

But as has been stated...there will likely be conflicting opinions when another set of eyes gives their opinion...then what?

Sorry I didn't see the other thread and thought some might like to see the packaging, etc.

To me...imo ebay would be better off offering some type of slab service.
Old 03-11-2022, 12:35 PM
David M.

Hey, I'm all for it if it can help keep all these clowns selling fake cards from ripping off people buying on Ebay. These people are the future of the hobby, and they may leave the hobby if they get taken advantage of when they try to purchase raw cards. I think it's a logical step to try to avoid fraud in a hobby that has had too many rip-off artists taking advantage of new collectors.
Old 03-11-2022, 12:45 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Wow. Not if, but when Ebay starts charging for this service, I’ll be curious to see how much. That packaging cant be cheap, let alone the service.
Given that it's only on high-dollar cards, on which they're already making $60+ in fees, they can easily afford the $10 or so (likely less) that this is costing them.
Old 03-11-2022, 12:46 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
Hey, I'm all for it if it can help keep all these clowns selling fake cards from ripping off people buying on Ebay. These people are the future of the hobby, and they may leave the hobby if they get taken advantage of when they try to purchase raw cards. I think it's a logical step to try to avoid fraud in a hobby that has had too many rip-off artists taking advantage of new collectors.
+1
Old 03-11-2022, 12:51 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
for sure
Old 03-11-2022, 01:46 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
I never doubted the authenticity of this card. My point is...to me this service was useless. To many...it may give them piece of mind prior to sending it to some other TPG'er.

But as has been stated...there will likely be conflicting opinions when another set of eyes gives their opinion...then what?

Sorry I didn't see the other thread and thought some might like to see the packaging, etc.

But Pete, don't forget that you, I, and others on Net54 are usually way more savvy and experienced in regards to sports cards and what are, or are not, fakes. Ebay isn't doing this for us, they're doing it for the potential millions of new customers that don't know squat about cards, but would maybe like to get involved as they keep hearing and reading more and more about the rising interest (and value/prices) of cards.

One of the original ideas behind TPGs and slabbing cards was to protect online buyers from getting ripped off with fakes. But with the current costs and times it takes with some TPGs to currently get cards graded, it has already been discussed how when it at least comes to lower/mid-grade commons and cards in poor shape, not many people are as likely going to continue to waste the time and money to get such cards fully graded and slabbed anymore if it doesn't result in more profit for a seller. Ebay's authentication program at least gives all these potentially new and inexperienced customers a safe way to still buy ungraded, lower priced cards, and yet feel protected from getting ripped off.

And it may actually generate more revenue for Ebay and some sellers. Think about it, if you're willing to bid $450-$475 on a raw card you maybe aren't 100% certain is legit, why not bump up your bid to $500 to make sure it goes into the raw card authentication protocol. Spending an extra $25-$50 to ensure you are getting a legit card is way better to some than taking a chance they'll lose $450-$475 on what later on may turn out to be an unauthentic card.

And Ebay is not stupid, and if anything, is extremely business savvy. I'm confident they've run all kinds of projections and studies to weigh the costs and efforts of starting up this authentication process and determining that offering it for free, at least initially, will end up being more profitable for them in some manner over the long run. In fact, the awfully quick lowering of this authentication threshold from $750 down to $500 makes me even more confident that Ebay has done an extreme amount of research on this topic. Enough to monitor it very closely and make such a dramatic change to the program right after starting it and getting initial feedback to the overall program.

We'll see how good a job Ebay did in projecting the outcome from putting this in place as time goes by, and what their next move(s) is.
Old 03-11-2022, 02:13 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
But Pete, don't forget that you, I, and others on Net54 are usually way more savvy and experienced in regards to sports cards and what are, or are not, fakes. Ebay isn't doing this for us, they're doing it for the potential millions of new customers that don't know squat about cards, but would maybe like to get involved as they keep hearing and reading more and more about the rising interest (and value/prices) of cards.

One of the original ideas behind TPGs and slabbing cards was to protect online buyers from getting ripped off with fakes. But with the current costs and times it takes with some TPGs to currently get cards graded, it has already been discussed how when it at least comes to lower/mid-grade commons and cards in poor shape, not many people are as likely going to continue to waste the time and money to get such cards fully graded and slabbed anymore if it doesn't result in more profit for a seller. Ebay's authentication program at least gives all these potentially new and inexperienced customers a safe way to still buy ungraded, lower priced cards, and yet feel protected from getting ripped off.

And it may actually generate more revenue for Ebay and some sellers. Think about it, if you're willing to bid $450-$475 on a raw card you maybe aren't 100% certain is legit, why not bump up your bid to $500 to make sure it goes into the raw card authentication protocol. Spending an extra $25-$50 to ensure you are getting a legit card is way better to some than taking a chance they'll lose $450-$475 on what later on may turn out to be an unauthentic card.

And Ebay is not stupid, and if anything, is extremely business savvy. I'm confident they've run all kinds of projections and studies to weigh the costs and efforts of starting up this authentication process and determining that offering it for free, at least initially, will end up being more profitable for them in some manner over the long run. In fact, the awfully quick lowering of this authentication threshold from $750 down to $500 makes me even more confident that Ebay has done an extreme amount of research on this topic. Enough to monitor it very closely and make such a dramatic change to the program right after starting it and getting initial feedback to the overall program.

We'll see how good a job Ebay did in projecting the outcome from putting this in place as time goes by, and what their next move(s) is.
Great points, Bob. The more I hear people discuss this initiative, the more I start to warm up to it. I do think Eddie Plank deserves better than a card saver, though!
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 03-11-2022, 03:00 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Great points, Bob. The more I hear people discuss this initiative, the more I start to warm up to it. I do think Eddie Plank deserves better than a card saver, though!
LOL

Matthew,

At the end of the day, Ebay doesn't really care what or how you, I, or anyone else feels or thinks about all this. All they really care about is what will ultimately make them the most money.
Old 03-11-2022, 04:23 PM
Chase

Quote:

Yes to most of us the service is useless but ebay is doing it for themselves and making it seem like they are doing it for us. I would never pay for it as a buyer nor as a seller.

And I agree, at that moment in time that is the way the card is seen. We have all seen countless examples of cards broken out resubmitted to the same or different grading company and the grade is entirely different.

Would be a "great" experiment to take a card and submit it repeatedly to each grading service. Assuming the card does not get damaged my guess is that there would be next to no consistency.

If eBay were to buy CCG, parent co to CSG, I could see a time where they would require cards to be graded (at least over a certain value) before they can be listed.
Old 03-12-2022, 12:25 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
isn't CSG, the contracted authenticator, actually owned/backed by the same parent company that also owns and operates NGC, PMG, and CGC, the supposed largest coin, paper money, and comic book grading services in the world? Because if so, I wouldn't consider CSG as a "BS no-name grading company", not with that kind of backing/experience/ownership behind them. In fact, the brilliant move to align themselves with the largest online card selling platform in the world is going to give them almost instant recognition, credibility, and acceptance throughout the sports card hobby world. And I specifically used the word "almost" because of people like yourself.

CSG is definitely not some fly-by-night outfit operating out of someone's garage. And so far as I've heard, their pricing and services are so far much better/faster than their biggest competitor that it isn't even close. They are of course going to be playing catch-up to PSA, SGC, and Beckett, but with their grading business experience and obvious business savvy, as demonstrated by their deal with Ebay, they may catching up a lot faster than you think. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually started their own Registry as well.

Trust me, even though you may not be well acquainted with and care much about CSG, I'd bet my last dollar that Nat Turner and his fellow investors in Collectors Universe/PSA know exactly who and what CSG is and what they represent, and care very much about all that.
They do, although quite sparse at the moment. But that is to be expected in these early days for them.
https://www.csgcards.com/registry/
Old 03-12-2022, 04:14 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
They do, although quite sparse at the moment. But that is to be expected in these early days for them.
https://www.csgcards.com/registry/
Thanks Bob, did not know they had already set one up. Figured they would though. If there's anyone that looks like they can possibly give PSA a run for their money, it's them. But to do that, they know they'd eventually need a registry to compete. Their hooking up with Ebay as its new card authentication provider is a huge plus for them. And if that program works out well, I can see in the future where they may just expand their service so that if someone who buys a raw card off Ebay wants, they may not just authenticate it, but grade and slab it for the new owner as well. That would at least save the new owner some time, by them not having to wait for the arrival of their new card so they can turn around and send it right back out to a different TPG for grading. Their raw card purchased off Ebay will show up in their mailbox fully graded already. And they'd also save on postage by not having to send their newly purchased card back and forth to a different TPG for grading. You never know.
Old 03-12-2022, 04:31 AM
Ryan Cambi⚾️

So as a raw T206 set builder, when I make an Ebay purchase my card will now be shipped to someone I don't know, opened and handled by that same someone, to be repackaged and shipped out again? Yeah, what could go wrong there?
Old 03-12-2022, 06:43 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFire82 View Post
So as a raw T206 set builder, when I make an Ebay purchase my card will now be shipped to someone I don't know, opened and handled by that same someone, to be repackaged and shipped out again? Yeah, what could go wrong there?
I give up. What?

Old 03-12-2022, 07:57 AM
Jay Shumsky

Maybe they could make everyone happy (although I doubt that's possible) and make the authentication service available as an option for purchases above a certain price instead of requiring it. Then the buyer can decide if they want to take their chance with their own judgement of a card or get another opinion by someone who can actually look at the card in person.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:28 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
I give up. What?

Besides the USPS getting another chance to lose it. The handler could rip the card in half, add tape, use a hole punch on it, trim it, recolor a bad spot, wad it up in their hand, this list could go on and on with examples.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:47 AM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

I like the idea.

To me,it adds a level of protection for the buyer..
Simply put, the physical item will have to be shipped and not some phantom package where it becomes one word vs another..
Of course with all the buyer protection that is probably a moot point.
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 03-15-2022, 07:11 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Sold a 1928 Fro Joy crack fielder #6.

It went to CSG, authenticated and sent to buyer in the authentication packaging.

Buyer sent it back to CSG for grading (they don’t yet have this size holder), so the card was returned to him “service unavailable”.

He then filed a claim with Ebay that the card didn’t match the description and photos and is returning the Ruth.

“This card was sent to CSG in their own box and they refused to authenticate the card! CSG and Ebay have created an issue here. Not my fault and not the seller s fault. I called up and they said they do NOT authenticate Froyo cards. So now I have a card that cannot be authenticated.”

Again, they don’t have that size holder.

Last edited by Clutch-Hitter; 03-15-2022 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-15-2022, 09:10 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

And for FYI on how this process works:

When the buyer wants to return the card after it has been inspected and deemed authentic and as described by CGS, the buyer mails the card back to CGS so they can determine it is in the same condition as when it was sold before mailing it back to the seller. It has been handled by multiple people, including the buyer, who sent it back to CGS for grading. This will be the 3rd time CGS will have received the card.

And so you know, even when CGS determines the card is authentic and as described, the buyer can still return citing not as described.

Last edited by Clutch-Hitter; 03-15-2022 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-15-2022, 09:26 AM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch-Hitter View Post
And for FYI on how this process works:

When the buyer wants to return the card after it has been inspected and deemed authentic and as described by CGS, the buyer mails the card back to CGS so they can determine it is in the same condition as when it was sold before mailing it back to the seller. It has been handled by multiple people, including the buyer, who sent it back to CGS for grading. This will be the 3rd time CGS will have received the card.

And so you know, even when CGS determines the card is authentic and as described, the buyer can still return citing not as described.

Disregard. You already answered my question above.

Last edited by SyrNy1960; 03-15-2022 at 09:32 AM. Reason: edit
Old 03-15-2022, 10:25 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Cluster, I'd like to introduce you to F**k. F**k, meet Cluster.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-15-2022, 10:28 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

The buyer is a big seller on there. ��

Just went to close my store subscription; they want an early cancellation fee of $73.16!

Last edited by Clutch-Hitter; 03-15-2022 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-15-2022, 11:24 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
The buyer is a big seller on there. ��

Just went to close my store subscription; they want an early cancellation fee of $73.16!
that sucks...all of it...so i guess beckett is the only one grading fro joys at the moment. I'm pretty sure I looked on the csg site and fro joys WERE NOT listed as cards THEY DO NOT GRADE?

I was planning on sending them some myself?
Old 03-15-2022, 01:07 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Quote:
that sucks...all of it...so i guess beckett is the only one grading fro joys at the moment. I'm pretty sure I looked on the csg site and fro joys WERE NOT listed as cards THEY DO NOT GRADE?

I was planning on sending them some myself?
They don’t yet have tall boy holders, which I’m assuming is the reason. Thanks

Old 03-16-2022, 01:19 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Thanks Bob, did not know they had already set one up. Figured they would though. If there's anyone that looks like they can possibly give PSA a run for their money, it's them. But to do that, they know they'd eventually need a registry to compete. Their hooking up with Ebay as its new card authentication provider is a huge plus for them. And if that program works out well, I can see in the future where they may just expand their service so that if someone who buys a raw card off Ebay wants, they may not just authenticate it, but grade and slab it for the new owner as well. That would at least save the new owner some time, by them not having to wait for the arrival of their new card so they can turn around and send it right back out to a different TPG for grading. Their raw card purchased off Ebay will show up in their mailbox fully graded already. And they'd also save on postage by not having to send their newly purchased card back and forth to a different TPG for grading. You never know.
Personally I would love to see this process operate as you have described. Your idea of "buy raw and receive it slabbed" would make great sense on several levels, but especially for us collectors up in Canada. To get a card shipped to us, then sent back to get graded, we have to deal with customs and charges twice. I( and other Canadian collectors) would love to cut that down by half.

Regardless, the idea of getting a slabbed card back is appealing.

FWIW, I do look at some of the hockey cards on PWCC (I know, boo, hiss), and tonight I saw more CSG graded hockey cards than I've ever seen. Here s hoping someone can take on PWCC, although I suspect with their new warehouse, PSA will eventually be slabbing more cards than ever.

Last edited by Stampsfan; 03-16-2022 at 01:23 AM.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:09 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Personally I would love to see this process operate as you have described. Your idea of "buy raw and receive it slabbed" would make great sense on several levels, but especially for us collectors up in Canada. To get a card shipped to us, then sent back to get graded, we have to deal with customs and charges twice. I( and other Canadian collectors) would love to cut that down by half.

Regardless, the idea of getting a slabbed card back is appealing.

FWIW, I do look at some of the hockey cards on PWCC (I know, boo, hiss), and tonight I saw more CSG graded hockey cards than I've ever seen. Here s hoping someone can take on PWCC, although I suspect with their new warehouse, PSA will eventually be slabbing more cards than ever.
When I made that observation about how such a service would save the buyer time and shipping costs, I forgot about how much more beneficial that would be for you guys North of the border. And it would likely apply to any other international sales as well.

I'm thinking CSG and Ebay have been talking and planning together for a lot longer than we may have expected. And if CSG can really get their Registry going, and keep their lower grading costs and much faster turnaround times than PSA in place, I can see a lot of collectors really start using them. The cost and time savings alone is huge, but think of this. A newer collector that likes the Registry idea, and wants to get into it, doesn't have to compete against all the big time collections on PSA. In other words, someone starting out right now could realistically have a top ten rated set on CSG's registry, whereas, they may not be able to even crack the top 25 or 50, or even more, sets on PSA's registry. And I sincerely doubt anyone on PSA's Registry is going to suddenly look to cross any sets over to CSG.
Old 03-16-2022, 06:13 AM
Jay Shumsky

Is a registry for CSG really possible or practical? Are there enough raw, high grade vintage cards from enough sets still out there for CSG to grade so that multiple people would have a realistic chance to put together sets for a registry?
Old 03-16-2022, 09:53 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
Is a registry for CSG really possible or practical? Are there enough raw, high grade vintage cards from enough sets still out there for CSG to grade so that multiple people would have a realistic chance to put together sets for a registry?
That's not a problem, there are more high grade vintage cards showing up every day.
Old 03-25-2022, 03:11 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

I just had a vintage card purchase fail eBay's authentication process. The card has a very large and obvious wax stain on the back too. Which the seller clearly shows and mentions. It also has a very slight diamond cut to it, which is common with these. It's definitely not a fake card. This should be interesting.
Old 03-25-2022, 03:14 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
No. Definitely not.

It reminds me of when Google tried to compete with Facebook by creating a social media Google+ network. Nobody used it because everyone they knew and wanted to interact with was using Facebook. And despite Google having nearly endless capital to promote the project and massive name recognition already, it was doomed to fail right from the start.
Old 03-26-2022, 03:23 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I just had a vintage card purchase fail eBay's authentication process. The card has a very large and obvious wax stain on the back too. Which the seller clearly shows and mentions. It also has a very slight diamond cut to it, which is common with these. It's definitely not a fake card. This should be interesting.
I wonder if that gives everyone the all clear to complete the transaction off eBay? Or do you have an option to waive the "authentication"?
Old 03-26-2022, 04:57 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
I wonder if that gives everyone the all clear to complete the transaction off eBay? Or do you have an option to waive the "authentication"?
It has to be authentic and as described by the seller, so that doesn’t necessarily mean they thought it was fake. It’d be informative to have a link to the listing, snowman, if you don’t mind.

Old 03-27-2022, 05:57 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
It has to be authentic and as described by the seller, so that doesn’t necessarily mean they thought it was fake. It’d be informative to have a link to the listing, snowman, if you don’t mind.

Ya, I was thinking it might be because the seller listed it as EX+ condition? I don't know, but if the card looked like it does in the photos, then it should have passed authentication. Maybe he sent a different card on accident? Or maybe there was a hidden crease that wasn't disclosed? Who knows. But the seller has good feedback and the card in the photos is definitely an authentic card.
Old 03-28-2022, 11:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

My main question is how much is this service going to eventually cost?
As for Fro Joys, anyone who wants to sell one please PM me. I should be able to tell and make an offer. It's not rocket science. That said I have seen a card that even one of the best graders, imo, couldn't tell. Then it's a pass, unfortunately. I have never seen him not be able to tell for sure. He's a hobby friend, the head grader at CGS now.... and a longtime member of the forum....
ps...this card is real.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pf52frojoyruth.jpg (112.2 KB, 233 views)

Last edited by Leon; 03-28-2022 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-28-2022, 02:06 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Hey Leon, the Fro Joy #6 I mentioned is real. CSG agreed. I’ll put up some scans tonight
Old 03-29-2022, 06:41 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Here's the Fro Joy Ruth I sold and the pictures the buyer sent after he sent it back to them to find they didn't have tall boy holders.

1928 Fro Joy 06 (A) by Greg Martin, on Flickr

Untitled by Greg Martin, on Flickr

Untitled by Greg Martin, on Flickr

Old 04-06-2022, 05:21 AM
Jay Shumsky

Any thoughts as to why this listing doesn't indicate it will go through authentication? I thought it was now required for cards above $500.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26563221407...AAAOSwcpViTVBs
Old 04-06-2022, 09:28 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Quote:
Any thoughts as to why this listing doesn't indicate it will go through authentication? I thought it was now required for cards above $500.

And not just that card, didn’t see it applicable to any of his other listings either. Didn’t see a single off-center 50s-60s topps card.

Maybe because cigar box is in the title?
Old 04-06-2022, 05:59 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:

From the seller's item description, certain parts bolded by me for emphasis (and I left the sellers' typos as-is):

"RETURN POLICY: My opinion of grade is exactly that..My opinion.. I do not warrnt or in any way represent what grade a third party grading company will assign....I do, however, warrant that all my cards are authentic and unaltered, and will receive a numeric grade if sent in to a reputable grading company. If any card purchased does not receive a numeric grade, I will issue a full refund as well as a $100 rembursement in the unlikely event a card is deemed altered or not authentic.. Best guarantee in the business..You are more thn welcome to return card within 3 days of receipt. However, once sent in for grading, all sales are final, regardless of grade...."

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (193/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra